Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts?

SilentHill

When did Jim Irsay start being the one who hired the HC?  I wonder if personality or an approachable demeanor is key to him.  

I don't think a Bellichick type would be hired by him.  I think JI hires coaches that he can talk to on a personal level.  Dungy, caldwell, and Pagano, seem like they would be easy to speak to and personable.  I'm not saying they aren't strong in their convictions or anything just that they are easily approachable. 

I think Jim Irsay would have a tough time with a Bellichick, Ditka, Parcells type.  

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/18/2017 at 7:53 AM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

2014 Harbaugh, 2015 Tom Coughlin 2016 Lovie Smith, 2017 Jeff Fischer.  A Coach who has taken a team to a Super Bowl has been fired, and was therefore available, in each of the last four years.  It actually happens frequently, where winning veteran coaches get let go.   

Wasn't all that long ago that we were beating the table for Jim Caldwell to be fired, then it finally happened in 2011.

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2017 at 2:04 PM, RollerColt said:

Grrr... Brady Hoke. Curse that man... I was at Ball State for the 2008 season, where after going 12-0 he up and left us for San Diego State... Right before the bowl game. And that was probably our only shot of ever winning a bowl game. 

Brady Hoke made his way to the NFL, just hired by the Panthers.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:25 AM, Fluke_33 said:

When did Jim Irsay start being the one who hired the HC?  I wonder if personality or an approachable demeanor is key to him.  

I don't think a Bellichick type would be hired by him.  I think JI hires coaches that he can talk to on a personal level.  Dungy, caldwell, and Pagano, seem like they would be easy to speak to and personable.  I'm not saying they aren't strong in their convictions or anything just that they are easily approachable. 

I think Jim Irsay would have a tough time with a Bellichick, Ditka, Parcells type.  

Irsay is not the guy hiring the HC.   Chris Ballard is.  Irsay wants to meet the final candidate and sign off, but that's not the same as hiring the guy.

And that's the way it is with the vast majority of teams.

And in a recent interview, Bill Polian said Irsay does a good job in these interviews. That his presence is a good thing, not a bad thing.    What has Irsay done in the current process with McDanuels to have anyone unhappy with him?    What did I miss?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:25 PM, Fluke_33 said:

:thinking: .........................:sigh:

On October 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM, our_dbs_rock said:

I'll go ahead and get my 'Git R Done Bob' sign ready.

Hey, I was at Ball State around that time also!  It was nice to go from the team that Letterman talked about each with for their losing record or the only win each season was against the Indiana State Sycamores to a team that was competitive in the MAC.  I think before those years, the only time Ball State Football got mentioned on ESPN was when they ran the story about the student getting paralyzed when the mob tore down the goal post after a rare win.  But it did feel like getting stabbed in the back when the coach leaves their alma mater to make a lateral job move for money and sun.

I love that clip ODR! I miss Letterman man. "I am a fighting cardinal! I will win this one for Dave!" :lol:

I have an affinity for goofy fools like this. Probably cause I am one myself. Same reason I never miss Conan on TBS too. Paul would agree right? At any rate, thanks for the chuckle ODR. 

"Our long national nightmare has come to an end." I don't care who you are man. That is hilarious. 

Sorry for digging up this old thread, I just had to reply to RollerColt and their hatred of Brady Hoke.

45 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I love that clip ODR! I miss Letterman man. "I am a fighting cardinal! I will win this one for Dave!" :lol:

I have an affinity for goofy fools like this. Probably cause I am one myself. Same reason I never miss Conan on TBS too. Paul would agree right? At any rate, thanks for the chuckle ODR. 

"Our long national nightmare has come to an end." I don't care who you are man. That is hilarious. 

I always got a kick out of him campaigning to get the stadium named after himself.  The only thing better was him trying to get 465 renamed the "David Letterman Bypass" no long after he had heart issues,

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay is not the guy hiring the HC.   Chris Ballard is.  Irsay wants to meet the final candidate and sign off, but that's not the same as hiring the guy.

