Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's more embarrassing; the team's play or fan's comments?

coltsfeva

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

While so can see where you're coming from, I think it's more complicated. I think in the modern era since people here are just so used to winning and the Colts being good that now that the team is bad and fans are venting the frustrations, people see it as an abundance of whining and complaining when it's honestly normal given the circumstances.

When things are bad you complain or talk about it but until things get better. It's human nature. When gas prices go down people will stop complaining. When the presidential election is over you'll stop hearing about Donald and Hilary as much.

Notice how it wasn't like this 2012-2014? It's because the Colts were winning and appeared to be improving. But even then the moment someone would complain about the running game, Werner, the D, etc... people would immediately rush to defend it. And I think that's the real problem. People who think fandom is linked to some type of super positive, glass half full type of attitude. It's okay to say the team stinks. It's okay to say you think people need to be fired. It's okay to say a player drafted or paid a lot is a bust. But the impression I get is that so many Colts fans are desperate for the Colts to be this standout organization that does everything good and doesn't have really bad low periods like the Lions, Browns, Jaguars, Buccaneers. I know because the most common rhetoric I hear now when people talk about a HC or GM change is "Oh we shouldn't pull the pug so quick, that's how you end up like the Browns".

No one wants to give up on a player that's clearly underwhelming because Colts fans don't ever want to be the team like the Bills with Lynch or the Chargers with Brees. But it's natural and it happens.

I would say the fans who are in constant defense mode are just as frustrating at time. I don't want to come on the board and talk about how we almost won, how it could be worse, how we showed promise,etc...

I want to talk about the real with people who share my frustrations. It makes the tough days easier. I think as a forum everyone needs to stop trying to define fandom as either black or white. It's really something in between. 

Frustrations are understandable.  I'm frustrated with this team as well, and I'm not defending or excusing any one person in the organization for our situation.  But I still see a difference between complaining and whining.  The problem I have with some people being down on this team is not so much the why they are down on it, it's when people are dismissive of contrary opinions.  And that applies to everyone and we're all guilty of it from time to time, some more than others especially during rough seasons.

I agree with a lot of what SkyBane is saying. There's a lot of trollish baiting going around. Only unlike a few other football blogs I visit, people seem to get caught up in it here a lot.

I think the Mods are doing a good job of merging threads. For the excessively negative posts though you just gotta try to ignore and move on, because there are people who are willing to have an actual discussion who voice their problems.

On the flip side though, there are quite a few instances where those posters with actual opinions get unfairly tossed in with the bad eggs. We're all here to talk football and that entails the good and the bad, and when we're playing like we have been it's probably gonna lean toward the latter. That's just the way fandom goes. Only other thing to do is to not feed the trolls which is a given on the internet.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Frustrations are understandable.  I'm frustrated with this team as well, and I'm not defending or excusing any one person in the organization for our situation.  But I still see a difference between complaining and whining.  The problem I have with some people being down on this team is not so much the why they are down on it, it's when people are dismissive of contrary opinions.  And that applies to everyone and we're all guilty of it from time to time, some more than others especially during rough seasons.

Yeah I agree. That's the real problem. No one wants to meet in the middle ground or agree to disagree. You have the defenders who want to defend everything and not admit when something is bad. But then you have people so down that they won't even admit the positives like the people who won't say despite everything, Hilton has played great.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I agree. That's the real problem. No one wants to meet in the middle ground or agree to disagree. You have the defenders who want to defend everything and not admit when something is bad. But then you have people so down that they won't even admit the positives like the people who won't say despite everything, Hilton has played great.

Ugh, Hilton and his drops though.  Goodness.  With how good he's been, he's probably left a 100-150 yards and maybe a TD on the table because of them.  Love him and woulldn't get rid of him, but please man, just catch the ball.

On 10/31/2016 at 2:02 PM, coltsfeva said:

We are ticked off at this team's horrible play this year by my God, can we stop with the personal assaults? (Pagano's an *, Grigson sucks, Irsay is on drugs and various assaults on players).

