Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.J. Green

masters1

After being signed by the Seahawks on Oct 3rd, T.J. just informed the team that he doesn't want to play football any longer and has left the team. Ryan Grigson is a consultant with the Seahawks and I imagine that is how he ended up there in the first place.

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

He had all the talent and tools to be successful, but I think he never really had the desire to play which was his downfall with us and the Seahawks 

He lacked many of the tools to be successful:  poor tackler, poor instincts, slow to recognize/late on plays, out of position quite frequently.  The list is endless of areas he was weak in.

He was a poor safety and does not belong in the NFL.  

5 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

He lacked many of the tools to be successful:  poor tackler, poor instincts, slow to recognize/late on plays, out of position quite frequently.  The list is endless of areas he was weak in.

All those things can be coached. He had elite athleticism, but lacked the desire to get better. He wasn’t coachable it seems. If he was coachable, combined with his athleticism, he would have been successful. But he’s not coachable and doesn’t belong.

4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

I agree, so many people associate measurables with tools.  Tools are things like you mention, tackling ability to read a defense, ability to assimilate things learned in practice to the football field, desire to put the work in to improve, agility to break down fame film, etc.  Those are the tools it takes to succeed in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

All those things can be coached. He had elite athleticism, but lacked the desire to get better. He wasn’t coachable it seems. If he was coachable, combined with his athleticism, he would have been successful. But he’s not coachable and doesn’t belong.

Got it.  Anyone with the requisite physical tools can be coached into a successful NFL safety.

The hundreds of NFL washouts over the years who had the measurables on draft day, all just didn't want to be coached, so they failed.

1 minute ago, MacDee1975 said:

Got it.  Anyone with the requisite physical tools can be coached into a successful NFL safety.

The hundreds of NFL washouts over the years who had the measurables on draft day, all just didn't want to be coached, so they failed.

I’m talking about TJ Green, not the “hundreds of NFL washouts” lol. When 3 different coaching staffs can’t help him improve at anything, and he retires out of nowhere because he doesn’t want to play anymore, that to me tells me he isn’t coachable. He simply doesn’t want to play which is a coaches nightmare.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

I’m talking about TJ Green, not the “hundreds of NFL washouts” lol. When 3 different coaching staffs can’t help him improve at anything, and he retires out of nowhere because he doesn’t want to play anymore, that to me tells me he isn’t coachable. He simply doesn’t want to play which is a coaches nightmare.

Interesting.

When any NFL player washes out of the league, TJ Green or whoever else, it tells me they don't have several of the myriad of skills, physical and mental, you need to be one of the .00000001% of the population who is a successful NFL player.  No amount of coaching will change that if those traits already are not in place.

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pagano wasn't the GM.  The scouts and the GM judge and pick the talent.   Do you really think pagano had time to sit and evaluate college players while coaching an nfl team?

No, I think he was asked to opine on many college players in the 3 months after the season ended.

Check out Jason Garrett's comments about trading for Cooper.  Sounds like his opinion counts.

"This guy is a rolling ball of butcher knives"  Something Pagano said while under duress I'm sure.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No, I think he was asked to opine on many college players in the 3 months after the season ended.

Check out Jason Garrett's comments about trading for Cooper.  Sounds like his opinion counts.

"This guy is a rolling ball of butcher knives"  Something Pagano said while under duress I'm sure.

It goes back to the GM.  The GM is responsible for the talent.   

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It goes back to the GM.  The GM is responsible for the talent.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/10/23/jason-garretts-defense-of-the-amari-cooper-trade-has-one-glaring-hole/38253113/

Even the headline writer knows HCs have huge input into player talent and the draft.  Apparently, many on this forum think they don't.

41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pagano wasn't the GM.  The scouts and the GM judge and pick the talent.   Do you really think pagano had time to sit and evaluate college players while coaching an nfl team?

chuck did say that Green was somebody he really wanted in the draft

you wont find links though, it was verbal in either training camp or preseason.  for what its wroth ballard was also high on green in the draft, but we dont know if he would have used a second on him 

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2018/10/23/jason-garretts-defense-of-the-amari-cooper-trade-has-one-glaring-hole/38253113/

Even the headline writer knows HCs have huge input into player talent and the draft.  Apparently, many on this forum think they don't.

What does that have to do with TJ Green?   

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

They do sometimes depending on the GM. The GM still takes full responsibility because he ultimately has the last say in roster moves.