Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't see how anyone could pick the 49ers job over the Colts.

I'm wondering if a prospective Colts GM might be worried that they're only keeping the seat warm until Manning arrives in a year or two -- or how disruptive it will be if Manning comes in higher in the FO hierarchy.

I don't expect this to happen, but somebody like Polian would make sense as a short term GM and mentor to Manning if it's likely he will be in the FO in a year or two.

This would be in the back of my mind if I were a GM candidate.

6 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I'm wondering if a prospective Colts GM might be worried that they're only keeping the seat warm until Manning arrives in a year or two -- or how disruptive it will be if Manning comes in higher in the FO hierarchy.

I don't expect this to happen, but somebody like Polian would make sense as a short term GM and mentor to Manning if it's likely he will be in the FO in a year or two.

This would be in the back of my mind if I were a GM candidate.

Or Manning just gives them an easy out option at GM. Let him be VP of Football Ops but not have any drafting power. If you need a change at GM in the future just shuffle responsibilities and let Manning be in charge of the draft and players.

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just read a StampedeBlue article that brought up a good point (and I'm not a big fan of StampedeBlue). A potentially bigger issue than Pagano -- since I think Pagano is on his last leg anyways -- is the Manning issue. Irsay evidently wants Manning to be involved, maybe in a high level executive / football czar-type position, like Elway originally had in Denver. You could take the Colts GM position with the expectation that you're running football ops, for the most part, and then wind up working for Manning within a year or two. And if you're using the Elway/Broncos situation as a model, the GM was gone two years after Elway signed on.

To me, that's a bigger problem. I think the Pagano issue is easily resolved, one way or the other. But if you're going to bring in a football czar above me, am I going to be marginalized by someone who wasn't part of the decision to hire me? Unlike the head coach question, you have no say in that person's employment, as they are a superior. Will I eventually be replaced? The last thing the Colts need is an uncertain hierarchy, and if I'm considering the GM job, I would want to know exactly what the plans are, who I will be reporting to, etc. 

Very Interesting.  It's hard to believe we would tinker around with an uncertain hierarchy and coaching when all the while, Lucks remaining years are whittling away, and in those years, I would think we would want as much stability as possible. Makes me very curious as to what could materialize in the coming weeks.  I hope it's a solid long-term plan but I'm having some doubt.

37 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Colts.com article says Polian is conferring with Irsay about the new GM spot.  Bill isn't taking it, he is helping him pick it.  

Jim must have taken my advice lol. I suggested awhile back that he should do this after I witnessed how the new Titans GM Jon Robinson was hired and how Amy Adams Strunk, owner, seeked out advice from former successful Titans GM Floyd Reese. 

It all depends on who the next GM is, I suppose, but if you think you are going to make a break from this defense, now is the time to do it, and that means moving on from Chuck.  Currently, you have little worth keeping long term on this defense.  Louis Riddick alluded to this earlier as to one of the problems here.  Why, for a year, have the new GM use your cap space and draft picks to fill out Chuck's defense, if you suspect Chuck won't be here long term and/or the new GM would prefer to run a different scheme?  

Worst case scenario, IMO, is if Raye gets hired as GM. Last thing we need is one of Pagano's buddies lowering the standards of this team on the GM side. It'll make Pagano even more complacent, lazy, and comfortable to the point where he'll go through the motions and regress even further, and he won't get fired for it. 

The GM needs to be someone that can draft solid players on defense, and will give us an influx of talent this year in both FA and the draft. He needs to push Pagano to the limit and force him to start fast and be consistent. Figure out how you want to build this team, take its strengths, and work around them.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

The more I read about George Paton, the more I'm impressed. He's helped build that defense and talented roster Minnesota has, while also orchestrating beneficial trades and maneuvering in the draft.

Sounds like the guy we need to hire. I'm not on the up and up too much on GM's besides the elite ones, so this definitely sounds nice from my point of view. Exactly what we need.

2 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

Very Interesting.  It's hard to believe we would tinker around with an uncertain hierarchy and coaching when all the while, Lucks remaining years are whittling away, and in those years, I would think we would want as much stability as possible. Makes me very curious as to what could materialize in the coming weeks.  I hope it's a solid long-term plan but I'm having some doubt.

