Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Greatest Colt Of All Time Should Have Retired A Colt.

mouthofsouth

It is just not right that the greatest Colt of all time should be left in this position, when we know that he did not really want to change teams. I know Irsay said he could stay a Colt if he really wanted it, but we also know that Irsay meant it would have to be on the Colts' terms, i. e. drafting Luck, pitting Peyton against Luck, maybe sitting Peyton on the bench, and not paying Peyton what he is deserving of.

Sad day for a great franchise. Ah well, that is pro football.

It is just not right that the greatest Colt of all time should be left in this position, when we know that he did not really want to change teams. I know Irsay said he could stay a Colt if he really wanted it, but we also know that Irsay meant it would have to be on the Colts' terms, i. e. drafting Luck, pitting Peyton against Luck, maybe sitting Peyton on the bench, and not paying Peyton what he is deserving of.

Sad day for a great franchise. Ah well, that is pro football.

Unitas was the greatest Colt of all time but I will give you Indy.By the way Johnny U 3 titles>PM 1

It is very possible that Peyton didn't want to come back to a team without the keys he has always had around him. But then he has always been flexible, so I sort of doubt it.

Things don't jive somewhere though. Peyton has said that he wanted to stay with one team and has always reworked contracts. Irsay made a big deal about paying him big money and has never had a problem with it in the past.

I think there is a lack of respect to say that he would have to compete with Luck. This should be his team. But that is business or so they say.

I think it is a "what have you done for me lately" way of thinking and loyalty means nothing. Just sad.

Unitas was the greatest Colt of all time but I will give you Indy.By the way Johnny U 3 titles>PM 1

Heck man, how can somebody touted as perhaps the greatest of all time, and who has broken Unitas' records, not be considered the greatest Colt? Okay, I will give you this: he and Johnny U tied for greatest Colt. I will give you that.

I said it before to chad, he said he won't retire in the ESPN Interview, but maybe that was because he was confident he was going to be a Colt. Maybe not that he's gone, he could actually retire.

We have to keep in mind the possibility that this is what Manning wants. He wants to comeback but doesn't want to hold Luck back and he doesn't want to leave 2 years from now, he'd rather just leave now and play for another team for 4-5 years.

It's a real shame, but I understand it. I think the team ended up in a great position to rebuild and Peyton's contract wasn't friendly to that. I don't think it's just Luck, either. They changed almost the entire coaching staff, several of Peyton's key guys in recent years (Saturday, Wayne, Garcon) are FAs, and paying him and them could have been cumbersome. I honestly think the team was a win away from a more favorable situation.

Regardless, I hope Peyton finishes out his career the best way he can. Personally, I'm pushing for him to head to the desert and light it up with Fitzgerald and maybe Wayne. I honestly don't hope he wins any of the next so many Super Bowls, though. I'm saving that hope for the Colts. Needless to say, he'll be my second option to watch any time.

It's a real sad moment to watch the face of the franchise walk away. I respect Peyton in every conceivable way and hope that he can keep proving why he belongs up with their with names like Unitas and Elway.

Manning would have put up absolutely ungodly stats playing against the defenses Unitas saw. Unitas won two of his titles when there was no Super Bowl and there were like 12 teams in the entire league and no one was passing the ball. Unitas couldn't play today's game. Manning would have been a dominant force in Unitas's game.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - personal shot

Unitas would bring Manning Doughnuts and Coffee to the QB meetings.

Please.....this is the second stupid thing you have said recently and I like you but that is just flat out stupid!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - quoting personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - quoting personal shot

Please.....this is the second stupid thing you have said recently and I like you but that is just flat out stupid!

What was the first?

Unitas would as get as much playing time behind Manning as Sorgi and Painter... not a knock on Johnny U just how it is.

We have to keep in mind the possibility that this is what Manning wants. He wants to comeback but doesn't want to hold Luck back and he doesn't want to leave 2 years from now, he'd rather just leave now and play for another team for 4-5 years.

i have said this numerous times,pm said from the day the colts got the first pick,luck needs to play.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - inappropriate
Hidden by Nadine, March 7, 2012 - inappropriate

What was the first?

