Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Draft will be interesting

The top 5 picks already have their QB.

Cardinals - Rosen

49ers - Garoppolo

Jets - Darnold

Raiders - Carr

Bucs - Winston

But there don't seem to be any QBs worth trading up for, so these teams might all stay put and take BPA.

Maybe by the time the Colts are picking, some QB-needy team is trying to trade up to snag one of the QBs still on the board, and Ballard can accumulate more picks...  :thinking:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Cardinals - Rosen

49ers - Garoppolo

Jets - Darnold

Raiders - Carr

Bucs - Winston

But there don't seem to be any QBs worth trading up for, so these teams might all stay put and take BPA.

Maybe by the time the Colts are picking, some QB-needy team is trying to trade up to snag one of the QBs still on the board, and Ballard can accumulate more picks...  :thinking:

They wouldn't trade with us because we would already be at the bottom plus i believe the new coach that Tampa gets will release Winston and fitz

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

They wouldn't trade with us because we would already be at the bottom plus i believe the new coach that Tampa gets will release Winston and fitz

The Ravens traded back up to take Jackson at #32 last year.

And the Bucs GM already said the new coach has to be on board with Winston at QB.

Tampa-bay-buccaneers-gm-says-new-coach-accept-jameis-winston

"Whoever replaces Dirk Koetter must accept Jameis Winston as his quarterback."

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The Ravens traded back up to take Jackson at #32 last year.

And the Bucs GM already said the new coach has to be on board with Winston at QB.

Tampa-bay-buccaneers-gm-says-new-coach-accept-jameis-winston

"Whoever replaces Dirk Koetter must accept Jameis Winston as his quarterback."

well atleast i know were not to go if i were a head coach lol

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 7:48 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

well atleast i know were not to go if i were a head coach lol

Bruce Arians is close to Jason Licht (Bucs GM) and said he will consider the Bucs HC job if Jason calls, in his own words.

Winston had cut down his turnovers as the year went on and played a little better thus keeping the Bucs in games. If Arians goes there, there will be a domino effect and he will bring in Todd Bowles with him for DC from their Cardinals days.

Arians could also possibly Freddie Kitchens from the Browns as OC if Freddie Kitchens and Gregg Williams are let go after the new HC hire with the Browns, I heard.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Arians goes there, there will be a domino effect and he will bring in Todd Bowles with him for DC

Arians could also possibly Freddie Kitchens

That's actually kind of a scary combo if you think about it.

Winston is probably durable enough for Arians system, and has Mike Evans to throw to.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:43 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

Winston is a franchise QB even with his interceptions. His off the field issues have been cleaned up since his rookie year, this Uber issue was from his rookie year. If he's released teams with FLOOD for him, no way he gets released..

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's actually kind of a scary combo if you think about it.

Winston is probably durable enough for Arians system, and has Mike Evans to throw to.

Arians will bring creativity to the offensive system with lots of motion but will also stress the O-line. However, Winston, with his experience, can handle it and has the bonus of using his legs as well. 

Sometimes, I wonder if a play is designed for 20-30 yards down the field and the QB takes the sure fire first down with a check down underneath, would that mean the QB did not follow the play as designed? I know that is bound to happen with the Arians' Air Coryell system more often than not. 

Don't the Colts play the NFC South next year?

On 12/31/2018 at 6:39 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Cardinals - Rosen

49ers - Garoppolo

Jets - Darnold

Raiders - Carr

Bucs - Winston

By the time we're picking all the non-playoff teams will get their chance at a qb. At least pick 21, and probably lower. I think we're standing pat.

3 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

By the time we're picking all the non-playoff teams will get their chance at a qb. At least pick 21, and probably lower. I think we're standing pat.

I'm thinking of a team doing what the Ravens did last year when they picked Hurst and then Jackson.

Use their 1st round pick on BPA, then trade back up to the bottom of the 1st to get a QB that's still available.

We'll see what happens.  Ballard already hit on that 1st round trade last year.  Maybe lightning strikes twice.  :thmup:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Only one of Giants or Jaguars will pick Haskins. Both Haskins and Drew Lock are not going in the top 10, IMO.

So, one of the Giants or Jaguars or even the Broncos might move up from top of round 2 to bottom of round 1 for a QB because of the 5 year contract they can have a rookie QB for. Having that QB for that extra year gives a team enormous flexibility, cap wise.

I would take a current 2nd and a future 1st from the Giants or Broncos for our late 1st rounder, wouldn't you? Even if it is a current 2nd, and a future 2nd and 3rd rounders, I would take it if we are picking in the mid 20s (say 25 or 26). 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

This isnt  great QB class there are only probably 3 guys worth 1st round consideration if that. Giants and Jags back to back need QB's. I dont think the Colts will be drafting in prime QB trade up territory.

You are right and I'm not sure there are even three QB's worth a first round. This is definitely not the year of the college QBs.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

No matter what....... WE DONT WANT DWAYNE HASKINS in the AFC South......

The guy will be the real deal in the NFL

That is OK - I still think Luck is better and we will find a way to win. 

Watson and Mariota are not going anywhere, and we probably won't trade with the Jaguars (feelings might be mutual), so we cannot control that aspect. Watson beat Alabama in the college title game and is a heck of a QB but we still found a way to win against him. I do not think Haskins is better than Watson. Even if he is, I am not worried.

Football is the ultimate team game and I do not think the coaches in the AFC South would strike fear in me as much as a Belichick would. So, let us not get carried away by the "next draft pick QB that is the greatest thing since sliced bread" sentiment with regards to Haskins. Even if he lands in the AFC South, we can still have a better team than his in terms of coaching and a complete "team" constructed by Ballard. 

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is OK - I still think Luck is better and we will find a way to win. 

Watson and Mariota are not going anywhere, and we probably won't trade with the Jaguars (feelings might be mutual), so we cannot control that aspect. Watson beat Alabama in the college title game and is a heck of a QB but we still found a way to win against him. I do not think Haskins is better than Watson. Even if he is, I am not worried.

Football is the ultimate team game and I do not think the coaches in the AFC South would strike fear in me as much as a Belichick would. So, let us not get carried away by the "next draft pick QB that is the greatest thing since sliced bread" sentiment with regards to Haskins. Even if he lands in the AFC South, we can still have a better team than his in terms of coaching and a complete "team" constructed by Ballard. 

I would like Haskins to go to TB or Giants

I have watched many college QBs over the years.

He doesnt get the press, but Haskins is special.

This was his first year to actually start

He set many Big TEN records for passing in this one year

50 passing TDs (Previous record was 39 TDs by Brees)

4831 passing Yards (Brees had 3983, his best year, Luck had 3500 his best year)

Brees and Luck both had 3 years if starting to get those stats.....  Haskins did it year one

As a further comparison, Peyton had 22 TDs his first starting season in College

Andrew Luck had 13 TDs his first year starting

He has a very strong arm with a quick release. He has amazing accuracy.

I am not saying he is unbeatable. 

I just dont want the Colts to face him 2 times per year

He is that good........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

More mocks than I thought have Simmons falling near the 20s so that makes me pretty happy lol I really want that guy 

I would be very happy with Simmons

At times he has been unblockable.

There are so many great options for our round 1 pick.

You guys are forgetting about Jacoby Brissett and Joe Flacco. Both will factor in heavily. Ballard isn’t sending anyone to a division rival so depending on if Haskins comes out, look for a potential trade with the Redskins, Broncos, Giants, or Bucs. We’ll no more once HCs are hired. And don’t forget about Miami either.