Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spending a top-20 pick on a RB is one of the worst decisions a team can make

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why the RB position is less important then the next.

Pats do not win the SB with out blunt, Philly does not win with out Blunt, Seahawks do not win without Lynch. I can't remember any team winning without a respectable running game.

It makes no sense to me why some people think picking a RB is a waste in the first. We need teams to learn to fear and respect our running game. 

Also I will be just as stoked if we get Chubb. I just want us to take the best player available and not worry about the position. 

3 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I don't know why the RB position is less important then the next.

Pats do not win the SB with out blunt, Philly does not win with out Blunt, Seahawks do not win without Lynch. I can't remember any team winning without a respectable running game.

It makes no sense to me why some people think picking a RB is a waste in the first. We need teams to learn to fear and respect our running game. 

Also I will be just as stoked if we get Chubb. I just want us to take the best player available and not worry about the position. 

Blount was a UDFA, Lynch was a retread

I never said that RBs are not value and that the only way I would be happy with a SB Pick is If and only if our other needs have already been address or those players that fit the need are off the board

but I can only speak for myself

3 hours ago, Trueman said:

Dallas had an unbelievable OL in place , we do not.

Jags had an unbelievable defence in place, we do not. 

Plus, we have a franchise QB, they do not.

All good points but in terms of run blocking this line isn't that bad its pass blocking where its terrible we could pick any of the three that being Barkley,Chubb or Nelson and this team would still improve.

38 minutes ago, Trueman said:

How a (average) sophomore QB performs isn't a direct indication of an OL's quality. Everyone knows injuries and departures causes their OL performance to drop off anyways. Zeke wasn't drafted behind that OL , he was drafted behind the previous incarnation that included ( and still does) several 1st round picks. Either way , there's an endless amount of variables/reasons to why they didn't do as well this year.

Drafting Fournette didn't suddenly propel Jacksonville into the playoffs. A ton of factors caused that. Coughlin returning being an overlooked aspect and Houston's terrible injury luck as well. 

Drafting Barkley because Luck has been hurt doesn't make sense. You know what does? Fixing our O-line and defence so we don't depend on him to do everything . We can find a good back , just because we don't get an elite one, doesn't suddenly mean Luck is less likely to get injured..  

Clearly, I must have been ambiguous. Let me try this again. It really has nothing to do with Dak at all. I was making the point that an elite offensive line should be able to win games regardless of who is under center at QB. No, the reason why Dallas had a horrible yr is simple: Dez Bryant can't catch anything, get open, or run crisp routes. With Zeke suspended that offense lost it's chemistry. Jason Whitten scares no one as a TE & the only WR in single coverage #88 will drop the ball like clockwork. I like Dak Prescott he's the only Cowboy I respect in this era on that squad.

Right. :scratch:  Let's trust Bortles over Fournette who reduces the chances of the Jags QB coughing up the ball. Winning football isn't always about yards per carry but maintaining possession on offense without coughing up the ball & Ramsey in the secondary gives your field general more touches or opportunities to score. 

Do you know how many years fans have been saying fix the line in INDY? Several. Coach Joe Philbin  did a good job on running blocking for our power pigs up front. Pass blocking needs some work though. How does an elite RB not make sense for us? I realize it's more of a pass rusher need & the place of the pick itself for most fans. But, if I believe in a guy & think he's a difference maker I jump without hesitation. It's not about grabbing a good back. It's about a back who can take so much pressure off Luck. It's the timing for me--Luck coming off surgery & the caliber of Barkley himself at his position. 

"just because we don't get an elite one, doesn't suddenly mean Luck is less likely to get injured." 

It's because Luck's career is ticking yr 6 & nobody can tell us medically right now Chewbacca will return back to his old self that we need an insurance policy in Barkley to resume Andrew's career longterm. Injuries can happen to any QB I realize, but Luck's situation is different since he hasn't played a regular season game in quite awhile. 

Thank you for your post Trueman. We will never agree on Barkley & that's perfectly fine. 

1 hour ago, Finball said:

I think it would tell something we already know, QB is the most important position.

Only one RB had average salary of 8.5M or more last year.

OL? 37.

DL? 31.

Those players were (wrongly) valued, they just weren't good.

I can't disagree that the biggest salaries typically go to QBs, LTs, elite corners, top tier centers usually get paid, DEs etc. Yes, RBs are usually not highly paid just ask Adrian Peterson no longer in Minnesota. With rookie draft scales locked in now, the overpayment fear is not as legitimate as it once was a la Sam Bradford days are over. 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

The big boys get paid..Peterson got paid, Bell is gonna get 15 million per, and Zeke will be paid soon..Sure you can try and avg salary when you got 5 running backs some on league minimum...You got a backups at every other position if you construct team right, but some positions have 1 backup, aome like RB have 3 or 4 so the numbers aren't relevant..Most players in NFL aren't millionaires..

Yep, I'm not naive about landing Barkley meaning I don't expect to, but I can dream right? LOL! 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

That's like saying over paying QBs in free agency like Kirk Cousins means where ever he lands that team is going to the SB.