Luck is just getting started. I'm not anywhere near anxious about his years whittling away. But moving forward, yes, stability is critical. Nobody wants the Colts to have to change leadership again.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Worst case scenario, IMO, is if Raye gets hired as GM. Last thing we need is one of Pagano's buddies lowering the standards of this team on the GM side. It'll make Pagano even more complacent, lazy, and comfortable to the point where he'll go through the motions and regress even further, and he won't get fired for it. 

The GM needs to be someone that can draft solid players on defense, and will give us an influx of talent this year in both FA and the draft. He needs to push Pagano to the limit and force him to start fast and be consistent. Figure out how you want to build this team, take its strengths, and work around them.

who told you he was Paganos "buddy"? You guys seem fond of tossing this word around. When did he become his buddy?

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How do you reach any of these conclusions? How do you know Jimmy Raye isn't a great personnel guy with high standards?

In what way has Pagano ever shown himself to be lazy? He might not be a very good coach, but he's not lazy, and there's no reason to think he is.

There's no reason to think he'd be complacent or comfortable, either. He's on notice. Nobody has given him a vote of confidence, and Irsay has carefully evaluated his performance after each of the last two seasons. The season prior, he declined to give him a long term contract extension. 

Lastly, there's no reason to think that Raye would eagerly hitch his wagon to Pagano, who is more of a sinking ship than a rising star at this point. 

I don't understand people being so unwilling to even give Raye a chance. Irsay moved on from Grigson for a reason, and he said he thinks the organization needs a new direction. If he thinks Raye would just be a continuation of what Grigson was doing, he won't give Raye the job. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't understand people being so unwilling to even give Raye a chance. Irsay moved on from Grigson for a reason, and he said he thinks the organization needs a new direction. If he thinks Raye would just be a continuation of what Grigson was doing, he won't give Raye the job. 

Same here.

I have seen it mentioned by multiple media members (local and national) that Jimmy Raye is highly respected in the Colts and throughout the league. That doesn't mean he would be a good GM but it's certainly something you like to hear. It seems assumed that Raye must have agreed with decisions the Colts made but I highly doubt that was the case.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

How do you reach any of these conclusions? How do you know Jimmy Raye isn't a great personnel guy with high standards?

In what way has Pagano ever shown himself to be lazy? He might not be a very good coach, but he's not lazy, and there's no reason to think he is.

There's no reason to think he'd be complacent or comfortable, either. He's on notice. Nobody has given him a vote of confidence, and Irsay has carefully evaluated his performance after each of the last two seasons. The season prior, he declined to give him a long term contract extension. 

Lastly, there's no reason to think that Raye would eagerly hitch his wagon to Pagano, who is more of a sinking ship than a rising star at this point. 

200w.gif

Let me ask people this: if you were, say, a 49ers fan, and the 49ers were interviewing Raye, how would you view him?  You would judge him in the same we we are judging the Vikings or Seahawks candidates.  People are looking at Seattle's O-line, their D, the Vikings D and making a determination as to whether this person would be a good candidate or not.  I'm sure it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find a post on a 49ers site asking:  Why would we want this guy?  Look at Indy's mess of a roster.  He was part of the process there.  

We would be saying the same thing.

Do Grigson and Raye share a brain?  No, but if, as Irsay said, you want some fresh ideas and a truly fresh start, to me that is someone who hasn't been part of this process for the past 4 years.  

4 hours ago, krunk said:

who told you he was Paganos "buddy"? You guys seem fond of tossing this word around. When did he become his buddy?

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Pagano has endorsed Raye and wants him as the new GM, that tells me right there they have some kind of decent relationship or Pagano wouldn't want him as GM. It also tells me that it would give him job security and Raye wouldn't fire him if the new GM was allowed to choose his coach. The reason Pagano is endorsing Raye is to surround himself with someone he likes this time so he will be more comfortable at work and so he guaranteed not to get fired until Irsay actually does it, which will be 1 more year if Raye gets hired. 

