Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible new GM/HC Candidates NOT COMPLAINING about current HC/GM - 2017 GM Prospects (Merge)

WarGhost21

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Make what?

the rest of you statement is just silly.  Yeah,  just hate both on a personal level for some unknown sinister reason....

Nothing I said was silly. I've seen you downplay or dismiss every single winning season they've had so having them fired can't have much to do with the win loss column. And you know exactly what I mean by make it so dont play dumb. You just don't like them no matter the case.

I still like Decosta. I know he doesn't want to leave but who knows how things will change.

At HC I still like Gruden. He's the only guy that could take Luck to his full potential. Plus he can actually coach and lead a team. All you have to do is not do what Tampa did and put him in a terrible situation and give him a GM that will draft players for his schemes.

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

Nothing I said was silly. I've seen you downplay or dismiss every single winning season they've had so having them fired can't have much to do with the win loss column. And you know exactly what I mean by make it so dont play dumb.

I don't know what you mean by making it.  The playoffs? The SB?  Consistently playing well?

Do,you like the state of the colts roster going on 5 years?  How many former general managers, coaches, players have to point out what I have been saying for a few years now....Grigson isn't good at his job.

Pagano's team have been inconsistent and undisciplined.  He continually makes poor on the field decisions.  Many of his coaching hires have been questionable.

i want the colts to strive for greatness....and I don't think either of those two can get the colts there.  what's difficult to understand about that?

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Yall might as well quit.  Pagano and Grigson aren't going anywhere.

That's what I'm afraid of. I won't lie. 

44 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't know what you mean by making it.  The playoffs? The SB?  Consistently playing well?

Do,you like the state of the colts roster going on 5 years?  How many former general managers, coaches, players have to point out what I have been saying for a few years now....Grigson isn't good at his job.

Pagano's team have been inconsistent and undisciplined.  He continually makes poor on the field decisions.  Many of his coaching hires have been questionable.

i want the colts to strive for greatness....and I don't think either of those two can get the colts there.  what's difficult to understand about that?

Look, I have profound respect for both krunk & BOTT & I will never slam either poster ever. krunk has probably forgotten more football then I will ever know. I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but I can figure out quickly who knows what the hades they are talking about. 

Yeah, I could see Jimmy retaining both men for 1 more year just to see if this bad year is an anomaly or a trend in the wrong direction. But, I also agree with BOTT is correct when he says a lack of discipline is a direct reflection on Pagano. It is. 

I know what I would do, but I'm not signing the big checks either. Jimmy, I hope you know what you're doing man. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

That's what I'm afraid of. I won't lie. 

Look, I have profound respect for both krunk & BOTT & I will never slam either poster ever. krunk has probably forgotten more football then I will ever know. I'm not the smart guy in the room, but I can figure it quickly who knows what the hades they are talking about. 

Yeah, I could see Jimmy retaining both men for 1 more year just to see if this bad year is an anomaly or a trend in the wrong direction. But, I also agree with BOTT is correct when he says a lack of discipline is a direct reflection on Pagano. It is. 

I know what I would do, but I'm not signing the big checks either. Jimmy, I hope you know what you're doing man. 

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with Chuck coming back as long as Grigson was canned,  He is the bigger problem.

edit....on second thought, I would hate it if Chuck is brought back.

On October 31, 2016 at 8:53 AM, WarGhost21 said:

Their have been countless threads calling for the heads of Pagano and Grigson, yet only 1 has potential HC replacements and none have GM replacements. Here's a list of people we could look at next year if Irsay decides to part ways with Grigson. Who do you like, and what do you think will ultimately happen?

Chris Ballard – director of football operations – Kansas City Chiefs. 

The Chiefs do usually  assemble a talented roster. But, none of that success really took hold until Andy Reid was named their HC. I liked Marty S. too. My comment was not meant to dismiss his success at Arrowhead Stadium either. 

I like   Marc Ross – director of player evaluation – New York Giants too. But, I will openly admit I'm biased toward big blue as well. Hey, at least SW1 owns my bias man. I deserve credit for that. 

On 10/31/2016 at 7:44 AM, ar7 said:

Wasn't Nick Caserio rumored to be the guy that Jim Irsay wanted back in 2012? Or maybe it was that he wanted to at least interview him but Caserio turned it down. I can't remember for sure.

I'm not convinced that there is a new GM after this season and I honestly have no idea who the Colts should go after even if they were looking for someone.

