Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Depth Chart

TKnight24

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I told everyone to stop penciling in Haeg and Clark as starters on the O-Line. People kept pushing that "Grigson finally fixed the line" narrative. But that is still an awful lineup. Might as well not even let Luck start the rest of the season if you're going to put Denzel Good back on the line.

What I gather from this is that it's not that they're big on Vujnovich (except for Ballard who praised him) or Good, but rather they're not impressed with Haeg and Clark. This has Pagano written all over it IMO. But can't say Im shocked that Haeg and Good got beat out. They were never sure things.

Vujonich sucks Ballard praised him why??? he is the most awful excuse for a player I have seen in a linemen for a long time.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why isn't Mewhort going to last long??

Also hard to believe that Vujnovich is now a starter when prior to now he's only been practice squad material.  

His knee is a big concern. I saw a guy just drive him back with ease on all bull rush. That just doesn`t happen with him. lol

I was really impressed with Vujo last pre-season in his brief stint before he got hurt, so i was very glad we kept him for development. So no surprise he has made a jump in year two.,

But, i am very disappointed he remains at a listed 300lbs.  Good luck knocking tackles off the line in the run game,

or holding up to bull rushes. Show me i guess.
 We dress seven lineman on game day so we need both non starters to play more than one position. V as a guard?
 I`m rooting for ALL of them. :applause:    Goooooooo Cooooolts!

Pagano has gotten his guys to play hard. Let`s expect them to play smarter this season and compete with fewer penalties and more takeaways.

In regards to the O-line... Yuck. Not only are we forced to start these guys who were undrafted and have no experience, we're still shuffling who's at what position. So much for continuity. 

It's been so long that this has been an issue, and it's going to continue holding our offense back until we get it fixed. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I told everyone to stop penciling in Haeg and Clark as starters on the O-Line. People kept pushing that "Grigson finally fixed the line" narrative. But that is still an awful lineup. Might as well not even let Luck start the rest of the season if you're going to put Denzel Good back on the line.

What I gather from this is that it's not that they're big on Vujnovich (except for Ballard who praised him) or Good, but rather they're not impressed with Haeg and Clark. This has Pagano written all over it IMO. But can't say Im shocked that Haeg and Good got beat out. They were never sure things.

It's really not on Pagano it's more on Ballard.  He evaluated the entire roster and made his moves,  Ballard had time to replace Haag and Clark if he wanted to.  He had plenty of time to sign FA lineman or trade for one. .  Haag lost his spot as did Clark.  I think they were beat out by players who performed better than them including Vujnovich and Good.  No loyalties here.  They are starting the best five lineman who are healthy. 

17 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

In regards to the O-line... Yuck. Not only are we forced to start these guys who were undrafted and have no experience, we're still shuffling who's at what position. So much for continuity. 

It's been so long that this has been an issue, and it's going to continue holding our offense back until we get it fixed. 

Who cares about draft status.

The 2006 Colts won the SB with:

1 - 1st round pick (Glen)

1 - 5th round pick (Scott)

1 - 4th round pick (Diem)

2 - UDFA (Saturday and Lilja)

The 2009 Colts went to the SB with

1- 4th round pick (Diem)

1 - 6th round pick (Johnson)

3 - UDFA. (Satruday, Lilja and Devan)

Right now the Colts have

1 1st round pick

1 - 2nd round pick

3 - UDFA 

When Kelly comes back it will be 2 - 1st round picks.

Also, I would not be shocked if, when Kelly comes back, they move Bond over to LG, unless Vujy is just tearing it up. I've mentioned several times how impressive Bond has been.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Who cares about draft status.

The 2006 Colts won the SB with:

1 - 1st round pick (Glen)

1 - 5th round pick (Scott)

1 - 4th round pick (Diem)

2 - UDFA (Saturday and Lilja)

The 2009 Colts went to the SB with

1- 4th round pick (Diem)

1 - 6th round pick (Johnson)

3 - UDFA. (Satruday, Lilja and Devan)

Right now the Colts have

1 1st round pick

1 - 2nd round pick

3 - UDFA 

When Kelly comes back it will be 2 - 1st round picks.

