Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assuming Peyton Is Retained & Luck Goes Elway...should We Go Rg3?

Coltsman1788

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might ultimately prove to be right in your opinion of Griffin. Only time will tell for sure. However I seriously doubt that "he slips to the 2nd round easy". Too many teams in need of a quarterback this year for that to even come close to happening. I don't see it short of him getting injured or bombing the combine.

RG3 is smart, accurate, throws a great deep pass, and moves very well; he is being underestimated by many on this forum. However, you don't take him with the #1 overall pick. You trade down for multiple picks and hopefully take care of multiple needs and if you can pick up RG3, you have the QB for the future.

So I take it you are not taking my offer on the bet you proposed, apparently you really didnt mean it huh.

What, you really want to bet money with random internet guy? Either you're just being funny or you need to seek help immeadiatly for your gambling addiction. lol.....really.

Lets just wait and we'll see who's right. If you're right about Griffin then you get bragging rights, hows abouts that.

Both Andrew Luck and Robert Griffen III can't read NFL defense. Defenses are alot hard to read then those looks in college. So when we say that Robert can't read a defense, then you must say the same for Andrew. All we have to do is wait until April.

Both Andrew Luck and Robert Griffen III can't read NFL defense. Defenses are alot hard to read then those looks in college. So when we say that Robert can't read a defense, then you must say the same for Andrew. All we have to do is wait until April.

If you don't read defenses in college, it will be much more difficult for you to read defenses in the NFL.

Andrew Luck reads defenses in college. RG3 does not.

If for some reason Luck refuses to play for Colts I say RG3 should most definitely be drafted. He's as fast as QBs come, accurate, and smart. He would have to work on his decision making but so do all rookies. I would not make the mistake that he's just some project like Tebow, this kid can throw.

So are you saying that just becuase a QB is really athletic he won't be able to read defenses?

I'm saying players do what they do best. Pure drop back QB's are reading coming out of the huddle and until the end of the play. He generally does not run. QB's that have wide reciever speed tend to give up on a play very early. They don't look at every option before they run or pass. Cunningham for the eagles was a prime example. Early in his carreer he ran his butt off and took a beating in the process. Later in his career, his legs no longer his best attribute, started throwing the ball. He had one of the best tight spiralls in the game. On a better team, who knows what he could have done? Andrew Luck, what makes this guy special is his strong arm, his speed and athletisism( he caught a one handed TD pass last year) and he studies as much as Peyton Manning. He has been a QB's teacher at Mannings off season camps for 3 years.

lmao you keep on believing that mate, i dont dislike Luck.. its called common sense and being objective

Everyone thought the texans were gonna take reggie bush and he was a sure bet yet they went and take mario williams... point is as hard as its possibly hard for you to swallow Luck is not the very first great college looking player.... he's just the only overly gassed and hyped one to ever come out of college.

I dont make stuff up, the writer said the quote while writing about Griffin, i did not say A team i said TEAMS

I remember that, the Texans took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush & local hero Vince Young. Sone of the experts went ballistic because Bush was a once in a lifetime player. Casserly then took a job with CBS. 6 years later Williams is still with the Texans.

Im still not ready to proclaim Newton a success. Yes, he had a good rookie yr., but will he continue to improve, I don't know. Maybe he does keep getting better but Im not convinced he has his priorities in the right place yet.

A friend of mine's step brother went to school with him and was college friends... According to his step bro, he doesnt drink, smoke, party, or anything at all and takes alot of time dedicated to football. from what it seems to me, he kind of has his priorities straight, but I agree, who knows if he will improve or not.

IF Peyton is determined healthy enough and shows indications he will be like his old self, we better be trading that 1st overall pick to Cleveland and try and get back their 4th, 22, 2013 1st, and NT Phil Taylor.

Then hope RG3 falls to 4. If not, take Morris Claiborne.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't read defenses in college, it will be much more difficult for you to read defenses in the NFL.

Andrew Luck reads defenses in college. RG3 does not.

Please don't give me all of that. They all study film and can read defenses. NFL defense is alot faster and more unpredictable

RG3 should be the pick everyone wants to put RG3 so far away from Luck but honestly he isnt. Aside from the fact that Luck calls his own plays that doesnt guarantee success in the NFL.

You have to look deeper when you're considering spending a top 5 pick on a franchise QB. The guy is a smallish scrambling QB. Whats that say to you, in terms of monetary investment?

