Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

They Did Say The World Would End In 2012, But Why?

Coltsagent

I need to know WHY? The press conference did not tell me WHY? Neither one of them ever really said WHY? WHY cant this work? If it was NOT about money than WHY? Salary Cap? You just said it was NOT about money. Rebuilding? Than why not keep Peyton for 1 year to just so the next QB can watch, then trade him and at least get something for the value? Its NOT about money right, then why worry about caps? If it business than WHY not at least get some stinking draft picks for him? Peyton's health? He says he wants to play. WHY was the contract not even part of the discussion or a factor in the discision? If it was the Salary Cap than WHY not just change the contract to lower the cap numbers in the future? WHY do I get the feeling this could have gone either way in that plane ride home? Will we ever know? Part of my identitiy as a person comes from what Peyton represents, that part of me needs to know WHY.

Dont believe in that garbage. The Mayan Calendar doesn't have leap years, so if that were the case we would have been dead months ago. Don't put these threads in Colts Football next time.

Pretty sure his tongue is in his cheek with the title.

I just don't think it would work to have Peyton on the roster with Luck and Jim has decided to take Luck. Peyton wouldn't agree to a 1 year thing anyway. If he had to leave the Colts, he wanted to be able to choose his team and not hurt the team he goes to by having to give up a lot.

Yeah, I am pretty burnt on people questioning Irsay. It is Irsay's franchise, and the correct move on the chess board. There is a certain sentimentality that is very difficult to swallow, but it is what it is. Even being fully aware and prepared for quite some time, it was still difficult to get my mind wrapped around today's events. I am excited for the future and the potential that it brings. I think there are good things to come.

I need to know WHY? The press conference did not tell me WHY? Neither one of them ever really said WHY? WHY cant this work? If it was NOT about money than WHY? Salary Cap? You just said it was NOT about money. Rebuilding? Than why not keep Peyton for 1 year to just so the next QB can watch, then trade him and at least get something for the value? Its NOT about money right, then why worry about caps? If it business than WHY not at least get some stinking draft picks for him? Peyton's health? He says he wants to play. WHY was the contract not even part of the discussion or a factor in the discision? If it was the Salary Cap than WHY not just change the contract to lower the cap numbers in the future? WHY do I get the feeling this could have gone either way in that plane ride home? Will we ever know? Part of my identitiy as a person comes from what Peyton represents, that part of me needs to know WHY.

It's about rebuilding. Makes no sense to keep Manning for a year. Luck is ready to go now. That is your reason.

I have ZERO doubt Luck is ready to go, I know he is. But Peyton has been ready to go for 14 years. Thats 14 years of knowledge of reading and playing against NFL defenses that is stacked, packed, and reracked into a photographic memory. You simply can not overcome experience by athleticism. WHY doesn't the better player play?

I have ZERO doubt Luck is ready to go, I know he is. But Peyton has been ready to go for 14 years. Thats 14 years of knowledge of reading and playing against NFL defenses that is stacked, packed, and reracked into a photographic memory. You simply can not overcome experience by athleticism. WHY doesn't the better player play?

for a couple more years? why not give the keys to the kid for the next 14?

I read between the lines of what Irsay and Manning said and I think my woman's intuition is correct. Irsay said (to paraphrase) that in their talks he also discussed with Peyton that he deserves to go where he can have success in his last years of football, and it would not be with the Colts, because they are rebuilding and "several years away." I believe that was also in Peyton's mind too. Did you take note that Peyton never said today that he was forced into leaving against his will? It was his and the Colts' mutual decision, for Peyton's benefit as much as anything else. They are drafting his replacement! He would have to compete with the new guy for the job! Whereas he goes to a new team and gets the respect of being the big kahuna, which is what he has earned. And he can choose a team that is Super Bowl ready except for a star quarterback. I have no problem in understanding all this.

Is it possible Luck will pull a power play lol :facepalm:???? The organization would look like big time derps. Luck said he didn't want to be involved with the decision in any way, apparently he was even though it was a culmination of factors. But if he feels in any way responsible will he be like, "Why would I play for this organization?"

Is it possible Luck will pull a power play lol :facepalm:???? The organization would look like big time derps. Luck said he didn't want to be involved with the decision in any way, apparently he was even though it was a culmination of factors. But if he feels in any way responsible will he be like, "Why would I play for this organization?"

Luck will play for whichever team drafts him. He will not do an Eli, from what I know of his personality.

