Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN and Fox fighting to sign Peyton [Merge]

RockThatBlue

21 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Little segments and or rehearsed skits can be different than carrying a broadcast for a complete game

This reminds of people saying Michael Jordan would/should be a great a baseball based on his basketball greatness 

Michael tried to play another sport. If Peyton wanted to join the pro golf tour (or the Seniors Tour in a few years) I'd agree with you.

But he's done dozens of pre-game talk sessions when the networks came to do Bronco or Colt games.

He's talked to all the announcers who did Colts and Broncos games because when they wanted to interview players leading up to the game, he was probably the one they asked for first.

And remember how in Denver, Peyton just took over offensive practices, describing what his offensive teammates assignments are and going through the line calls and audibles?.  That's basically live commentary of football.

I just don't know if he wants to. Traveling from town to town for the weekly game might be just a routine he is glad to get rid of since his playing days.

A GM has home games. A broadcaster does not.

He may not want to move his family and he's not going to be GM in Denver anytime soon.

I'm guessing, he'll continue to stay retired.

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I think you're right..Peyton probably does want own a own team.

GM or part owner....is  a role I see for him.

The thing about broadcasting is: You dont compete. Pays well. Fun. But you don't win or lose.

I think Peyton (like Elway) enjoys the 'win or lose' thing.

Again though, its been 2 years now and I've never seen quotes from him saying where he's going professionally..

Lots of speculation from other people but if he has said what he'd like to do for a living now (other than make commercials) I have missed it.  I have no real idea what he wants to do.

Heck, Peyton is rich enough and stays busy running his businesses and foundations and really does what he wants. I can see him doing what he has been doing till his kids grow up some.

Like you said he hasn't really said what he is going to do so anything said is just speculation.

Shoot, if I had his kind of money I wouldn't take a job at all. Just kick back and enjoy his family.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jules said:

Meh, I might be alone here in thinking Peyton could do a lot better than this? He's Peyton freaking Manning!

They must all be begging him to get ratings up.

No you clearly missed my post saying the same thing.

I agree the NFL lost one of their most iconic stars in recent years and none of the current players fit that bill. Sure there's Brady but he's not nearly as popular compared to Manning anyways. And the ratings have fallen ever since.

Putting that aside as someone else pointed out Eli is still playing I can't see Peyton wanting to comment on Eli's games.

The reason why nobody has heard Manning's post NFL plans is because he doesn't know what they are. He makes commercials, goes to some of Eli's games and raises his family sounds like a good life to me for the foreseeable future.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that many here don't like ESPN and Fox for their news and opinions shows....

But do you also dislike them for their game broadcasts?      Really?

May I ask why?      What do they do that you don't like on game broadcasts?

Like i said they both suck , 

I dislike them regardless however if there showing a COLTS game I will tune into watch I am a Colts Homer I make no apologies for it , Yes 

Your opinion is noted & my opinion is set in stone I love my team & I do flip thru those channels but they offer very lil info on the Colts & generally its not positive ,

These off season threads really suck so now we defend ESPN wow what a waste of time please don't quote me again on this subject it really is a stupid thread & I'v gave my opinion I have nothing further to add .

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I would love to hear Peyton analyze a game but he wont do it on TV. He has far more money than TV networks could think about paying him. Dollars wont get him to criticize other NFL QBs, a group that includes his brother.

I dont think there's any chance that Peyton will be in the booth on Monday or Thursday.  'Constructive criticism' isnt always seem as such. Players and coaches take offense.

Can you really see Peyton pointing out the mistakes of Eli on national TV?. No chance.

I believe he wants to be in management like John Elway.

But I'm just guessing.

I dont know because I have never heard him say anything publically about his future plans..

I get the dry run stuff meaning fine-tune your analyst cap with no cameras around because nobody sounds good doing something foreign to them the very first time since watching film & offering commentary on it to the public is a whole different ball of wax. Sometimes, people don't have a good speaking voice when amplified either like the old saying "his face was made for radio." 