Also, I would not be shocked if, when Kelly comes back, they move Bond over to LG, unless Vujy is just tearing it up. I've mentioned several times how impressive Bond has been.

I'd agree that draft status isn't  relevant anymore when we're discussing established NFL players. But guys who've never started a game before - I think it's worth stating. 

2 hours ago, Old Colt said:

Just shows this team / coaching is in total disarray.  Top secret game they are playing with Luck, players showing on depth chart where they barely played, if at all, and a coach trying to be a tough guy....  can we just move on to next season...

What? A tough guy?  Where did you come up with this nonsense?

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I'd agree that draft status isn't  relevant anymore when we're discussing established NFL players. But guys who've never started a game before - I think it's worth stating. 

Well, you can't become an established NFL player without playing in the NFL.  All of those UDFA started their first game at some point.  With Saturday, his first year he started at guard and center, Lilja earned his starting job in camp as did Devan (although I never thought Devan was good). Johnson earned his starting spot by being Mr. everything along the line.

I'm just saying just because there are some undrafted guys does not mean anything especially since Bond is the only UDFA rookie.  Both Good and Vujy have been in the NFL and have played in real games.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well, you can't become an established NFL player without playing in the NFL.  All of those UDFA started their first game at some point.  With Saturday, his first year he started at guard and center, Lilja earned his starting job in camp as did Devan (although I never thought Devan was good). Johnson earned his starting spot by being Mr. everything along the line.

I'm just saying just because there are some undrafted guys does not mean anything especially since Bond is the only UDFA rookie.  Both Good and Vujy have been in the NFL and have played in real games.

Good was actually drafted, albeit 7th round. You're right that even the good ones have to make their first start at some point, but the long term success rate is low for UDFAs. Saturday type of players are more the exception than the rule; but one thing is sure we'll all be elated on this forum if Vujnovich turns out to be anything even close to a Jeff Saturday type of player. 

Time will tell. I'm not optimistic, but my lack of optimism won't hurt their play.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

It's really not on Pagano it's more on Ballard.  He evaluated the entire roster and made his moves,  Ballard had time to replace Haag and Clark if he wanted to.  He had plenty of time to sign FA lineman or trade for one. .  Haag lost his spot as did Clark.  I think they were beat out by players who performed better than them including Vujnovich and Good.  No loyalties here.  They are starting the best five lineman who are healthy. 

Pagano makes the coaching decisions though. He decides who plays and starts. The problem is that those may be the best starting 5 on our roster, but that's still an underwhelming lineup. Continuity goes out the window. I don't see Good or Vujnovich being long term starters. i say this is Pagano because this is what we saw with center position a few years back before we got Kelly.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pagano makes the coaching decisions though. He decides who plays and starts. The problem is that those may be the best starting 5 on our roster, but that's still an underwhelming lineup. Continuity goes out the window. I don't see Good or Vujnovich being long term starters. i say this is Pagano because this is what we saw with center position a few years back before we got Kelly.

The lineup might look underwhelming but Pagano is working with what he has.  Good, I think, might be a long term starter, we'll see.  Vujnovich: who knows. but he's a Ballard guy.  Fortunately Grigson did draft Kelly and he should have drafted Whitehair too. Grigson was interfering on who started as well.  Not starting Shipley was crazy but they started Grigson's guy.  I can't remember his name.  Everyone seems to like Bond.  Maybe he turns out to be a real find.  The fact remains Ballard did address the OL with some additions, Schwenke he cut.  But he could have addressed it more if he wanted to.  This is his roster now. 

4 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

honestly? yes i did...

Well that was your own fault.

I thought the best players play? Atleast that's how it should be right? darius hasn't put himself above any safety on this roster in my opinion

Well, the guys that get paid to do this disagree. 

only reason  why hes back there is experience which is fine i guess but what a perfect way to "ease" malik in playing against the rams offense with jared goff under center.. 15th overall you need to be playing week 1 especially if your healthy and the only reason why you were being held out of practices and preseason was for a precaution 

How many practices and preseason games was he held out of?  How much of Training Camp and OTA's was he able to be a part of?  How many practices has he actually participated in?