I don't think so. I think Erik de Costa from the Ravens is who you're thinking of. He's turned down interview requests every year since then. He's the replacement for Ozzie Newsome, whenever he hangs it up, and based on what he's said, he's content to wait for however long it takes. I don't think he'll be leaving Baltimore, unless someone really backs up the Brinks truck, and that's probably unlikely happen.

On 10/31/2016 at 9:16 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I would certainly entertain the idea of Duke Tobin, and George Paton. Both of their respective teams have drafted very well over the past 3 or 4 years. If we're going to drop Grigson, I definitely don't want another up and comer. We need someone who knows the job inside and out, and who's up to the challenge of turning this thing around quickly.

Paton is basically what Grigson was in Philly. I don't see how he wouldn't be an up and comer. He does have a few more years of experience than Grigson did...

Tobin is effectively the GM for the Bengals at this point. Like de Costa, he's said he has no desire to leave. Good for the Bengals, because he's doing a great job. He would be on my short list for GM candidates.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I could live with Chuck coming back as long as Grigson was canned,  He is the bigger problem.

edit....on second thought, I would hate it if Chuck is brought back.

I thought about this last night too lol I want Grigson gone more but I eventually came down to still wanting them both gone cause lets face it they both suck lol

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Paton is basically what Grigson was in Philly. I don't see how he wouldn't be an up and comer. He does have a few more years of experience than Grigson did...

Tobin is effectively the GM for the Bengals at this point. Like de Costa, he's said he has no desire to leave. Good for the Bengals, because he's doing a great job. He would be on my short list for GM candidates.

He and Marvin Lewis kind of split GM duties, right?

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He and Marvin Lewis kind of split GM duties, right?

Yeah, they have an unconventional set up there. Mike Brown still oversees the whole thing. Lewis and Tobin are as involved as ever, but Lewis says it's basically Tobin making the calls. They also have a small scouting crew, and they involve their assistant coaches in collegiate and pro scouting more than any other team, as far as I know.

I like Tobin, but if he were the Colts GM, I wouldn't want him to gut the scouting staff and put that responsibility on the coaches. Doesn't matter because he's likely not going anywhere...

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, they have an unconventional set up there. Mike Brown still oversees the whole thing. Lewis and Tobin are as involved as ever, but Lewis says it's basically Tobin making the calls. They also have a small scouting crew, and they involve their assistant coaches in collegiate and pro scouting more than any other team, as far as I know.

I like Tobin, but if he were the Colts GM, I wouldn't want him to gut the scouting staff and put that responsibility on the coaches. Doesn't matter because he's likely not going anywhere...

They've done a really good job drafting over the past few years with the setup that they have, but it hasn't amounted to a single playoff win. I don't really know what to make of that, but I've got to think that if the Colts had the talent on defense that the Bengals have, we'd be the #3 seed in the AFC.

34 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They've done a really good job drafting over the past few years with the setup that they have, but it hasn't amounted to a single playoff win. I don't really know what to make of that, but I've got to think that if the Colts had the talent on defense that the Bengals have, we'd be the #3 seed in the AFC.

To the bolded, I don't think Marvin Lewis is a good head coach. Seems like a Jeff Fisher situation. I think their personnel department is doing fine, though.

Just now, Superman said:

To the bolded, I don't think Marvin Lewis is a good head coach. Seems like a Jeff Fisher situation. I think their personnel department is doing fine, though.

Yep, except Bengals fans seem to really like Lewis. Not sure why. 13 years is such a long time to be a head coach of the same team in the NFL, and that's assuming you've got some hardware to go along with it. Marvin Lewis has NOTHING to show for his tenure in Cincinnati except for a few playoff berths. Imagine how that situation would play with Colts fans, considering we all wanted Pagano fired after missing the playoffs in a season where Luck was injured for 9 games LOL.

21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I still like Decosta. I know he doesn't want to leave but who knows how things will change.

At HC I still like Gruden. He's the only guy that could take Luck to his full potential. Plus he can actually coach and lead a team. All you have to do is not do what Tampa did and put him in a terrible situation and give him a GM that will draft players for his schemes.

Gruden has been out of the game to ling he has even said he wouldn't be a successful coach anymore not even to mention building his staff.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I think the Rams personnel department does a great job on the defensive side of the ball.

But I think they're a spectacular mess on the offensive side of the ball.      Yuk!

And I think it could cost Fisher and maybe even Snead their jobs.........

I've liked Chris Petersen as a coaching candidate for a few years now. He was the head coach at Boise State, then went to Washington, and they're the current Pac 12 leader. I expect them to take USC apart this weekend. He's kind of shrugged off the NFL whenever he's been asked about it, but that doesn't mean he isn't interested. He would be on my short list.