And that's the way it is with the vast majority of teams.

And in a recent interview, Bill Polian said Irsay does a good job in these interviews. That his presence is a good thing, not a bad thing.    What has Irsay done in the current process with McDanuels to have anyone unhappy with him?    What did I miss?

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

:thinking: .........................:sigh:

I wrote that 3 months ago.  Not sure your responses are timely or relevant anymore.   New information has been posted since then.   It appears the next head coach is going to be McDaniels from New England.   

Hahaha

1 hour ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Sorry for digging up this old thread, I just had to reply to RollerColt and their hatred of Brady Hoke.

I always got a kick out of him campaigning to get the stadium named after himself.  The only thing better was him trying to get 465 renamed the "David Letterman Bypass" no long after he had heart issues,

Cool Groot Guardians of the Galaxy profile picture BTW ODR.

Yeah, Dave was the best. Top 10 Lists, talking to his mom at Halloween & Thanksgiving, throwing watermelons off the roof, his banter with Paul; Stupid human tricks; & when he slammed Jay Leno on NBC & how Jay always needed a camera crew around to boost his own ego. 

I like Dave because he's not handsome, he's just a former weather man who always says what everyone is thinking but rarely has the courage to say. He's wicked smart too. Those wheels are always turning. The dude is just relatable & down to earth. 

My favorite rant of his was when he talked about Eli & the Giants beating NE in the SB in 2007. "After awhile you just wanted NE to get their  caboose kicked." His timing & tone were perfect. 

See, it's funny because Dave worked in the Big Apple & revered the Mannings. It was like his own kid defied the odds & won a ring. LOL! 

On October 27, 2017 at 5:35 PM, ipljeff said:

Bruce Arians

Speaking of Bruce Arians, I'm still surprised that he retired. If it was a health situation I understand, but for a man who thought he'd never get a head coaching opportunity until AZ said yes I just figured he'd be in the Southwest longer. 

Maybe his wife said "honey, I sacrificed for you for yrs. It's my turn dear to have you to myself & travel or play with our grandchildren."

9 hours ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Oh, I guess I wouldn't say that I hate the man. I can only hate people who commit crimes against humanity and animals. But I will say that I was very displeased and disappointed with how the end of the 2008 season turned out. Had he been coaching the team during the Mobile bowl game, I think the results would have been different. 

Oh well. It will be interesting to see how he does on the NFL level. 

On 10/26/2017 at 12:25 PM, Fluke_33 said:

I don't think he does make that decision and I agree that communication style would make a difference as it does with any hire.

He hired Ballard and odds are Ballard is going to choose someone that matches his own style.

The organization (Irsay) tendency to be loyal to its football staff and also listen to it's football staff draws good people here. That's what Dungy and Ballard say.  And that's likely why McDaniels chose INDY.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/31/insider-colts-owner-jim-irsay-big-draw-top-front-office-talent/1082215001/

I guess josh mcdaniels is ok with switching up communication styles. I guess you need to weight the importance of several factors

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I don't think he does make that decision and I agree that communication style would make a difference as it does with any hire.

He hired Ballard and odds are Ballard is going to choose someone that matches his own style.

The organization (Irsay) tendency to be loyal to its football staff and also listen to it's football staff draws good people here. That's what Dungy and Ballard say.  And that's likely why McDaniels chose INDY.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/31/insider-colts-owner-jim-irsay-big-draw-top-front-office-talent/1082215001/

I guess josh mcdaniels is ok with switching up communication styles. I guess you need to weight the importance of several factors

That’s a good and reassuring article.  When I wrote the above we didn’t know who the coach would be so I was trying to see similarities in previous hires.  I may also have been trying to rationalize my hope and desire that it wouldn’t be McDaniels or any patriot.  

Im still not happy about it but sure that will change.  I can’t think of any colts coach I haven’t supported or been sad to see go for that matter, including pagano.