18 minutes ago, J@son said:

Well that was your own fault.

Well, the guys that get paid to do this disagree. 

How many practices and preseason games was he held out of?  How much of Training Camp and OTA's was he able to be a part of?  How many practices has he actually participated in?

1st reply: Irrelevant

2nd reply: Still Irrelevant/don't care enough to reply to 

3rd reply: I'm guessing those q's are rhetorical you can go on google and find out if you're curious I however am not I just want the best to play lol

Give me a break. They will start the 5 players who have earned it. I applaud that approach. It was a wide open competition this pre-season. I love that. Granted, Kelly will take over the snaps when he's ready to go. But they kept the most talented players and gave the starter slots to them who earned it. Good for the coaches!

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

1st reply: Irrelevant

2nd reply: Still Irrelevant/don't care enough to reply to 

3rd reply: I'm guessing those q's are rhetorical you can go on google and find out if you're curious I however am not I just want the best to play lol

Question 3 was not rhetorical at all. I was curious if you had even the minimal information that IS available to the public, which you apparently don't, before making the declaration that hooker is 1) the better player and 2) is healthy and ready for live action.

Without knowing the answers to question 3, how could you possibly say that hooker is ready to play. Again, this isnt madden where you can skip every practice and still perform in games as if you didnt miss them. 

Hes a rookie. He started teaining camp on PUP. He missed several practices and a lot of important preseason action. You have no idea whatsoever whether or not hes ready to play. Your opinion that he should start is based SOLELY on his draft status. 

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

Question 3 was not rhetorical at all. I was curious if you had even the minimal information that IS available to the public, which you apparently don't, before making the declaration that hooker is 1) the better player and 2) is healthy and ready for live action.

Without knowing the answers to question 3, how could you possibly say that hooker is ready to play. Again, this isnt madden where you can skip every practice and still perform in games as if you didnt miss them. 

Hes a rookie. He started teaining camp on PUP. He missed several practices and a lot of important preseason action. You have no idea whatsoever whether or not hes ready to play. Your opinion that he should start is based SOLELY on his draft status. 

So, in your opinion, Malik needs to PRACTICE and EARN the right to start?

That's just crazy talk.

15 minutes ago, J@son said:

"apparently you don't" just because i choose not to answer your sarcastic questions doesn't mean i don't know the answers LOL anyways let me get to your main point.. is it really crazy to want him starting over darius? i don't think so personally especially against the rams

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

All that is true.  But he takes poor angles in run support and seems hesitant to try and make the tackle when he is there and whether he plays in the box or not, run support is a big part of a safety's job.  He was often late in providing help over the top on deep routes and his range is limited, he's not a safety that can cover from the hash to the sideline, his range is pretty much from hash mark to hash mark.  From his play in the preseason, I thought there was a good chance he may not make the final 53.

come to think of it, i dont remember hearing butlers name called in the preseason

i didnt notice him at all, but the lions game is the only one i paid much attention too

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

come to think of it, i dont remember hearing butlers name called in the preseason

i didnt notice him at all, but the lions game is the only one i paid much attention too

I don't know how many snaps he got but he started the first 3 games, obviously there was no reason to have him play in the 4th game.  Had 3 tackles (1 in each game) 0 PDs.

But, like Dungy was fond of saying, the most important ability is availability.  And he has proven more reliable than Hooker to this point.  And nobody likes it when a Hooker is unavailable... but I guess a Butler makes his living by always being available.

Ok, I'll stop with the bad puns.

25 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't know how many snaps he got but he started the first 3 games, obviously there was no reason to have him play in the 4th game.  Had 3 tackles (1 in each game) 0 PDs.

But, like Dungy was fond of saying, the most important ability is availability.  And he has proven more reliable than Hooker to this point.  And nobody likes it when a Hooker is unavailable... but I guess a Butler makes his living by always being available.

Ok, I'll stop with the bad puns.

Butler should start!  TODAY he is they better player period 2 games from now? We will see? 

