Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A.C. hurt? Or is he just playing badly?

Lawrence Owen

His has a position where everyone notices the bad plays because they can be disastrous (CB is another). If he is hurt, he needs to get healthy. His position is that critical.

What if Haeg really is the more athletic tackle? Would it make sense to play AC at RT and Haeg at LT? (I don't think the coaches would make such a change, they are going to give AC every chance). 

We have seen him play much better than he is now, no reason to think he can't get back there or play even better than anytime in the past.

Maybe what is wrong with him is what is wrong with the team: bad technique, stupid penalties, lack of consistency, focus and confidence. I have a feeling that the Colts will play well against the Bears. AC playing better will need to be part of it. I also think he is well aware that he is not playing up to his potential.

Ever since I very closely watched Castonzo at the Senior Bowl Week, I thought he was exposed as being limited versus speed rushers.  This has been the recurring problem with him as a pro.

I truly think that long term, the Colts need to find a better LT and have Castonzo move to RT.  Castonzo continues to have problems and seems to be regressing at LT and I think that, ultimately, his best position will be as a RT, where he should be much more effective.

4 hours ago, dudeski said:

That is not the case though.  

Say they play 60 snaps

ac was bad 7 snaps.  Blythe was bad 30

you see how that works?  Numbers just used as an example but probably not far off

That brings up another point.
 Blythe has a short (6'2" 298lb), squatty frame and lacks ideal arm length (30 1/4").
 He is a Center Only! If that!!  Our management are ______!

AC had one pretty solid season in year 4. That was without Allen playing to help him. Go figure.
  He has otherwise been a poor pass blocker from day one.
 Top 3 in sacks allowed his 1st 2 seasons, and a phenomenal 70+ pressures in year 3.
  So bad, i suggest, our divisional opponents, considering they were mostly hopeless, took it easy on him his contract year so as we would lock him in for Big Cap $$$, then they and the rest of the league could enjoy
taking him to the wood shed for many seasons to come. 
  As i have pointed out many times, they quit trying to beat him for a sack. It proved wiser to maintain their rush lane to contain Lucks love for escaping to the left, and just drive AC straight back into Lucky.
  AC has always given all he has IMO. He is a warrior. So are DQ, Mathis, Parry, Blythe, Morrison, McNary, Walden, Mewhort. lol

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

That brings up another point.
 Blythe has a short (6'2" 298lb), squatty frame and lacks ideal arm length (30 1/4").
 He is a Center Only! If that!!  Our management are ______!

AC had one pretty solid season in year 4. That was without Allen playing to help him. Go figure.
  He has otherwise been a poor pass blocker from day one.
 Top 3 in sacks allowed his 1st 2 seasons, and a phenomenal 70+ pressures in year 3.
  So bad, i suggest, our divisional opponents, considering they were mostly hopeless, took it easy on him his contract year so as we would lock him in for Big Cap $$$, then they and the rest of the league could enjoy
taking him to the wood shed for many seasons to come. 
  As i have pointed out many times, they quit trying to beat him for a sack. It proved wiser to maintain their rush lane to contain Lucks love for escaping to the left, and just drive AC straight back into Lucky.
  AC has always given all he has IMO. He is a warrior. So are DQ, Mathis, Parry, Blythe, Morrison, McNary, Walden, Mewhort. lol

Regarding Blythe, it strikes me as unfair criticism for management.  He only played RG because the starter (Good) was out.  Along with his backup in Harrison and Haer was forced to play RT with Reitz being hurt as well.  He was essentially the 4th in line and a worst case scenario.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Ever since I very closely watched Castonzo at the Senior Bowl Week, I thought he was exposed as being limited versus speed rushers.  This has been the recurring problem with him as a pro.

I truly think that long term, the Colts need to find a better LT and have Castonzo move to RT.  Castonzo continues to have problems and seems to be regressing at LT and I think that, ultimately, his best position will be as a RT, where he should be much more effective.

that'd be Haeg long term at LT, as long as we maximize his development, he has the tools.....

Luck needs to do what Brady does, dink and dump, dink and dump. This keeps the defense off guard and the safeties must move closer to the line therefore leaving the deeper passes available from time to time

This also takes pressure off the line and allows our speedy receivers to excel in YAC (Like almost every team does to us)

Not rocket science for the people on West 56th street  

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Luck needs to do what Brady does, dink and dump, dink and dump. This keeps the defense off guard and the safeties must move closer to the line therefore leaving the deeper passes available from time to time

This also takes pressure off the line and allows our speedy receivers to excel in YAC (Like almost every team does to us)

I've been saying multiple times we have the quickest trio in the league between Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett, with the most porous line. Shotgun every time and get rid of the ball immediately for 5 yards.

This whole thread is jacked up and wrong. The two sacks AC is being blamed for, are on Blythe. AC drove his man deep and out of the play. The only reason his man made the sack is because Blythe was blown up so quickly and completely that Luck had to do a high speed back up and  ACs man was handed a gift tackle. Blythe also gave up the batted ball INT that led to 7. I don't like throwing Blythe under the bus, but fans need to go back and look at those plays before they unload noise on AC.

