Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck/newton Combine #s

likm

It feels sacreligious to say this, but I'm ready to just release Peyton and start Luck day one.

I know the proverbial dead horse has taken a pretty good beating here of late, but I've always been of the 'keep Manning/trade the pick' camp. It would not be fair to either man to have them both on the same roster. I would be prepared right now, to bet my soul, lifesavings, and nonexistent farm, that Luck is the future face of the NFL. Sitting behind Peyton for 4 years will be a complete waste. You can only learn so much from watching game film and learning the playbook. Peyton's said it himself, the best way for a QB to develop is by playing, not by sitting behind a veteran. Draft Luck, cut our losses in an uncertain Manning, bring in a solid free agent or two with the saved money, and throw Luck into the fire. If Andy Dalton can take the Bengals to the playoffs, I have the utmost faith in Luck accomplishing the same thing in his first year.

With Luck's athleticism, arm, and just plain intangibles, I don't see any reason to keep Peyton, especially with this being the year that makes the most sense in getting rid of him.

What about the other tests. I hear he jumped as far and as high as Cam.

I saw three of them on FOX 59. The 40 time which has been talked about and frankly both guys numbers are impressive

Luck out did RG3 on the long jump and RG3 out did him on vertical leap but it was close.

This tells me that RG3 is the better athlete but Luck is no slouch in that department himself. I heard someone say try picturing Eli Manning with Peyton's talent and that's what you get with Luck only he's probably a little bit better athlete than Eli.

All and all these numbers don't mean much for a QB. They tell you they are athletic which we already knew about RG3 and for those who really studied Luck you knew he was as well but I think it opened some other eyes to just how good of an athlete Luck is.

All and all these numbers don't mean much for a QB. They tell you they are athletic which we already knew about RG3 and for those who really studied Luck you knew he was as well but I think it opened some other eyes to just how good of an athlete Luck is.

Why are you hating?! JEEZUS.

(sarcasm)

I saw three of them on FOX 59. The 40 time which has been talked about and frankly both guys numbers are impressive

Luck out did RG3 on the long jump and RG3 out did him on vertical leap but it was close.

This tells me that RG3 is the better athlete but Luck is no slouch in that department himself. I heard someone say try picturing Eli Manning with Peyton's talent and that's what you get with Luck only he's probably a little bit better athlete than Eli.

Yes, Luck out performed RG3 on the elusiveness tests at the Combine (3 cone and 20 yd shuttle).

I always knew Luck was atheltic. I also knew that he never had to show it very often, given how good a passer he was.

Yes, Luck out performed RG3 on the elusiveness tests at the Combine (3 cone and 20 yd shuttle).

I always knew Luck was atheltic. I also knew that he never had to show it very often, given how good a passer he was.

Smartest thing I've read on this forum all day. Pay attention people. This is how you read between the lines.

The more I see of him in this department the more it reminds me of John Elway and I am understanding more and more and why the people who know this stuff say he's the best prospect to come along since Elway. As much as I love Peyton the knock on him is that he was just not athletic. Luck has that and frankly if he's as good as Elway was we are going to have another stud QB.

http://bleacherrepor...ut-of-no-1-spot

40 yd dash official times: RG3 = 4.41 Luck = 4.67

Vertical leap: RG3 = 39" Luck = 36"

Broad Jump : RG3 = 10'0" Luck = 10'4"

Elusiveness tests:

3 Cone drill: RG3 placed out of the top 10. Luck placed in the top 5

20 yd shuttle" RG3 placed out of the top 10. Luck placed in the top 5.

RG3's broad jump was kind of weird, he seemed to use it more as a high jump. On the other hand, congrats to Luck for the great jump.

Chris,

This is a message to you and all others who are oblivious to what is going on and what is about to happen. The Colts will draft Andrew Luck and not RG3.............also Manning will not take another snap as a Colt.

None of you would make it a day on a job with me. Wake Up!!

No wait, i didnt say to draft him I said that he has created a bigger following (in essense that's what i am thinking anyway).

I want the Colts to take Luck no matter what, hands down. RGIII could be a great player too and I wouldn't want to face him on defense but in no way shape or form do you take a VIck or Newton type player with this particular personnel set. It begs for a pocket passer with great accuracy (which is hard to come by).

The Luck worshipping has been going on for a full year and is kind of boring, so the RG3 stuff is newer and more exciting. Plus, everyone knows the Colts are taking Luck, so that's boring. But, any number of teams could try to move up to get RG3 and that's more exciting too (not from a Colts' fan perspective, but just from a general NFL fan's perspective)

I can't think of a more irrelevant stat when rating QB's than a 40 time. Well, unless your team is going to go the Tebow route.

Both QB's that are likely to be taken at the top of this draft are rated on a big board of every team. I would be surprised if any team actually changed their minds based on combine numbers. They have every inch of film available on both young men and it is those game films that provide the info they seek.

See, QB's get the luxury of having the camera on them on every play. Other players, especially defenders, have limited film other than full field view on them and their combine numbers can make a difference. I know it makes for interesting conversation, but what would really be telling, is to have them throw at the combine behind a crappy line. :popcorn:

I can't think of a more irrelevant stat when rating QB's than a 40 time. Well, unless your team is going to go the Tebow route.

Both QB's that are likely to be taken at the top of this draft are rated on a big board of every team. I would be surprised if any team actually changed their minds based on combine numbers. They have every inch of film available on both young men and it is those game films that provide the info they seek.

