Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chester Rogers

Shadow_Creek

i know this season he didn't get the ball a lot due to Brissett being outta sync with him which was understandable and yet when he did have the ball he was an amazing game changer. However i wonder with the uncertainty of Moncrief this off-season, Should Rogers be our number 2 WR or should we Look for one this draft?

Don't get me wrong, I like Rogers and think he has a place in the team, but I think we need to looking at better for WR2.

Ballard seems to be very keen on big-bodied receivers (hence the swing-and-miss attempt with bringing in Aiken) and so I see us getting someone in that mould, potentially in free agency. 

This is also why I think we might bring back Moncrief because he is that big body type and Ballard may be hoping a new coaching crew can find the way to get Moncrief to be more consistent.  He is only 24 and so, if we can turn him in the right direction, could be a big player for us.  Based on his performances, it shouldn't be crazy money to pick up his contract either.

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Rogers and think he has a place in the team, but I think we need to looking at better for WR2.

Ballard seems to be very keen on big-bodied receivers (hence the swing-and-miss attempt with bringing in Aiken) and so I see us getting someone in that mould, potentially in free agency. 

This is also why I think we might bring back Moncrief because he is that big body type and Ballard may be hoping a new coaching crew can find the way to get Moncrief to be more consistent.  He is only 24 and so, if we can turn him in the right direction, could be a big player for us.  Based on his performances, it shouldn't be crazy money to pick up his contract either.

I think he wants a change of scenery...and the Colts are going to overhaul the WR position this offseason. I don't think Moncrief is coming back...under any scenario.

I'd like to see Rogers back next year, but as our 3rd or 4th best WR.

i'd like to see Ballard bring in a #2 WR that isnt star-struck with TY (like moncrief).  I want a guy who will push TY for the top spot.

unless hes cheap, i think moncrief is gone.  aiken wasnt an answer either. We need a solid #2 via FA or draft imo.

9 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

He's a good WR3/4 when targeted. We need another play maker.

if somehow Pittsburgh released Bryant he could be a great addition. That being said i feel Rogers wasn't given a fair chance at being number 2 so how do we know if hes truly WR 3 material? 

Moncrief wasn't targeted much for some reason, especially when they were in the redzone.  Chester is a good WR3, he seems to be open a lot.  Probably because they're concentrating on TY and Doyle.

The other problem was that JB rarely had time to go through his progressions, and his decision making is still a work in progress. 

These guys all will look better once 12 gets back in the lineup.

Rogers looks like he still has upside in learning how to play fast while running good routes.
And i think his hands are pretty good. Let's hope we get a great O co-coordinator and position coach.
 We need 3-4 quality guys, and Rogers has a shot at being a really good contributor.

Rogers would kill it in McDaniels’ offense.  I think people would be shocked because I can easily see him becoming our Edelman or Welker...  He has the quicks & fearlessness needed to work in tight spaces and fight for those extra yards (even more so than TY).  And I’m not knocking TY because I think he could play the Cooks role in McD’s offense.  So both would shine.

I like Rogers and want him on the team catching passes....   he's good and will still get better.   Maybe much better...

That said....   I think our WR needs will be addressed in FA.   Rookie WRs often take a year or two to figure it out.   We need WRs who can step on the field and deliver.   We will find those guys in free agency...

He might get better in the future but he is currently unproven IMO, currently our only receivers are TY and Rogers as i dont think Moncreif is worth bringing back, that makes WR a very weak group on our team and absolutely needs to be addressed in the Draft or FA.

I like Rogers, but we really need to reload at WR.  I wouldn’t want Moncrief or Aiken around next year, which mainly leaves us with Hilton and Rogers, who is probably best in the slot.  I currently have a low-level FA and 2nd and 5th round WRs mocked to us...

1) I love Rogers. I think he has some major potential. He's shown it on the field, and next year he'll have Luck throwing to him and 2 years of experience. At the very worst he's a great 4th WR. At best he turns into a stud number 2 caliber.

2) I'm always upset with Crief. He plays soft, and he don't ever seem to give it 100%. I expected MUCH more by now. But With Moncrief I'm still scared to let him go. Here's why. He's still very young, and as we know it takes some players 3-4-5 years to put it all together. He hasn't played with a healthy 12, or been 100% healthy himself since his 2nd season when it looked like he was breaking out. (733 yrds, 6 TD's) He's shown what he's capable of when he goes all out and has 12 throwing to him. He wont get anything more than a 1 year deal from any other team, and that would probably be to come in and compete for the 3rd WR spot, and lol. The final reason I'm scared to let him go is basically what I've said. The fear he'll breakout somewhere else and we'll have a major regret. I mean the kid does have as much POTENTIAL as any FA WR available. Its just who knows if he'll breakout and realize his potential or continue to be mediocre.

Final thoughts. We have to bring in a stud to pair with TY. Robinson, Landry, Gordon or Bryant maybe ? We gotta sign one of the big time guys. Then if Moncrief accepts our offer. Bring him back on a cheap 1 year deal and let him and Rogers fight it out for the 3rd spot. Draft a WR in the 4th-5th. If we don't bring him back I'm hoping we bring in 2 guys. Maybe 1 FA, and a 3rd-4th RD pick to let battle it out with Rogers ? 2 FA signings ? Personally I'd rather go the FA route, then draft a WR in the 4-5 range and not in the 3rd. So sign Allen Robinson. Then a guy like Paul Richardson would be ideal. But there's a lot of really good options, and will be more after some guys get released. So my preference is Robinson and Richardson if we let Moncrief go. I want Robinson bad. He would be a top 10 WR with Luck IMO. But say we land Robinson, if Richardson is too costly to spend on a number 3 WR I Wouldn't mind Ryan Grant or Jordan Mathews. But Hilton paired with Robinson would be an unstoppable duo with Luck throwing to them.

I'm actually in disagreement with most of the posts.  I think he's really young and has shown the signs of actually becoming the #1.  I saw him have a drop in one of the last few games, but it was in a downpour and pretty much every receiver had at least 1 drop.  I don't think he's the tallest or fastest WR available in the NFL, but from what I've seen and heard, he has really great savvy and awareness in his route running.  He often get's wide open, and often in key situations.  At the end of the day, the WRs that tend to become solid 1s in this league are because of that... Guys like AB and Thielen are good examples.  If Thielen can do this well with a hosh-posh of QBs, Rogers should be able to really flourish with Luck.  And if you compare his combine numbers to a guy like AB, he beats him across the board.  The other thing is... the staff loves him.  

I think the Colts will take with the #3 pick... Saquon Barkley (if he's even available), or OL.  They'll probably draft a WR or 2 in the draft or try to land one in FA, but I think that will be for the #3 WR position.  There are some good FA WRs available, but I don't think any of them will want to be signing any contracts that are any less than a 2 (such as Jaron Brown from AZ or Brice Butler from Dallas, or Jordan Matthews, or Jarvis Landry).