Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts won today and cost themselves the 2nd pick!!!

csmopar

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Of course you wouldn't tell a team they have to lose. But you can HOPE they'll lose. That is not unethical. And that is what we are talking about here. Had the Colts won an extra meaningless game in 2012 and missed out on the No. 1 pick, then we might not have gotten Luck. 

We went 11-5 in 2012.....    no where near the number 1 pick. 

Now 2011..... that's a different story

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

whats your point?  if we trade back then we are still drafting prospects,  riskier ones at that 

Isnt that obvious? You can't miss on Von Miller, the pro. But you can miss on the top prospect, and still come up on top.

Pretty excited about the coming draft, and 2018 - regardless.  The Colts will likely pick a great edge rusher or a great running back...or trade back for extra picks. Andrew Luck should be back, all the other injured guys will be back. There will also be a new - motivated coaching staff.  Can an old man say "stoked?"

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i take it you dont like the guys at the top this year?  i think they are fine and would rather stay put unless we get a huge trade 

I like them but I don't see much difference amongst the top 10 prospects.

As it stands now, there are 4 teams in the top 10, who will likely pick a QB (Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets). All these teams have virtually no other option than do so. The Colts have the 1/3, so practically, they can select the top non QB prospect of the upcoming draft. A possible trade partner for the Colts is either Denver or the Jets, if one of the two will want to get ahead of the other (or fear that the other will trade up ahead of them). In this case, the Colts will move down a few spot, get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, and STILL pick one of the two best non QB prospects. A less probably, but not impossible scenario is, if the Dolphins or the Cardinals decide to move up because they see their future franchise QB. In this case, the Colts would move down to 1/12, get an extra 1 rounder and some, and STILL pick one of the top 6-7 prospects of the draft. I see no other potential trading partners there.

No question I would choose the 3rd scenario, but it's the least probable. I think this is a year, when - even if they preferred to move down - the Colts will be forced to pick someone with their 1/3 pick.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:59 PM, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Ugh... please don’t remind us.... how can you say you’d rather have a meaningless W.  That second overall pick is very valuable this year because of the number of qbs that will go in the first round and the amount of teams in the top 10 that need a QB.

Chubb, Barkley, and trading back are all still in play, it's not as if we dropped out of the top 10.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Chubb, Barkley, and trading back are all still in play, it's not as if we dropped out of the top 10.

I want nothing to do with Barkley... he’s good but we do not have a line to beat utilize him... our package trading back from 2 would have been much greater than it will be from 3.  In the case of 2 they would have to jump the giants and we probably could have netted a total of 3 firsts and maybe a second. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I want nothing to do with Barkley... he’s good but we do not have a line to beat utilize him... our package trading back from 2 would have been much greater than it will be from 3.  In the case of 2 they would have to jump the giants and we probably could have netted a total of 3 firsts and maybe a second. 

There's plenty of time and salary cap dollars to shore up the OL between now and September, so if we take Barkley, I think we'll be able to use him. I'd lean towards drafting Chubb, but I wouldn't be unhappy with either player. And honestly, unless a team offers an insane deal for our pick, I hope we don't trade back, so for me, the difference between 2 and 3 is virtually non-existent.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

There's plenty of time and salary cap dollars to shore up the OL between now and September, so if we take Barkley, I think we'll be able to use him. I'd lean towards drafting Chubb, but I wouldn't be unhappy with either player. And honestly, unless a team offers an insane deal for our pick, I hope we don't trade back, so for me, the difference between 2 and 3 is virtually non-existent.

The oline FA class is terrible... it will need to be fixed through the draft this year unfortunately. 

On 12/31/2017 at 4:58 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hey why don't we all blame the Giants for winning haha Had they lost it wouldn't of mattered anyway what we did.

Yea but if we lost you know we would have received a haul from the Jets who would want to steal a QB from the Giants. They would be stupid to not pick one of them.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I just reaaaallly think the Jets would have given up a lot to steal the QB from the Giants if we got that second pick. I’m all for Chubb, Barkley, or trading back as well.

On 12/31/2017 at 5:23 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Publically yeah, but once he hires an agent and his "camp" gets in his head, anything can happen. A lot of times this kinda thing happens behind the scenes, just like Trent Dilfer telling the Colts privately that he would not play for them (which Mel Kiper then roasted the Colts for not taking him). Althoughit may be a tad harder to do in todays media age.

On 12/31/2017 at 6:06 PM, BOTT said:

I don't know about that

That's not the story as I understand it.  Colts/Tobin had #2 and #7 pick.  Tobin tool Marshall Faulk at #2, but traded up to #5.  He selected Trev Alberts (which did not turn out very well at all).  Bucs took Dilfer at #6.  So if Tobin passed on Dilfer, was it because Trent told Colts not to draft him?  I don't think so, (even if it happened) because Tobin had his sights on Willie McGinnest (who the Pats took at #4).  Alberts was his fallback guy.  Dilfer wasn't really on the radar.

Then came the famous Kiper/Tobin rants...

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's not the story as I understand it.  Colts/Tobin had #2 and #7 pick.  Tobin tool Marshall Faulk at #2, but traded up to #5.  He selected Trev Alberts (which did not turn out very well at all).  Bucs took Dilfer at #6.  So if Tobin passed on Dilfer, was it because Trent told Colts not to draft him?  I don't think so, (even if it happened) because Tobin had his sights on Willie McGinnest (who the Pats took at #4).  Alberts was his fallback guy.  Dilfer wasn't really on the radar.

Then came the famous Kiper/Tobin rants...

Trent admitted to telling the Colts that he wouldnt play for them. Whether thats the reason Tobin passed, I have no idea. They may not have liked him anyways, and for good reason.

11 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Trent admitted to telling the Colts that he wouldnt play for them. Whether thats the reason Tobin passed, I have no idea. They may not have liked him anyways, and for good reason.

That, and Tobin did sign Jim Harbaugh before the draft to QB the Colts. (1994-1997)

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Correction you may have been begging a large majority of our fans took this season for what it was a lost season.  I’ll take one bad season to reload talent wise.  If that means tanking then tank. 

Tanking is for losers with a losers mentality. No thanks. The difference between pick 2 and 3 is minimal.

There are 3 or 4 QBs who are considered top talent for the NFL so holding the 3rd pick is just fine. Either trade down or pick the best player.

It's over so why even cry over it now?

I'm surprised at the amount of people here claiming that the 3rd pick is just as valuable as the 2nd pick.   Not sure what you are smoking, but it must be good stuff.  

I was bummed that the Colts won that game and lost the 2nd pick.   I don't "blame" anyone.  They should not have tried to lose.   Teams just don't do that in the NFL.   The players are playing for their own money.   Just as a fan who is excited to see this team build itself up, I would  have preferred to see us get more value.