Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spending a top-20 pick on a RB is one of the worst decisions a team can make

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Apples to Oranges

Lol why can't people from your camp just admit Barkley is the better player now, with the given information... You can still say we should draft Chubb, while thinking Barkley is better. It may be apples to oranges but decide. That is how the draft works as well....

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, life long said:

Lol why can't people from your camp just admit Barkley is the better player now, with the given information... You can still say we should draft Chubb, while thinking Barkley is better. It may be apples to oranges but decide. That is how the draft works as well....

I have said more than once my preference is what is best for the Colts and feel this is not the time to project picks

If you want to understand my view read my multiple posts in this thread if not that is fine 

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have said more than once my preference is what is best for the Colts and feel this is not the time to project picks

If you want to understand my view read my multiple posts in this thread if not that is fine 

Fair enough, I can't force anyone to simplify such a complex scenario into just a flat out "who is better?". Obviously you feel the Colts would better themselves by not taking Barkley at 3, clearly I am on the opposite side of that coin. I know your stance well, you among many others have stated your reasoning very well. I just simply don't agree and think many of you are over thinking this whole process. Which I believe is why many hesitate on the Barkley vs. Chubb better football player question... Football is about people, everything does not always happen the way it should have. Sorry if I struck a nerve or annoyed btw.

11 hours ago, life long said:

You want a guy for the next 10 years. I want us to always build through the draft. Which I believe forces teams to let older players walk if they want the Brinks truck. Always get the younger cheaper option (if he is better/as good as what you have). And while I agree the game has changed a lot for passing teams. Still I think Barkley would be a huge threat receiving as well so I dont see that being a huge reason not to take a RB. I think if we have a chance to draft the best player in the draft, I say do it. Especially considering he immediately would upgrade the position IMO. I am not changing my opinion, and i dont expect anyone else too either. I think many people over complicate things, I am a minimalist. I'll stick with my gut, and it says Barkley>Chubb. Take the better players when you get a chance. We hopefully won't draft this high again for awhile. I am a fan, with a fans mentality.... Either way.... GO COLTS!

I appreciate the discussion without resorting to extremes.

I don't think building through the draft means constantly letting good players walk in free agency. You aren't going to have a roster of 53 players all under 27 years old. When you hit on a good player in the draft, most often the idea is to keep him for a second contract, unless he feels his value is is greater than the team does. So yeah, I do think a high draft pick should be projected to play at a high level for 8-10 years, if not more. 

Barkley being a receiving threat improves his value, but there are lots of really good receiving backs in the NFL. Kamara, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Hunt, Bell, McCoy, etc. Takes me back to value above replacement.

Lastly, while we are just accepting the supposed consensus viewpoint that Barkley is ahead of Chubb -- I won't argue it, but I'm not as convinced as everyone else -- it's not like Barkley is a 9 and Chubb is a 7. If Barkley's a 9.5, Chubb is, at worst, a solid 9. He is a very good prospect in his own right with a high floor and great potential. As much as Barkley is being oversold lately, Chubb is starting to be underrated. People are talking about him like he's just a run of the mill pass rush prospect, and I don't think I agree with that.

And then there's Nelson, who will start at a high level on Day 1, probably be one of the best 5-10 guards in the league by his second season, and will most likely have a longer and better career than Barkley, be paid more on his second contract, and be more likely to finish that second contract. Everyone's talking about Barkley like he's the can't miss prospect in this draft, but really, I think it's Nelson. Of course, I value longevity more than you.

Again, good discussion, and like you said, GO COLTS!

Trade down with Jets #6. Get their rd 2 # 50 pick + 4th rd #102 pick+ 2nd rd 2019 pick.  

1. Q.Nelson

2. M.Mcglinchey + A. Key

3.W. Hernandez 

4.S.Michel+ Auden Tate

5. Tre'quan Smith

6.Michael Joseph ( best kept secret)

7. S. Griffin

On 2/27/2018 at 6:26 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

taking a game changer is great no matter the position he plays, I am glad gms don't draft by fan rules like never take a rb in the first. a game changer is rare take him no matter the position he plays

There has been 5 running backs drafted in the 1st round the last five years.....27 pass rushers.  Seems gms are taking positional value into account.

54 minutes ago, BOTT said:

There has been 5 running backs drafted in the 1st round the last five years.....27 pass rushers.  Seems gms are taking positional value into account.

The hit rate on those 5 RB's is 80%, i wonder what it is on the pass rushers?

37 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

The hit rate on those 5 RB's is 80%, i wonder what it is on the pass rushers?

Tha's not the point.  The point is NFL teams value pass rushers far more.  If people love Barkley or Nelson, fine, but don't peddle falsehoods like positional value doesn't matter to general managers.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Tha's not the point.  The point is NFL teams value pass rushers far more.  If people love Barkley or Nelson, fine, but don't peddle falsehoods like positional value doesn't matter to general managers.

I think it's more of the rarity of elite level backs..There usually is one with that type of ability in most drafts and sometimes none..