Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano -Colts Plan To Keep "game-Wreckers" Freeney And Mathis,, Transition To 3/4, Certain Positions Will Get Bigger Players, Wants Saturday To Return

bayone

From Pagano:

• Called Freeney and Mathis "game-wreckers"
  • The Colts will transition to a 3-4 defensive scheme
  • The Colts system of smaller players has worked in the past, but team will get bigger at specific need positions
  • The transition will be hard, but not impossible
  • Colts system will work well with players the Colts will bring to camp
  • Pagano has spoken to Jeff Saturday, who is pondering retirement. Pagano wants him to stay
  • Pagano had high praise for Andrew Luck
  • When asked about Peyton Manning, Pagano said Manning will do everything to play again

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/2/23/2819864/pagano-colts-plan-to-...

Seems weird. I can see Mathis , well no I cant. These two are prototype tampa 2 defensive ends, man. 3-4 is a big boy defense, all around.

You're talking about overhauling the entire defensive personell I think. You need man coverage corners, we aint got em, big strong linebackers, welll, huge DT's, and yes DE's become defensive tackles in 3-4, aint got em..

I dunno, I just fell in love with the tampa2 here in Indy, maybe when the turf was faster it mattered more, but it was hilarious watching our defensive get pounded all game then at the end sack the qb 700 times and win by a landslide.

best of luck to new DC.

Again ain't trying to ruffle feathers, I would be curious if anyone has found any league talk on Indy's switch to 3-4? I'm sure there's some scout or coordinator out there super ticked about it, just because of this team's identity as fasted defense who might have ever lived, making chicken crap into chicken soup, etc. really a fascinating situation that made us stand out the way we ran cover 2 and kicked everyone's butt.

From Pagano:

• The Colts system of smaller players has worked in the past, but team will get bigger at specific need positions
  • Pagano has spoken to Jeff Saturday, who is pondering retirement. Pagano wants him to stay
  • When asked about Peyton Manning, Pagano said Manning will do everything to play again

Some good news. I was concerned with Free & Mathis but if Pagano wants them, great! And transitioning is not impossible. If we can land some good talent in the draft and FA, we could see an instant upgrade.

Seems weird. I can see Mathis , well no I cant. These two are prototype tampa 2 defensive ends, man. 3-4 is a big boy defense, all around.

You're talking about overhauling the entire defensive personell I think. You need man coverage corners, we aint got em, big strong linebackers, welll, huge DT's, and yes DE's become defensive tackles in 3-4, aint got em..

I dunno, I just fell in love with the tampa2 here in Indy, maybe when the turf was faster it mattered more, but it was hilarious watching our defensive get pounded all game then at the end sack the qb 700 times and win by a landslide.

best of luck to new DC.

Pagano also said that he plans to have an attack D. That you have to rush the passer. What better rushers to have then the one we have and the one i hope we resign

Foster was quoted as saying he is now at about 295lbs, Fili Moala is 303, Ricardo Matthews is 294, Jamal Anderson is 280. Drake Nevis is 294, Ogbu is 280, Brayton is 280. All these players can play the DE/DT role. Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Angerer, Connor, Freeman, Hickman, Harvey, Sims, and Wheeler are linebackers that can fit in a hybride defense. We need NTs other than Johnson who can be space eaters. Caldwell and Lefeged can improve at SS. Bethea is a Pro Bowl level FS. Powers is a solid CB if he can avoid injuries. The Colts are only a couple of players away on defense. The offense needs maybe a C and 2 Gs. Grigson has to sign as many players as he can under the salary cap and draft or trade for the rest.

Foster was quoted as saying he is now at about 295lbs, Fili Moala is 303, Ricardo Matthews is 294, Jamal Anderson is 280. Drake Nevis is 294, Ogbu is 280, Brayton is 280. All these players can play the DE/DT role. Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Angerer, Connor, Freeman, Hickman, Harvey, Sims, and Wheeler are linebackers that can fit in a hybride defense. We need NTs other than Johnson who can be space eaters. Caldwell and Lefeged can improve at SS. Bethea is a Pro Bowl level FS. Powers is a solid CB if he can avoid injuries. The Colts are only a couple of players away on defense. The offense needs maybe a C and 2 Gs. Grigson has to sign as many players as he can under the salary cap and draft or trade for the rest.

I expect some upgrades in the draft like a SS, CB, DT, maybe even a true 3-4 middle LB.

More proof they plan on keeping Peyton Manning, the only reason Saturday talked about retirement is if the hands on his butt were different.....

Wow, Really??? Finally we get a thread about something other than a Manning topic and you have to bring it up. BTW, this offers no proof what so ever. It could just be that Pagano wants an experienced center to help Luck in his transition.

With that off my chest, getting back onto the topic of the thread. Im not sure Freeney will transition well to a 3-4 but I think Mathis can switch to OLB and be effective. Im excited to see our new scheme even though it could take a while to get all the peices in place to be a strong defense.

You have to be joking if you think any of our DT's can handle a double team.

Of those I hope to see Moala, Brayton, Harvey & Sims let go. Not saying they aren't good players (Moala isn't) but IMO we don't need/have room for them. Hopefully Nevis and a couple of others can bulk up in order to try and fill a NT rotation during camp. I don't know though. And I sure hope we can find a fit for Jamal Anderson. That guy gave it 110% and came through.

From Pagano:

ANOTHER ARTICLE

Chuck Pagano has a different vision for the Indianapolis Colts

The Manning Colts were built on speed on both sides of the ball. Built to throw first, with precision and timing.

Pagano sees the future a little differently.

it's a big-man's game," Pagano said. "That doesn't discount having little fast guys. You've got to have a good mixture of them."

