Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We have to....:

Sign Demarcus Lawrence in the offseason. Then draft a couple edge rushers early. Imagine Lawrence and Harold Landry starting. Simon, Basham and a 4th rounder or so as the rotation. O yeah. Love my pass rush. We got Simon and Basham. Time to get a freak of nature to be the alpha dog. 

26 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Basham hasn't shown much so far.  He has like 1 tackle in 3 games.  Don't know how many snaps he's getting though.

He was getting pressure on a play yesterday And could have possibly gotten a sack but got tripped up and fell. I think it was a teammates fault actually. But no. He's not getting many snaps at all. I don't like that. I understand easing him in but he needs more snaps a game. Let him get that experience and learn a lot this season. Then he'll be ready to be an impact player next year. Should anyways but still. But look here man. I mean he's a very talented Kid. It's not like he's struggled. He graded really well week 2 I think ? He's got major potential. He could be a 10-12 sack guy for us by year 3. Maybe next season. But he was raw. Guess we have to remember that. Still think we should've grabbed Tyus Bowser in RD2 and one of the CB's RD3. Dietrich Wise in the 4th. If we had signed a corner in free agency we could have. Dont get why we didn't sign a corner at all. We could've at least brought in Amukamara and Morris Claiborne on 1 year deals. Lol. That'd be a solid D. 

Coulda moved down to around 20-25. Got an extra 3rd and say. Like a 2018 3rd. Then got TJ Watt, Tyus Bowser, Kareem Hunt, Jourdan Lewis, moved up 4-5 spots for Dietrich Wise, Marlon Mack, and Nate Hairston. Boo yah !!! That to go along with signing Claiborne, Prince, Simon, Hankins, Woods and Hunt too. No Sheard. But Hunt's played well. Very pleased and maybe he'll stick around and produce the next 3-4 years as a beastly rotational DE. Wed be stacked when 12, Vontae, and Kelly came back if wed made this happen. But again. I'm liking Ballard. He's just gotta bring in some superstars this coming offseason, another good draft, and we'll be a top 10 team 

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

He was getting pressure on a play yesterday And could have possibly gotten a sack but got tripped up and fell. I think it was a teammates fault actually. But no. He's not getting many snaps at all. I don't like that. I understand easing him in but he needs more snaps a game. Let him get that experience and learn a lot this season. Then he'll be ready to be an impact player next year. Should anyways but still. But look here man. I mean he's a very talented Kid. It's not like he's struggled. He graded really well week 2 I think ? He's got major potential. He could be a 10-12 sack guy for us by year 3. Maybe next season. But he was raw. Guess we have to remember that. Still think we should've grabbed Tyus Bowser in RD2 and one of the CB's RD3. Dietrich Wise in the 4th. If we had signed a corner in free agency we could have. Dont get why we didn't sign a corner at all. We could've at least brought in Amukamara and Morris Claiborne on 1 year deals. Lol. That'd be a solid D. 

Bowser was definitely the right pick. I think Basham can be a decent player, but Bowser could be great. And an impact pass rusher is more difficult to find (especially on a rookie deal) than a good CB. If Wilson can develop into a CB1...that would make me forget.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:24 PM, crazycolt1 said:

We have to.......... Be patient.

We are in the middle of a rebuild and things are not going to look good at times.

The reality is we are not a team that is going to make the playoffs and even if we do I highly doubt they will be good enough to advance.

Rebuilds make no sense when you have 1- a young franchise QB. 2-.....80-90 million in cap room this offseason. Signing 4-5 major impact players and hitting big on 3-4-5 draft picks and come out with 2 day 1 starters. That.  With what we have. We shouldn't be talking rebuild. We should be a top 5-10 team NEXT season. No reason we shouldn't with a healthy. 100% Andrew Luck. You do NOT rebuild with the two things we have my man. 

On 9/26/2017 at 8:45 AM, Coltsfan0112 said:

Shaq Barret from Denver is a RFA this year. Dude is a very good 3-4 OLB but gets over shadowed by Von and Ray. Barret most likely will not be signed because Shane Ray will be due for a contract soon. Barrett is also 24 years old, so he is still very young.