I would view him as an acute injury risk. He's been injured and out for some length in college. These men in the NFL will blast him off the field. Sure he can throw very well, but can he do so with crutches under his arms? I don't like the risk, and expect talk of what I've mentioned to escalate as the combine goes forth and we enter the draft. If I'm a GM and I need a QB, I'm not picking him. I'm trading the pick and going with someone else.

Luck wants to be the first player taken and would sit behind Peyton if he has to. There are several good reasons why Luck should want to come to Indy but to play what if he pulled and Elway; then you draft him anyway. If Luck tried to pull an Elway he could be forced to sit out a year and go into the draft again next year misssing the opportunity to start his professional legacy. The Colts could trade him any time up until the following draft. Luck staying with the Colts would have a set of coaches who are QB friendly in his development. The current Colts roster has some talented players that need to be coached up. Indy is a town with out the big media to harrass Luck like NY or Chicago. Luck chose Stanford partly to get away form the media frenzy.

Please don't give me all of that. They all study film and can read defenses. NFL defense is alot faster and more unpredictable

I do give all that because it is backed up with evidence from Balzer40 below. RG3 does not read defenses.

http://www.nfl.com/n...urns-to-griffin

Direct quotes from article.

"They don't call plays in the huddle. They walk to the line, the play comes from upstairs to the sideline, and it's signaled in," said one NFC executive. "The coordinator upstairs is reading the defense, (Griffin) is not doing that at all. And in the NFL, you're going to have to be the one reading the defense. You have to know what's going on at all times. And you have to get him under center, taking 3-, 5- and 7-step drops."

Another NFC exec said, "It's a very good system, and they've done a heck of a job recruiting for it. ... But it's simple, and he'll have to adjust. He's really smart, accepted to law school and all that, but it'll be an adjustment. … You're not gonna come in and put him in a Peyton [Manning] offense."

"That offense made things simple on him," said the scout. "Because he's such a running threat, he saw soft coverage, you didn't see defensive ends bending the corner to get him. They played him different to keep him in the pocket, and as a result, he got passing lanes he may not get in the pros. It's a problem, because he's got average-to-below-average size. The Vick comparison is there, because you figure he'll miss games (due to injury), but you can't tell him not to run, because that's what makes him special."

The scout continued that, "There's gonna be a significant development period. Him moreso than anyone. You can't fault him for what they didn't ask him to do. I think he's capable of it. But it's natural as a talent evaluator to want to see it."

These are all things I have repeatably said about Griffin. He has a lot and I mean a lot to learn that Luck already has a good handle on.

If we don't take Luck, we should trade. I don't like the looks of Griffin. Strikes me as the prototypical overhyped Heisman winner that bombs out in the NFL. I bet he slips into the second round easy.

I don't think he'll slip to the 3rd pick let alone 2nd round. I don't like the problems he has with his knee but I don't think he is overrated.

There is a bigger gap between Luck and RG3 than a lot of people think. . .there was a closer gap between Leaf and Manning than there is now between these two.

Luck is the clear #1 pick, I haven't heard one single GM say they'd take RG3 over Luck. In the media i've only heard a handful (Dungy, Jemele Hill) say they would take RG3 over Luck.

That being said if Manning is retained and Luck goes Elway then yes I would want RG3. I find it hilarious that people think just because Manning will be back 100%, we do not need a backup QB. Yeah you're right, lets let Painter run the franchise into the ground or hire some dinosaur quarterback. Why not take a good prospect and let Manning tutor him? This is a guy that can come in and can actually resemble a quarterback given time. If something happens to Manning, I want a reliable backup and if that is RG3 then so be it.

There is a bigger gap between Luck and RG3 than a lot of people think. . .there was a closer gap between Leaf and Manning than there is now between these two.

Luck is the clear #1 pick, I haven't heard one single GM say they'd take RG3 over Luck. In the media i've only heard a handful (Dungy, Jemele Hill) say they would take RG3 over Luck.

That being said if Manning is retained and Luck goes Elway then yes I would want RG3. I find it hilarious that people think just because Manning will be back 100%, we do not need a backup QB. Yeah you're right, lets let Painter run the franchise into the ground or hire some dinosaur quarterback. Why not take a good prospect and let Manning tutor him? This is a guy that can come in and can actually resemble a quarterback given time. If something happens to Manning, I want a reliable backup and if that is RG3 then so be it.

