Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dear Peyton, Take A Cut

Hal

With Peyton Manning your always a contender, you always have a chance. What was defense like the year we won the Super Bowl? Can you say last against the run. Did we win? How was our team 2010, 2011? Sucked again but did we make the playoff's? YES! Out of the 13 season's Manning played, did we ever have a defense? UHHHHH, No!

So lets see here, with Manning and no defense how many consecutive years did we make the playoff's? UHHHHH 11! We didn't make it to the playoff's his rookie year of this past year when he didn't play a snap.

So, if Manning can play and is healthy enough to play how many more years can he play? Maybe 3 to 4. So your saying that if we kept Manning and traded the #1 pick away to say, Cleveland for the #4 and #22 picks in this years draft and an early 2nd rounder this year as well, and a 2013 1st round pick from Cleveland, that we couldnt upgrade this current team and contend? Hello, are you nutts. We could win the freaken division easy. All we need is Blackmon, a couple O-lineman and maybe a RB. Bring Wayne back and you have Wayne, Garcon, Collie and Blackmon. Now thats if Garcon works out a contract that is resonable. Defense is always patchwork every freakin year but whats different now is we have someone who might blitz. Hello! Pats didn't have a dominating defense and they made it.

Yes we are contenders with Manning so yes I believe. He hasn't shown me anything to make me think he couldn't. Duhhhhhhh!

but after the health issues he hasnt showed you anything that he could either.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt the new OC more of an West Coast offense type of guy? im not very familiar with this new guy thats why im asking. im basicaly going off of what some steeler fans have said saying hope we enjoy alot of short 5 yard passes and bubble screens.

No he's not a WCO guy. He basically took the Steelers power run game and tried to sprinkle in some of our concepts, and a large amount of trickery, and more boot action out of the QB. I wish he was a WCO guy

if im not mistaken newton is what 4 yrs and 22 million with a 5th year option that i believe would put it at 32 million'? i maybe wrong on the option dollars, i cant remember off the top of my head, if the colts take luck or even RG3 that would be pretty much the contract they get 5 million a year same as newton. which is better then what mannings will be as his like you showed will increase by close to 12 million from 2012 to 2013. thats to much for a guy who no one is for sure will be able to play in the way he did before all of this happened to him.

The new 5th year option is off of either a ) top 10 money, or b ) top 5. I'm too tired to dig through the CBA, but either way it will likely be 15-18 million in year 5 at that point for both Newton and Luck.

but after the health issues he hasnt showed you anything that he could either.

Thats why I said, if healthy. Peyton is getting better, last interview I seen with him he said he worked out that morning and it was a very good workout. Even if he's at 80% that's better than 80% of the Qb's in the league. The guy gets you in the best play against every defense when he comes to the line. that makes up for the other 20%

Let me say this first: Peyton is the reason I started watching and fell in love with football. At the same time, I can't stand to think of him playing anywhere else, even if it is for the Jets, in the city that I live. If I'm Peyton, I'm willing to restructure my contract down to 15 mil a year and here's why:

- Irsay and Polian built an entire team around him. Few quarterbacks ever get it and none get it to the degree that Peyton has.

- Indianapolis, I assume as a New Yorker from what I've read, has been great to him and will forever be great to him.

- Peyton has a ton of money and makes a ton of money from endorsements and ads.

- The team is still a contender and Peyton knows it.

- Taking a paycut means the Colts can sign his guys: Jeff, Reggie, Pierre, Mathis.

- Medically, he's still a mystery

I understand money's a big deal but it's not like he's making nothing and to me, and I've always seen Peyton as similar, I'd take less money to play in my city, with my friends, with an owner like Jim Irsay and I can't even begin to imagine how much love he gets from Indy. If Peyton doesn't restructure...I don't want to say I'd lose respect for him as a player, but I might lose some respect for him as a person.

Sit down with Irsay, talk about what they'd do with Peyton's money if he does take the cut, and decide from there.

I agree, take a cut( even though you have done this many times in your career to keep qualiy players) so no one ever has a reason to question your loyalty

The funny thing about this to me is that 2 years ago Irsay was SO determined to make Peyton the highest payed player in history...even though Peyton has publicly said that he would prefer a smaller contract to help shape the roster with talent on defense.

