Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Press Conference @ Noon

TKnight24

I'll be posting the tweets in this thread for those of you who won't be able to watch it live. I'm sure others will also join me in posting the tweets. 

Point being, you will have all the Colts information you can handle by days end :) 

:colts:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I expect a TE and S in the 4th or 5th. That's my read (because of his comment that this is the deepest draft he's ever scouted at those positions).

I think a good S is gonna drop to us in the second i can see the scenario where the half of fist 14 teams take a DB in the fist round and go after another need in the second, for instance Obi Melifonwu could be there in the second and be the BPA, i think we could pull the trigger and play with 4 "safeties" in Nickel packages with Butler going deep and Gathers as LB and Obi or Green going after TE and RB.  
I can see a lot of Gathers in Obi i would love to get both and play them as interchangeable S, LB play fast but with big guys.

In the other hand another TE is a must , i can see us drafting the kid form Michigan is kind of raw but would be a good addition.  

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm thinking conley. Best press man corner in the draft imo

I actually like Conley better than Lattimore. Bummed out that he has risen so much throughout the draft process. Wouldn't mind him at all in the 1st (even though I was hoping to get him in the 2nd months ago).

Just now, stitches said:

I actually love it this way. It's better than us leaking information for every other team to know and exploit.

I agree, this sort of thing has cost teams before. Ballard is playing it smart saying this. It's still worrisome as a fan though to know we could go rb or something like that though.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree, this sort of thing has cost teams before. Ballard is playing it smart saying this. It's still worrisome as a fan though to know we could go rb or something like that though.

I mean... at some point you have to trust your GM. Even if he drafts an offensive player what matters much more than the position of the player we draft is how good he will be for us. I doubt anyone would complain at the end of the year if we draft a pro-bowl/rookie of the year type of offensive lineman or even RB.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Well put your money where your mouth is.  If QB is bpa is best player at the time then take him....  

I hate when guys claim bpa,  it's much more complicated than that 

OMG, someone like Deshaun Watson would cause a riot on these forums. They would have to be shut down. LOL, fans would literally revolt, even the casual ones. Irsay probably would intervene and force Ballard to choose someone else.

Just now, stitches said:

I mean... at some point you have to trust your GM. Even if he drafts an offensive player what matters much more than the position of the player we draft is how good he will be for us. I doubt anyone would complain at the end of the year if we draft a pro-bowl/rookie of the year type of offensive lineman or even RB.

The problem is, I don't trust him, plain and simple. I know nothing about how he drafts, and even less about what positions he excels at scouting. He did well at FA, but that's a different animal from the draft. He has to earn my trust, and he can with a great draft, but I have to see it first, and Ballard is the guy I wanted as GM.

Don't know why so many people are against picking offense early, when according to Ballard they'll only do that if the offensive player is BPA by a certain margin. 

If the talent is equal, it's going to be defense. Sounds like the most sensible strategy to me instead of this "defense no matter what" approach.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Well put your money where your mouth is.  If QB is bpa is best player at the time then take him....  

I hate when guys claim bpa,  it's much more complicated than that 

I agree, I dont buy that crap at all. Every single team goes into the draft trying to fill a need with a quality player with every pick. It's also extremely subjective when comparing a CB to a RB and determining who is the better, more valuable player. Is Mixon a better player than Charles Harris? That's not even really an answerable question. 

I agree that at some point you can't pass up a great talent for a marginal one, but what are the odds of that, at least until the latter rounds?

Last year we picked Kelly because we needed him. And it was the perfect choice. 

Why would you get someone at a position of need that is worse than another player who could also contribute. It's about putting the best players out there not the most well rounded team. He used Reggie Wayne a couple of weeks ago as an example. Everyone probably wanted a defensive player there too but I'm glad we got Reggie instead. Would rather have a chance at an elite player than someone who just fills a need.

Just now, KB said:

Why would you get someone at a position of need that is worse than another player who could also contribute. It's about putting the best players out there not the most well rounded team. He used Reggie Wayne a couple of weeks ago as an example. Everyone probably wanted a defensive player there too but I'm glad we got Reggie instead. Would rather have a chance at an elite player than someone who just fills a need.

The good news is, if any top 10 player falls to us, it'll probably be at a position of need anyway (unless it's a QB). So it'll coincide with being both BPA and need and fill both requirements. Unless it actually happens, I don't see Ballard making some crazy pick. I think it will either be O-Line or Defense. Nothing else.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The good news is, if any top 10 player falls to us, it'll probably be at a position of need anyway (unless it's a QB). So it'll coincide with being both BPA and need and fill both requirements. Unless it actually happens, I don't see Ballard making some crazy pick. I think it will either be O-Line or Defense. Nothing else.

I think that is what BPA boils down to in this draft anyways. I'm not enamoured by alot of the offensive talent in the first round, especially QB. The only outlier I can see is fournette but I don't think he will 1) make it to our pick 2) have a long life in the league. I trust him to pick the best player for our team. I also expect some bad picks this draft due to rookie mistakes. 16 years experience or not.

Just now, KB said:

I think that is what BPA boils down to in this draft anyways. I'm not enamoured by alot of the offensive talent in the first round, especially QB. The only outlier I can see is fournette but I don't think he will 1) make it to our pick 2) have a long life in the league. I trust him to pick the best player for our team. I also expect some bad picks this draft due to rookie mistakes. 16 years experience or not.

The offensive talent is very poor compared to defense IMO (besides Fournette and Howard), so I think that it's a very forgiving draft for Ballard based on BPA and need for us. He won't bat .1000 most likely, but I think he can hit on 4 picks based on us having higher picks than usual and this being a strong draft.

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The problem is, I don't trust him, plain and simple. I know nothing about how he drafts, and even less about what positions he excels at scouting. He did well at FA, but that's a different animal from the draft. He has to earn my trust, and he can with a great draft, but I have to see it first, and Ballard is the guy I wanted as GM.

That's a terrible attitude and it's a problem of the world today. I trust him because he was hired for a reason, just like i trusted grigson when he was hired. People should have to lose your trust in my opinion not earn it. How can you respect someone if you can't trust them?

2 minutes ago, Jake stone said:

That's a terrible attitude and it's a problem of the world today. I trust him because he was hired for a reason, just like i trusted grigson when he was hired. People should have to lose your trust in my opinion not earn it. How can you respect someone if you can't trust them?

I don't know man, trusting until trust is lost hasn't worked out to well for a whole lot of idgenious people