Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pick with our 1st?

Skill position or Trenches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• LB,CB,DE,OL(Barnett,Mckinnley,Wilson,Jones,Thomas,Williams,Foster,Robinson ETC)
    • RB(Cook,Fournette)

20 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

You don't have to worry I won't root for him. I believe in second chances but they have to be earned. Nothing he's said or done has earned him a second chance imo. 

I'm not going to completely write him off. He could be very active in charity and community work and become a role model in the future. If that happens I'll reconsider my opinion of him. 

There are plenty of RBs who can make plays as receivers and runners in this draft. I like Gallman. Mixon isn't the only good RB in the '17 Draft. 

He already has done lots of community service as well as multiple things he's done for young fans.

Heres one story I can find without looking hard from not too long ago:

http://thespun.com/big-12/oklahoma/joe-mixon-visits-fan-hospital

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Nice analysis.  According to your rankings Cook is ahead of Mckinley and Harris.  If Garett and Thomas and Fournette go early Cook would be BPA at 14 with Mckinley being the closest.  

Yeah I think Cook is highly likely to go higher than McKinley. But it's comparing apples and oranges when you talk about BPA. I'd prefer to ask 'Who will make the biggest impact for us as a team?'.

Don't get me wrong, Cook is great, really good prospect. I like him as much as Elliot last year. Although, since we have Gore under contract and he has given us no reason to believe his production is going to stop next year, it doesn't make sense to me to take another RB when we are so desperately thin not just at OLB but at LB in general.

There will always be a sexy, offensive skill position player there when we pick. But if we keep taking them because they're the BPA, we risk a Polian-esque neglect of the defense. 

51 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I agree with most all of what you are saying.  Although I think McCaffrey is more of a slot receiver than a running back.  I don't know, he just seems undersized and although he is quick and all, I see him being exploited more in the way the Pats use Julian Edelman.

McCaffrey intrigues me. I think he's a player that gives you a lot of options as an OC. You can line him up at RB, use him on those zone runs. Split him out wide to run routes. Run him in motion. Use him in the screen game from the backfield or from the WR position. Even use him on sweeps. And size wise he's not far off the same size as Wayne Gallman. I'd like to see him go to someone like SF with Kyle Shanahan who knows how to utilise a RB like him. 

He's never going to be your workhorse 25 carry RB. But I think he could be a 20 TOUCH player. He's a guy the defense is going to need to account for whenever he's on the field. He's someone who will spark an offense, in much the same way as Darren Sproles does. If he's there in the 2nd I'd take him, depending on who else is there.

23 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

There were several games that Gore busted one open and could have taken it to the house if he were faster. That being said we left a lot of points on the field this year due to slow RB play. 

I'm all for defense and edge rushers. However, I feel that a stud RB like Cook or even Fournette would be game changers for us in running and screens plays. If Foster is available when we draft, I say go for him. If not and Cook or Fournette are, we better grab either of them. 

I may finally buy a RB or defensive players jersey this year. 

Kareem Hunt, Jamal Williams, Alvin Kamara, Wayne Gallman.

Those are all guys who can "take it to the house". And can be picked in later rounds, where RBs should go. Also Dalvin has one of the worst fumble rates in college and LF7 is below average. 

We didn't lose games because our offense was bad.

4 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Yeah I think Cook is highly likely to go higher than McKinley. But it's comparing apples and oranges when you talk about BPA. I'd prefer to ask 'Who will make the biggest impact for us as a team?'.

Don't get me wrong, Cook is great, really good prospect. I like him as much as Elliot last year. Although, since we have Gore under contract and he has given us no reason to believe his production is going to stop next year, it doesn't make sense to me to take another RB when we are so desperately thin not just at OLB but at LB in general.

There will always be a sexy, offensive skill position player there when we pick. But if we keep taking them because they're the BPA, we risk a Polian-esque neglect of the defense. 

McCaffrey intrigues me. I think he's a player that gives you a lot of options as an OC. You can line him up at RB, use him on those zone runs. Split him out wide to run routes. Run him in motion. Use him in the screen game from the backfield or from the WR position. Even use him on sweeps. And size wise he's not far off the same size as Wayne Gallman. I'd like to see him go to someone like SF with Kyle Shanahan who knows how to utilise a RB like him. 

He's never going to be your workhorse 25 carry RB. But I think he could be a 20 TOUCH player. He's a guy the defense is going to need to account for whenever he's on the field. He's someone who will spark an offense, in much the same way as Darren Sproles does. If he's there in the 2nd I'd take him, depending on who else is there.