I get the I won't criticize my sibling Eli thing. I probably couldn't say anything bad about my own sister to millions of fans across TV land either. However, all you do there is have your cohost analyze Eli's performance & Peyton would just focus on the o-line & RBs. Not all that hard really. And if you broach a subject too close to home, Manning would just say Eli's my brother, I love him, & I'm not gonna go down this particular road with you sorry, Wanna talk up how well, the RB was on blitz pickup tonight? We can discuss that all night long. 

Yeah, a front office NFL gig is right up Peyton's alley. I agree with you totally on that one OUM. I could see Elway & Manning working together at some point. 

The hardest part is the transition from a player to a reporter where franchises see you [your profession] as an entity designed to leak juicy headlines & blow minor quotes out of context or way out of proportion for ratings. Also, I hate social media coverage now. NFL Network has this segment called "What's Trending Now" & it bothers me because I don't care which restaurant makes your favorite sandwich or how sweet your new ride is. I'm so glad I grew up in an era before FaceBook & Twitter took over the world. 

5 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Do you dislike Romo as an analyst because he was with the Cowboys? I know how much you hate the Cowboys, so wondering if that's part of it. I'm asking because almost everyone I know likes hearing Romo.; you're one of the few who doesn't.

Anyway, Manning can take over for Collinsworth any day. Collinsworth never bothered me at first, but this season he started to get on my nerves. I don't watch ESPN except for MNF.

Hey there TS, 

It's a legit question. I think Tony's a nice guy who marred a pretty wife & is probably a really good father to his children. If he was in civilian clothes, I might even chat with him for a second, but put him in a Dallas uniform I want him sacked all night long. Whenever INDY loses, the only thing that cheers me up is when the Cowboys get crushed. LOL! 

My mom tells me that I'm set in my ways, find comfort in familiarity, & really dislike change. Uh huh. I am. When Phil got replaced for Tony, I was like is this some sick joke? Stop playing. Don't mess with my routine CBS. Phil & Jim just clicked man like peanut butter & jelly, ice cream & cake, & extended vacation days that fall on Natl. Holidays. Maybe I did transfer some early resentment to Tony that he didn't deserve like transferring my anger toward the wrong person. 

I heard TV broadcaster Brent Musburger say not that long ago that Tony tends to interrupt Jim Nantz a lot & cut him off too much, which I agree with. He does. I know; I know. Give Romo time. Funny thing is this: I really enjoy Troy Aikman & Joe Buck a lot. Those 2 have perfected making the other look awesome during their broadcast. Tony should use Troy & Joe as an example of how to elevate his game in the booth. I respect Troy too because he won playoff games & 3 rings. Tony, on the other hand, never even got to 1 Championship Game. It's a team sport that is true, but elite QBs find a way to take their squad where they need to go. Just saying. 

Manning & Collinsworth together down the line. That would work as long as Peyton told Cris on the air "This love affair you have with Brady is a bit odd. Why do you praise a former rival of mine so much? We need to get to the bottom of this & I'm a hades of a lot cheaper than $300 bucks an hour. Do you prefer the couch or a nice comfy chair?" LOL! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that many here don't like ESPN and Fox for their news and opinions shows....

well fox did have that stupid football robot thing that no one liked :headspin:

random thought here, but why do we have a patriots logo in the emoticons?

:flyingelvis: :rawr:

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well fox did have that stupid football robot thing that no one liked :headspin:

random thought here, but why do we have a patriots logo in the emoticons?

:flyingelvis: :rawr:

Yeah, that Fox robot thing is definitely strange like when you see pharmaceutical ads on TV with cartoon characters in them. It just means Fox paid some IT expert to create a cyborg Terminator knock off because some fool at the top thought a CGI mascot would be so rad amongst the kids. NOT! 

I think the main reason why the moderators kept the Flying Elvis Patriots symbol & dumped all the other ones is because NE is the 1 team everybody's gotta knock off in order to win a ring. Like zeroing in on the 1 squad that is a thorn in everybody else's side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Heck, Peyton is rich enough and stays busy running his businesses and foundations and really does what he wants. I can see him doing what he has been doing till his kids grow up some.

Like you said he hasn't really said what he is going to do so anything said is just speculation.