1 hour ago, MarquisJ said:

"apparently you don't" just because i choose not to answer your sarcastic questions doesn't mean i don't know the answers LOL anyways let me get to your main point.. is it really crazy to want him starting over darius? i don't think so personally especially against the rams

What was sarcastic about the questions I asked?

As for you knowing the answers, well I can only go by what youve told me, which is:

I'm guessing those q's are rhetorical you can go on google and find out if you're curious I however am not I just want the best to play lol"

so, if youre not curious about that information then yes, not only is it crazy for you to say he should be starting but its also crazy for you to say hes the best player at his position right now. Hooker Being the most athletic or having the most raw talent are not the same as him being the best player.

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Y hell no. How often does a player actually hold out through the season. Plus if Quinn is 100% again he'll be putting some pressure on us. And Hooker will be starting by week 3-4-5

Well so far he is

18 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Your 1st, and even you're 2nd RD picks should be starters week 1, especially a kid who should've went top 10.

This isn't always the case especially if you draft BPA and not by need. Dorsett didn't start. TJ Green didnt start, Ben ijalana didnt start. Those are just Colts players i could go through the entire league and name more.

On 9/5/2017 at 10:00 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't know that, but he's our 1st round pick that was, in reality, a top 5 guy in the entire draft. Butler isn't special, he has no business starting over Hooker. Hooker doesn't need to be babied. He should be starting day 1 to get valuable experience whether he struggles or not. He's not learning anything on the bench. If he's hurt, that's another story, but I haven't heard anything that says he's injured to where he can't start week 1.

The fact that he is a first round pick holds no precedence it isn't a coincident that he slid to 15. Ballard has already stated the BEST 11 will play. They haven't seen enough out of him to name him a starter. IMO he will see some playing time but Butler will start until they are comfortable enough with Hooker transitioning to the speex of the NFL. I honestly believe he will start by mid season.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:57 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

The best way to learn is by experience, and being thrown into the fire. This is becoming true with 1st round QBs, and a lot of other 1st round picks. Malik is not a late round pick that has no idea what he is doing, he's not someone who is way behind on a loaded depth chart at S, we drafted him in the 1st round, as a huge steal, to hold down the S spot for years to come. If he struggles, it's ok, he shouldn't be sitting behind someone like Butler. There is no substitute for experience.

Hooker has only 1 year experience as a starter and not at the NFL level, Butler has been in this league for years and competed at a HIGH level. I like Hooker but he isn't ready to be a day 1 starter and its as simple as that. You're trying to discredit butler who has been one if the better DB's this organization has had in some time. Hooker will learn until Ballard deems him a capable starter. 

7 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Hooker has only 1 year experience as a starter and not at the NFL level, Butler has been in this league for years and competed at a HIGH level. I like Hooker but he isn't ready to be a day 1 starter and its as simple as that. You're trying to discredit butler who has been one if the better DB's this organization has had in some time. Hooker will learn until Ballard deems him a capable starter. 

As I said, there is no substitute for experience, and Hooker isn't getting any better sitting on the bench. If it's a playbook issue, I agree, if it's an injury issue, I agree, but you will not convince me, in any way, shape or form, that Hooker sitting on the bench is the right move for Hooker or the team in the short term or the long term. Butler is more of a nickel corner, and has only played S because of the lack of starters and depth there. The fact that he's starting over Hooker is appalling. We aren't the Seattle Seahawks with the Legion of Boom, and with all due respect, Darius Butler isn't a top 10 or even top 15 Safety in the league. Either Ballard made a bad pick with Hooker and he knows something we don't, or this is another case where the "veteran" is getting favored over the rookie, and nothing is changing from when Grigson was here. I don't care what Ballard thinks in this situation, and you should have your own opinion as well, whether it differs from mine is fine, but don't base it off of what Ballard thinks.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:48 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Vujonich sucks Ballard praised him why??? he is the most awful excuse for a player I have seen in a linemen for a long time.

I can't get over how many fans here love to post things like this.....

"Why doesn't the GM or HC, or OC or the DC know what I know?    That the guy I like should be starting over the guy they like.    Their guy sucks.    My guy is much better.    I don't understand why they don't agree with me?"