He is goofy, but he is a straight arrow, and too humble to put himself above his team.

He always tries to do the right thing.

mouthofthesouth, thank you, very nice. The assumption that I have an issue with is the "several years away" statement. I have always felt like every year we had the chance to win the SB. Last year was the 1st time I didn't, when we will regain that feeling again? Or are we stuck never feeling that again? I agree with the "mutual" stuff and also Peyton being called "selfish", but WHY couldn't of he done this comeback in Indy? WHY someplace else? For the 1st time we were getting him a defense.

Luck will play for whichever team drafts him. He will not do an Eli, from what I know of his personality.

He is goofy, but he is a straight arrow, and too humble to put himself above his team.

He always tries to do the right thing.

Eli is a straight arrow. He did what he thought best for himself and he was able to pull it off. You will never convince me Archie and Olivia did not raise all their kids as straight arrows.

mouthofthesouth, thank you, very nice. The assumption that I have an issue with is the "several years away" statement. I have always felt like every year we had the chance to win the SB. Last year was the 1st time I didn't, when we will regain that feeling again? Or are we stuck never feeling that again? I agree with the "mutual" stuff and also Peyton being called "selfish", but WHY couldn't of he done this comeback in Indy? WHY someplace else? For the 1st time we were getting him a defense.

I do not think Peyton is selfish for seeing the handwriting on the wall. I think the biggest obstacle he saw was having to contend for his job. I have seen young qbs be drafted and as soon as the starting qb has a bad game, people start yelling, "Put the kid in! See what he can do!" There is not a qb who has ever started in the NFL who is not "jealous" of his starting position. He wants to know he is fully in charge. I think all the obstacles were just too much to overcome, and both Irsay and Peyton realized that. Not saying I like it. If the Colts had won one more game, and thus not get the first pick, Peyton would still be a Colt.

Andy246 I know its made up, just basically was trying to say I felt like today that part of my world ended.

Oh, anyways, don't let this effect your life too much. It hurt me when I first saw the reports from my league source, but you have to learn to accept it and adapt to it, that's what humans do. You have more important things in life, like your well-being, your family and your job. This is tough, but you to realize it is a game, and that it is a business. Stuff like this happens all the time in the NFL. Brett Favre leaving Green Bay, Montana getting trading, Unitas being let go, Marino retiring, etc. Keep your head up and worry about the important things in life. As much as I love football, it is my one of my jobs as I am a writer/reporter for a newspaper, you have to realize that there are more important things in life than football/sports.

It end a cycle on the Myan Calender, a Baktun. What many don't know is we have been through 12 Baktun already and on our 13th Baktun. We start the 14th Baktun 12/21/2012. So if you want to say the world should of ended 12 times before us. haha

Actually the Mayans believed the world had already ended and started over I think 3 times. :D

And by all accounts, they had a more advanced calendar system than we do today. They knew their sheet.

No, he cannot pull an Elway, since he does not have an alternate sport with which to leverage.

very true...but either way he still forced his way out...

But being the prospect that he is...saying he has no leverage is kinda foolish, I'm sure a CFL team would pay top dollar to land him

very true...but either way he still forced his way out...

But being the prospect that he is...saying he has no leverage is kinda foolish, I'm sure a CFL team would pay top dollar to land him

He has exactly the same leverage as Eli had, but not the same leverage as Elway had.

Hence I said that although he can pull an Eli, but given my knowledge of his personality and character, he will not.

The people who keep talking about Luck pulling a power play have those people listened to Andrew Luck talk? He was okay with coming here to sit behind Peyton Manning. I really doubt Peyton Manning leaving is going to change his mind because the only thing that changed for him is that he is now going to have a chance to start. Luck seems very humble and is just going to be honored to be the top overall pick. Look at the way he pretty much told the world he was going to go pro "I think I am going to try to play in the NFL next year if some team will have me." That doesn't sound like someone who is going to pull a power play. Frankly power plays with the top overall draft pick are very rare. Eli pulled one and so did Elway. Those are about it.

No id say he has more leverage then your giving him credit for...He is rated way higher then Eli...in fact just behind Elway...

Luck will not pull an Eli from what I know of his personality.

He will see what happened as a unique opportunity to play and prove himself to his team mates, and his team (coaches, FO, owner), and to the city and fans who support his team (probably in that order).