To say the Colts have "thrown Luck under the bus" and "quit on the team" coming from this fan base is a little hypocritical, judging by all the finger pointing and quitting going on this forum....

Yes, I am quite embarrassed by your comments OP, so that's a very good question.  Let me think on it and get back to you.  Some of us are realists and don't live with our heads in the clouds when it comes to this team.

On 10/31/2016 at 2:48 PM, Jaric said:

Oh by far the play on the field.  Like, not even close.  In fact, the comments on this MB pale in comparison to what's out on the rest of the Internet.  

How did we expect fans of a team who had played garbage football the past two seasons would react?

"Fiddlesticks!  Another thrashing.  Oh well, better not voice my displeasure on the message board..."

Also, Pagano is an butt, Grigson does suck, and Irsay probably is on drugs.  

Yeah, some of the softies on here would have a heart attack if they read what is being said on the"anything goes" types of boards 

I've yet to see anybody get personal about the guys at the top. I want to know where all these embarrassing comments are because all I see are valid criticisms of the product they put on the field. I'm not on here a whole lot, but I'd imagine if anyone made fun of Pagano for his cancer or something like that, it would be met with a ban and he would be criticized by everyone. When people make comments about Irsay's drug addictions it's met similarly. 

For each sports community I visit, it's exactly the same everywhere We are not an incessantly whiny group by any means. When the team is bad, we criticize them. What are we supposed to talk about, how amazing Adam Vinatieri is? 

30 minutes ago, Mr Coffee said:

People need to vent.  This is a good place to do it.  Get over yourself.  

Well, venting within reason.

Using this place as a verbal dumping ground gets old for a lot of posters.  I mean, some derail every thread they can with obnoxious comments

some take poor play as license to spew obscenity all over the joint.

Where as GOOD posters state their opinion without nonstop beating us over the head with it and leave the garbage out

2 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

Yeah, some of the softies on here would have a heart attack if they read what is being said on the"anything goes" types of boards 

No, it's just if we wanted to read nonsensical whining that shows little to no football knowledge all typed as if it's from a crude 5th grader, then we would frequent those boards instead of this one that has posting rules.

If you like those type of sites, good for you.  This, however, if the official Colts site and they have rules.

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I've yet to see anybody get personal about the guys at the top. I want to know where all these embarrassing comments are because all I see are valid criticisms of the product they put on the field. I'm not on here a whole lot, but I'd imagine if anyone made fun of Pagano for his cancer or something like that, it would be met with a ban and he would be criticized by everyone. When people make comments about Irsay's drug addictions it's met similarly. 

For each sports community I visit, it's exactly the same everywhere We are not an incessantly whiny group by any means. When the team is bad, we criticize them. What are we supposed to talk about, how amazing Adam Vinatieri is? 

Maybe so, but there's definitely a sense of childish entitlement amongst Colts fans that kind of irks me from time to time. Like having a bad season every now and then is somehow beneath us, it's silly. And I'll only say that because I know that I've been guilty of it myself, especially if I wander into the forum after a loss and have had a couple cocktails. But at the same time I also root for other teams in other sports, some of them awful (Cincinnati Reds), so these couple of subpar Colts seasons won't even phase me to be honest.

But when people are threatening to "boycott the team," or I see the home crowd leaving last week's game in the 4th quarter with 9 minutes left? C'mon, that's just weak. We all have an emotional attachment to the team and want to see them win every week, but I think not winning an automatic 12 games every year like in the Manning days is good for perspective too. Everyone here could use a little of that in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe so, but there's definitely a sense of childish entitlement amongst Colts fans that kind of irks me from time to time. Like having a bad season every now and then is somehow beneath us, it's silly. And I'll only say that because I know that I've been guilty of it myself, especially if I wander into the forum after a loss and have had a couple cocktails. But at the same time I also root for other teams in other sports, some of them awful (Cincinnati Reds), so these couple of subpar Colts seasons won't even phase me to be honest.

