Sign in to follow this  
Dingus McGirt

50 years ago today...

The Baltimore Colts were beaten by the New York Jets in Superbowl III.  A dark, dark day in the life of then 13 year-old me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The Baltimore Colts were beaten by the New York Jets in Superbowl III.  A dark, dark day in the life of then 13 year-old me.

Same here..... a sickening day it was. :facepalm:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

That was a bad, bad,day.

I was 13 also. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Same here as well.  I was 9 at the time.  Everybody else had a favorite team, but I didn't.  Colts were heavily favored, so why not choose them as my favorite, right?

Needless to say it was a tough game to watch.

• Like 1

That Colts-Jets Super Bowl result still affects me...….. My brother says I am the biggest sports fan pessimist in the history of the human race ! ……...GO COLTS !!!!!

• Like 2

Didn't the outcome of that Super Bowl end up being the catalyst for the NFL that we have today? Instead of AFL and NFL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Funny, I was just becoming a Colt fan at 7 years of age, also liked the Jets.  After the Colts loss, I realized who I really liked, have been an avid Colts fan ever since.  I think all of my Jets bfootball cards spent time on my dartboard for awhile!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

What is worse I live in NY Metro area (die hard Jet fan buddy lived next house over ). Everyone in my high school class knew I was ONLY Colts fan in the whole school......Major...….MAJOR crow eating was part of my life for quite a while !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Didn't the outcome of that Super Bowl end up being the catalyst for the NFL that we have today? Instead of AFL and NFL

That started the movement....

Then,  the next year,  Kansas City upset Minnesota in SB 4.    So, the upstart AFL had upset the established NFL back to back years.     That pushed things over the top.

And the rest is history......

• Like 3

I was 5 years old that day but didn’t know about the loss until I picked  the Colts as my team in Super Bowl 5 against the Cowboys.  They would show highlights of Namath and his prediction for years and J would get mad.  But good news is the Colts have been my team ever since.

I recall that game very much. Earl Morrall had a wide open Jimmy Orr  or Ray Perkins on a flea flicker and never saw him and threw an interception

The Colts that played in Super Bowl 3 and 5, never got over the loss, even after their victory in V. It is the ultimate lost ring. That 1968 13-1 Baltimore Colts team was one of the best of all time. Much superior to the 11-2-1 1970 team that won it all.