9 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I concur

On October 5, 2016 at 7:31 PM, IinD said:

He sure seems to have slowed down after the contract.

In all honesty, he's been very overrated on these boards for years. He's not an Orlando Pace or even a Tarik Glenn.

He's been solid throughout his career, never dominant.

I don't think you can find anyone that thought he was on their level.  Basically, he's had one solid year and one pro bowl caliber year in his career.  The rest of,the time he has been mediocre or worse. 

6 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Chuck keeps hiring guys that dig the long ball.  I thought Chud would adapt considering the offensive line, but so far he has me scratching my head quite a bit.

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

Why take away from what a guy does man for his position he plays the best 

If AC played lg, he would be better than mewhort.  Lg is arguably the easiest position to play on the oline 

but im sure you don't want to hear facts

8 hours ago, dudeski said:

If AC played lg, he would be better than mewhort.  Lg is arguably the easiest position to play on the oline 

but im sure you don't want to hear facts

Lol,  no position is easy, but I can't argue with you since I dont have the knowledge for which position is what in a particular system. I always thought AC was more suited to be out RT and we haven't found our franchise LT yet. But that's just and opinion 

On 10/5/2016 at 8:08 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

I am sorry, but from the games I've watched, He seems to get burned on the outside speed rushers by everyone and thier mother.  

I know A.C. has quite a following on here, and saying he's playing horribly is almost "taboo".  But this IS what I am seeing.

Our rookies soom to do better than him this year.  

So, is he hurt or dealing with a nagging injury? Or has he just gotten complacent after he got his payday?

I've been pointing out his terrible play since last year and still find it laughable that some people insist he's our best lineman.  They really need to watch more football linemen to tell the difference between good play and bad.  Mewhort has been our best lineman even though he's far from perfect, and only obstinate people or those who simply don't know the difference think AC is doing a good job.  

At the rate he's going, I wouldn't be shocked to see Haeg be his eventual replacement.  Sure, he's still learning as a Rookie, but he has raw talent and 4 years of solid coaching in his corner with excellent technique and in pre-season, he outplayed (albeit briefly) Castonzo when given the chance (and I still think he's a better tackle than guard).  I think perhaps 2 full years ago AC was our best lineman, but that ship has sailed.  It might all be in his head, perhaps a physical limitation or he's just regressed as a player a bit younger than many.   We need to hope Clark's raw abilities can turn into solid tackle play at RT and that Haeg can step eventually into LT if AC just can't get it together.   I don't think an aging Reitz is a solution should AC have to be benched. 

28 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I've been pointing out his terrible play since last year and still find it laughable that some people insist he's our best lineman.  They really need to watch more football linemen to tell the difference between good play and bad.  Mewhort has been our best lineman even though he's far from perfect, and only obstinate people or those who simply don't know the difference think AC is doing a good job.  

At the rate he's going, I wouldn't be shocked to see Haeg be his eventual replacement.  Sure, he's still learning as a Rookie, but he has raw talent and 4 years of solid coaching in his corner with excellent technique and in pre-season, he outplayed (albeit briefly) Castonzo when given the chance (and I still think he's a better tackle than guard).  I think perhaps 2 full years ago AC was our best lineman, but that ship has sailed.  It might all be in his head, perhaps a physical limitation or he's just regressed as a player a bit younger than many.   We need to hope Clark's raw abilities can turn into solid tackle play at RT and that Haeg can step eventually into LT if AC just can't get it together.   I don't think an aging Reitz is a solution should AC have to be benched. 

For the most part, I agree with you.  Only 1 thing gives me pause.  Clark is TERRIBLE right now.  He gets dozed by power rushers, and he seems too slow for speed guys.  Watt would eat him up..(and I mean now while Watt is on IR)  He needs to beef up and get tecknique down.  Yes, a year or 2 strength training and coaching can do both of those things, but i'm not holding my breath.  I still see OLB, Corner, and Tackle being top 3 needs in offseason.  (with RB being not far behind.)

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

For the most part, I agree with you.  Only 1 thing gives me pause.  Clark is TERRIBLE right now.  He gets dozed by power rushers, and he seems too slow for speed guys.  Watt would eat him up..(and I mean now while Watt is on IR)  He needs to beef up and get tecknique down.  Yes, a year or 2 strength training and coaching can do both of those things, but i'm not holding my breath.  I still see OLB, Corner, and Tackle being top 3 needs in offseason.  (with RB being not far behind.)

I think I agreed he's not ready when I said "we need to HOPE" Clark can turn into something. I did not suggest anywhere he was ready at this time.  I am hoping that he's not yet another Grigson disastrous pick and can develop his raw abilities into a RT good enough to step up.  I mean, that is what they drafted hm for after all. Hope is all we have as evidence is grim.