Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Swoope

Blueblood23

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Oh yeah. An “official evaluation” that includes no actual evidence that anything took place. Ever. 

Futhernore, when was the last time a referee was let go at the end of the season for performance?

If their appeal to ignorance suits you that’s fine. 

Meanwhile, back here in the real world, we have the means and the need for total, 100% transparent accountability. 

Believe in the wizard behind the curtain all you want. The actual proof shows that there are more problems than are being corrected. 

There’s always a conspiracy guy in every crowd.    Guys are let go all the time.   The NFL does it very quietly.  They don’t make a big production out if it.    No need to embarrass a guy who has been fired.    They only announce when a ref retires.

And if you stop and think about it, that’s the way all professional sports leagues do their business.   Baseball, basketball, hockey, you name it.   They don’t announce which refs are not returning the following year.

If asked, a league will likely confirm if they have new refs in any given year, but they won’t tell who is being replaced or why.    It’s as much professional courtesy as anything else.

No need to kick a guy on the way out...

I'm just waiting for them to utilize Swoope and Ebron on the field at the same time. And I think this Pats game is a good game to roll it out. The Pats don't have much of a pass rush so I don't see the need to go into this with 2 blocking tight ends. I'd go with Swoope, Ebron, and one of Ali Cox or Hewitt. Swoope is a deep and intermediate threat. He can take heat off Ebron and give us another passing option.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There’s always a conspiracy guy in every crowd.    Guys are let go all the time.   The NFL does it very quietly.  They don’t make a big production out if it.    No need to embarrass a guy who has been fired.    They only announce when a ref retires.

And if you stop and think about it, that’s the way all professional sports leagues do their business.   Baseball, basketball, hockey, you name it.   They don’t announce which refs are not returning the following year.

If asked, a league will likely confirm if they have new refs in any given year, but they won’t tell who is being replaced or why.    It’s as much professional courtesy as anything else.

No need to kick a guy on the way out...

But there is. The world has changed. There’s billions and billions of dollars funneling around that these guys and their costly mistakes are directly in charge of. 

Why is it ever OK to not get something right? Especially when it is easily attainable?

When you and I go to work and constantly screw up we get fired. And everyone knows we got fired. And we should have been fired. 

These guys are tasked with getting it right. We now live in an age where every call can be validated or debunked within seconds. 

So take the measures to get it right. 

Then we don’t have to worry about these guys and their poor, or ulterior judgement affecting the integrity of the game, we don’t have to “grade” them, and they don’t have to be “fired”. 

Literally every play of every game is being filmed in higher and higher definition with more and more camera angles all the time. Almost every play can be judged conclusively within seconds. And when they aren’t, there’s clear evidence that it wasn’t. Which makes everyone involved look bad. 

The world has changed. Yet we’re still treating sports officiating like it’s 1950. Guess what, they’re not all honest, and they now have more reason to be dishonest than ever before. Leagues admit that mistakes are made all the time, but there’s no real effort put into actually fixing that. 

There is no case to be made for why that is ok. 

From the Indy Star ...

“Roster moves

The Colts brought linebacker Skai Moore and tight end Erik Swoope back to the practice squad. Both had been cut last week. Moore has two tackles this season, and Swoope has two catches for 20 yards. “

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

But there is. The world has changed. There’s billions and billions of dollars funneling around that these guys and their costly mistakes are directly in charge of. 

Why is it ever OK to not get something right? Especially when it is easily attainable?

When you and I go to work and constantly screw up we get fired. And everyone knows we got fired. And we should have been fired. 

These guys are tasked with getting it right. We now live in an age where every call can be validated or debunked within seconds. 

So take the measures to get it right. 

Then we don’t have to worry about these guys and their poor, or ulterior judgement affecting the integrity of the game, we don’t have to “grade” them, and they don’t have to be “fired”. 

Literally every play of every game is being filmed in higher and higher definition with more and more camera angles all the time. Almost every play can be judged conclusively within seconds. And when they aren’t, there’s clear evidence that it wasn’t. Which makes everyone involved look bad. 

The world has changed. Yet we’re still treating sports officiating like it’s 1950. Guess what, they’re not all honest, and they now have more reason to be dishonest than ever before. Leagues admit that mistakes are made all the time, but there’s no real effort put into actually fixing that. 

There is no case to be made for why that is ok. 

You have a very warped, very cynical view of the world and sports.

First,  when you and I are fired,  it's only known INSIDE the company.    It's not known OUTSIDE.    And it's ILLEGAL for a company to reveal what happened to an employee.   All their allowed to say is....   "Bob Smith worked here from this date to that date in this capacity."

That's it.   So, what the world of sports does is pretty much what the regular business world does as well.

