Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Agree There Is A Grain Of Truth Here?

OldManP

An excerpt:

"Thing is, I'm convinced Peyton loves Eli deeply, as I'm convinced Archie loves Eli deeply. They don't steal the attention out of cruelty. They do it because they simply cannot help themselves. Because selfish people do selfish things without even realizing it. That's why they're selfish -- because they literally have no idea they're stepping on other people."

Another: "...but also being a tremendous host city for reasons that will be here whenever the Super Bowl comes back: a compact downtown with hotels and restaurants galore, all within walking distance of Lucas Oil Stadium ... and a gracious citizenry, a Midwest city with Midwest values. Indianapolis is the antithesis of the Peyton-and-Jim Show: Indianapolis is not selfish, not arrogant, not full of itself. Indianapolis is a humble place wanting to take care of its guests."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17125207/its-the-super-bowl-so-why-are-we-talking-about-irsay-and-peyton

More:

"Instead we have Peyton and Irsay, on and on. And in fairness to Irsay, Peyton started it. He started it early in the week when his people leaked it that Manning had been cleared to play after the neck surgery that sidelined him this season. That was a shocking revelation, truly newsworthy had it not been so criminally misleading. "Cleared" to play is not the same thing as "able" to play, and Manning's camp knows it, but they wanted to put pressure on Irsay as the team's decision nears on what to do with Peyton and his $28 million roster bonus due next month.

The leak from Peyton's people gave Irsay the choice of taking the high road and ignoring it -- or reacting. Well, that was no choice. Irsay did what he does: He lurched forward clumsily, knocking over tables and drawing more attention to himself by sending out a tweet heard 'round the word that said Peyton wasn't ready to play, that the situation essentially hasn't changed in months. That started a flurry of back-and-forth between the two sides through the media, and it reached a crescendo Friday when Manning's agent, Tom Condon, magically appeared at the media center to assure newspapers and TV cameras from every time zone that, "Peyton wants to play and he's safe to play."

So here we are, approaching the biggest day of the football season. The hype is almost over. Time to see what happens.

Oh, and also, Super Bowl XLVI is Sunday. "

Does Irsay want Manning in Indy? Does Manning want to stay in Indy, or does he want to shoot his way out of town?

It's never good when a dispute between a superstar and management plays out in the press. Both sides are jockeying for the public sympathy.

Peyton has always said he wants to retire a Colt. Irsay has always said he wants Peyton here.

I think everything else is media hogwash.

I take both men at their word.

Then why the public posturing by both men? What they're doing doesn't match with those past statements. If they just kept quiet, I would have no reason to doubt their past statements.

That is just a weird column...... the guy rips everyone but the City of Indianapolis and its folks, which is a nice thing on his part and has been widely shared by the sports media.

So congrats to Indy and its people.... you guys deserve it!

But man, does this guy have it in for Irsay AND Manning, and he drags each family into it as well.

It's a weird article though, because alot of NFL fans with no dog in the Super Bowl hunt often get burned out by two weeks of constant hype and over-analysis.... I know I do..... and the intrigue of the Peyton Manning dilemma has at least provided a vibrant side discussion very conveniently tied to the SB host city but unrelated to the game.

As a Colts fan.... I hate the whole Manning dilemma myself and we Colts fans all want SOME kind of outcome, but for non-Colts NFL fans dredging thru hours and hours of SB hype.... isn't this story a good thing?

Other than the columnist's personal disgust with Irsay and Manning.... I don't understand his complaint.

I honestly don't know more than anyone else would. Peyton talked to Kravitz, said hey I'm cleared by my dr. to play, Jim said Peyton was a politician. I'm sure Peyton has heard all the talk about trading him and was trying to let people know he was capable of playing.

No harm, no foul. I don't really see anything to get upset about with these two statements.

If Peyton is cleared to play he cannot rehab during the off-season. I see it as a way of Peyton saying hey I'm ready and Jim protecting him.

It was turned into a public fight with very little to fuel it.

That is just a weird column...... the guy rips everyone but the City of Indianapolis and its folks, which is a nice thing on his part and has been widely shared by the sports media.

So congrats to Indy and its people.... you guys deserve it!

But man, does this guy have it in for Irsay AND Manning, and he drags each family into it as well.

It's a weird article though, because alot of NFL fans with no dog in the Super Bowl hunt often get burned out by two weeks of constant hype and over-analysis.... I know I do..... and the intrigue of the Peyton Manning dilemma has at least provided a vibrant side discussion very conveniently tied to the SB host city but unrelated to the game.