Unitas would as get as much playing time behind Manning as Sorgi and Painter...

Another stupid thing to say...keep em coming and learn some history Son before you ^chiz^ on it!

I'm just sick. Even though I knew it was a real possibility I still can't believe it! Of course I've only been a Colts fan since Peyton has been with them so haven't gone through changes of the quarterback. But - I am sad that he won't retire a Colt. It just seems to me the perfect solution would have been for him to stay and mentor the next quarterback (who I think should be RG3 and not Luck). However, on the other side if Peyton truly wanted to stay then he should have been willing to forego a good portion of the bonus so they can continue to build a good team. It will be interesting to see things turn out for the Colts and Peyton. I will be watching both closely and wish Peyton the very best, as well as the Colts. I'm just soooooooo sooooooooooooo sad!!

This is pathetic. You guys have turned this into a Peyton vs. Johnny argument, even trashing one or both of them with some of your comments. Neither player cares of your opinion and, quite frankly, would be insulted that they would be pitted against each other in some sort of "who was the better Colt" argument.

This is pathetic. You guys have turned this into a Peyton vs. Johnny argument, even trashing one or both of them with some of your comments. Neither player cares of your opinion and, quite frankly, would be insulted that they would be pitted against each other in some sort of "who was the better Colt" argument.

Well, when people forget to say "In my opinion" it opens the door to lively, constructive debate

thats probably what will happen he will return to how hes been for 14 years, but probably isnt good enough for 28 million and a 36 year old qb coming off 4 neck surgeries, like I said obviously he wasnt willing to restructure even when he was going through all them surgeries sounds a little selfish on his part but he has done alot for the city so I wont hold it against him, but the right move was made considering the cap, I respect Irsays decision and agree you cant tie all your money into one player and neglect the rest of the team

I'm just sick. Even though I knew it was a real possibility I still can't believe it! Of course I've only been a Colts fan since Peyton has been with them so haven't gone through changes of the quarterback. But - I am sad that he won't retire a Colt. It just seems to me the perfect solution would have been for him to stay and mentor the next quarterback (who I think should be RG3 and not Luck). However, on the other side if Peyton truly wanted to stay then he should have been willing to forego a good portion of the bonus so they can continue to build a good team. It will be interesting to see things turn out for the Colts and Peyton. I will be watching both closely and wish Peyton the very best, as well as the Colts. I'm just soooooooo sooooooooooooo sad!!

I do not believe it was all about the 28 mil with Peyton. I think if that was all it was, he would have negotiated. I think the breaking point was that Peyton was going to be asked to compete for the starting job next year, and that the Colts would have leaned toward benching him and starting Luck. He is not ready for that. He wants to play where he is the acknowledged kingpin, and rightly so. He has earned that!!!

When I say it is not about money with Peyton, he said he would be willing to make any new contract based largely on performance. He can certainly afford to do that, and I believe he will agree to that wherever he goes.

I don't think anybody doubt Johnny Unitas's greatest but like Bradshaw, Montana, and Staubach they all had many HOF player's around them, it's why as much as I hate to say it the dynasty that NE built in the early 2000's is considered one of the hardest to achieve out of all the dynasties because of salary cap and free agency. With that said both were consistantly great year in and out but Manning had it harder with the era he plays in

Assuming that Peyton wants another couple of rings in the 3-4 years he has left, this is the right decision for him to make. (Not sure why most folks think this is a decision thrown at him - equally likely that he made the call)

Irsay, of course, has done a world class pitifully poor job of PR and managing his customers' expectations.

AMEN! Peyton should have been allowed to retire as a Colt! I don't care though I am a fan for Peyton first then Colts!!! And I am not ashamed to say so!

I think there's a good chance he will retire tomorrow. Irsay probably offered him a short term contract, Manning came to terms that Luck will need to get experience and decides to retire. Simple