As for "getting it right."    Yes,  the technology is great.    But it comes with a price.   Meaning,  how long are you willing to take to decide something?    1 minute?    3 minutes?    5 minutes?   And how many plays are you willing to go to replay to get it right?    3 plays a half?   As many plays as necessary?    The NFL and MLB want 3 hour games...    your vision would have 3 and a half or four hour games.

Sports league's are trying to shorten games,  to speed them up.    We are an A-D-D society.   Short attention spans.   All those replays on play after play after play slows things up.   Way up. Badly.   Leagues are always trying to balance "getting it right",  with not slowing up the pace of the game.     It's an important issue to all sports leagues.

Things are rarely decided "within seconds."   

And finally....    you drag out....   "They're not all honest."     And you have how many examples of that?      The NBA ref?  Donaughy?    One guy.    One guy out of the four major sports leagues.    The top sports leagues are always concerned about a possible fix.    Even in Europe, where betting is much more prevelent in their sports leagues.   if suddenly a large bet comes in and it looks "funny"...   the bookies take that game down.   They think the fix is in.     Leagues know that those who might cheat the system would ruin things for everyone.   They try to keep a very close watch.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have a very warped, very cynical view of the world and sports.

First,  when you and I are fired,  it's only known INSIDE the company.    It's not known OUTSIDE.    And it's ILLEGAL for a company to reveal what happened to an employee.   All their allowed to say is....   "Bob Smith worked here from this date to that date in this capacity."

That's it.   So, what the world of sports does is pretty much what the regular business world does as well.

As for "getting it right."    Yes,  the technology is great.    But it comes with a price.   Meaning,  how long are you willing to take to decide something?    1 minute?    3 minutes?    5 minutes?   And how many plays are you willing to go to replay to get it right?    3 plays a half?   As many plays as necessary?    The NFL and MLB want 3 hour games...    your vision would have 3 and a half or four hour games.

Sports league's are trying to shorten games,  to speed them up.    We are an A-D-D society.   Short attention spans.   All those replays on play after play after play slows things up.   Way up. Badly.   Leagues are always trying to balance "getting it right",  with not slowing up the pace of the game.     It's an important issue to all sports leagues.

Things are rarely decided "within seconds."   

And finally....    you drag out....   "They're not all honest."     And you have how many examples of that?      The NBA ref?  Donaughy?    One guy.    One guy out of the four major sports leagues.    The top sports leagues are always concerned about a possible fix.    Even in Europe, where betting is much more prevelent in their sports leagues.   if suddenly a large bet comes in and it looks "funny"...   the bookies take that game down.   They think the fix is in.     Leagues know that those who might cheat the system would ruin things for everyone.   They try to keep a very close watch.

Putting an official in the booth who can buzz down and correct obviously incorrect calls is not going to add hours to a game. It’s not even going to add more than a few minutes, if even that. You and I can sit at home and determine after a replay whether the call was correct or not. And that always takes place before the next play. 40 second play clock, you do the math and make the connection. 

Wanna shorten games? Cut commercials, not rush and let mistakes determine outcomes. If an official upstairs needs to overrule a bad call based on the replay evidence and needs a few extra seconds to correct the situation go to break and cut out a TV timeout after a kickoff or field goal. 

The whole “it’ll make the games 18 hours long” argument is ridiculous. There is plenty of time to correct 5-10 plays a game where officials on the field make obvious mistakes. 

Again, you discredit the current climate. The world has changed. The legality of sports betting has ushered in the new era we are literally in the infancy of. There is more reason for an official to have a hand in the outcome of the game now than ever before. 

People who pay attention notice the way officiating in the NBA favors certain teams. The Pacers do not get the same kind of calls the Lakers will this season. There is a bias. A very real bias. And it’s hurt the integrity of the league because fans KNOW it happens. 

I’m not the only one in the universe saying it’s a problem. 

If you want to believe that officiating is pure and honest without bias and ok being mistake ridden that’s fine. 

But its not. The proof shows it’s not. The amount of bad calls affecting the outcomes of games is absolutely an issue, and as billions and billions of dollars flow through the newly opened gambling avenue it raises the stakes for everyone involved. 

Get. It. Right. 

11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Putting an official in the booth who can buzz down and correct obviously incorrect calls is not going to add hours to a game. It’s not even going to add more than a few minutes, if even that. You and I can sit at home and determine after a replay whether the call was correct or not. And that always takes place before the next play. 40 second play clock, you do the math and make the connection. 

Wanna shorten games? Cut commercials, not rush and let mistakes determine outcomes. If an official upstairs needs to overrule a bad call based on the replay evidence and needs a few extra seconds to correct the situation go to break and cut out a TV timeout after a kickoff or field goal. 