Shoot, if I had his kind of money I wouldn't take a job at all. Just kick back and enjoy his family.

Peyton probably does get a kick out of all the attention he still generates after walking away from the game. His net worth must be astronomical at this point. I know money's not everything. Ever notice how people with more money than God always say that? Hmmm....Just an observation. 

He probably does have a variety of foundations that he works with. I do wonder how Peyton scratches that competitive edge though when he's not in a locker room anymore. That juice doesn't just disappear in highly motivated athletes. 

I also think about this occasionally too. How big of a reward does Peyton give his kids for cleaning their room & other household chores? Is he taking any  adoption applications? I'm game. haha

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Like i said they both suck , 

I dislike them regardless however if there showing a COLTS game I will tune into watch I am a Colts Homer I make no apologies for it , Yes 

Your opinion is noted & my opinion is set in stone I love my team & I do flip thru those channels but they offer very lil info on the Colts & generally its not positive ,

These off season threads really suck so now we defend ESPN wow what a waste of time please don't quote me again on this subject it really is a stupid thread & I'v gave my opinion I have nothing further to add .

Huh?

Someone's in a bad mood.   I didn't defend either ESPN or FOX.    I simply asked what they did that you don't like? I was honestly curious for your reasons and wanted to know.   

Not only didn't you do that, but you bit my head off just for asking.    Thanks for nothing....    have a nice day...

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

ESPN's game broadcast on MNF is fine. No real complaints there except that once in awhile co-host Sean McDonough is hard to hear. His voice does not carry well even with the mics on seems knowledgeable though. Lisa Salters has a nice speaking voice too. I'm very cognizant of that given all the public speaking I've done growing up. I wish more networks would focus on how well their on air talent speaks as well. Their tone, their tempo, their resonance, & their ability to cut thru noise if necessary. 

I don't watch a lot of the opinion shows. Stephen A Smith knows basketball & I do enjoy when he shreds the Cowboys but when he gets into his fire & brimstone mode. I tune out. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I simply asked what they did that you don't like? I was honestly curious for your reasons and wanted to know.   

Honesty, there's ESPN personalities I like Steve Young, Trent Dilfer, Cari Champion is good at what she does & is well spoken; Jeff Saturday of course. You gotta have a good rhythm & flow when you speak & pronounce your words well. I learned that lesson in high school Forensics & never forgot it. It's like telling a great joke. There's setting the scene, the delivery, & then wham the payoff or punchline. Gotta bring it all home. That's what people remember--How you pull it all together for the grand finale which is what makes speaking for a living an art form & very, very difficult. 

Mostly, I just dislike how so much ESPN coverage loves to prop NE up like BB invented the game of football or something while undercutting INDY's accomplishments at every turn like they enjoy twisting the knife in our backs for spite. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Someone's in a bad mood.   I didn't defend either ESPN or FOX.    I simply asked what they did that you don't like? I was honestly curious for your reasons and wanted to know.   

Not only didn't you do that, but you bit my head off just for asking.    Thanks for nothing....    have a nice day...

Bad Mood  ?  No   

I had hoped I made my point  unfortunately you want to be a pest I gave you my opinion  was it not good enough ? 

Bite  your head off ? :spit: That is just non sense . 

I spoke to you as an adult not realizing how sensitive you might be my bad I gave you my best answers for my opinion .

Whether you like it or not ,

Thanks for trolling me now move on , I'm a Californian from East L.A  I rarely care what others think I just give my honest opinion in my way I am not politically correct nor do I try to be . 

Your Welcome 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

ESPN's game broadcast on MNF is fine. No real complaints there except that once in awhile co-host Sean McDonough is hard to hear. His voice does not carry well even with the mics on seems knowledgeable though. Lisa Salters has a nice speaking voice too. I'm very cognizant of that given all the public speaking I've done growing up. I wish more networks would focus on how well their on air talent speaks as well. Their tone, their tempo, their resonance, & their ability to cut thru noise if necessary. 

I don't watch a lot of the opinion shows. Stephen A Smith knows basketball & I do enjoy when he shreds the Cowboys but when he gets into his fire & brimstone mode. I tune out. 