Without PM in 2012, we save $6.6MM to the cap Without PM in 2013, we save $18MM to the cap Without PM in 2014, we save $19MM to the cap Without PM in 2015, we save $20MM to the cap What is Luck/RG3 to the cap? about $5MM a year.

Well put....it's not just about what the team will save on Manning in 2012.

The 'benefits' to not picking up the option and letting him go (if deemed to be either too expensive or too injured) will really be felt in 2013 - 2015.

I still want to know what Irsay means (and to the same notion Polian) by saying they can restructure the current contract. Are they aware of a way to cheat the new CBA or is the Manning situation specialized enough to allow them the re-work it?

And we have good evidence of last season's W-L record of how miserable we are when we base our team on 1 person.

so when Luck becomes a stud, then you'll just want to dump him too because his contract will be too much?

are you billy beane? trade good players and then lose, and lose, and lose and lose.

Billy beane never won a world series with the A's, fyi.

we were bad last year because our drafting from 2006 to present was the worst in the league, that's why. Polian failed to support Manning with talent via the draft. He was very successful with the draft prior to that, hence we won the Superbowl in 2006.

2011 has been building up since Aprin 2007, our depth was horrible and thats not peyton's fault.

so when Luck becomes a stud, then you'll just want to dump him too because his contract will be too much?

are you billy beane? trade good players and then lose, and lose, and lose and lose.

Billy beane never won a world series with the A's, fyi.

we were bad last year because our drafting from 2006 to present was the worst in the league, that's why. Polian failed to support Manning with talent via the draft. He was very successful with the draft prior to that, hence we won the Superbowl in 2006.

2011 has been building up since Aprin 2007, our depth was horrible and thats not peyton's fault.

If Luck becomes a stud QB, and

a) has 3 neck surgeries such that his arm strength is questionable, and

b) he is pushing 36, and

c) he is due a large bonus payment that will cripple the team if he cannot play, and

d) there is a highly-rated QB prospect in the draft claimed by some scouts as the best prospect since Luck,

yes, I would dumping him and draft the new QB.

I'm not attributing fault to anyone. This is a business, and should be run like a business.

I have not really heard anyone mention this team as a possible Peyton suitor, but Tampa has over 60 million free in cap space... They could get Peyton, Mario Williams, Landry, a CB, Demetrius Bell LT or RT, Ben Grubs, Vincent Jackson or another WR... That's deadly

I don't think they are near ready to give up on Josh Freeman.

Manning will not be a Buc.

I have not really heard anyone mention this team as a possible Peyton suitor, but Tampa has over 60 million free in cap space... They could get Peyton, Mario Williams, Landry, a CB, Demetrius Bell LT or RT, Ben Grubs, Vincent Jackson or another WR... That's deadly

There's a reason the Buccs are 60 mil under the cap....their owner likes to pay for cheap players because he knows he'll still make plenty of money in ticket sales, even if the team is garbage. Makes me glad we have Irsay, who I don't think anyone would say is a cheap owner.

Nope. Because I have an uncommonly high football IQ.

Please. Your The same guy who last year when I said the colts should have gotten some help at CB, SS, LB, and DT said this isn't madden. Your football IQ is nothing. Your a big mouth who always has something negative to say.

Please. Your The same guy who last year when I said the colts should have gotten some help at CB, SS, LB, and DT said this isn't madden. Your football IQ is nothing. Your a big mouth who always has something negative to say.

Yep. You were playing Madden then just like you are with some of your draft & cap scenarios. Kudos for the effort and outside the book thinking. Appreciate you making me smile most days.

And my big, all-knowing mouth has positive things to say all the time. For evidence, see the sentence above.

Yep. You were playing Madden then just like you are with some of your draft & cap scenarios. Kudos for the effort and outside the book thinking. Appreciate you making me smile most days.

And my big, all-knowing mouth has positive things to say all the time. For evidence, see the sentence above.