I agree that there is a significant gap between Luck and RG3. Luck is clearly the better prospect.

I disagree with the notion of picking RG3 simply because he represent the ability for PM to continue starting for the Colts. We should always pick the best prospect for the position. RG3 needing additional time to develop under PM is not a valid reason to pick him over Luck, who will not need that much time. If PM returns, and goes down early, you want the next QB up to succeed. In this scenario, RG3 would have been the wrong choice.

In addition, if Luck proves out in training camp that he is better than the PM coming back at XX%, Luck should start.

I agree that there is a significant gap between Luck and RG3. Luck is clearly the better prospect.

I disagree with the notion of picking RG3 simply because he represent the ability for PM to continue starting for the Colts. We should always pick the best prospect for the position. RG3 needing additional time to develop under PM is not a valid reason to pick him over Luck, who will not need that much time. If PM returns, and goes down early, you want the next QB up to succeed. In this scenario, RG3 would have been the wrong choice.

In addition, if Luck proves out in training camp that he is better than the PM coming back at XX%, Luck should start.

What?

I'm just going along with the thread title, "Assuming Peyton is retained and Luck goes Elway"

In that scenario then I'd take RG3.

What?

I'm just going along with the thread title, "Assuming Peyton is retained and Luck goes Elway"

In that scenario then I'd take RG3.

Sorry, I forgot about the assumptions.

If Luck goes Eli (not Elway, since Luck does not have an alternate sport to provide leverage), then I agree with you.

However, I really doubt Luck will do an Eli.

I do not expect Luck to pull an Eli.... but if he does I say we trade down with Cleveland, who's Coach Pat Shurmur said at the Combine the Browns are very open to.

A trade down that brings us two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks and NT Phil Taylor is something I suppose I could live with under that unlikely scenario.

But I would use the #4 overall on CB Morris Claiborne and not RGIII.

I'd consider Foles or Tannehill later on.

I don't think he'll slip to the 3rd pick let alone 2nd round. I don't like the problems he has with his knee but I don't think he is overrated.

Oh I imagine you're right. The hype has been stiffing and the concern for drafting a high injury risk "small" scrambling QB seems to be getting ignored by the media. I am still curious what the various scouts honestly feel about this risk? There are so many bad franchises that make silly decisions and take undue risks, yea, he probably will get picked 2nd or 3rd.

People forget what often happens to rookie QB's that can run when they hit the NFL. They get overwhelmed by the speed and intelligence of NFL defenses and develop a flight mode. That'll get him hurt. I wish him the best but I feel he's gonna be an oft hurt player that will bring disappointment to whatever team drafts him.

I do not expect Luck to pull an Eli.... but if he does I say we trade down with Cleveland, who's Coach Pat Shurmur said at the Combine the Browns are very open to.

A trade down that brings us two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks and NT Phil Taylor is something I suppose I could live with under that unlikely scenario.

But I would use the #4 overall on CB Morris Claiborne and not RGIII.

I'd consider Foles or Tannehill later on.

I agree 90%. I would take Kalil or Blackmon at 4 however. I would not take RG3 unless he fell to #4 which he won't. Then with #22 I would take someone like S Mark Baron, OT Mike Adams, G Cordy Glenn, DT Devon Still, NT Dontari Poe, or WR like Kendall Wright or Michael Floyd all depending on what you took at 4. With the 34th pick if Tannenhill is there you take him or best defender available. Next years 1st pick by Cleveland would likely be around #10 since they are in the division with Pitt, Bal, and Cincy who will win the division since they are over $46 million under the cap and two first round picks. Next year we would have perhaps like #10 and lets hope a very late pick...either we could trade up for someone like Barkley or someone like Landry Jones would be available around 10 or who knows who the next RG3 or Cam Newton out of left field may be. Next years qb class I think will be deeper than this year. This year just has Luck with tons of teams needing a qb it is more desperate. A resigned at a discount peyton doesn't make us desperate in my opinion. A healthy Peyton I think means we are 3 years away from another qb. The reason I like OL, DL, and WR in the first rd is because we definately lose Reggie and likely need DL for the new scheme. OL because well whatever qb we get we need better options at ol...we got one last year I think will do ok but suring up more wouldn't hurt. Blackmon or Kalil I think are both franchise players...just like Luck....if we can't sign Luck.