A pay scale doesn't dictate value automatically. Ryan Leaf...Albert Haynesworth in Washington...Jamarcus Russell in the Black Hole...

It highlights positional value.  Running backs are paid less for a reason.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It highlights positional value.  Running backs are paid less for a reason.

Next to the center & QB, running backs often touch the ball the most on offense. The only reason nobody wants to pay them now is because of punishment they sustain on their knees, ACL tears, ankle issues, hamstring pulls, & turf toe complications as they get tackled or taken down. 

Everybody acts like it's an extinct position until you have to run to bleed out the clock & can't. Remember, how Atlanta lost a SB to the Patriots when they became so enamored with throwing the ball & failed to seal the deal? I do.  

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Next to the center & QB, running backs often touch the ball the most on offense. The only reason nobody wants to pay them now is because of punishment they sustain on their knees, ACL tears, ankle issues, hamstring pulls, & turf toe complications as they get tackled or taken down. 

Everybody acts like it's an extinct position until you have to run to bleed out the clock & can't. Remember, how Atlanta lost a SB to the Patriots when they became so enamored with throwing the ball & failed to seal the deal? I do.  

No , they don't get paid a lot because there's a ton of them out there , and you can manufacture elite production with multiple backs / a good OL/ a good QB. 

You don't need an elite RB to get elite production. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So red & white is Princeton's colors?

For some reason i thought you was a Detroit Tiger fan and went to princeton. My bad lol

Technically it is has been Princeton Community since 1965 but since There are 2 other PCHS in the Tri-State most people refer to the school as only Princeton

I went to college at Southern Indiana

13 minutes ago, Trueman said:

No , they don't get paid a lot because there's a ton of them out there , and you can manufacture elite production with multiple backs / a good OL/ a good QB. 

Aren't you the one who told me that when Elway won 2 SBs with Terrell Davis that essentially a blast from the NFL past that won't work in the contemporary NFL anymore? When did Brady beat Ryan in OT again?  Oh yeah, 2017. And why did Atlanta lose that game? A failure to run the ball late. 

"You don't need an elite RB to get elite production" 

An endless array of backs means absolutely nothing. Quality vs quantity makes an enormous difference Trueman.

14 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Its not all about production. A slew of average RB's won't make the Defense put 8 men in the box. A elite RB will sometimes. A elite RB will prevent a defense from playong nickel. A DC gameplans to stop a elite RB AND that makes passing easier.

21 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, the punishment you describe is a big reason teams are hesitant to use a high pick on a rb.  I want a premier player that will be with the team for a decade.... not a player that might be worn down at 27.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Its not all about production. A slew of average RB's won't make the Defense put 8 men in the box. A elite RB will sometimes. A elite RB will prevent a defense from playong nickel. A DC gameplans to stop a elite RB AND that makes passing easier.

1 elite RB doesn’t stop a 75 yard TD pass that a weak D does

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Aren't you the one who told me that when Elway won 2 SBs with Terrell Davis that essentially a blast from the NFL past that won't work in the contemporary NFL anymore? When did Brady beat Ryan in OT again?  Oh yeah, 2017. And why did Atlanta lose that game? A failure to run the ball late. 

An endless array of backs means absolutely nothing. Quality vs quantity makes an enormous difference Trueman.

No, I didn't say that all about Elway or TD and it's relation to the modern NFL.

I said their zone blocking scheme made 1000 yard rushers out of nobody's routinely and that TD was a 6th round pick.

The Falcons  didn't lose because they didn't have an elite running. They had 2 very good backs/elite backs (3rd and 4th round picks btw). They lost because of play-calling and execution. It's not because they didn't have Todd Gurley that they lost.

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

That was poor play calling on atlanta's part. They have a damn good rb and just wouldn't give him the ball.

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If a defense puts 8 men in the box it means your QB sucks.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Yes, the punishment you describe is a big reason teams are hesitant to use a high pick on a rb.  I want a premier player that will be with the team for a decade.... not a player that might be worn down at 27.

Usually the team doesn't want to pay a player any way once his rookie contract is up. 

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

No, I didn't say that all about Elway or TD and it's relation to the modern NFL.

I said their zone blocking scheme made 1000 yard rushers out of nobody's routinely and that TD was a 6th round pick.

The Falcons  didn't lose because they didn't have an elite running. They had 2 very good backs/elite backs (3rd and 4th round picks btw). They lost because of play-calling and execution. It's not because they didn't have Todd Gurley that they lost.

Beat me to it.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

I respect your position BOTT. I'm not trying to coerce anyone to my POV.

I"m just getting tired of new posters always having to be right especially after I told him politely, I might add. that he & I will never see eye to eye on Barkley. Some people can't take a hint apparently. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I respect your position BOTT. I'm not trying to coerce anyone to my POV.

I"m just getting tired of new posters always having to be right especially after I told him politely, I might add. that he & I will never see eye to eye on Barkley. Some people can't take a hint apparently. 

This should not be a fight of old posters and new posters

If you don’t like the response the best thing is do not respond