Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spending a top-20 pick on a RB is one of the worst decisions a team can make

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Well they finally got a G.M who is supposedly highly respected, and for some reason he would take Barkley? He must be dumb or something right? They have needs at more important positions with higher long term value so why would they consider Barkley?

Because they already have pass rushers in place between Miles Garret and Collins. Plus with another pick at #4 they can make a move like that. Especially if they pick up Mccaron or Cousins.

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Two teams the last two years have done that very thing and it changed their teams from loser to playoff contender.

Exactly..Running backs are a dime a dozen though..Im mean we stole Ferguson, Robinson,Kerwinn Williams  and Varga..They are unimportant and easy to find in later rounds..

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Well they finally got a G.M who is supposedly highly respected, and for some reason he would take Barkley? He must be dumb or something right? They have needs at more important positions with higher long term value so why would they consider Barkley?

I for one am NOT saying any team that takes Barkley in the top-5 is dumb.     Far from it.

I'm only speaking for the Colts,  and I'm only saying I'd rather focus our efforts elsewhere.

I have no problem if another team takes Barkley up high if it's right for them.    And I think there's a reasonable chance that Barkley could be taken before the Colts even pick by the Giants 2nd overall.

As for you and me....

You have posted to me 14 times (Fourteen) in the last 3 hours.

You either have to get a new best friend,  or a new hobby.     How about responding to someone else for a change.

This has not been a good thread for you......

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I for one am NOT saying any team that takes Barkley in the top-5 is dumb.     Far from it.

I'm only speaking for the Colts,  and I'm only saying I'd rather focus our efforts elsewhere.

I have no problem if another team takes Barkley up high if it's right for them.    And I think there's a reasonable chance that Barkley could be taken before the Colts even pick by the Giants 2nd overall.

As for you and me....

You either have to get a new best friend,  or a new hobby.     How about responding to someone else for a change.

I can’t wait for the Tigers to start playing 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Because they already have pass rushers in place between Miles Garret and Collins. Plus with another pick at #4 they can make a move like that. Especially if they pick up Mccaron or Cousins.

So do they need offensive linemen, wide receivers, defensive tackles, cornerbacks, linebackers, or safetys??? I mean RB is the least important,  most easily filled position though??

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for you and me....

How many times have you posted me? Unlike Jacoby Brissett I know how to read and react..

11 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Two teams the last two years have done that very thing and it changed their teams from loser to playoff contender.

Dallas had an unbelievable OL in place , we do not.

Jags had an unbelievable defence in place, we do not. 

Plus, we have a franchise QB, they do not.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

How many times have you posted me? Unlike Jacoby Brissett I know how to read and react..

I only know that I haven't responded to all of your posts.    Hell,  I haven't even read all of your posts.

And some of my responses were the emoticon for "confused"....   thanks to your rambling disjointed style....

So, if you want an answer.....    my responses to you are less -- much less than yours to me.

Feel free to take a break.......

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

JMO you also don’t take Barkley just because he is the next big thing when you have other needs 

You trade back get picks and draft a player like Nelson 

I know my opinion means nothing but I  see RB a low priority and my list will not be made until after FA

I agree with the notion to trade back and fill as many holes as possible. But with that being said it's not every year you pick in the top 5. Even if we're trading to 6-10 you need to be SET on the player or set of players you're choosing from. If you're SET on Barkley then trade back to 6 and take someone you're not 100% on it's not worth it.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I only know that I haven't responded to all of your posts.    Hell,  I haven't even read all of your posts.

And some of my responses were the emoticon for "confused"....   thanks to your rambling disjointed style....

So, if you want an answer.....    my responses to you are less -- much less than yours to me.

Honestly it's time to retire if you think Von Miller plays for Carolina...just saying..

2 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

I agree with the notion to trade back and fill as many holes as possible. But with that being said it's not every year you pick in the top 5. Even if we're trading to 6-10 you need to be SET on the player or set of players you're choosing from. If you're SET on Barkley then trade back to 6 and take someone you're not 100% on it's not worth it.

Yes and that is why I trust CB and FR and at least for me my board is not set until after FA

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You always chime in I only respond..I know you are easily confused, so I try and keep it simple for you as evidenced in this thread..

10 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Its worthless we should eliminate it..

1) Supply and demand

2) Positonal value 

3) The evolution of the NFL

4) Our current needs are vast (in more important positions)

5) Allocation of assets/money

6) We have an elite QB. There's a reason all the teams with elite QB's do RB by committee outside of Pittsburgh. (Who got Bell in the 2nd round anyways)

1 minute ago, Trueman said:

1) Supply and demand

2) Positonal value 

6) We have an elite QB. There's a reason all the teams with elite QB's do RB by committee outside of Pittsburgh. (Who got Bell in the 2nd round anyways)

We should follow them right? Forget our own experience with Manning and James? How about the magic Warner and Faulk made? That's my vision..Greatest show on turf 2.0..Where r u from by the way? Defense is proper spelling in America not defence..

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not totally worthless....we can use them to give the 'real football players' on Defense water and Gatorade. And sell peanuts and hot dogs in the stands.

That's what Zeke Elliot should be doing... haha

I know man..We need to just draft a fullback who is elite at blocking..