Asked what specifically that would mean to an offense that has been among the most pass-first affairs in the league, and Pagano said:

"You watch the Steelers play, haven't you? I've always said this and I learned this from my dad growing up, you've got to run the football and you've got to stop the run to be successful, at any level.

"We want to be explosive, we want to be physical, we want to be tough, we want to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball."

That means Pagano has plenty of work to do to both mold the roster that way as well as be the face of a franchise set to embark on historic change, moving on from one of its greatest players

It means when the Colts make their picks in April, power will be on the agenda, especially up front in the offensive line. Where the Colts have been relatively small up front, they will now have a far different profile — a team once again built around its quarterback, except this time the guy's name will be Andrew. ( assumed by author )

Read more:Chuck Pagano has a different vision for the Indianapolis Colts - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...s#ixzz1nJsRmM9V

More proof they plan on keeping Peyton Manning, the only reason Saturday talked about retirement is if the hands on his butt were different.....

Thats not proof at all

The Colts really do not have a definitive answer to the center position and Saturday will not command a lot. Bringing back Saturday will make one less hole the Colts need to worry about and it also keeps the chemistry of the offensive line. This line looked good at times and will be even better if they can get a full training camp in.

This is the key news here... //There is no reason for 37-year-old Saturday to return unless they expect Manning to return....

Its an objective reading of the signs..

...but I cant see Mathis being the OLB in a 3-4...maybe he can do it...

...but it seems to me like a drastic change for a guy in his 30s

Can Mathis & Freeney drop into pass coverage effectively?

Im not sure they will have to, there will probably be packages where different OLBs(Wheeler, Sims, Angerer, Conner, drafted rookies???) can fall back in coverage or blitz but when Frathis is in it will probably look more like a 5-2.

From Pagano:

I still really hope we get one of these DE/OLB pass rushers in this draft. This is a good class for them, and I REALLY like Chandler Jones and Vinny Curry. I still believe in trading aging veterans so I hope they at least consider trading Freeney or Mathis for draft picks.

I still really hope we get one of these DE/OLB pass rushers in this draft. This is a good class for them, and I REALLY like Chandler Jones and Vinny Curry. I still believe in trading aging veterans so I hope they at least consider trading Freeney or Mathis for draft picks.

Mathis would have to be under contract and Freeney's contract would make him to expensive to other teams.

Thats not proof at all

The Colts really do not have a definitive answer to the center position and Saturday will not command a lot. Bringing back Saturday will make one less hole the Colts need to worry about and it also keeps the chemistry of the offensive line. This line looked good at times and will be even better if they can get a full training camp in.

agree Sat wont cost much, bring back for at least a year and get a Center next year in draft, if bring back for 2 , the a draft pick can learn from him, unless we go free agency, Better guards are more important and a Center also relies on them to help with blocking so getting inside guard help will help Saturdays play

Can Mathis & Freeney drop into pass coverage effectively?

I doubt DFree would have to much...I can only assume that when they are in a 3-4, he would be used like Mario Williams and D. Ware, who rarely go back into coverage. I'm still not convinced that he will be on the team, and if he is for his current salary then it is a major mistake.

As for Mathis, I get the feeling he is a bit more versatile but I can't imagine coverage would be a strong suit. I do expect the Colts to sign him back.

It is going to be interesting to see what the defense looks like both personnel wise and schematically. If Pagano really wants to keep DFree and Mathis, I would have to think we will still see a lot of 4-3. The article Bmore posted is probably pretty spot on as to what the Colts will be running. Interestingly enough, Pagano wasn't the DC when that article was written and the comments were complaining that they were running too much 4-3...I really don't know what the % of 4-3/3-4 was last year under Pagano.

agree Sat wont cost much, bring back for at least a year and get a Center next year in draft, if bring back for 2 , the a draft pick can learn from him, unless we go free agency, Better guards are more important and a Center also relies on them to help with blocking so getting inside guard help will help Saturdays play

But there's no need for a 37-year-old $5 mil center on a rebuilding team with a rookie QB..

unless we arent going to start a rookie QB.....and we arent going to be rebuiding yet.

Its a sign.

Im not sure they will have to, there will probably be packages where different OLBs(Wheeler, Sims, Angerer, Conner, drafted rookies???) can fall back in coverage or blitz but when Frathis is in it will probably look more like a 5-2.

In a 3-4..what is the OLB's pass coverage responsibilities...and dont both OLBs have different responsibilities..

Mathis is just 245 pounds and obviously he can run..

Is it possible the the OTHER OLB would have the pass coverage duties.. and Mathis would simply be a 'rover' or blitzer

...IS that the position Mario Williams plays for Houston...>?

But there's no need for a 37-year-old $5 mil center on a rebuilding team with a rookie QB..

unless we arent going to start a rookie QB.....and we arent going to be rebuiding yet.

Its a sign.

just feel there are other positions of more need if he signs for right price short term and he was a OL highlight last year, steady & a veteran leader, just my opinion, not an absolute and may be wrong,

I hope it is a sign Peyton Will Be Back , I wasnt saying yes or no to that at all

No it's two gap for the three down linemen, but it allows an OLB to slide to resemble a DE. That's what Baltimore runs...

Either way, we need at least two defensive linemen to fill roles that no one on our roster can fill right now. Maybe Brayton and Anderson can fit in a 2-gap as five-techs, but we'd still need a good nose tackle, which I don't think Mookie can do. If we go 1-gap (my personal preference), I think we'd be closer, but it would still be nice to have at least one disruptive five-tech. Anderson has the tools, but has never performed at a high level (which is why we were able to get him for cheap last year). I don't know...

Rome wasn't built in a day.

If Pagano doesn't like his next option at center, and doesn't think they'll be able to address it this offseason, it makes perfect sense to want Saturday back.