I agree with everything you're saying. But Elliott was a complete back. Dalvin has fumble problems and he isn't half the blocker Elliott was.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I agree with everything you're saying. But Elliott was a complete back. Dalvin has fumble problems and he isn't half the blocker Elliott was.

Much appreciated.

All true. All coachable. Speed, vision, balance and instincts aren't things you can necessarily coach very easily. I agree Elliot was a better prospect than Dalvin, but not by any massive distance.

8 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Yeah yeah yeah yeah.... absolutely, .... he intrigues me too.  I very much like him and what you are saying is spot on.  Plus we know he has to be pretty darn intelligent right?  Look at his pedigree too.... pure athlete to the bone.

Its really tough to figure out what is best for this team on the first pick.  So many needs makes almost any pick a good one.  

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

McCaffrey intrigues me as well.  An NFL network writer posted an article predicting the five most impactful players from this years draft class.  They were Garret, Adams, Williams, Foster and McCaffrey.  He can also handle punt and kickoff returns.  I have also seen him mocked in the top half and bottom half of the 1st. round.   He might really improve his stock at the combine. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

McCaffrey intrigues me as well.  An NFL network writer posted an article predicting the five most impactful players from this years draft class.  They were Garret, Adams, Williams, Foster and McCaffrey.  He can also handle punt and kickoff returns.  I have also seen him mocked in the top half and bottom half of the 1st. round.   He might really improve his stock at the combine. 

I agree. I think if he squeaks under 4.4 in the 40 he'll probably cement a first round grade. A contender like NE or GB could be very interested in the bottom of the first.

23 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Kareem Hunt, Jamal Williams, Alvin Kamara, Wayne Gallman.

Those are all guys who can "take it to the house". And can be picked in later rounds, where RBs should go. Also Dalvin has one of the worst fumble rates in college and LF7 is below average. 

We didn't lose games because our offense was bad.

Never said we lost games because offense was bad. Just said we left a lot of points on the field due to some of the play from our backs. Gore is awesome, but you can't deny that his speed (or lack of) in the open field hurt us sometimes. 

Every back we've ever drafted that was first round talent has worked out (Addai is debatable). Everyone thought Dallas was reaching when they took Zeke, but look how that worked out. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Never said we lost games because offense was bad. Just said we left a lot of points on the field due to some of the play from our backs. Gore is awesome, but you can't deny that his speed (or lack of) in the open field hurt us sometimes. 

Every back we've ever drafted that was first round talent has worked out (Addai is debatable). Everyone thought Dallas was reaching when they took Zeke, but look how that worked out. 

That just makes my point even more. We didn't lose games from the points left on the field, but we did lose games because we couldn't stop other teams. 

Yeah Gore isn't 4.4, that's why I listed those young guys we can grab in later rounds. 

And that's not really relevant is it lol. And Zeke was a much better prospect, and Dallas' defense was most definitely not as talent deprived as ours. They also have the line for that kind of thing.

12 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Football is a business. And in today's world it's bad business to have a woman beater on your team. It's not all about winning games and Irsay hopefully knows this. 

Best RB in this class?? You're insane 

1 punch makes you a woman beater? Well in your ignorant opinion I guess. Its not all about winning games?!? The dumbest statement I've seen on this blog so far. Best RB in the class, write it down, take a picture I dont give a fuuuuuuudge. PC principal looking asss

25 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

1 punch makes you a woman beater? Well in your ignorant opinion I guess. Its not all about winning games?!? The dumbest statement I've seen on this blog so far. Best RB in the class, write it down, take a picture I dont give a fuuuuuuudge. PC principal looking asss

You have your opinion I have mine. You can call me whatever you want it just makes you look like a clown. I'm done with this conversation. Please stop quoting me 

19 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

The only reason i's pick one of those RB's is if the top pass rushers and the top corner's are gone.  Foster and Cunningham are in the same 'area' of need/position/talent that i would take with those 2 RB's though.   Especially with D.Q. gone.

Well good thing we pick #15, because a rusher or corner will be there :)

On 2/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, Defjamz26 said:

If Solomon Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, or Reuben Foster are there I'm taking them. I'd even take Quincy Wilson. 

But id take Cook over Barnett tbh

Agreed except for maybe Thomas, the jury is still outhe on that one,  but I'm even less sold on Barnett. I'm hoping we'really in prime position for someone Elite to fall to us. Someone always makes a really weird off the wall pick down in 1-15 anyways. One thing I've been considering, is even though O-line is not considered a strength of this draft, there are tons of teams who need O-line help, so it'should possible to see someone reach a tad or even trade up in there for one.

