Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Good Was Nick Harper?

tucky89

50 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

What I remember about him is We could have gone to the Super Bowl if Big Ben doesn’t make a shoe string tackle on him . I still can’t believe it.

I can't either! If he doesn't cut back into the middle of the field there is no chance that Ben would have got him, even with the knife wound to his leg. What a hit Brackett put on the Bus!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

And didn't Peyton get greedy and go for consecutive TD passes instead of moving the chains? Which left the 'shank' with a much longer kick to take it to OT? I may be wrong.

You are correct, that game still stings me today. We were loaded that season. That and the Saints SB are the 2 worse losses in my fandom. Losing to Pitt in the 1995 AFC Title Game was bad as well.

-To answer the OP's question, Harper was Above Average IMO, better than Average but I wouldn't of called him consistently Good either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hammer said:

I can't either! If he doesn't cut back into the middle of the field there is no chance that Ben would have got him, even with the knife wound to his leg. What a hit Brackett put on the Bus!

That's what I remember about him, him getting stabbed in the leg by his wife/girl

5 hours ago, Hammer said:

Remember he got stabbed in the knee by his girlfriend the day before

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

And didn't Peyton get greedy and go for consecutive TD passes instead of moving the chains? Which left the 'shank' with a much longer kick to take it to OT? I may be wrong.

Your absolutely correct.

Instead of getting closer with a couple of first downs Vanderjagt had a much longer attempt(which was the worst kick I've ever seen, looked like it was a 'funny ball'). We still had 2 or 3 timeouts left.

5 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Nick was good enough for Indy to draft on '01..but not good enough to resign after the SB season in '06.  played 3 more years with the Titans before flaring out.

(his ability to play with speed helped, but had issues with taller receivers)

Harper was UDFA.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

On that play before the FG people are talking about he had Edge WIDE OPEN for a 2 yard dumpoffs which I think would have been a first down.

That was not one of our best situational plays.

That is where Brady was ahead, he knew to move the chains and not be greedy during the biggest of moments, and they drafted/signed such backs too, like Kevin Faulk, Shane Vereen, Dion Lewis, James White etc. Once Peyton took more check downs to Addai the next year, it is not a co-incidence we controlled tempo big time and won it all. 

• Like 1

I was at the game you are all talking about. I wish I didn't open this thread! Too many bad memories. I worship the ground Peyton walks on, but those last two passes to Reggie were confusing. Worth remembering, that the OL couldn't protect him even in max protection that day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18to87 said:

I was at the game you are all talking about. I wish I didn't open this thread! Too many bad memories. I worship the ground Peyton walks on, but those last two passes to Reggie were confusing. Worth remembering, that the OL couldn't protect him even in max protection that day.

The whole game was confusing/fishy. I dont think our hifh powered offense dod anything untill mid or late 2nd quarter. We were by far more talented than the Steelers that year. We were supposed to have won easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finball said:

Harper was UDFA.

you are correct.

44 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ashley Ambrose (Bengals) and Ray Buchanan (Falcons)....yeah they went on to Pro Bowl careers after the Colts I believe?

yeah,..'Big Play' Ray was actually one of Indy's best corners ever sadly.

• Like 1

Man are there some crazy threads on the site...  :headspin::headspin::headspin:

1 asking if Frank Reich is on the hot seat...  How foolish is that???

Another saying we should have drafted a QB with our first pick...  Talk about dumb.  

And this thread about Nick Harper.  Now there’s nothing wrong with discussing the past but why a general thread about Nick Harper???  Not about the stabbing or Big Ben tackle but just general about Harper??? 

Damn we need a win bad.  :facepalm:

And by the way Nick was decent. His style of play was similar to D. Buts (Darius Butler).  Not the fastest but crafty and relied on anticipation to make plays. 

• Like 1