As a Colts fan.... I hate the whole Manning dilemma myself and we Colts fans all want SOME kind of outcome, but for non-Colts NFL fans dredging thru hours and hours of SB hype.... isn't this story a good thing?

Other than the columnist's personal disgust with Irsay and Manning.... I don't understand his complaint.

we thought the same thing here. We were asking ourselves, "Does he even hate the manning babies? Are they selfish too?" sheesh

we thought the same thing here. We were asking ourselves, "Does he even hate the manning babies? Are they selfish too?" sheesh

Sorry, I meant ColtsSouth. I guess I got Maureen on my mind.........creepy

I thought Maureens was funny too. Gave me a chuckle.

No comment about Maureen on your mind. hmmmmm :)

I thought Maureens was funny too. Gave me a chuckle.

No comment about Maureen on your mind. hmmmmm :)

I'm the stalker type. I'm innocent really. I don't hurt anyone, I just like to watch people sleep through their windows at night. Thats normal, right? Ain't that normal?

Does Irsay want Manning in Indy? Does Manning want to stay in Indy, or does he want to shoot his way out of town?

It's never good when a dispute between a superstar and management plays out in the press. Both sides are jockeying for the public sympathy.

Do you remember an earlier quote from Irsay that talked about PM being a politician and campaigning? Was he prescient, or does he really know PM, and what PM was trying to do? I think it is the latter.

The title says it all:

It's the Super Bowl -- so why are we talking about Irsay and Peyton?

Why are YOU talking about it?

The SB stinks,it is 2 weeks of boring rehashing and making up of storylines about the 2 participating teams.It is mind numbing and I hate all of it except the game.At least this PM story interjected something interesting into it.

As with most nasty divorces, people don't care about the timing so why would Irsay or Manning? Manning feels like he is going to be pushed out and I'm sure he has a good reason to feel that way. Something happened, didn't happen, was said, or wasn't said that gave him that impression. Everything that was going on with his recovery was private and no one would even talk to the media until now.

Manning is as good as gone and it's his own doing. No one forced him to draft such a contract that is going to force Irsay to cut him especially knowing that he was having these neck and nerve issues. Irsay already made that mistake and made Manning the highest paid offensive consultant in NFL history and he is not going to make that mistake again. If I were Irsay the decision would be simple. If Manning is not able to play by March 8th then he either has to be cut and agree to a new contract that is heavily incentive based or he is no longer a Colt.

An excerpt:

"Thing is, I'm convinced Peyton loves Eli deeply, as I'm convinced Archie loves Eli deeply. They don't steal the attention out of cruelty. They do it because they simply cannot help themselves. Because selfish people do selfish things without even realizing it. That's why they're selfish -- because they literally have no idea they're stepping on other people."

Another: "...but also being a tremendous host city for reasons that will be here whenever the Super Bowl comes back: a compact downtown with hotels and restaurants galore, all within walking distance of Lucas Oil Stadium ... and a gracious citizenry, a Midwest city with Midwest values. Indianapolis is the antithesis of the Peyton-and-Jim Show: Indianapolis is not selfish, not arrogant, not full of itself. Indianapolis is a humble place wanting to take care of its guests."

http://www.cbssports...rsay-and-peyton

More:

"Instead we have Peyton and Irsay, on and on. And in fairness to Irsay, Peyton started it. He started it early in the week when his people leaked it that Manning had been cleared to play after the neck surgery that sidelined him this season. That was a shocking revelation, truly newsworthy had it not been so criminally misleading. "Cleared" to play is not the same thing as "able" to play, and Manning's camp knows it, but they wanted to put pressure on Irsay as the team's decision nears on what to do with Peyton and his $28 million roster bonus due next month.

The leak from Peyton's people gave Irsay the choice of taking the high road and ignoring it -- or reacting. Well, that was no choice. Irsay did what he does: He lurched forward clumsily, knocking over tables and drawing more attention to himself by sending out a tweet heard 'round the word that said Peyton wasn't ready to play, that the situation essentially hasn't changed in months. That started a flurry of back-and-forth between the two sides through the media, and it reached a crescendo Friday when Manning's agent, Tom Condon, magically appeared at the media center to assure newspapers and TV cameras from every time zone that, "Peyton wants to play and he's safe to play."

So here we are, approaching the biggest day of the football season. The hype is almost over. Time to see what happens.

Oh, and also, Super Bowl XLVI is Sunday. "

None..I dont think things area as calculated as the writer suggests...

criminally misleading and crescendo...are HUGE overstatements