41 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Agreed except for maybe Thomas, the jury is still outhe on that one,  but I'm even less sold on Barnett. I'm hoping we'really in prime position for someone Elite to fall to us. Someone always makes a really weird off the wall pick down in 1-15 anyways. One thing I've been considering, is even though O-line is not considered a strength of this draft, there are tons of teams who need O-line help, so it'should possible to see someone reach a tad or even trade up in there for one.

I hope someone reaches for Robinson. I don't see the hype but I wouldn't mind Ramcyzk in the second or trade back. If we could acquire a top flight defense prospect in the first and trade up for Ramcyzk assuming he is there in the second I would be ecstatic. There are definitely going to be some interesting prospects in the second hopefully one of Watt, Tankersley, or Williams.

5 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

You're a joke man. Get a life. I have morals that I abide by. Sorry you're a low life * 

Pretty sure he's like 13 years old man. Makes g*y jokes and doesn't know who Gir from Invader Zim is. Not to mention the poor spelling/grammar and constant use of the word bro. Not worth your time.

I haven't read all the replies here, but I look at it like who can help the team get better NOW?  A RB who may or may not have blocking in front of him, no matter how good he may be?  Or a guy that can get to the QB on his own and help a D that gave up over 26 ppg last year?  We DO need a RB, true enough, but Jordan Howard was drafted in the 5th round last year by the Bears and ended up top 10 in rushing.  We can get a good one later.

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I haven't read all the replies here, but I look at it like who can help the team get better NOW?  A RB who may or may not have blocking in front of him, no matter how good he may be?  Or a guy that can get to the QB on his own and help a D that gave up over 26 ppg last year?  We DO need a RB, true enough, but Jordan Howard was drafted in the 5th round last year by the Bears and ended up top 10 in rushing.  We can get a good one later.

There's a chance but it's not a gurantee. It's not a given and we have to stop acting as such.

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Good post, nice to see common sense. 

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There's a chance but it's not a gurantee. It's not a given and we have to stop acting as such.

It's definitely not a given. But I can name like 7 backs that I like, that will be available in later rounds. 

This team NEEDS defense and in the worst way, untill we get that unit into shape, we aren't going anywhere. And personally that's the side of the ball I'd really like us to go in the 1st and for about 90% of the draft. Only way I would say I could justify taking a RB in the first is if all the higher 1st round level Defensive talent was off the board  by the time we picked. But we're gonna be picking14/15 so I'm quite sure there will be at least 1-2 guys there that would be very good picks for us and help us at a position of need. As far as what exactly player we take and what position, I'm not really narrowed in yet a guy or two, but it really doesn't matter to me right now, as long as we get a guy who can be a playmaker for us. 

3 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

This team NEEDS defense and in the worst way, untill we get that unit into shape, we aren't going anywhere. And personally that's the side of the ball I'd really like us to go in the 1st and for about 90% of the draft. Only way I would say I could justify taking a RB in the first is if all the higher 1st round level Defensive talent was off the board  by the time we picked. But we're gonna be picking14/15 so I'm quite sure there will be at least 1-2 guys there that would be very good picks for us and help us at a position of need. As far as what exactly player we take and what position, I'm not really narrowed in yet a guy or two, but it really doesn't matter to me right now, as long as we get a guy who can be a playmaker for us. 

Me and Chris Ballard couldn't agree more :^)

7 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Good post, nice to see common sense. 

It's definitely not a given. But I can name like 7 backs that I like, that will be available in later rounds. 

But besides Mixon, how many of them are you confident enough in to say they'll be just as good as Fournette or Cook in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But besides Mixon, how many of them are you confident enough in to say they'll be just as good as Fournette or Cook in the NFL.

1. We don't need that super elite rb, we are a passing team first. Imo. And Cook has like the 5th worst fumble rate out of all declared backs. That's terrible. 2. Alvin Kamara, Jamal Williams, Kareem Hunt, Perine, and maybe Wayne Gallman or Pumphrey. All have potential. 

46 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

1. We don't need that super elite rb, we are a passing team first. Imo. And Cook has like the 5th worst fumble rate out of all declared backs. That's terrible. 2. Alvin Kamara, Jamal Williams, Kareem Hunt, Perine, and maybe Wayne Gallman or Pumphrey. All have potential. 

1.But why wouldn't you want a super elite RB? You say we don't need one as if it wouldn't serve any purpose. 

2. Kamara is being projected as a 1st rounder now. But all of those guys have potential but not Fournette or Cook potential. Technically there is no sure pick in any draft but a guy like Fournette will probably be a 1,000 yard rusher easy. Those other guys have a bunch of question marks.