But when people are threatening to "boycott the team," or I see the home crowd leaving last week's game in the 4th quarter with 9 minutes left? C'mon, that's just weak. We all have an emotional attachment to the team and want to see them win every week, but I think not winning an automatic 12 games every year like in the Manning days is good for perspective too. Everyone here could use a little of that in my opinion.

Good post.

I don't have a problem with people leaving early in a blowout, but Sunday's game wasn't a blowout. If not for a ticky tack holding call, the Colts would have been within one score with about 4 minutes remaining. The Chiefs probably would have started seeing ghosts at that point. 

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good post.

I don't have a problem with people leaving early in a blowout, but Sunday's game wasn't a blowout. If not for a ticky tack holding call, the Colts would have been within one score with about 4 minutes remaining. The Chiefs probably would have started seeing ghosts at that point. 

Not a blowout at all. Granted it never felt like the Colts would get back into either, but if I pay $150+ for a ticket, and they're within 2 scores with 9 minutes left, I'm not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not a blowout at all. Granted it never felt like the Colts would get back into either, but if I pay $150+ for a ticket, and they're within 2 scores with 9 minutes left, I'm not going anywhere.

I don't care if it's a blowout if I pay money for it I'm gonna stay lol 

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Very well said but I would argue that the entitlement you speak of also applies to other of the aspects of the team. Like front office people, drafts, scandals, PR,etc...

A lot of people don't want to make a change in coaches and GMs because in their view the Colts must always be a stable top tier organization that has coaches who coach for 4+ years and we don't rotate them a lot. 

No one ever wants to believe when the Colts have rumors about them but it's easy for us to look at other teams and believe most of what people say.

i think in general people just don't want to believe the Colts go through the same things other teams do because they put the team on some imaginary island.

16 hours ago, Mr Coffee said:

Yes, I am quite embarrassed by your comments OP, so that's a very good question.  Let me think on it and get back to you.  Some of us are realists and don't live with our heads in the clouds when it comes to this team.

Is it being realistic to ignore the fact that this team has had an inordinate amount of players out and Pagano has had to play backups against healthy teams?

Is it realistic to ignore that it takes time for young players to learn their assignments?

Is it being realistic to ignore Grigson has hit in some drafts and FAs?

Is it realistic to ignore that the team has been in every game with a chance to win?

I don't have my head in a cloud. I see the bad play; the dropped passes, the bad throws, the missed assignments, bad coaching decisions, FA acquisitions and draft selections. My perspective is that all of these things can be corrected.

Football is a game, not only of inches, but of milliseconds. The difference between a sack and a long pass given up, can be a split-second.

If the only thing the Colts have gained this year is experience for backups, is that a bad thing? Isn't that a critical part of building a championship?

We are used to double-digit wins almost every year and it's frustrating knowing that they won't get there this year, barring some miracle. 

But what fans are calling for (Pagano and Grigson being fired) could add another year or two to the ultimate goal of winning it all. All based on magnifying the negatives and ignoring the positives.

Both those who say the glass is half-full and half-empty are right. It all depends upon your perspective. Quit or believe things will get better. I choose the latter.

55 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Is it being realistic to ignore the fact that this team has had an inordinate amount of players out and Pagano has had to play backups against healthy teams?

Is it realistic to ignore that it takes time for young players to learn their assignments?

Is it realistic to ignore that the team has been in every game with a chance to win?

I don't have my head in a cloud. I see the bad play; the dropped passes, the bad throws, the missed assignments, bad coaching decisions, FA acquisitions and draft selections. My perspective is that all of these things can be corrected.

Football is a game, not only of inches, but of milliseconds. The difference between a sack and a long pass given up, can be a split-second.

If the only thing the Colts have gained this year is experience for backups, is that a bad thing? Isn't that a critical part of building a championship?

We are used to double-digit wins almost every year and it's frustrating knowing that they won't get there this year, barring some miracle. 

