Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Schottenheimer

DougDew

14 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Good question. I don't know the answer to it but Ill wait and see if anyone else does. Still can't run the ball though which is a big concern moving forward nor can we seem to develop a screen play.

We ran pretty well though

6 minutes ago, achcolts said:

We ran pretty well though

No we really didn't. In a 41 point production, Gore had 78 yards and a 4 point ypc avg, which isn't bad but I would have expected we could have pounded that to a better avg and/or breaking that 100 yard mark. And I am aware they took him out in the 4th quarter. I don't believe a 3.5 ypc overall avg in a game like this is considered a good running game and there were way too many 1-2 yard pile ups. I am not really complaining about the game at all, I am just pointing out that for a big win, I assumed we would have finally been able to impose a run game that felt like we could run or pass anytime we wanted after we broke their will. They still played the run remarkably well in a huge loss. I think our run game has been so dismal over the years, we feel that this is a good running game. It may have been for this team idk. We have more work to do to get that run game moving forward. Can't wait to see those games where we have multiple 10+ yard chunk runs and a few to the house runs.

15 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

No we really didn't. In a 41 point production, Gore had 78 yards and a 4 point ypc avg, which isn't bad but I would have expected we could have pounded that to a better avg and/or breaking that 100 yard mark. And I am aware they took him out in the 4th quarter. I don't believe a 3.5 ypc overall avg in a game like this is considered a good running game and there were way too many 1-2 yard pile ups. I am not really complaining about the game at all, I am just pointing out that for a big win, I assumed we would have finally been able to impose a run game that felt like we could run or pass anytime we wanted after we broke their will. They still played the run remarkably well in a huge loss. I think our run game has been so dismal over the years, we feel that this is a good running game. It may have been for this team idk. We have more work to do to get that run game moving forward. Can't wait to see those games where we have multiple 10+ yard chunk runs and a few to the house runs.

While it's not great for Gore statistically,  it's good for the team.  They need to run just well enough so that the defense respects it and play action is effective.  And they did that last night.  

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

The Jets have one of the best D-Lines in the NFL, so it's not a surprise that we didn't have gaudy run stats. It also doesn't help that we kept throwing it, going for the jugular to finish them off. I think using the run to set up the play action was great and extremely effective. We're trying to avoid the "get a lead, start unsuccessfully running the ball every down, lose the lead" mindset that has cost us a few games this season.

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I believe Chud calls the plays from the box, sends them to Brian who relays it to Luck.

Why?  The league brought in a new rule where calls to the field can be made from coaches in the box.  I don't see why he'd have to relay it to Schotty, who would then relay it to Luck.  Chud can relay it directly to Luck, as is my understanding

37 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why?  The league brought in a new rule where calls to the field can be made from coaches in the box.  I don't see why he'd have to relay it to Schotty, who would then relay it to Luck.  Chud can relay it directly to Luck, as is my understanding

Honestly, when I started this thread, I forgot that's what Chud did last year.  IIRC, the reasoning then was that the team was still using pep's terminology and play book. 

Its interesting that the NFL allows plays to be called from the box and yet Schotty was relaying the play into Luck.  He was definitely reading the play card.  maybe Chud says "play #51 and Schotty sends the technical terminology into Luck.  Still, why do it that way?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Honestly, when I started this thread, I forgot that's what Chud did last year.  IIRC, the reasoning then was that the team was still using pep's terminology and play book. 

Its interesting that the NFL allows plays to be called from the box and yet Schotty was relaying the play into Luck.  He was definitely reading the play card.  maybe Chud says "play #51 and Schotty sends the technical terminology into Luck.  Still, why do it that way?

It's possible both Chud and Schotty have a copy of the same play sheet and they're discussing it.  Chud calls a play, Schotty notices a tendency with the defense and he tells Chud, Chud takes it into consideration for the next play, etc.

11 hours ago, Jdubu said:

yea, i definitely agree with you, expected more in a 41 point production for sure.  im considering that it was against one of the better run Ds, let alone Dlines, and i think we did good enough (obviously). luck didnt crack 300 yards either. i will say that the pass blocking was significantly better than run blocking though. alot of those 1-2 yarders is credit to jets dline and poor run blocking or just getting beat. 

edit: just realized we had ~140 rushing yards. doesnt matter to me how that was accumulated :D

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

It looked like he was calling the plays against the Jets.  Was he and does he normally do that?

No.      He's not calling plays.

He's on the head-set with Chud and they're both looking at the same play calling sheet.    Chud is upstairs in the Press Box.       Chud calls the plays to Schottenheimer who relays them into Luck on his headset.

Chud is calling the plays.       Schott is the middle man.

3 hours ago, achcolts said:

yea, i definitely agree with you, expected more in a 41 point production for sure.  im considering that it was against one of the better run Ds, let alone Dlines, and i think we did good enough (obviously). luck didnt crack 300 yards either. i will say that the pass blocking was significantly better than run blocking though. alot of those 1-2 yarders is credit to jets dline and poor run blocking or just getting beat. 

edit: just realized we had ~140 rushing yards. doesnt matter to me how that was accumulated :D

I kind of take into account the Jets have an excellent run stuffing line. I'm not at all boiling mad over the run game as we did win the game big. I was just pointing out to someone that for a sizable lead like this, I didn't think 140 yards was considered a great run producing game but it was enough to win this game handidly.  I did however point out the jets seemed to mail this game in from the outset and when we play a team in the hunt, we have to run block better than we did against the Jets or we won't win, or at least we have have the regular struggle type of win off of Lucks arm and 47 pass attempts. 

I just didnt feel we really ran all that different than we had in the past, we just had it longer and more attempts to get the 140. I hoped for a few gashing runs of 20+  yards. With a game as well as this one went, a man can dream can't he :rock:

Anybody feel that it would be possible that IF Grigs and Chuck are let go at the end of the season, which is no guarantee at this point, especially if the colts do win the South, that we could see Chud as HC and Shotty as OC?  I could definitely see that scenario, but I think it would be up to the new staff, no?

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

My fault. Sorry... You're right, that was last year.