46 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

1.But why wouldn't you want a super elite RB? You say we don't need one as if it wouldn't serve any purpose. 

2. Kamara is being projected as a 1st rounder now. But all of those guys have potential but not Fournette or Cook potential. Technically there is no sure pick in any draft but a guy like Fournette will probably be a 1,000 yard rusher easy. Those other guys have a bunch of question marks.

1. Because our front 7 ranked dead last and secondary 2nd to last. And like I said, we're a pass first team. We have the highest paid qb in the league. Why does he need such an elite rb? He doesn't. He just needs a solid starter.

2. Doubt he goes in the 1st, and all of those guys definitely have the potential to be starters and get 1000 yards lol. Maybe they won't be AP but again, we don't need that.

Also you ignored the fact Cook has a terrible fumbling rate and is a subpar blocker.

What will help more, 1500 rush yards and still not a star playmaker on defense, or Gore/Turbin/Hunt and a playmaker on D? We didn't lose games because of our RBs, we lost games because of our defense.  I mean I don't like taking a skill position in the 1st anyways, then add the fact our D ranked 30th overall, and has been 20th or worse every single year except once. And add the fact a stud defender will be available at #15. Add the fact 90% of our gm candidates were known for defense. The fact Ballard said defense wins championships. The fact he said the defense needs a lot of work.  And to me it's just common sense. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:46 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2130893/dalvin-cook

4 fumbles in year 2014-15

3 fumbles in year 2015-16

6 fumbles in year 2016-17 2 came in 1 game he rushed

attempts for 225 yards avg 

4td's another 2 also came from 1 game

What are you talking about? Without quoting all the previous quotes you said something like zeke is a much better prospect than cook is but that is not the case. Even fournette vs cook is debatable there is a reason non of the running backs you mention are being mentioned with these guys. Cook broke the most tackles the past 2 seasons in college yes more than Fournette. I think fournette is better but fournette being available in unrealistic. Quit spread false crap about Cook. Cook fumbles on 0.0189% of attempts, Fournette fumbles on 0.0178% hardly much of a difference.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702512/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-dalvin-cook

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-leonard-fournette-edges-out-dalvin-cook-as-the-nations-best-pure-runner/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769553/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-fournette

On 2/12/2017 at 0:21 PM, Indy Fan said:

IF Foster, Hooker, or Lattimore are available I would be perfectly fine with passing up Cook/Fournette. Otherwise, I would see about trading back and acquiring additional picks since T. Williams, Tankersley, T. White, or Cunningham would fill a need. 

Realisticly only 1 of those first 5 guys you mention is available at Colts pick. Huge chance none are as well.

6 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Realisticly only 1 of those first 5 guys you mention is available at Colts pick. Huge chance none are as well.

If even one of them are available you have to run up to the podium and announce the pick. They all fill a need and are a tier or two above the other prospects (within reason). I can see Foster potentially falling to us due to the surgery but we shall see and possibly Cook since there are question marks about the individuals he surrounds himself with.

1 minute ago, Indy Fan said:

If even one of them are available you have to run up to the podium and announce the pick. They all fill a need and are a tier or two above the other prospects (within reason). I can see Foster potentially falling to us due to the surgery but we shall see and possibly Cook since there are question marks about the individuals he surrounds himself with.

I agree 100% you don't pass on these players.

1 hour ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2130893/dalvin-cook

4 fumbles in year 2014-15

3 fumbles in year 2015-16

6 fumbles in year 2016-17 2 came in 1 game he rushed

attempts for 225 yards avg 

4td's another 2 also came from 1 game

What are you talking about? Without quoting all the previous quotes you said something like zeke is a much better prospect than cook is but that is not the case. Even fournette vs cook is debatable there is a reason non of the running backs you mention are being mentioned with these guys. Cook broke the most tackles the past 2 seasons in college yes more than Fournette. I think fournette is better but fournette being available in unrealistic. Quit spread false crap about Cook. Cook fumbles on 0.0189% of attempts, Fournette fumbles on 0.0178% hardly much of a difference.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000702512/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-dalvin-cook

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-why-leonard-fournette-edges-out-dalvin-cook-as-the-nations-best-pure-runner/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769553/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-fournette

Below are the career offensive fumble rates for the top running back prospects in the 2017 NFL Draft class, broken down into five categories:

Elite (150 or better)

