Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything good comes from a loss against the Jags

Yoshinator

37 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

While it's always nice to pick as early as possible, we need to remember that the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks, Packers, and other recent perennial playoff teams, draft near the bottom of the first round almost every year.

And despite that fact, they continue to improve their rosters.  The Patriots are obviously the best example, as they continue to accumulate talent on both sides of the ball irrespective of their less-than-stellar draft positions.

Furthermore, volume of picks (i.e., the number of draft selections a team has) is much, much more valuable than draft position.

Teams like the Patriots do a great job of accumulating picks, which helps them avoid disastrous draft classes that deplete roster depth later on.

Food for thought.

Specifically as it relates to this post, I would contend the exact opposite.  I think the rosters of all those teams you mentioned have actually gotten weaker.  The thing all those teams have in common is franchise level QB's.  And an all time great coach with the Pats.  Their respective rosters have some good to really good players throughout but overall, I believe they have had better rosters in past years.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree with this, with two thoughts. First, Grigson isn't as known for getting defensive picks as someone like Belichick. We haven't used our picks right for the most part, whether they've been early, mid, or late picks. Second, having an earlier pick actually allows us to get more Volume of picks. It'll be the difference of moving up to 10-12, or moving down to 15-16. That alone is worth a 3rd round pick, which can be worth a starter if done right. I can see going for it if we had playoff hopes, but we can't even backdoor in at this point. The future is what's best to go for.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.  Although I'd argue that Grigson has gotten better with the defensive picks recently, as he has hit on a few: Anderson, Geathers, Green, Parry, and Ridgeway. 

Those are all solid starters (except for maybe Parry, and perhaps, Ridgeway - both play out of necessity at this point).  Ridgeway has far more upside than Parry.  Green was a bit of a reach and was thrust into action due to a depleted secondary, but he has elite speed, athleticism, and has shown willingness to be physical near the line of scrimmage.

37 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Specifically as it relates to this post, I would contend the exact opposite.  I think the rosters of all those teams you mentioned have actually gotten weaker.  The thing all those teams have in common is franchise level QB's.  And an all time great coach with the Pats.  Their respective rosters have some good to really good players throughout but overall, I believe they have had better rosters in past years.

New England has the 8th best total defense in the NFL, despite trading Jamie Collins earlier in the year.

Furthermore, New England has the 5th best offense in the NFL.  That's pretty balanced, and pretty impressively balanced, at that.

Pittsburgh?  7th best offense.  9th best defense. 

Seattle?  7th best defense.  15th best offense (so, top half of the league). 

You don't manage top 10 rankings in total offense/defense without a good roster and good depth.  Yeah, coaching helps, but Tomlin is no Hoodie.

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

So a better spot in the draft is a guarantee we will select a better player than if we finish a couple of spots later. And that better player will work better for us, even although none of these guys have played a snap in pro football. That is some crystal ball you have there......

Are you really this stupid?    Any intelligent person knows that drafting 10th in every round gives you better options than drafting 18th in every round.   If you have a list of 20 players that you would like, the odds of them still being there is better. 

On 12/27/2016 at 3:32 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I believe Luck went 2-5 in games he started last year. He was nothing but a burden to us. I agree most teams aren't beating NE and Pitt, but most teams don't have Andrew Luck and high expectations. There is a lot of Variance in football, but we are in a regression now. We are actually getting worse. The division is getting better. Pagano can't develop defensive players. If things get worse, it's better than mediocre. We have Luck, we have half the equation. I truly believe any coach can win 6 games with a healthy Luck. Anything but mediocre is fine with me. Either we get elite talent in the draft, or we improve our coaching and give NE and Pitt tough battles. Worst you can be is the irrelevent middle.

Jared, I'm with you. We've been making excuses for this version of the Colts for 5 seasons. We didn't win this year because of this and we didn't win that year because of that. Even when we did make the playoffs we were sweeping the division while barely going .500 outside of the division and still rooting for Houston to lose enough games so we could back into the playoffs only for the Patriots to beat the hell out of us. 

There is no pride in this season. We all expected this season to be tougher because we thought the division was getting better. The division did not get better and yet we still suck. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Are you really this stupid?    Any intelligent person knows that drafting 10th in every round gives you better options than drafting 18th in every round.   If you have a list of 20 players that you would like, the odds of them still being there is better. 

Sorry about this post.   My comment comes across allot more rude than intended.

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Sorry about this post.   My comment comes across allot more rude than intended.

Don't worry, I'm not that sensitive. Thanks for the follow up. Of course the odds are better, but have you seen our top picks over the last 10 years. Excluding Luck and Kelly(?), where we draft guarantees nothing. But then again, you already know that......

13 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Don't worry, I'm not that sensitive. Thanks for the follow up. Of course the odds are better, but have you seen our top picks over the last 10 years. Excluding Luck and Kelly(?), where we draft guarantees nothing. But then again, you already know that......

That's exactly why I want to improve the odds.  

At this point it doesn't matter. But if I do get to watch the game I would like to see them play well. If I am working and don't get to watch then I could care less. I guess I'm just selfish that way.

As far as moving up in the draft order I don't think it matters much. Grigson couldn't recognize talent if it jumped up and bit him in the nose.