I know for a fact when you work with friends in a friendly work enviornment, you give less than your full effort, because the expectations are lower for you and you get special treatment. If Pagano is working under Raye, there's no pressure to perform beyond what you've been doing. Pagano won't get fired, he can't beat the Pats and Steelers anyway, so just do what you been doing. If Luck carries you, great, if not, he's retiring anyway after he gets fired. I had a chance to work under my best friend for good pay, and didn't do it, because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. I wouldn't of worked hard under him, or took anything he said seriously. Neither will Pagano toward Raye if he gets hired as GM. 

You thought there were 0 expectations before, just wait, you'll be begging for Grigson back if the Super friends take over. No discipline, no expectations, no one taking responsibility for wins and losses (except the Pagano speech of "we'll get em next time and we have to correct our mistakes" which he never does.) You thought it was a madhouse before, it could get a lot worse, and I hope Irsay doesn't make a huge mistake.

18 minutes ago, #12. said:

Let me ask people this: if you were, say, a 49ers fan, and the 49ers were interviewing Raye, how would you view him?  You would judge him in the same we we are judging the Vikings or Seahawks candidates.  People are looking at Seattle's O-line, their D, the Vikings D and making a determination as to whether this person would be a good candidate or not.  I'm sure it wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find a post on a 49ers site asking:  Why would we want this guy?  Look at Indy's mess of a roster.  He was part of the process there.  

Do Grigson and Raye share a brain?  No, but if, as Irsay said, you want some fresh ideas and a truly fresh start, to me that is someone who hasn't been part of this process for the past 4 years.  

Were you following football when the Chargers were one of the most talented teams in the league? Raye was with the Chargers then.  Ladanian Tomlinson, Michael Turner and Darren Sproles were all on the same team at the same time. (The Colts could have used just one of those players the past few years; imagine having all 3 on the same team!) Raye is credited with bringing an unknown basketball player in Antonio Gates to SD, an outside-the-box type of move (a "fresh idea") that other teams are now trying. According to reports, he was involved in encouraging the team to take Tomlinson over Michael Vick. They got Tomlinson in the 1st round and Drew Brees in the 2nd. 

To the first bolded, check out some of the Seahawks' recent drafts. They are not great. Are you going to blame the assistant GMs there? Check out the Vikings 2016 draft -- it may be the worst of any team last year. We had a historically bad OL last year. (You would probably say we had "a mess of a roster" on the offensive side.) Are you going to eliminate George Paton from consideration because of that? 

I hope that Jimmy Raye, for his sake, documented his ideas and desired picks throughout his time with Colts so he can show what he would have done if he had been the GM, w/o throwing Grigson under the bus.  

The talent on those Charger teams was unreal.  We were a really good team back then and we couldn't handle them. 

36 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Were you following football when the Chargers were one of the most talented teams in the league? Raye was with the Chargers then.  Ladanian Tomlinson, Michael Turner and Darren Sproles were all on the same team at the same time. (The Colts could have used just one of those players the past few years; imagine having all 3 on the same team!) Raye is credited with bringing an unknown basketball player in Antonio Gates to SD, an outside-the-box type of move (a "fresh idea") that other teams are now trying. According to reports, he was involved in encouraging the team to take Tomlinson over Michael Vick. They got Tomlinson in the 1st round and Drew Brees in the 2nd. 

To the first bolded, check out some of the Seahawks' recent drafts. They are not great. Are you going to blame the assistant GMs there? Check out the Vikings 2016 draft -- it may be the worst of any team last year. We had a historically bad OL last year. (You would probably say we had "a mess of a roster" on the offensive side.) Are you going to eliminate George Paton from consideration because of that? 

You just wasted a lot of energy.  I have given no opinion on Paton or Seattle's candidates, but if you are comparing recent times, there's quite a difference between what one might consider a bad draft in Seattle and a bad Grigson era draft.  In fact, 2013, the year Raye arrived here, might be the worst offseason in the history of the franchise.

Then there's synopsis of Raye's time in San Diego you referenced.  It's a resume fluff piece... as if the guy was single handedly responsible for all of it.  He's given credit for LaDanian Tomlinson as if he discovered some unknown player.  No one identifies or discovers the #5 pick in the draft.

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

You just wasted a lot of energy.  I have given no opinion on Paton or Seattle's candidates, but if you are comparing recent times, there's quite a difference between what one might consider a bad draft in Seattle and a bad Grigson era draft.  In fact, 2013, the year Raye arrived here, might be the worst offseason in the history of the franchise.