856.0: Kareem Hunt, Toledo
434.0: Joseph Yearby, Miami (Fla.)
266.5: De'Veon Smith, Michigan
243.7: Christian McCaffrey, Stanford
168.0: Elijah McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette
157.2: Jamaal Williams, BYU

Above Average (125-149)

148.2: Wayne Gallman, Clemson
136.0: Brian Hill, Wyoming
129.6: Matthew Dayes, N.C. State
124.7: Tarean Folston, Notre Dame

Average (100-124)

120.8: Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
115.9: Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State
109.6: Devine Redding, Indiana

Below Average (75-99)

99.7: James Conner, Pittsburgh
96.6: Tarik Cohen, North Carolina A&T
86.4: Corey Clement, Wisconsin
82.1: Leonard Fournette, LSU
81.0: Aaron Jones, UTEP
79.0: T.J. Logan, North Carolina
78.5: Elijah Hood, North Carolina

Red Flag (Worse than 75)

74.9: Jeremy McNichols, Boise State
74.3: D'Onta Foreman, Texas
73.0: Joe Mixon, Oklahoma
71.0: Alvin Kamara, Tennessee
69.8: Curtis Samuel, Ohio State
65.4: Taquan Mizzell, Virginia
63.8: Dalvin Cook, Florida State
57.7: Boom Williams, Kentucky
56.3: Justin Davis, USC
54.3: Marlon Mack, South Florida
52.2: Marcus Cox, Appalachian State
51.1: DeAngelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina

So I guess 6th worse.

Your first link had 3 execs picking zeke compared to 2 for Cook. And your second link says Fournette broke the most tackles in 2015, not cook. So what? 

And I disagree if you think Cook is a better prospect. And I believe you're in the minority with that opinion.  Not a good blocker, fumbles, shoulder injury, had like 3 arrests. Zeke Elliott was a complete back. Good at everything literally. 

9 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Below are the career offensive fumble rates for the top running back prospects in the 2017 NFL Draft class, broken down into five categories:

Elite (150 or better)

856.0: Kareem Hunt, Toledo
434.0: Joseph Yearby, Miami (Fla.)
266.5: De'Veon Smith, Michigan
243.7: Christian McCaffrey, Stanford
168.0: Elijah McGuire, Louisiana-Lafayette
157.2: Jamaal Williams, BYU

Above Average (125-149)

148.2: Wayne Gallman, Clemson
136.0: Brian Hill, Wyoming
129.6: Matthew Dayes, N.C. State
124.7: Tarean Folston, Notre Dame

Average (100-124)

120.8: Samaje Perine, Oklahoma
115.9: Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State
109.6: Devine Redding, Indiana

Below Average (75-99)

99.7: James Conner, Pittsburgh
96.6: Tarik Cohen, North Carolina A&T
86.4: Corey Clement, Wisconsin
82.1: Leonard Fournette, LSU
81.0: Aaron Jones, UTEP
79.0: T.J. Logan, North Carolina
78.5: Elijah Hood, North Carolina

Red Flag (Worse than 75)

74.9: Jeremy McNichols, Boise State
74.3: D'Onta Foreman, Texas
73.0: Joe Mixon, Oklahoma
71.0: Alvin Kamara, Tennessee
69.8: Curtis Samuel, Ohio State
65.4: Taquan Mizzell, Virginia
63.8: Dalvin Cook, Florida State
57.7: Boom Williams, Kentucky
56.3: Justin Davis, USC
54.3: Marlon Mack, South Florida
52.2: Marcus Cox, Appalachian State
51.1: DeAngelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina

So I guess 6th worse.

Your first link had 3 execs picking zeke compared to 2 for Cook. And your second link says Fournette broke the most tackles in 2015, not cook. So what? 

And I disagree if you think Cook is a better prospect. And I believe you're in the minority with that opinion.  Not a good blocker, fumbles, shoulder injury, had like 3 arrests. Zeke Elliott was a complete back. Good at everything literally. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-draft-which-running-backs-raise-red-flags-as-potential-fumblers/amp/?client=safari 

Just think sources need cited.

I personally would go for the person Meyer said "was the best player he has ever seen without the ball."

6 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Would just be plain dumb to pass on Fournette if he was available at our pick. 

wow, id.iot is censored!?

No it wouldn't be. Taking a low value skill position when a high value defender(and huge need) is available is dumb.   And yes it is censored, I just found that out like 2 days ago lol.

55 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No it wouldn't be. Taking a low value skill position when a high value defender(and huge need) is available is dumb.   And yes it is censored, I just found that out like 2 days ago lol.

It all depends on what defenders are still on the board. This is all hypothetical until we are on the clock so we won't know for sure until the .