Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Spending a top-20 pick on a RB is one of the worst decisions a team can make

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Barkley is 30 lbs heavier than McCaffrey and much faster, almost 2 tenths faster in the 40...To go along with a 4.33 40 time, he is freakishly strong.. He is a RB, but holds Penn States all- time record in the power clean at 405 lbs, he squats 525 lbs 5 times, and he did 30 reps at 225 lbs in the bench press...So he is basically as big as a linebacker, will be the fastest running back in the NFL , and he is stronger than most NFL defensive and offensive linemen...That is why he gets all the hype...Guys like this very rarely come around, he is a true freak of nature and has a great character and work ethic to go along with it..

But yet and still Mccafrey was more productive. And Mccafrey was in a Committee. Dont recall any other significant names in a time share with Barkley. Not that him being less productive than Mac means the NFL career will be the same.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

How did Solomon Thomas work out last year for SF?  

DE, selected 3rd overall with a whopping 3 sacks.

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I thought he would do way better..One reason I worry about Chubb..

Isn't this the equivalent of saying 'I worry about Barkley because Richardson was a bust'?

Also, are we really determining whether the Thomas pick was good after one, injury-riddled season? 

Also, Thomas wasn't a prototypical edge rush prospect, and isn't comparable to Chubb.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Isn't this the equivalent of saying 'I worry about Barkley because Richardson was a bust'?

Also, are we really determining whether the Thomas pick was good after one, injury-riddled season? 

Also, Thomas wasn't a prototypical edge rush prospect, and isn't comparable to Chubb.

Chubb has almost IDENTICAL measurables as Soloman Thomas..Just saying..Richardson isn't in the even in Barkley's area code..

56 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Chubb has almost IDENTICAL measurables as Soloman Thomas..Just saying..Richardson isn't in the even in Barkley's area code..

Solomon Thomas is horrible comparison. Thomas is athletic freak who was raw and unrefined as EDGE defender. Chubb is one of the better technicians and refined EDGE defenders, but the question with him is his athleticism. They win in very different ways. The only thing similar between them is their size. 

6 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Chubb has ran as low as 4.74 and as high as 4.95..Thomas ran a 4.69 at combine so if anything he is faster..The both a very similar players on tape..

No they are not. Solomon Thomas was winning mainly when playing inside and due to his athleticism, Chubb is winning with hand usage, strength and technique and is winning at EDGE.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

No they are not. Solomon Thomas was winning mainly when playing inside and due to his athleticism, Chubb is winning with hand usage, strength and technique and is winning at EDGE.

And now he is playing outside in pros with limited sucess, and I actually thought he would be able to play outside in pros and so far I've be WRONG...I guarantee they test very similar in every test at combine..When I thought we were still running 3-4 I said Chubb could play inside..They are similar players almost identical size Thomas is slightly more athletic which makes my point about Chubb transitioning to pros..Everyone says Chubb has elite hand usage..lol..I see a guy who mainly uses strength and a bull rush 80% of the time..I go by what I see..

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Solomon Thomas is horrible comparison. Thomas is athletic freak who was raw and unrefined as EDGE defender. Chubb is one of the better technicians and refined EDGE defenders, but the question with him is his athleticism. They win in very different ways. The only thing similar between them is their size. 

Soloman Thomas isn't an athletic freak..lol..Myles Garrett is an athletic freak..

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

There are 2 things that guys like Ricky Williams, Trent Richardson and Saquon Barkley-Power 5 Schools and Hype Machines

Both scare me off

I know right..We should look to draft guys from small schools and inferior competition like Bashaam...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

I know right..We should look to draft guys from small schools and inferior competition like Bashaam...

Jerry Rice, Terry Bradshaw, Carson Wentz

Jack Doyle a UDFA from Western Kentucky beat out a drafted player from a Power 5 School

Just because someone went to a Power 5 school doesn’t make them better than everyone 

That is why Scouts and Coaches break down Game film and the NFL has a combine and individual workouts with prospects

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

And now he is playing outside in pros with limited sucess, and I actually thought he would be able to play outside in pros and so far I've be WRONG...I guarantee they test very similar in every test at combine..When I thought we were still running 3-4 I said Chubb could play inside..They are similar players almost identical size Thomas is slightly more athletic which makes my point about Chubb transitioning to pros..Everyone says Chubb has elite hand usage..lol..I see a guy who mainly uses strength and a bull rush 80% of the time..I go by what I see..