Then there's synopsis of Raye's time in San Diego you referenced.  It's a resume fluff piece... as if the guy was single handedly responsible for all of it.  He's given credit for LaDanian Tomlinson as if he discovered some unknown player.  No one identifies or discovers the #5 pick in the draft.

Yeah I agree totally if you don't think Raye has a hand in our current situation you are delusional... I really think he does have a solid background but I just don't like hiring a guy who has an emotional attachment to a current situation it seems so easy to cloud your judgement so I want a New guy with a new philosophy 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

You did reference Paton and the Seattle guys to compare with Raye. Here is what you wrote:

2 hours ago, #12. said:

So, my point was that if you (or 49ers fans in your example) are giving the Vikings Asst GM and the Seahawks FO guys the benefit of the doubt, why not give the same to Raye.

Lol. It is noteworthy how you dismissed all those other talented players that Raye had a hand in drafting. Read what your fellow Colts fan LockeDown wrote above about the talent on that team. Among some of the names:  Eric Weddle, Shawn Merriman, Quenton Jammer, Drayton Florence, Brees, Luis Castillo, Vincent Jackson, Gates, Sproles, Rivers, Michael Turner and so many more who I cannot remember at this time. (For a frame of reference, the Chargers level of talent was comparable to what the Atlanta Falcons have now, if not better.)

Well, Chuck put his support 100% behind Raye and they've been referred to as having a good relationship. I don't think it's too out there to wonder if they're friends and if he'd be too lenient on Chuck during his evaluation year.

I think Raye III is a pretty good candidate, I think there are better looking candidates though, but that's what I'm most worried about too.

And for the people who don't think Pagano being here for a year is an issue, how is the GM supposed to go about FA and the draft? Is he going for guys that fit in Pagano's vision or guys he wants for his future vision?

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano has endorsed Raye and wants him as the new GM, that tells me right there they have some kind of decent relationship or Pagano wouldn't want him as GM. It also tells me that it would give him job security and Raye wouldn't fire him if the new GM was allowed to choose his coach. The reason Pagano is endorsing Raye is to surround himself with someone he likes this time so he will be more comfortable at work and so he guaranteed not to get fired until Irsay actually does it, which will be 1 more year if Raye gets hired. 

I know for a fact when you work with friends in a friendly work enviornment, you give less than your full effort, because the expectations are lower for you and you get special treatment. If Pagano is working under Raye, there's no pressure to perform beyond what you've been doing. Pagano won't get fired, he can't beat the Pats and Steelers anyway, so just do what you been doing. If Luck carries you, great, if not, he's retiring anyway after he gets fired. I had a chance to work under my best friend for good pay, and didn't do it, because I didn't want to ruin our friendship. I wouldn't of worked hard under him, or took anything he said seriously. Neither will Pagano toward Raye if he gets hired as GM. 

You thought there were 0 expectations before, just wait, you'll be begging for Grigson back if the Super friends take over. No discipline, no expectations, no one taking responsibility for wins and losses (except the Pagano speech of "we'll get em next time and we have to correct our mistakes" which he never does.) You thought it was a madhouse before, it could get a lot worse, and I hope Irsay doesn't make a huge mistake.

Come on Jared.    So how do you explain Polian and Dungy getting along? Did that make them worse at their jobs?  No on the contrary it made them better.  If you agree with somebodies philosophy and how they approach things it doesn't mean that they in turn owe you job security and a slouch lifestyle.  What it means is the two of them can go about doing their jobs better as opposed to consistently fighting with somebody who disagrees with you on every single line item from running the team all the way down to personnel. It's always great to be on the same page if you can have it.  If that relationship was about anything else other than being successful I'm sure Irsay would run that out of town with the quickness.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

:pokerface:

Just silly and nonsense.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Come on Jared.    So how do you explain Polian and Dungy getting along? Did that make them worse at their jobs?  No on the contrary it made them better.  If you agree with somebodies philosophy and how they approach things it doesn't mean that they in turn owe you job security and a slouch lifestyle.  What it means is the two of them can go about doing their jobs better as opposed to consistently fighting with somebody who disagrees with you on every single line item from running the team all the way down to personnel. 