I am not saying this because I worship him. I don't. I am saying this from having seen and heard his many interviews, and understanding a bit more about what makes him tick.

He will see what happened as a unique opportunity to play and prove himself to his team mates, and his team (coaches, FO, owner), and to the city and fans who support his team (probably in that order).

I am not saying this because I worship him. I don't. I am saying this from having seen and heard his many interviews, and understanding a bit more about what makes him tick.

Indeed I'm not saying that at all I was just pointing out that Elway and Eli both forced their way out. All so I doubt luck would pull a Elway any how, cause I'm sure knowing the man that Peyton is, he's already called luck and told him it was no big deal, congratulations, and best of luck.

Id give it a .18% of it happening

Andy246 I know its made up, just basically was trying to say I felt like today that part of my world ended.

The Maya calander was "made up?" ... it is the most exact calander on the face of the earth at it's time.

Want to baffle the mind? research the Piri Reis map from 1513.... guess it was "made up also" ... ???

Indeed I'm not saying that at all I was just pointing out that Elway and Eli both forced their way out. All so I doubt luck would pull a Elway any how, cause I'm sure knowing the man that Peyton is, he's already called luck and told him it was no big deal, congratulations, and best of luck.

Id give it a .18% of it happening

ZERO percent chance of happening... THis deal has been done for a few months now. Or since Indy locked up #1. On both sides also, Manning and Irsay.

I think Manning was crying from "happiness" today in his presser. He will get to play for a "loaded" team ... tomorrow, and take off running.

ZERO percent chance of happening... THis deal has been done for a few months now. Or since Indy locked up #1. On both sides also, Manning and Irsay.

I think Manning was crying from "happiness" today in his presser. He will get to play for a "loaded" team ... tomorrow, and take off running.

You better believe Irsay knew luck would sign if drafted, before he cut Peyton, that would just be insane, which the talks prolly happen at the combine.

However I'm sure if you asked colts fan before the start of the season that Peyton will be cut this offseason. 100% says your crazy...fact is it's the NFL, crazier things has happened.

Most recent example: the colts cut Peyton Manning

And I have no doubt the Peyton is extremely optimistic about this new opportunity that awaits him.

You better believe Irsay knew luck would sign if drafted, before he cut Peyton, that would just be insane, which the talks prolly happen at the combine.

However I'm sure if you asked colts fan before the start of the season that Peyton will be cut this offseason. 100% says your crazy...fact is it's the NFL, crazier things has happened.

And I have no doubt the Peyton is extremely optimistic about this new opportunity that awaits him.

Believe it or not the Colts "have not been" the model of disfunction in the NFL since.... Bill Polian arrived.

Peyton was a rookie in 98 when Jim Mora and a soon to be HOF GM named ....... Bill Polian took over the Colts.

Indy is a very "stable" NFL franchise currently.

I don't know.. this is "ALL TIME CRAZY".. on all levels. When irsay says it's about "circumstances" he is tot ally correct. If Indy did not draft in the 3rd or lower spot this conversation is not happening.

I give all parties a pass... the situation is SO unique...

All that .... and it is a little late in the game to be pulling that kinda silliness.

Believe it or not the Colts "have not been" the model of disfunction in the NFL since.... Bill Polian arrived.

Peyton was a rookie in 98 when Jim Mora and a soon to be HOF GM named ....... Bill Polian took over the Colts.

Indy is a very "stable" NFL franchise currently.

Your not telling me anything new...it's the media that is saying otherwise...it's Luck Indy must show this too

ZERO percent chance of happening... THis deal has been done for a few months now. Or since Indy locked up #1. On both sides also, Manning and Irsay. I think Manning was crying from "happiness" today in his presser. He will get to play for a "loaded" team ... tomorrow, and take off running.

Assuming a bad team does not offer him a boat load of money to stir fan interest. Also assuming he can still play. And finally assuming that a "loaded" team is willing to bet their present success on a 36 year old QB who missed all of last season with a serious condition.

I don't know.. this is "ALL TIME CRAZY".. on all levels. When irsay says it's about "circumstances" he is tot ally correct. If Indy did not draft in the 3rd or lower spot this conversation is not happening.

I give all parties a pass... the situation is SO unique...

And well "if" for some reason luck decides to go Eli and Elway on us, that would be crazier...or maybe just add to the craziness.

it would be an epic fail and Irsays part.

But as I said I'm pretty sure Irsay got the go head from luck at the combine