You cannot judge players by size alone and say they are similar players because they are both 6'4" 270... Size without athleticism and skills is nothing. If Chubb tests similar to Solomon Thomas, he is a generational talent. Let me reiterrate that - if Chubb tests similar to Solomon Thomas he is a generational talent... If he tests similar to Thomas he will not drop to us. I can guarantee you that, he will get picked before we pick. Solomon Thomas absolutely destroyed the combine. He posted some freaky stuff across the board from strength numbers(benchpress), through explosiveness numbers(broad jump), agility numbers(3cone under 7) to speed numbers(10 yard split and 40 dash). 

They are no similar and I don't expect Chubb to test similarly(especially in the speed test)

12 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Soloman Thomas isn't an athletic freak..lol..Myles Garrett is an athletic freak..

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/solomon-thomas?id=2558018

Check his tests across the board. Thomas IS a freak of an athlete. 3 cone under 7 seconds for a 273lbs man!!!! 4.28 Shuttle!!! 126 broad jump! Those are freaky numbers. Even him testing in the 4.6s in the 40s is pretty damn impressive when you account for his size. 

Look at his mockdraftable web:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/solomon-thomas

This IS freaky! He's above 74th percentile in EVERY SINGLE TEST! 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

There are 2 things that guys like Ricky Williams, Trent Richardson and Saquon Barkley-Power 5 Schools and Hype Machines

Both scare me off

The argument between Chubb and Barkley can go on for months with comparisons to other players and nobody would win the debate. For every TRich comparison Barkley gets and I can throw out a DE that was a bust and compare him to Chubb. We can play match all day to prove our points and nobody would win the debate. One thing I do know is, coming out of the Draft Barkley is the best prospect and nobody in the media disagrees with that. So if he's there at 3rd then we shouldn't take the BPA is what you and others are saying because he's a RB? I can see Browns and Giants passing him up only because they may want to gamble and Draft their next possible franchise QB so that would make sense.

You cannot judge players by size alone and say they are similar players because they are both 6'4" 270... Size without athleticism and skills is nothing. If Chubb tests similar to Solomon Thomas, he is a generational talent. Let me reiterrate that - if Chubb tests similar to Solomon Thomas he is a generational talent... If he tests similar to Thomas he will not drop to us. I can guarantee you that, he will get picked before we pick. Solomon Thomas absolutely destroyed the combine. He posted some freaky stuff across the board from strength numbers(benchpress), through explosiveness numbers(broad jump), agility numbers(3cone under 7) to speed numbers(10 yard split and 40 dash). 

They are no similar and I don't expect Chubb to test similarly(especially in the speed test)

Chubb will test worse..There you go..I was saying when I watch them and identical size I see similar players and Chubb has ran a 4.74, Thomas ran a 4.69 at combine so Im not on Chubb train..

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The argument between Chubb and Barkley can go on for months with comparisons to other players and nobody would win the debate. For every TRich comparison Barkley gets and I can throw out a DE that was a bust and compare him to Chubb. We can play match all day to prove our points and nobody would win the debate. One thing I do know is, coming out of the Draft Barkley is the best prospect and nobody in the media disagrees with that. So if he's there at 3rd then we shouldn't take the BPA is what you and others are saying because he's a RB? I can see Browns and Giants passing him up only because they may want to gamble and Draft their next possible franchise QB so that would make sense.

Have I ever said drat Chubb 

My point 

Be Weary of a Hype Machine and Draft and/or Trade for Need

Check his tests across the board. Thomas IS a freak of an athlete. 3 cone under 7 seconds for a 273lbs man!!!! 4.28 Shuttle!!! 126 broad jump! Those are freaky numbers. Even him testing in the 4.6s in the 40s is pretty damn impressive when you account for his size. 