But what fans are calling for (Pagano and Grigson being fired) could add another year or two to the ultimate goal of winning it all. All based on magnifying the negatives and ignoring the positives.

Both those who say the glass is half-full and half-empty are right. It all depends upon your perspective. Quit or believe things will get better. I choose the latter.

Grigson has absolutely hit on some draft picks, in fact, I think Pagano is stunting their growth and making Grigson look like a worse GM then he actually is. You won't admit this, but a very high amount of our points have come from garbage time. It isn't as bad as Blake Bortles or RGIII in the past, but it's very noticeable. When our opponent gives their full effort for 60 minutes, usually we fold. 

Everything can be corrected, but we need better talent for the most part. Probably 5-7 new starters on defense and 3-5 on offense. The best way to build a team is through the draft. The most successful way we can build next year is get a top 5-10 pick each round and make the most of them. The reason other teams like the Browns and Jaguars don't do anything with them is because of poor QB play. With Luck and a solid high pick or two to alleviate the pressure, we'll be much improved. Think of it as us being the Raiders with Luck having a Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper on the team. We have our Cooper (Hilton), now we need a Mack, that comes with a top 5 pick next year if we get it, and the reason I want to lose out. 

Football is definitely a game of seconds, unfortunately, we have no pass rush, and the secondary can't cover forever. Even more reason to lose out and get an elite one next year.

Lets say we get double-digit wins and make the playoffs by some miracle. Why do you think we'll beat a team like New England, or even Pittsburgh? Heck, what makes you think we can even beat Denver or KC at this time? Even the Raiders would be a huge threat. If those are the 5 teams, we are by far the worst of the 6. Only team we could realistic beat that can make the playoffs is the Texans. If your answer is blind faith that we can and we should take a chance, then that's not good enough to sacrifice the future for a temporary good feeling in the short term. 

While there are positives to Grigson, there is literally no positive to Pagano. He has lost the team, he has a low football IQ for a coach. The team doesn't respect him, he has no gameplan, the team plays undisciplined under him, and most important of all, he's too stubborn to learn from his mistakes and actually refuses too, as he says in his pressers that he would do the same thing over or wouldn't change a thing. These are the kind of signs that he needs to go at the end of the season. He also hasn't beat New England or Pitt once in his tenure as head coach.

You can choose to things will get better, but it's just blind faith at this point. I like to be positive as well, but it's hard to at this point where we are. When you pay close attention to the team, you will figure out where we are and know we are in worse shape than you originally thought. We need two drafts or one incredible one just to compete with the contenders. I don't mean NE and Pitt, I just mean, KC, Den, and Oak.

16 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, I'm guilty of some of this sometimes. I think the thing is between other Colt fans and I, is that with Luck, we now expect greatness like Manning days all over again. Since we went 11-5 the first 3 seasons with Luck, and did better in the playoffs every year, we expect that every year. If we would have drafted RGIII and he busted here or we just didn't have a franchise QB, I think the majority here would have a lot lower expectations and have a lot more patience to win again. However, we drafted Luck and got great results the 1st three years, now it's expected out of him and the team. Unfortunately poor drafting and coaching have caught to us and set us back another 3 years. You can't blame the fans though.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

That is spot on...Wish others would see it as well. Yes the Colts needs to get better but they are not that far off from getting there.

30 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Grigson has absolutely hit on some draft picks, in fact, I think Pagano is stunting their growth and making Grigson look like a worse GM then he actually is. You won't admit this, but a very high amount of our points have come from garbage time. It isn't as bad as Blake Bortles or RGIII in the past, but it's very noticeable. When our opponent gives their full effort for 60 minutes, usually we fold. 

Everything can be corrected, but we need better talent for the most part. Probably 5-7 new starters on defense and 3-5 on offense. The best way to build a team is through the draft. The most successful way we can build next year is get a top 5-10 pick each round and make the most of them. The reason other teams like the Browns and Jaguars don't do anything with them is because of poor QB play. With Luck and a solid high pick or two to alleviate the pressure, we'll be much improved. Think of it as us being the Raiders with Luck having a Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper on the team. We have our Cooper (Hilton), now we need a Mack, that comes with a top 5 pick next year if we get it, and the reason I want to lose out. 