See, QB's get the luxury of having the camera on them on every play. Other players, especially defenders, have limited film other than full field view on them and their combine numbers can make a difference. I know it makes for interesting conversation, but what would really be telling, is to have them throw at the combine behind a crappy line. :popcorn:

Standing long jump? When was the last time you saw a player come to a complete stop and then jump as far as he can? At least the 40 time tells you if a guy can run or not. With that said I'd agree with you it really doesn't matter much unless you are looking at a WR or Corner or something.

Standing long jump? When was the last time you saw a player come to a complete stop and then jump as far as he can? At least the 40 time tells you if a guy can run or not. With that said I'd agree with you it really doesn't matter much unless you are looking at a WR or Corner or something.

The jumps are a good measure to see how explosive the player is. The jumps are all from 0-full speed in a split second, just like cuts and really any change of direction movements. Its one of the better tests to see the athleticism in the player.

The jumps are a good measure to see how explosive the player is. The jumps are all from 0-full speed in a split second, just like cuts and really any change of direction movements. Its one of the better tests to see the athleticism in the player.

It also can show to some extent lower body strength, which is good for a QB to have. Helps with throwing and avoiding sacks.

I was surprised that RG3 was as tall as he measured, just under 6' 2" I believe.

alot of people underrated Luck, and the combine proved how athletic he was. only if he would have passed the ball. do gotta say though Cousins and Foles looked good also. if colts dont bring manning back on a lesser deal and let him walk i think the colts should draft one of those two also as a back up. it cant hurt. Cousins will be tough to draft because he will be a second pick, but foles the colts could prob get in the 4th round. and with the possible chance of the chiefs having to give up a draft pick for tampering when crcnnel opened his mouth about manning during the combine could make it easy to draft a back up QB in the draft.

http://bleacherrepor...ut-of-no-1-spot

40 yd dash official times: RG3 = 4.41 Luck = 4.67

Vertical leap: RG3 = 39" Luck = 36"

Broad Jump : RG3 = 10'0" Luck = 10'4"

Elusiveness tests:

3 Cone drill: RG3 placed out of the top 10. Luck placed in the top 5

20 yd shuttle" RG3 placed out of the top 10. Luck placed in the top 5.

tests aren't always accurate because if they did those drills 10 times, we could get 10 different combinations.

That being said I was surprised Lucks numbers make him look slightly more agile.

tests aren't always accurate because if they did those drills 10 times, we could get 10 different combinations.

That being said I was surprised Lucks numbers make him look slightly more agile.

I am not surprised by Luck's numbers. He has shown elusiveness in his game.

I think Colts fans think Luck is like PM. Luck is a strong passer like PM, but has much more mobility.

If you absolutely do not care about how athletic the player is, then 40 times don't matter. But if you want to be able to quantify how athletic he is, at least to a degree, then 40 times (and the other tests) have their place. None of them make one player better than the other, but it's useful information to have.

I am not surprised by Luck's numbers. He has shown elusiveness in his game.

I think Colts fans think Luck is like PM. Luck is a strong passer like PM, but has much more mobility.

You've probably seen more Stanford games then me but I wasn't as much surprised by Lucks measurables but more surprised Griffin didn't do much better than Luck. I mean they are practically the same on those drills. The only thing I saw RG3 do much better was his acceleration. if you watched where they combined Luck, Newton, and RG3 on the same screen, Griffin really exploded off the line.

They should add some strength test too, I heard Lucks teammates say he's a beast in the weight room.

Am I hearing this right? Luck put up comparable numbers in the combine as Cam Newton in the 40 yard dash, broad jump and vertical leap.

Can someone post a link to these numbers?

Yes, its true - Luck did very well.

As far as RG3 - faster than lightening (LOL) is only good for a few things, and IMO its not the type of QB we need here in Indy!

Chris,

This is a message to you and all others who are oblivious to what is going on and what is about to happen. The Colts will draft Andrew Luck and not RG3.............also Manning will not take another snap as a Colt.

What in god's name does what QB the Colts will draft have anything to do with working with you? Who cares about making it a day on the job with you? To be fair though you're probably right...I wouldn't last a day on the job with you. If you're the kind of person who would make the post that you did then most likely I'd figure out in about 10 minutes that I'd be much better off finding a job elsewhere. ;)

What in god's name does what QB the Colts will draft have anything to do with working with you? Who cares about making it a day on the job with you? To be fair though you're probably right...I wouldn't last a day on the job with you. If you're the kind of person who would make the post that you did then most likely I'd figure out in about 10 minutes that I'd be much better off finding a job elsewhere. ;)

What he was saying is that if anyone disagrees with him than they must be stupid. Hence, he does not want to work with stupid people. Apparently you'd get fired from Burger King real fast for being stupid.

I don't think, as a QB, you would have many chances to demonstrate your standing long jump prowess on the field.

However, as a measure of leg strength, especially if you have defenders wrapped around them, as you attempt to throw the pass, it is a useful comparative measure.

Chris,

The 2nd (Manning coming back) part is uncertain. Most people know the first part is pretty much a given though. But nothing wrong with a few people hoping for RG3. He'll be a good player too.

I don't think, as a QB, you would have many chances to demonstrate your standing long jump prowess on the field.

However, as a measure of leg strength, especially if you have defenders wrapped around them, as you attempt to throw the pass, it is a useful comparative measure.

Many of these drills do not relate to NFL type movements. What they are designed to do is to provide some type of quantifyable data so that when comparing propsects to one another, you can make an apples-sto-apples comparison. It's just an additional set of data that you can use as a scout, along with game film and the practice sessions at the combine.

I would like to see QB's do drills without any real defenders and pretend that they're avoiding rushing defenders while making a throw. Basically, I would like for someone to look like Napolean Dynamite's uncle at the combine.