We should follow them right? Forget our own experience with Manning and James? How about the magic Warner and Faulk made? That's my vision..Greatest show on turf 2.0..Where r u from by the way? Defense is proper spelling in America not defence..

In the rest of the English speaking world it's defence. 

I'm Canadian , make your jokes now if you must.

7 minutes ago, Trueman said:

1) Supply and demand

2) Positonal value 

What about Goff and Gurley? Early stages, but what I envision..

Just now, Trueman said:

In the rest of the English speaking world it's defence. 

I'm Canadian , make your jokes now if you must.

No jokes just wondered..a lot of Europeans on this site who have no clue..Canadians are a different story..Hockey is similar enough to football and you got to witness Rocket Ismail dominate CFL...

What about Goff and Gurley? Early stages, but what I envision..

They had way more pieces in place . Don't feel forget the king's ransom Washington gave them for RG3. That allowed them to make decisions we can't. 

My hope is we get a team just as QB thirsty as the Redskins were. It would truly be the best thing for us, imo.

Sidenote: Is Goff really elite? I'm far from convinced, personally.

Just now, Trueman said:

They had way more pieces in place . Don't feel forget the king's ransom Washington gave them for RG3. That allowed them to make decisions we can't. 

My hope is we get a team just as QB thirsty as the Redskins were. It would truly be the best thing for us, imo.

Sidenote: Is Goff really elite? I'm far from convinced, personally.

I agree on lucrative tradeback, i would sacrifice Barkley for that..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

No jokes just wondered..a lot of Europeans on this site who have no clue..Canadians are a different story..Hockey is similar enough to football and you got to witness Rocket Ismail dominate CFL...

hah , well I've never watched a full CFL game in my life if that helps...

I know almost nothing about it.

He's probably 4th in line for the #3 pick for me.

Nelson

Chubb

Edmunds

Barkley.

Wouldn't be completely shattered if we took him but there are other RB's that we could take later on, especially if we have another second at our disposal. I'd pass unless the other 3 are gone before we have our first pick, wherever it ends up been.

37 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Dallas had an unbelievable OL in place , we do not.

Jags had an unbelievable defence in place, we do not. 

Plus, we have a franchise QB, they do not.

Did you see Dak Prescott against Atlanta & Denver this past season? Dallas's OL didn't look elite there & if they are as great as everyone claims they are there should be no drop off right? 

How many yrs have the Jags had #1 draft picks now? An eternity. They've only been relevant under QB Marc Brunell, Leftwich briefly, & this past season with RB Leonard Fournette &  CB Jalen Ramsey. 

We have an elite QB with a surgically repaired shoulder on his primary throwing arm. Now, more than ever he needs an elite back in Barkley to remove strain on that shoulder. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Did you see Dak Prescott against Atlanta & Denver this past season? Dallas's OL didn't look elite there & if they are as great as everyone claims they are there should be no drop off right? 

How many yrs have the Jags had #1 draft picks now? An eternity. They've only been relevant under QB Marc Brunell, Leftwich briefly, & this past season with RB Leonard Fournette &  CB Jalen Ramsey. 

We have an elite QB with a surgically repaired shoulder on his primary throwing arm. Now, more than ever he needs an elite back in Barkley to remove strain on that shoulder. 

This is cold hard truth..

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Not taking Barkley at #3 is entirely about Barkley.

You are a strong proponent of drafting BPA (Best Player Available). A couple of years ago when many here were upset about the Dorsett pick, you strongly defended it on the basis that it was BPA. Many wanted a defensive player (Landon Collins, Kendricks, Mack Brown), but you liked the pick. 

If Barkley turns out to be BPA when the Colts are on the clock, why are you so opposed to the Colts selecting him?

Btw, has the Forum ever created its own Big Board? Perhaps the Forum can have a daily poll and members can vote on the best player available from a list of, say, 10 to 15 players. The player with the most votes at the end of the day is added to the board. If this is done daily until draft day, about 60 players will be on the board. It is just an idea.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please notice your two examples, Smith and Sanders, are not only two Hall of Famers...  they were both drafted in the early 90's...    that's 25 years ago.

The NFL has changed dramatically since then with rules favoring passing over running.The

Sorry....    but this is not a relevant argument...

Yeah But if someone wants to talk about drafting a WR or TE this forum will condemn that pick too. You yourself, my friend, said in another thread that TE Goedert would be a luxury pick.

JMV said today we have only 2 WR's on team that have ever caught a NFL pass. Sounds like a need to me BUT I don't see too much concern here on that. 

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah But if someone wants to talk about drafting a WR or TE this forum will condemn that pick too. You yourself, my friend, said in another thread that TE Goedert would be a luxury pick.

JMV said today we have only 2 WR's on team that have ever caught a NFL pass. Sounds like a need to me BUT I don't see too much concern here on that. 

You are in a Colts forum, the thought of drafting a player who touches a ball other than a center is stupid and a waste..Build the trenches, we can find undrafted free agents to fill skill positions..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You are in a Colts forum, the thought of drafting a player who touches a ball other than a center is stupid and a waste..Build the trenches, we can find undrafted free agents to fill skill positions..

I bet if we talked about drafting the 50th ranked LB or DE we would get a gazillion likes haha