Football is definitely a game of seconds, unfortunately, we have no pass rush, and the secondary can't cover forever. Even more reason to lose out and get an elite one next year.

Lets say we get double-digit wins and make the playoffs by some miracle. Why do you think we'll beat a team like New England, or even Pittsburgh? Heck, what makes you think we can even beat Denver or KC at this time? Even the Raiders would be a huge threat. If those are the 5 teams, we are by far the worst of the 6. Only team we could realistic beat that can make the playoffs is the Texans. If your answer is blind faith that we can and we should take a chance, then that's not good enough to sacrifice the future for a temporary good feeling in the short term. 

While there are positives to Grigson, there is literally no positive to Pagano. He has lost the team, he has a low football IQ for a coach. The team doesn't respect him, he has no gameplan, the team plays undisciplined under him, and most important of all, he's too stubborn to learn from his mistakes and actually refuses too, as he says in his pressers that he would do the same thing over or wouldn't change a thing. These are the kind of signs that he needs to go at the end of the season. He also hasn't beat New England or Pitt once in his tenure as head coach.

You can choose to things will get better, but it's just blind faith at this point. I like to be positive as well, but it's hard to at this point where we are. When you pay close attention to the team, you will figure out where we are and know we are in worse shape than you originally thought. We need two drafts or one incredible one just to compete with the contenders. I don't mean NE and Pitt, I just mean, KC, Den, and Oak.

I agree with you we need a few more starters on the defensive side of the ball.  To ask a team to lose out to gain a higher draft pick is not going to happen. You may think that but to ask a professional football player to do that is not going to happen.

As for Pagano, I disagree. I live a stone's throw away from Baltimore. When Pagano was in Baltimore all the Ravens players worked hard and played hard for him. He was well talked about as a coach, was high praised by Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and others on the team. When the Colts were in a hunt for a coach and Pagano's name came up I was extremely happy they choose him. 

Is he a great coach, maybe not in your eyes but to me he is a good coach and 3 season with 10 plus wins means a lot in today's NFL.

Just now, tfunky14 said:

I agree with you we need a few more starters on the defensive side of the ball.  To ask a team to lose out to gain a higher draft pick is not going to happen. You may think that but to ask a professional football player to do that is not going to happen.

As for Pagano, I disagree. I live a stone's throw away from Baltimore. When Pagano was in Baltimore all the Ravens players worked hard and played hard for him. He was well talked about as a coach, was high praised by Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and others on the team. When the Colts were in a hunt for a coach and Pagano's name came up I was extremely happy they choose him. 

Is he a great coach, maybe not in your eyes but to me he is a good coach and 3 season with 10 plus wins means a lot in today's NFL.

Oh I definitely don't expect them to lose out by choice. That would be ridiculous for them to do so on purpose. I hope it happens by a lack of talent so the rebuild is quick and painless through next year's draft. I also believe you on Pagano in Baltimore. The players loved him there, and there's a chance the players still love him here. The difference in Baltimore as he was a Defensive Coordinator, and here he is a head coach. I had it between him and Zimmer on who I liked as well. Wanted a defensive mind here because i thought Luck was good enough on offense to carry us with a defensive coach. 

The one problem with 3 seasons with 10+ wins is that Arians actually carried us to most of that record in 2012. It was far from Chuck's fault, but we can't give him credit for Arian's work. I just see all our rookies regress after our first year under Pagano and can't blame Grigson when it happens year after year. They start off well, then regress the 2nd year. Besides a few players, it seems to happen with everyone.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Aside from Gore, who likely won't be here next year, what 3-5 positions on offense do you think need to be overhauled?

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Aside from Gore, who likely won't be here next year, what 3-5 positions on offense do you think need to be overhauled?

