Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Oline

Coltsfanforlife12

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't think Fluker could beat out Good at RT.  Good isn't great, but I think his main problem last year was injuries. 

Goods main problem last year was Jeremy Vujnovich. :)

Put a decent player at RG, and I think Good will be a more than serviceable RT. And he is versatile, so if the Colts bring in a fine RT, he can be a good RG next to him.

I wish Mewhort wasn't such injury prone. If we was a dependable guy at LG, I think one quality addition on the right side could've done "wonders". But Mewhort is a big question mark, so we have question marks all over atm. :(

22 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I’m going to say this completely hypothetical based on our presumed interests in players.  But, how would you feel about the starting Oline below?

LT Castanzo

LG Jensen/Mewhort

C Kelly

RG Jensen/Mewhort

RT Fluker

I think we bring Mewhort back on a prove it deal.  Holder tweeted that he’s heard good news on his health.  Thoughts? Does this fix the oline in your opinion?

In my opinion, Ballard believes he can put a couple pieces this offseason via FA and the Draft, and have an improved and deeper line... simply because Pagano's crew is gone. And I'm not sure he is off base at all. The predictability and the constant 4 and 5 second plus dropbacks put entirely way too much pressure on an offensive line, that no, was not that great. 

Yes teams that invest heavily on the line have great fronts that protect their quarterback and run the ball well. There has to be some balance. New England could rotate 8 and 9 guys on the offensive line, and have in the past, and still have a great offense. Why? Because of development, scheme, a great gameplan and execution, and Tom Brady. Brady helps as much as anything, but I'm not sure that a healthy Luck won't be too far behind with the proper guidance. We know how well Brissett played under NE's system.

Frank Reich and his staff should be head and shoulders above our last group of clowns, and it will show across the board... especially on the offensive line. 

No changes in personnel thus far.

Coaching change may help, as someone pointed out, but I'm not optimistic-at least right now.

Maybe we'll draft some good OL members or sign a couple of FA's (I don't know who) later. 

At this point, it's realistic to expect the same, or at least similar, results as last year.

Who knows maybe something will click in Clark’s head this offseason and he will become the tackle we hoped for. Maybe heag will play like he did in his rookie year and maybe Mewhort will come back and not get hurt. We have a lot of maybes here but the way this off-season is going that all I have to hope for

On 3/17/2018 at 10:42 AM, HectorRoberts said:

Who knows maybe something will click in Clark’s head this offseason and he will become the tackle we hoped for. Maybe heag will play like he did in his rookie year and maybe Mewhort will come back and not get hurt. We have a lot of maybes here but the way this off-season is going that all I have to hope for

Maybe Haeg and Clark improve with the new coaching staff.  I think we should sign Mewhort and possibly another FA for depth.   Fluker, maybe, at guard? 

It could also be that we trade a pick in the second for a stellar lineman from another team.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:05 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I believe you have that backward.....

Fluker is simply this... a good run blocker and is poor in pass protection. That does not translate into putting him at Tackle as you infer.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Fluker is simply this... a good run blocker and is poor in pass protection. That does not translate into putting him at Tackle as you infer.

I didn't infer that.

The poster I responded to said Fluker is a better tackle than guard.   It's been my understanding that Fluker has been a better guard than tackle.   That he doesn't have the feet to be a good tackle... (though he certainly has the LONG arms!).

I was only saying I thought the poster had it backwards.   If your meaning is otherwise, then perhaps I've misunderstood you?

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't infer that.

The poster I responded to said Fluker is a better tackle than guard.   It's been my understanding that Fluker has been a better guard than tackle.   That he doesn't have the feet to be a good tackle... (though he certainly has the LONG arms!).

I was only saying I thought the poster had it backwards.   If your meaning is otherwise, then perhaps I've misunderstood you?

Yes you misunderstood . What I said is Fluker is a better G than T simply because he is known to be a good run blocker and poor in pass protection. 

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yes you misunderstood . What I said is Fluker is a better G than T simply because he is known to be a good run blocker and poor in pass protection. 

Ok...   we agree...  

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were correcting me and I got confused...

Appreciate it...

On 17/03/2018 at 2:25 PM, bertjones7 said:

I agree Reich & crew should be able to help OL with play calling but keep in mind eagles heavily invest in their OL. They have one of the best lines in the NFL. 

They did have one of the best lines in the NFL, possibly even the best line last year.

However, like pretty much all good lines it included a couple of low round picks (a 5th and a 6th) and it's this type if guy that I wish the Colts would be able to find and develop. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   we agree...  

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were correcting me and I got confused...

Appreciate it...

Yes we do . And I also think any OL signed should be an improvement in keeping Luck upright.