Honesty, there's ESPN personalities I like Steve Young, Trent Dilfer, Cari Champion is good at what she does & is well spoken; Jeff Saturday of course. You gotta have a good rhythm & flow when you speak & pronounce your words well. I learned that lesson in high school Forensics & never forgot it. It's like telling a great joke. There's setting the scene, the delivery, & then wham the payoff or punchline. Gotta bring it all home. That's what people remember--How you pull it all together for the grand finale which is what makes speaking for a living an art form & very, very difficult. 

Mostly, I just dislike how so much ESPN coverage loves to prop NE up like BB invented the game of football or something while undercutting INDY's accomplishments at every turn like they enjoy twisting the knife in our backs for spite. 

Indianapolis is fly over Territory and the Irsay Family has a history

13 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Little segments and or rehearsed skits can be different than carrying a broadcast for a complete game

This reminds of people saying Michael Jordan would/should be a great a baseball based on his basketball greatness 

If romo can pull it off,   I'm sure Peyton would be fine.    Its  nothing like trying to play another sport

• Thanks 1

Why work in a front office when you can own a team. When I heard the thoughts of the Mannings going in an ownership group that really made sense. His wife is in an ownership group of the Grizzlies. He would be a popular figure head for an investment group. If working as an analyst would help him grow his brand and money etc then he might do it...but I think that is what he is holding out on. Tough thing is it doesn’t mean a team will ever come available to buy though. I think that is something he would be interested in though.

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Why work in a front office when you can own a team. When I heard the thoughts of the Mannings going in an ownership group that really made sense. His wife is in an ownership group of the Grizzlies. He would be a popular figure head for an investment group. If working as an analyst would help him grow his brand and money etc then he might do it...but I think that is what he is holding out on. Tough thing is it doesn’t mean a team will ever come available to buy though. I think that is something he would be interested in though.

The Panthers are for sale. 

On February 18, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Gramz said:

Today..... he's driving the Pace Car at Daytona  :)

I saw Peyton on TV too Gramz. He looked just a tad nervous, but I would be too maneuvering corners driving close to 200 MPH. I thought he looked great in his dark shades as well behind the wheel. 

• Like 1

On February 18, 2018 at 12:21 AM, jvan1973 said:

If romo can pull it off,   I'm sure Peyton would be fine.    Its  nothing like trying to play another sport

I must confess my Dallas hatred loved that opening line Jvan. Translation: If Tony can do this, how hard can broadcasting really be? :lol:

You made my night Jvan. Thank you. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:50 PM, dgambill said:

Titans have ownership issues

So do the Saints, Browns, Panthers and Broncos (and he won't have to move if he ended up there)

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, -JJ- said:

I'd like to see him an analyst . Would be very interesting to say the least.

It would be hard for him....He doesn't impress me as someone who wants to be a critic

Remember when the Giants benched his brother.? I dont think Peyton made any public comment at all, did he?

He wouldnt have that option if he was under contract to talk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, oldunclemark said:

It would be hard for him....He doesn't impress me as someone who wants to be a critic

Remember when the Giants benched his brother.? I dont think Peyton made any public comment at all, did he?

He wouldnt have that option if he was under contract to talk

I agree with you.

It would just be interesting to see him breakdown a defense now.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

He should be our radio guy for the Colts along side Lamey. That would be the perfect job for him. He's not a play by play guy but as a guy who can chime in on things he would be great at that IMO. It just seems like something he would enjoy too and he was a huge part of the Colts. That would be a fun listen, I love Lamey anyway.

8 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I can't picture Manning taking any job where he could possibly be fired.

No such job exists.  :thmup:

But I can't imagine Manning ever being fired from a job, or owning a business and running it into the ground, or messing up an endorsement deal, etc.

I'd wish him the best of luck, but he don't need it!  haha

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No such job exists.  :thmup:

But I can't imagine Manning ever being fired from a job, or owning a business and running it into the ground, or messing up an endorsement deal, etc.

I'd wish him the best of luck, but he don't need it!  haha

Well he was fired from the Colts.

