Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort Says Manning Gone (Merge)

I've said all along, "you've got to cut him to keep him". Think I'll wait till tomorrow to get the real news.

That's true, but they're scheduling a press conference. That has a feeling of finality to it. Unless the presser is to announce that they've agreed to terms on a new deal or a restructure of the current deal (with NFLPA approval because of some tough CBA date restrictions).

But I very much doubt that. I don't know if you can agree to a new contract without first terminating the old contract, not without running afoul of the CBA.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I have Irsay just under Brady and Belichick. He's beyond stupid IF this is his true decision and they don't have a reworked contract to hand to Peyton when the new league contract year starts in a few days. Despite knowing it was a possibility this is truly devastating to me.

Right now, I have Irsay just under Brady and Belichick. He's beyond stupid IF this is his true decision and they don't have a reworked contract to hand to Peyton when the new league contract year starts in a few days. Despite know it was a possibility this is truly devastating to me.

Brady and Belichick are stupid?? Didn't they win multiple super bowls?

Did anyone consider that if Luck is successful, he will take up as much cap space as Manning did in a couple of years? Limiting the opportunity to achieve a well rounded team, again? Just a thought

the cap will rise once the TV deals get done. Also Lucks 2nd contract is not going to be 5 years 90 mill

Did anyone consider that if Luck is successful, he will take up as much cap space as Manning did in a couple of years? Limiting the opportunity to achieve a well rounded team, again? Just a thought

Not many people realize that. 3-4 years of a lower cap figure for Luck, then it will be 18-20 a year.

From Kubler-Ross, On Death and Dying (1969)

1) Denial (No way Irsay will cut PM. PM is the GOAT. Trade the pick for a rebuild. We go to the SB with PM)

2) Anger (How can Irsay cut PM? No respect. I'm throwing away all my Colts stuff. I'm leaving to root for another team, I am mad)

3) Bargaining (Maybe PM is being cut so that they can re-sign him to an incentive deal, this whole thing is a PR ploy to drive up the value of trading the #1 overall pick)

4) Depression (I am sad)

5) Acceptance (Let's hope for better days with Andrew, and the new coaching staff)

Go Colts!

Do you work for Hospice?

Every good team with a good quarterback pays that quarterback accordingly. But the difference is that you're not paying a $28 million bonus to a player that you're not 100% sure can hold up to the value of the contract.

The idea that this is about having a "more well-rounded team" is a misnomer. This is about $28 million.

If this is true, I hope Peyton goes to win two more Super Bowls. That way when people remember him they will notice his two SB with another team then him being remembered as a Colt. For them to go about it the way they did it was very, very wrong. If I was him I would denounce the Colts immediately.

Let's hope Andrew doesn't suck. :sigh:

Why do teams resign their star QBs then? Brady has been getting broke off like Manning most of his career and NE has been very successful.

The Colts werent unbalanced because of Manning's contract. They were unbalanced because the team hinged everything on him instead of building a team that supported him.

Bad drafting (more recently) and a bad defensive philosophy were really problematic.

I dont think money is the issue.

If this is true, I hope Peyton goes to win two more Super Bowls. That way when people remember him they will notice his two SB with another team then him being remembered as a Colt. For them to go about it the way they did it was very, very wrong. If I was him I would denounce the Colts immediately.

Let's hope Andrew doesn't suck. :sigh:

And I told you there was no way in heck Luck would sit for 4 years, or at all. Just saying.

I'm an old man who has watched a great many changes in my life as a Colts fan. Many of them hurt a great deal....Unitas going to the Chargers, Bert going to the Rams. Yes, even the Colts leaving Baltimore. The only thing that softens the blow is; look at the Horseshoe...and believe that one day the Colts will be back. For all of you people who claim they're no longer Colts fans, I contend that you never were. Please send me all of your Colts gear. I will proudly put it to good use. Peyton was/is imo, the GOAT. I wish him the very best of luck and hope he continues his career in the HOF manner we're accustomed......until he plays the Colts!!! GO COLTS!!!

Not many people realize that. 3-4 years of a lower cap figure for Luck, then it will be 18-20 a year.

Based on what? Tom Brady's second contract with the Pats (after three Super Bowls) was six years, $60 million. That was a long time ago, but this notion that a fifth year quarterback will automatically be making top five money doesn't hold up, historically. Ben Roethlisberger, after two Super Bowls, got a contract worth $12.75 million a year.