Obviously an rb, but after that, I'd say we need two O-Lineman and a TE. I trust Mewhort and Kelly, Haeg some, but Constanzo is losing it. He may have to move to RT or something. I think we can sign a RT or LT in FA, but I'd like to sign a RG as well just to compete. A TE in the draft would be to compete with what we've got. I think Allen is about done at this point. Love Doyle, but with the way we use 2 TE sets, I'm not sure if swoope is the answer to the 2nd TE spot by now. Also would like another WR either in the 6th round or free agency. Dorsett is just terrible right now. Chester rogers is good, but a veteran wr could really balance things out.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously an rb, but after that, I'd say we need two O-Lineman and a TE. I trust Mewhort and Kelly, Haeg some, but Constanzo is losing it. He may have to move to RT or something. I think we can sign a RT or LT in FA, but I'd like to sign a RG as well just to compete. A TE in the draft would be to compete with what we've got. I think Allen is about done at this point. Love Doyle, but with the way we use 2 TE sets, I'm not sure if swoope is the answer to the 2nd TE spot by now. Also would like another WR either in the 6th round or free agency. Dorsett is just terrible right now. Chester rogers is good, but a veteran wr could really balance things out.

As up and down as Castonzo has been, people need to realize we'd be in REAL trouble without him. Drafting an LT next year and replacing AC is a joke, so I won't even suggest it. Kelly's been great, but he still makes the occasional rookie mistake. I like Joe Haeg, but he's still learning as well. Mewhort's a rock, but dude needs to get healthy. There's also still Le'Raven Clark and Austin Blythe, who are good depth guys that will get a lot better with another offseason. The line's probably set as far as starters go, but I could see another depth guy or 2 being brought in.

WRs are fine. We could maybe use some depth there, but nothing that warrants a draft pick, it can be addressed with UDFAs and cuts from other teams.

TEs are probably the biggest question mark. Do we want to keep Allen, and if not, does he have ANY trade value at this point? Can Doyle get better at run blocking, and does he get resigned in the offseason? What's Swoope's ceiling? What happens with these 3 moving forward will be interesting.

All in all, I don't see any way 3-5 offensive guys are getting drafted this offseason. If they go into the draft with 8 or 9 picks, I'd say 6-7 of them will be defense, it's really not even an option.

20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

As up and down as Castonzo has been, people need to realize we'd be in REAL trouble without him. Drafting an LT next year and replacing AC is a joke, so I won't even suggest it. Kelly's been great, but he still makes the occasional rookie mistake. I like Joe Haeg, but he's still learning as well. Mewhort's a rock, but dude needs to get healthy. There's also still Le'Raven Clark and Austin Blythe, who are good depth guys that will get a lot better with another offseason. The line's probably set as far as starters go, but I could see another depth guy or 2 being brought in.

WRs are fine. We could maybe use some depth there, but nothing that warrants a draft pick, it can be addressed with UDFAs and cuts from other teams.

TEs are probably the biggest question mark. Do we want to keep Allen, and if not, does he have ANY trade value at this point? Can Doyle get better at run blocking, and does he get resigned in the offseason? What's Swoope's ceiling? What happens with these 3 moving forward will be interesting.

All in all, I don't see any way 3-5 offensive guys are getting drafted this offseason. If they go into the draft with 8 or 9 picks, I'd say 6-7 of them will be defense, it's really not even an option.

As it should be. I said I wanted the O-Lineman from FA, so it'd just be a RB, TE, and possibly a WR in the 6th.

On 11/2/2016 at 10:52 AM, Fisticuffs111 said:

For the excessively negative posts though you just gotta try to ignore and move on, because there are people who are willing to have an actual discussion who voice their problems.

On the flip side though, there are quite a few instances where those posters with actual opinions get unfairly tossed in with the bad eggs.

Very observant, and most appropriate.  We want a free flow of ideas, ( thought out or research backed is a plus) opinions, and facts discussed here. and in real time chat. But we have rules, too, that must be followed.  So those that stay in bounds are likely come out unscathed.