Hes playing better this year. But didn't have a sack last year. Did have some hit and hurries and played alright. I like him but as a 2nd fiddle rusher. Now If he put up 10 plus this year and shows he's breaking out I want him. Otherwise go with the best available. Not sure who apps on that list. Know you'd have Lawrence and a few others. Jerry Attachou should be a FA. I'm trying to remember who all was in that class. 

Can't wait til Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark, Markus Golden's class is up. One may hit the market. Who knows. But there was a lot of really, really good players come out of rounds 2-5 of that class. From those guys. Hicks, Kendricks, McKinney at ILB. Darby. Then on down to Diggs. Ajayi, Kwon Alexander,  etc. 

Rebuilds make no sense when you have 1- a young franchise QB. 2-.....80-90 million in cap room this offseason. Signing 4-5 major impact players and hitting big on 3-4-5 draft picks and come out with 2 day 1 starters. That.  With what we have. We shouldn't be talking rebuild. We should be a top 5-10 team NEXT season. No reason we shouldn't with a healthy. 100% Andrew Luck. You do NOT rebuild with the two things we have my man. 

You do understand it is much harder than how you try to make it sound.  Some guys you go after do not want to come here.  They go somewhere else for what seems like a steal because that is where they want to be.  And yes with the way the roster was when Ballard came in you do have to rebuild.  Money goes quick when you are bringing in FA's and trying to balance a roster.

Hes playing better this year. But didn't have a sack last year. Did have some hit and hurries and played alright. I like him but as a 2nd fiddle rusher. Now If he put up 10 plus this year and shows he's breaking out I want him. Otherwise go with the best available. Not sure who apps on that list. Know you'd have Lawrence and a few others. Jerry Attachou should be a FA. I'm trying to remember who all was in that class. 

Free Agency is when you can typically try and find some under used and under developed guys who have great potential just needing another system.  You mention a player who has potential but the only way you would go after him is if he puts up double digit sacks?  If that's the case his current team might keep him and not let him go anywhere.  It is not that often guys hit the market like that and if they do they want Oliver Vernon money... and some GM's would rather draft a guy.  And why would you discredit him but then mention Attaochu?  He has not put up monster numbers.

Can't wait til Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark, Markus Golden's class is up. One may hit the market. Who knows. But there was a lot of really, really good players come out of rounds 2-5 of that class. From those guys. Hicks, Kendricks, McKinney at ILB. Darby. Then on down to Diggs. Ajayi, Kwon Alexander,  etc. 

Majority of these guys if not all will be signed by their current teams.  Extended before they even sniff FA.  I could almost bet.  Unless a guy who is a cap strapped team is looking for record money they aren't going anywhere.  If the record contract is what they want then look above at my point.  A lot of GM's lean towards a balance and drafting guys versus spending stupid FA money on one guy.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Its called. What we shoulda done. And it's my opinion. Hell I was saying sign Claiborne way early in FA. 

That's fine, but your coulda, shoulda, woulda, dream scenarios are based on going after all the best guys, and getting them all, and no one else has a say so. They'll come because we want them to....(?).

It's based on a lot of hind sight, and not realistic.

And yes, maybe you're just putting it out there as fantasy, but some don't recognize fiction, and blame the FO for not 'doing all they can'.

JMO

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

What?  If what the Colts are doing right now needs explaining to you I would be wasting your time and mine.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:11 PM, COLTS449 said:

Sign Demarcus Lawrence in the offseason.

Signing 4-5 major impact players

Otherwise go with the best available.

I could sugarcoat this and say I'm playing devils' advocate, but I'm just going to go ahead and call nonsense on your whole theory.  It would work if this was Madden and the salary cap was turned OFF.  Then you could just outbid every other team for the best FAs every off-season.

But this is the real world.  It didn't matter to Reggie White that other teams were offering more $ when Mike Holmgren told him that "God wanted him to go to Green Bay".  Some players will choose a team on either coast, or in warmer climates, or closer to their home, or because they are SB favorites over the team that bids the most $.

The Colts have none of those advantages.  If not for Luck, Indy would be a very hard-sell for any FA.

On 9/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, COLTS449 said:

Sign Demarcus Lawrence in the offseason. Then draft a couple edge rushers early. Imagine Lawrence and Harold Landry starting. Simon, Basham and a 4th rounder or so as the rotation. O yeah. Love my pass rush. We got Simon and Basham. Time to get a freak of nature to be the alpha dog. 