That is called most 1st rd picks..smh

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Chubb has been compared to Kerrigan and I see that as close to his ceiling as well which is great..On your link..Guess who they compare Thomas to? Ryan Kerrigan...hmm

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Have I ever said drat Chubb 

My point 

Be Weary of a Hype Machine and Draft and/or Trade for Need

No you haven't and I wasn't single you out, I was making a point because you are saying don't take Barkley. Not only is he the BPA coming out he is even a need for our team. Out of being curious who would you take at 3rd? Because if you don't want Chubb, then Nelson can be the only other choice that would makes sense.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This debate reminds me of reading and hearing about the Al Davis’ Raiders

They drafted DHB in the 1st because of his speed 

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This debate reminds me of reading and hearing about the Al Davis’ Raiders

They drafted DHB in the 1st because of his speed 

They also drafted a guy you might have heard of named Bo Jackson for similar reasons..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

That is called most 1st rd picks..smh

No it's not! 

Derek Barnett 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/derek-barnett

Takkarist McKinley:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/takkarist-mckinley

Even TJ Watt who was somewhat of a workout warrior is not as good across the board:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Charrles Harris:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/charles-harris

Taco Charlton:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/taco-charlton

Those are just the ones from last year. None of them is close.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No you haven't and I wasn't single you out, I was making a point because you are saying don't take Barkley. Not only is he the BPA coming out he is even a need for our team. Out of being curious who would you take at 3rd? Because if you don't want Chubb, then Nelson can be the only other choice that would makes sense.

Will not decide until after FA

But RB is not a top priority in my book 

17 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Chubb will test worse..There you go..I was saying when I watch them and identical size I see similar players and Chubb has ran a 4.74, Thomas ran a 4.69 at combine so Im not on Chubb train..

I knew exactly what you were doing. Don't worry. No need to show your hand before it's played out. You were setting up Chubb to fail against a standard that everybody considers elite, but you for some reason don't.

I don't think Chubb runs 4.74. I think he will be closer to 4.8. To me his explosiveness and agility numbers will be much more important than his 40. I will also be looking at his 10 yard split for quickness.  

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Chubb has been compared to Kerrigan and I see that as close to his ceiling as well which is great..On your link..Guess who they compare Thomas to? Ryan Kerrigan...hmm

Those comparisons are not perfect, if I had to guess a ton of the similarity is drawn because of their size. Look at Kerrigan's web:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/ryan-kerrigan

He's not close to the athlete Thomas is. But he's close in size... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

No it's not! 

Derek Barnett 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/derek-barnett

Takkarist McKinley:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/takkarist-mckinley

Even TJ Watt who was somewhat of a workout warrior is not as good across the board:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt

Charrles Harris:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/charles-harris

Taco Charlton:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/taco-charlton

Those are just the ones from last year. None of them is close.

Good grief Soloman Thomas was 3rd pick...Chubb is being talked about as 3rd pick..I wasn't comparing Thomas to any of those players I am comparing him to Chubb..Chubb will test well at combine similar to Thomas..I judge him based on what I see watching him..I am on the record saying he could be a Cam Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan player..I never said he will not be good I just said he possibly could be a step slow of the edge, and isn't a sure thing..I won't be mad if we take him, I'm just annoyed by the people saying not to take the Best Player in the Draft Barkley because he is a RB...That is DUMB..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Good grief Soloman Thomas was 3rd pick...Chubb is being talked about as 3rd pick..I wasn't comparing Thomas to any of those players I am comparing him to Chubb..Chubb will test well at combine similar to Thomas..I judge him based on what I see watching him..I am on the record saying he could be a Cam Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan player..I never said he will not be good I just said he possibly could be a step slow of the edge, and isn't a sure thing..I won't be mad if we take him, I'm just annoyed by the people saying not to take the Best Player in the Draft Barkley because he is a RB...That is DUMB..

Cam Jordan and Ryan Kerrigan type of player is MUCH more valuable in the league than Barkley. If I knew Chubb will be this type of player, I draft him without much hesitation. 

Just now, jshipp23 said:

You can’t have it both ways because that is why TR, RW, and others are being brought-Draft Position