That part proceeded that Madden playing part. I identified two very affordable FA targets, SS Donte Whitner, NT Aubrayo Franklin. Both would have been great here. It was not from Madden which I don't know and don't play it was from my football IQ, which I prove in my posts and don't have to reference like you did. Months ago I mentioned Poe and Leonard Johnson as top prospects at their position, we're 3 and 4 round picks now 1 and 2... Everyone hoped on that, but I guess madden gave me my insight?

Yes, Peyton is a big deal and very revered in this city. He's also invested well in it. His name is on a hospital.

WHO WILL THINK ABOUT THE KIDS!!??(at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent)

i just wanna take this opportunity to say....i hate kids

I asked you then and I will ask you again, why is it you have to presume Madden play when someone thinks unconventionally? Is it not possible I have a deep appreciation for the NFL and may have a solid football IQ myself? I give scheme fitting players and solid ideas, I have a keen eye for talent, maybe we could be constructive instead of persumptious that my ideas are farcical.

So.....ya think thats gonna happen? Or not?

That's what will happen..

Remember..he banked $26 mil last year....

If he takes $5 mil this year...that's $31 mil over 2 seasons...and the rest can be deferred to 2013 and beyond when the NFL salary cap goes up..

I dont think the money is the issue...

Irsay wants to believe that Manning can play.....and that could be why we're waiting

No way manning re-signs for 5M or even 6M

teams will be offering him double or even triple if they are really desperate and/or he has a great workout.

There are teams with 40,50, 60m+ cap room. They can easily afford Manning.

teams will be offering him double or even triple if they are really desperate and/or he has a great workout.

Yup Tampa has 60 million! They could be a real dark horse team.

Boy that would bust your bubble if he did take that contract amount. :lol: Maybe he really wants to retire a Colt like he says.

why do you say that Andrew..what do you think his true motivation is?

While I don't think money is his motivation, I think an offer that low would be insulting all things considered and he has his pride. He also has the pressure of the rest of the league not to set precedent by taking such a low offer. The players I heard talking about on the radio said he shouldn't take a cut at all.

I want Manning to stay, but that's too low and I'd be very surprised if he played for that amount.

Well it's hard to say what may happen and I won't be surprised about anything. I don't think Irsay would insult Peyton with a contract like that anyway. JMO of course.

I have no idea if PM will play for $5MM straight this upcoming season.

I have no idea how the mix of emotions within him will play out:

1) Desire to stay a Colt

2) Competitiveness to want to be recognized his true value ($$$) given that he can now throw

3) How much longer is his internal clock to retirement....1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + years?

4) Desire to win a SB before item 3

5) How he evaluates the Colts chances for item 4 compared to other teams that may offer for him

6) If he cannot throw very well, what is his item 3?

I have no idea if PM will play for $5MM straight this upcoming season.

I have no idea how the mix of emotions within him will play out:

1) Desire to stay a Colt

2) Competitiveness to want to be recognized his true value ($$$) given that he can now throw

3) How much longer is his internal clock to retirement....1, 2, 3, 4, 5 + years?

4) Desire to win a SB before item 3

5) How he evaluates the Colts chances for item 4 compared to other teams that may offer for him

6) If he cannot throw very well, what is his item 3?

To me #5 might be key. If he has a better chance to win a superbowl elsewhere he may be ok with Andrew taking over in Indy. I don't think he wants to play anywhere with a really weak o-line, for instance.

Mannings main motivation is to win a Super Bowl. Not "retire as a colt" and please fans.

There are better teams out there with more $$$ and better talent that could use Manning's services. I'm sure he loves Indy, the fans, and obviously has deep roots, but he would like nothing more than a couple more rings and there are some teams out there that could use his services.

Mannings main motivation is to win a Super Bowl. Not "retire as a colt" and please fans.

There are better teams out there with more $$$ and better talent that could use Manning's services. I'm sure he loves Indy, the fans, and obviously has deep roots, but he would like nothing more than a couple more rings and there are some teams out there that could use his services.

I tend to agree. If Irsay really wants Manning to stay, I think he's going to have to convince Peyton that this is closer to a superbowl team than a 2-14 team.