Demarcus will likely be re-signed by Dallas.

Landry might be gone by the time we pick.   

These things are much harder in real life than they are simply making posts on a fans website....

23 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Its called. What we shoulda done. And it's my opinion. Hell I was saying sign Claiborne way early in FA. 

Claiborne hasn't done anything for the Jets this year and really has been mediocre to bad his whole career. He's no world beater. Melvin is currently outplaying him.

22 hours ago, buccolts said:

That's fine, but your coulda, shoulda, woulda, dream scenarios are based on going after all the best guys, and getting them all, and no one else has a say so. They'll come because we want them to....(?).

It's based on a lot of hind sight, and not realistic.

And yes, maybe you're just putting it out there as fantasy, but some don't recognize fiction, and blame the FO for not 'doing all they can'.

JMO

Lol. It is not. Obviously some guys wouldn't or didn't wanna come here. But holy hell. Guys like Janoris Jenkins for example are all about the money and will sign with whoever offers up the most. And look at the success some of the major FA signings. It's not like every good player hates us and don't wanna sign here like some posters wanna believe. lmao  But I wanna build through the draft. Problem is that will take at least 3 years and that's if we hit big time each year. So sign 3-4-5 studs. And then start building through the draft. In 3-4 years those FA's would mostly be gone and we'd have a young dominant team. I hope that's the approach we take this offseason. Sign 3-5 studs to go with what we have. Plus the draft and we're contending big time next season. 

21 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I could sugarcoat this and say I'm playing devils' advocate, but I'm just going to go ahead and call nonsense on your whole theory.  It would work if this was Madden and the salary cap was turned OFF.  Then you could just outbid every other team for the best FAs every off-season.

But this is the real world.  It didn't matter to Reggie White that other teams were offering more $ when Mike Holmgren told him that "God wanted him to go to Green Bay".  Some players will choose a team on either coast, or in warmer climates, or closer to their home, or because they are SB favorites over the team that bids the most $.

The Colts have none of those advantages.  If not for Luck, Indy would be a very hard-sell for any FA.

Lol. Again. 90% of players are all about the money. What kind of deal did Collins sign in freaking Cleveland ? A big one didn't he ? Why ? Because these kids are all about who offers up the dough. If we out bid every team. Which we can do this offseason we can bring in some players of his caliber. 

17 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Lol. It is not. Obviously some guys wouldn't or didn't wanna come here. But holy hell. Guys like Janoris Jenkins for example are all about the money and will sign with whoever offers up the most. And look at the success some of the major FA signings. It's not like every good player hates us and don't wanna sign here like some posters wanna believe. lmao  But I wanna build through the draft. Problem is that will take at least 3 years and that's if we hit big time each year. So sign 3-4-5 studs. And then start building through the draft. In 3-4 years those FA's would mostly be gone and we'd have a young dominant team. I hope that's the approach we take this offseason. Sign 3-5 studs to go with what we have. Plus the draft and we're contending big time next season. 

Alright lets just use your example of Janoris Jenkins.  The Giants spent a lot to get him, Vernon, and Snacks in there right.  Well Eli makes far less than Luck.  No Giants WR comes close to TY, and when it is time to sign O'Dell he might walk in FA due to lack of money.  They are going to be in cap restraints and a smart GM would rather balance and not spend stupid money like you want spent.  Every team has a different cap situation.

14 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Lol. Again. 90% of players are all about the money. What kind of deal did Collins sign in freaking Cleveland ? A big one didn't he ? Why ? Because these kids are all about who offers up the dough. If we out bid every team. Which we can do this offseason we can bring in some players of his caliber. 

So you say just throw the check book and all the cap at your 3-4-5 guys in FA huh?  The rebuild that a smart GM would do sounds better to me, and it is a good thing you are not running things.  You would have a team looking worse than the NO Saints  lmao

53 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We were building up the roster this past offseason. Adding depth. Etc. now it's time to go all in. 

Now is the time to go all in??  Jeez,

A- There are no free agents available that would help this team

B- The draft is not till next year

C- I cant understand where you are coming from