The whole “it’ll make the games 18 hours long” argument is ridiculous. There is plenty of time to correct 5-10 plays a game where officials on the field make obvious mistakes. 

Again, you discredit the current climate. The world has changed. The legality of sports betting has ushered in the new era we are literally in the infancy of. There is more reason for an official to have a hand in the outcome of the game now than ever before. 

People who pay attention notice the way officiating in the NBA favors certain teams. The Pacers do not get the same kind of calls the Lakers will this season. There is a bias. A very real bias. And it’s hurt the integrity of the league because fans KNOW it happens. 

I’m not the only one in the universe saying it’s a problem. 

If you want to believe that officiating is pure and honest without bias and ok being mistake ridden that’s fine. 

But its not. The proof shows it’s not. The amount of bad calls affecting the outcomes of games is absolutely an issue, and as billions and billions of dollars flow through the newly opened gambling avenue it raises the stakes for everyone involved. 

Get. It. Right. 

Complaints about officiating has gone on since sports were invented.    It's just done on a much larger scale now.

Back in the 60's and 70's,  Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of a game.    Never.    Not once.  I realize things aren't perfect.    They never are when human beings are involved.   People are flawed.    They make mistakes.    But it's never as bad as fans make it out to be.    And just showing me a post from someone else on the website that agrees with you is proof of nothing...   it's a big world with lots of people.   Someone is going to agree with you.

Look...   we see the world differently...    that's OK.

But whoever you think the five worst posters here are (and I have my own list!)  even those people have people here who agree with them.    Go to their profiles and you will see that even the worst posters among us (whoever they may be)  have other people who agree with them.

That's just the way of the world....

On 10/2/2018 at 12:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. You put veteran players in on key drives. Never trust rookies and inexperienced players in those critical situations. Yeah 

The explanation for Ebron being on the sideline is literally the next post after the one you quoted.

33 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not sure what positive could come from that. He leads the team in TDs, Doyle's out indefinitely, & none of the other TEs on the roster are as much of a mismatch as Ebron.

Obviously not with Doyle out and the current state of our TE's. But dudes hands are suspect big time. Has a serious case of the dropsies

4 hours ago, krunk said:

The Indianapolis Colts today elevated tight end Erik Swoope to the 53-man roster from the practice squad and waived tight end Mo Alie-Cox.

https://www.colts.com/news/roster-moves-colts-bring-te-erik-swoope-back-to-active-roster

Wow, I'm glad he's back but I'd feel real slighted if I was Swoope. Heck, dude could get cut again Friday morning. Sad

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wow, I'm glad he's back but I'd feel real slighted if I was Swoope. Heck, dude could get cut again Friday morning. Sad

They are doing this stuff based on the opponent and the match up in my opinion.  Although I think they should just leave him there and let him continuously work on his blocking. It's not like it's atrocious.  We're bringing in these so called blocking tight ends who really aren't blocking all that well in the first place. I'd go with the two pass catching tight ends who can get mismatches on people. Especially considering we don't have that many threats at WR.   Just like when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez under Bill Obrien.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

They are doing this stuff based on the opponent and the match up in my opinion.  Although I think they should just leave him there and let him continuously work on his blocking. It's not like it's atrocious.  We're bringing in these so called blocking tight ends who really aren't blocking all that well in the first place. I'd go with the two pass catching tight ends who can get mismatches on people. Especially considering we don't have that many threats at WR.   Just like when the Pats had Gronk and Hernandez under Bill Obrien.

Yeah you're right. They also may be giving him that heads up like hey, we need to do his for this weeks match up but we want to bring you back. But can't people snatch him off the waiver wire? Risky

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That’s life as a fringe roster guy in the NFL.

Yep, he’s played NFL, he’s achieved his dream. I’m sure it is a little frustrating but he still gets to play football as his job.

I’d imagine he’d be grateful.......and he would still be getting paid way more than the average person.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:33 PM, John Waylon said:

Oh yeah. An “official evaluation” that includes no actual evidence that anything took place. Ever. 

Futhernore, when was the last time a referee was let go at the end of the season for performance?

If their appeal to ignorance suits you that’s fine. 

Meanwhile, back here in the real world, we have the means and the need for total, 100% transparent accountability. 

Believe in the wizard behind the curtain all you want. The actual proof shows that there are more problems than are being corrected. 

Actually ref review system is pretty tough.  It's just not transparent, which I think is what fans wants.

They should make ref reviews like probowl selections... fan vote counts from 1/3. :)

On 10/3/2018 at 4:16 PM, NewEra said:

I would bet that the next time Indy cuts a healthy Swoop , it will be the last time. 

• Like 1