Let's wait and see some second contracts for some of the younger quarterbacks (Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, etc.) before we start declaring that Luck will be making record-breaking money. Cam Newton will hit free agency a year before Luck does, so assuming both players are high level quarterbacks in four years, Newton will effectively set the market.

So you're saying you think Luck will be a top 3 QB in 3-4 years?

I like the optimism, I'll give you that.

Where it's reported that Luck's 2nd contract wont be for 5 yrs/ 90 mill

It's not reported, I never said 'reported'. We just dont know. We cannot conclude what his 2nd contract will be at all. Even guessing it seems unlikely he would be paid that much after only 4 years in the league.

I agree, I'll watch and cheer for Peyton where ever he goes, as long as it's not New England. I am near tears with the thought of Peyton not being a Colt, and more furious than ever at Jim Caldwell for bringing us to this point. The Colts will survive with a new QB, and maybe even excel, but Peyton is unreplaceable.

Based on what? Tom Brady's second contract with the Pats (after three Super Bowls) was six years, $60 million. That was a long time ago, but this notion that a fifth year quarterback will automatically be making top five money doesn't hold up, historically. Ben Roethlisberger, after two Super Bowls, got a contract worth $12.75 million a year.

Let's wait and see some second contracts for some of the younger quarterbacks (Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, etc.) before we start declaring that Luck will be making record-breaking money.

The market. Inflation, rising prices. rising salary cap.

Brees is getting ready to go past 20.

Brady will have a new deal before long.

Manning will likely have a short risk free deal turn into higher $'s if all goes well.

You'll see Eli, BBR, and Rivers, will be on a new contract.

Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Culter, willl likely be on a new contract by then.

Cam Newton will be on a new contract.

So Luck, if he's half as good as people suspect he is will be commanding that type of money. If he doesn't average 18+ on his 2nd deal, then it might mean he's not met expectations.

Glad to be a bandwagoner! I wasn't an NFL fan until I started watching Peyton Manning. I'm not from Indy in fact live in Vegas where you can choose whatever team you want to be a fan of.

I will follow Peyton until he retires and be a fan of whatever team he goes to. Been to both Superbowls and many a game in Indy including Colts Pats AFC. Watching the Colts without Peyton will never be the same.

Peyton made me a fan of the game, but the Colts made me a fan of the team by making Peyton their quarterback.

Go Colts! And also whichever team Peyton goes to!!

It's not reported, I never said 'reported'. We just dont know. We cannot conclude what his 2nd contract will be at all. Even guessing it seems unlikely he would be paid that much after only 4 years in the league.

True. Also, just to let you know, you misquoted in your earlier post that Peyton had that huge contract in his second deal. His big money contract was his third deal. So Luck may very well cost that much then, but certainly not today, right now. Nevertheless, the Colts have always overpaid their players they considered important, which is why they are always in cap salary trouble.

Why do teams resign their star QBs then? Brady has been getting broke off like Manning most of his career and NE has been very successful.

The Colts werent unbalanced because of Manning's contract. They were unbalanced because the team hinged everything on him instead of building a team that supported him.

Bad drafting (more recently) and a bad defensive philosophy were really problematic.

I dont think money is the issue.

I believe they had to keep cost down on 2nd tier players due to cap space. A good example is why their Sp Teams had been awful for 14yrs

You do know that his 5th year is a team option for top 10 Money?

Top 10 and the highest paid contract right now (5 yr 90 mil) are two big differences. Seeing that Brees is struggling to get a deal done in the ballpark of Mannings contract, I dont know how Luck will be able to get a 5 year 90 mill contract in his 2nd contract. Of course unless he wins a bunch of SBs and breaks a ton of records (I'm not complaining).

Yes, but it will free up space for today. And today is when we are hurting.

I agree that it will limit us in later years, sure, but that's the game of football. We also have to expect that Freeney/Mathis/Clark/Bethea will not be around either, they will have left/retired, freeing up cap space, and someone else will be in their place, playing cheaper. Also, keep in mind that the salary cap will probably continue to increase over that period of time as well, making it easier going on the Colts Front Office.

Top 10 and the highest paid contract right now (5 yr 90 mil) are two big differences. Seeing that Brees is struggling to get a deal done in the ballpark of Mannings contract, I dont know how Luck will be able to get a 5 year 90 mill contract in his 2nd contract. Of course unless he wins a bunch of SBs and breaks a ton of records (I'm not complaining).

I never said he'd be the highest paid. Not sure that he will be.

Brees will pass the Brady/Manning deal so will others as the years go by leading up to that point.

5/90 would be low for deal # 2 in my opinion.