But if he owned a team(even partially) he wouldn't be fired he could be his own boss etc is what I meant. 

"Well he was fired from the Colts". Actually that isn't true. Irsay paid him 26 Million dollars in 2011 and Peyton didn't even play a down to earn that. Had Irsay put him on IR, Peyton wouldn't of got paid 26 Mill did you even realize that. He kept him active so he would get paid! Many people probably don't even know that. Yeah Irsay is a horrible guy for paying someone 26 Mill who didn't even play?? So are you saying we should've re-signed Peyton with the uncertainties of his neck injury at the time and pass on Luck? Even had we done that, with the Defense we had, Peyton couldn't of won us another SB. Our O.Line was Bad too. We had to let him walk to try and rebuild because of the Salary Cap. We needed that money to add players. Denver had a Great Defense and a Great O.Line so we did Peyton a favor.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Well he was fired from the Colts". Actually that isn't true. Irsay paid him 26 Million dollars in 2011 and Peyton didn't even play a down to earn that. Had Irsay put him on IR, Peyton wouldn't of got paid 26 Mill did you even realize that. He kept him active so he would get paid! Many people probably don't even know that. Yeah Irsay is a horrible guy for paying someone 26 Mill who didn't even play?? So are you saying we should've re-signed Peyton with the uncertainties of his neck injury at the time and pass on Luck? Even had we done that, with the Defense we had, Peyton couldn't of won us another SB. Our O.Line was Bad too. We had to let him walk to try and rebuild because of the Salary Cap. We needed that money to add players. Denver had a Great Defense and a Great O.Line so we did Peyton a favor.

According to the collective agreement the player does get paid his full guarantee no matter.

He also gets paid his full salary if it's stipulated in his contract it's guaranteed against injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

According to the collective agreement the player does get paid his full guarantee no matter.

He also gets paid his full salary if it's stipulated in his contract it's guaranteed against injury.

Back then if a player got put on IR or got cut unless it was guaranteed he didn't get paid his full salary. I am just going by what the Indy media was saying back then so JUMP ON THEM - :sarcasm:. The local news sports guys even said Irsay kept him active so he would get his full pay. I don't feel like digging up old video's and links to prove what I am saying. Getting to old for all of this argumentative stuff :thmup:, Go Cubs. I am going to bed my friend.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But he got cut from the Colts is my point when a player is cut = fired.

He didn't choose to retire or leave as an FA(or even demand a trade). The Colts let him go. Like they did with so many other players before him and well after.

This isn't about whether he should've been cut or not.

Manning isn't going to put himself in a position where he doesn't decide when he can leave or not. If he took a broadcasting job he wouldn't have that choice compared to ownership.

32 minutes ago, CF4L said:

He didn't choose to retire or leave as an FA(or even demand a trade). The Colts let him go. Like they did with so many other players before him and well after.

Manning isn't going to put himself in a position where he doesn't decide when he can leave or not. If he took a broadcasting job he wouldn't have that choice compared to ownership.

The thing that was a little different with Peyton was it was a mutual agreement between the Colts and him. That is very unusual.

I don't think if Peyton took a broadcasters job getting fired would not be a reason not to take the job. That has zero to do with his legend as a player.

Besides, why should he even take a job in the first place? He don't need the money that is for sure. He don't need the prestige, he already has that. As much time he spent as a NFL player and the extra work he did while he was a player with all the extra hours spent over and above what normal players does has made him the legend he is.

Nothing away from football is going to effect that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing that was a little different with Peyton was it was a mutual agreement between the Colts and him. That is very unusual.

I don't think if Peyton took a broadcasters job getting fired would not be a reason not to take the job. That has zero to do with his legend as a player.

Besides, why should he even take a job in the first place? He don't need the money that is for sure. He don't need the prestige, he already has that. As much time he spent as a NFL player and the extra work he did while he was a player with all the extra hours spent over and above what normal players does has made him the legend he is.

Nothing away from football is not going to effect that.

Great Post. I almost Posted last night that it was mutual.

19 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I do get it, losing Peyton hurt. The guy is my favorite player of all-time but I don't think we did him dirty, JMO