These might be my favorite posts on the website.   (Sarcasm alert!)

It never even occurs to the fan base that the guys running the team might know more than they do.    Nope.   They know what their eyes tell them and they trust their opinions over those of the professional.

These type of posts are embarrassing.    Yet too many posters make them all the time.    I think you had a similar series of posts on Bostic.      

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Why doesn't the GM or HC, or OC or the DC know what I know.     That the guy I like should be starting over the guy they like.    Their guy sucks.    My guy is much better.    I don't understand why they don't agree with me?"

These might be my favorite posts on the website.

It never even occurs to the fan  base that the guys running the team might know more than they do.    Nope.   They know what their eyes tell them and they trust their opinins over those of the professional.

These type of posts are embarrassing.    Yet too many posters make them all the time.    I think yoiu had a similar series of posts on Bostic.      

Agreed.

Fans need to stop watching games on TV and think this actually gives them actual knowledge or information about players. Much like watching the Discovery Channel does not make a person a medical doctor.

One thing I've learned is to never evaluate players by what I "see" in games.

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As I said, there is no substitute for experience, and Hooker isn't getting any better sitting on the bench. If it's a playbook issue, I agree, if it's an injury issue, I agree, but you will not convince me, in any way, shape or form, that Hooker sitting on the bench is the right move for Hooker or the team in the short term or the long term. Butler is more of a nickel corner, and has only played S because of the lack of starters and depth there. The fact that he's starting over Hooker is appalling. We aren't the Seattle Seahawks with the Legion of Boom, and with all due respect, Darius Butler isn't a top 10 or even top 15 Safety in the league. Either Ballard made a bad pick with Hooker and he knows something we don't, or this is another case where the "veteran" is getting favored over the rookie, and nothing is changing from when Grigson was here. I don't care what Ballard thinks in this situation, and you should have your own opinion as well, whether it differs from mine is fine, but don't base it off of what Ballard thinks.

I'm done trying to talk you off the ledge every time the team makes a decision you don't agree with. So...jump.

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I agree but I can't believe Ballard is the one who decides when he is ready to start.  That's one of the problems we had with Grigson.   Who starts and plays is up to the coaching staff  IMO. 

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Ballard is making the calls on who is starting and who is sitting. That falls on Pagano. Finally he is able to coach as he sees fit.

If Pagano thinks Hooker is not ready yet then in his opinion he is not. Hooker has not earned the starting spot. He may have the talent to do so but till he shows it on the field he will not be the starter. It's not rocket science. There will be enough substitutions for Hooker to get the experience needed without getting thrown into the fire all at once. Pagano is trying to win games, not cater to a rookie no matter where he was drafted.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Why doesn't the GM or HC, or OC or the DC know what I know.     That the guy I like should be starting over the guy they like.    Their guy sucks.    My guy is much better.    I don't understand why they don't agree with me?"

These might be my favorite posts on the website.

It never even occurs to the fan  base that the guys running the team might know more than they do.    Nope.   They know what their eyes tell them and they trust their opinins over those of the professional.

These type of posts are embarrassing.    Yet too many posters make them all the time.    I think yoiu had a similar series of posts on Bostic.      

Because I just don't see what's to like about him any time he was out there in the preseason he sucked every time.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree but I can't believe Ballard is the one who decides when he is ready to start.  That's one of the problems we had with Grigson.   Who starts and plays is up to the coaching staff  IMO. 

Be that the case, if the coaches felt he was ready to be a day 1 starter he would be ahead on the charts.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My OWN opinion is Hooker isn't ready to be a day one starter. There is no Veteran favoritism here Butler clearly has MORE experience and showed more to the coaches during Training Camp to warrant him the start. Regardless of what you think or feel they are putting the best 11 out there to win. Why in the world would you put a Rookie who hasn't showed he is capable in the lineup to stink it up? We want to WIN and win NOW, i dont care about getting a rookie "experience" if its only going to hinder the chances of us winning. Just get over it Hooker is not our starter right now and he's not ready to be our starter right now, it's as simple as that.