I know for a fact that Polian and Dungy were both great at their jobs and they benefited off each other's success. Pagano isn't good at what he does, Raye I admit I don't know a lot about, but if Pagano endorses him, there's obviously an ulterior motive to it. Whether it's friendship, job security, comfort, or a combination of the three, Pagano wants a guy he knows so the pressure is off of him this year. I want a guy outside the Colts organization that brings fresh ideas, comes from a winning culture, can draft defense, and knows talent. IMO, the worst thing we can do is keep someone from the old regime as GM. It's not the same as Grigson, but it's part of the regime that brought us so many draft busts and poor players. There are plenty of better options out there. If Irsay is serious about doing a complete 180*, then he can't replace Grigson with one of Pagano's friends from within the Colts organization. We have to get someone with a vision that will lay down the law, show no favortism, and turn the team around. I want Pagano to feel threatened that he could get fired if he underperforms, not feel safe because his friend is the GM.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I know for a fact that Polian and Dungy were both great at their jobs and they benefited off each other's success. Pagano isn't good at what he does, Raye I admit I don't know a lot about, but if Pagano endorses him, there's obviously an ulterior motive to it. Whether it's friendship, job security, comfort, or a combination of the three, Pagano wants a guy he knows so the pressure is off of him this year. I want a guy outside the Colts organization that brings fresh ideas, comes from a winning culture, can draft defense, and knows talent. IMO, the worst thing we can do is keep someone from the old regime as GM. It's not the same as Grigson, but it's part of the regime that brought us so many draft busts and poor players. There are plenty of better options out there. If Irsay is serious about doing a complete 180*, then he can't replace Grigson with one of Pagano's friends from within the Colts organization. We have to get someone with a vision that will lay down the law, show no favortism, and turn the team around. I want Pagano to feel threatened that he could get fired if he underperforms, not feel safe because his friend is the GM.

Why is there an ulterior motive?  Do you know when these comments were made?

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh I'm sure it's got nothing to do with Jimmy Rayes resume right?

Pagano endorsed him, he wouldn't endorse him unless he knew something. If he was confident his job is safe, he wouldn't care who the GM is. Instead, he's trying to get someone in that will keep him as coach and won't hold him responsible for being mediocre.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Pagano endorsed him, he wouldn't endorse him unless he knew something. If he was confident his job is safe, he wouldn't care who the GM is. Instead, he's trying to get someone in that will keep him as coach and won't hold him responsible for being mediocre.

Did he make an open statement saying "I endorse Jimmy Raye for the Job".  No these were comments made by media people who give no account as to when they learned this.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh I'm sure it's got nothing to do with Jimmy Rayes resume right?

I don't believe so. Pagano should have no say in who the GM is. He wants someone with familiarity around him. At worst, he wants a buddy for a friendly working enviornment because he didn't have it with Grigson, at worst, he looking out for himself, and wants someone that won't fire him. Al the guys on Grigson's list are qualified, Pagano just wants the one he's familiar with.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't believe so. Pagano should have no say in who the GM is. He wants someone with familiarity around him. At worst, he wants a buddy for a friendly working enviornment because he didn't have it with Grigson, at worst, he looking out for himself, and wants someone that won't fire him. Al the guys on Grigson's list are qualified, Pagano just wants the one he's familiar with.

Who in the heck told you Pagano jumped up and said "Give me Jimmy Raye!"?

Did he make an open statement saying "I endorse Jimmy Raye for the Job".  No these were comments made by media people who give no account as to when they learned this.

I hate to say it, but I will never believe anything Pagano says until it happens. He never backs up what he says. He says he'll correct mistakes, never happens. He gives interviews, most of the time it's just rubbish. He has no credibility. At a time where he's desperate to keep his job, he'll lie and deceive everyone to save face. Just the fact that he gives the same old press conference every time we lose a game, then next game we start slow again and struggle before making a comeback in the 2nd half and possibly winning gives me the impression that he's satisfied with how he coaches, and he wants someone like Raye that's a friend and won't put pressure on him to succeed.

Media may be lying, but I believe them over someone who has more reason to lie in Pagano. 

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said: