Reggie Wayne weighs in

SkyBane

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

LOL

Jeff George and Jim Harbaugh combined to play for 12 teams besides the Colts. Those players failing to win SBs isn't the Colts' fault.

The Colts actually had a good enough OL with Faulk, Dickerson and Edge. The Colts didn't fail to win SBs with those players because of deficient line play. More like deficient defense, deficient coaching, deficient QBing. In the later Faulk years and all of the Edge years, the OL was actually a strength. 

The OL didn't fall off until 2008. It's been too long, and it's ridiculous that the problem has spanned two front offices and three coaching staffs, but it hasn't been as long as you're trying to make it seem.

And what's more, the Colts did some good things on the OL this offseason. We'll see how it goes, but between Mewhort -- who is having a great season so far, and isn't even 100% -- and the 2016 class, there are some nice young pieces that are expected to get to the heart of the OL problem. 

I personally think we could and should be 4-0 this season and would be if our coaching and play calling were better. And despite what their "ratings" may show I think our O line has done well for the most part.  If we figured out how to call a game and develop an identity on offense their ratings would drastically improve.  We should be trying to mimic the old Payton/Brees/Saints Offense. They're trying to with Ferguson/Sproles but aren't fully committing to it by not getting a 2nd back 7-10 carries.  And I also think it's time for Luck to step up and what I mean by that is, if he truly wants to be great and he's got all the potential to be, it's time to take an off season and put in extra work with his receivers. That's how Peyton/Marv/Reggie became HOF'ers. And if he's already putting in extra work then make it extra extra. He's got to trust someone else on offense. It's time for the coaches to force Luck to throw to Dorsett more in practice. Get them throwing and catching in different situations. Not just go routes and deep posts.  Back shoulders. Deep comebacks. Deep ins. It's so much work he could be doing. Not coaching these guys right and getting the most of their potential. 

I personally feel like we have a Ferrari in Luck and we have a Toyota type head coach. We need an offensive genius/intellectual coaching this team or at least at O.C.  If the rumors that we could have gotten Sean Payton were true, I fear we may have set this franchise back a couple years by keeping Chuck. He's a great man but we're not getting the most out of our players and that's falling on the head coach because the buck stops there.  Now, the Sean Payton, Jim Harbaughs, are gone.  I hate to say it but I think it's time to go get McDaniels. I think his time spent under the evil genius (belichick) and the time spent with Brady has matured him and he's ready for the big job again.  The stuff he's got Brady and Garopolo doing Luck can do too. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

I personally think we could and should be 4-0 this season and would be if our coaching and play calling were better. And despite what their "ratings" may show I think our O line has done well for the most part.  If we figured out how to call a game and develop an identity on offense their ratings would drastically improve.  We should be trying to mimic the old Payton/Brees/Saints Offense. They're trying to with Ferguson/Sproles but aren't fully committing to it by not getting a 2nd back 7-10 carries.  And I also think it's time for Luck to step up and what I mean by that is, if he truly wants to be great and he's got all the potential to be, it's time to take an off season and put in extra work with his receivers. That's how Peyton/Marv/Reggie became HOF'ers. And if he's already putting in extra work then make it extra extra. He's got to trust someone else on offense. It's time for the coaches to force Luck to throw to Dorsett more in practice. Get them throwing and catching in different situations. Not just go routes and deep posts.  Back shoulders. Deep comebacks. Deep ins. It's so much work he could be doing. Not coaching these guys right and getting the most of their potential. 

I agree with the first part. I don't agree with putting it on Luck. He did spend time with his receivers this year, and he does put in the work. 

47 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I personally feel like we have a Ferrari in Luck and we have a Toyota type head coach. We need an offensive genius/intellectual coaching this team or at least at O.C.  If the rumors that we could have gotten Sean Payton were true, I fear we may have set this franchise back a couple years by keeping Chuck. He's a great man but we're not getting the most out of our players and that's falling on the head coach because the buck stops there.  Now, the Sean Payton, Jim Harbaughs, are gone.  I hate to say it but I think it's time to go get McDaniels. I think his time spent under the evil genius (belichick) and the time spent with Brady has matured him and he's ready for the big job again.  The stuff he's got Brady and Garopolo doing Luck can do too. 

Payton's Saints are 1-3 and arguably have a worse defense than the Colts.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with the first part. I don't agree with putting it on Luck. He did spend time with his receivers this year, and he does put in the work. 

You're probably right. I just don't see him trusting Dorsett yet. Maybe Dorsett is suffering from not having Reggie as a mentor like TY had. Maybe he's not looking for the ball more or we're not using him right?  Maybe I'm just trying to force him to be something that he's not? But I swear I see star potential in Dorsett and we're not getting it out of him.  He should be having the impact for us that Will Fuller is having for Houston and he's not and it's got me upset and blaming everyone for why it ain't happening. 

Reggie is right on.

We all knew what the weaknesses of this team were coming into the season...basically the entire defense. There are plenty of weapons on offense to put up points though.

It feels as though Pagano and the coaching staff are headstrong on idealism at the expense of maximizing the obvious strength and advantage this team can have over most teams in the NFL. 

This isn't the Ravens or Seahawks. We do not have the personnel to win with defense, a run game, clock management, etc. Pagano needs to realize this and let the offense loose. If it was being done this team (despite injuries and major weaknesses) could be 3-1 right now. Instead Luck and the offense have to play nearly perfect in order to win.

12 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Payton's Saints are 1-3 and arguably have a worse defense than the Colts.

You wouldn't bring in Payton for his defense. Plus the Saints are in cap hell. But we brought in Chuck for our defense and ain't nothing happened yet. I assure you if you gave Payton this offense we'd have an offensive identity and be a top 3 if not the number one offense and we wouldn't be 1-3. You get him a young stud defensive coordinator from a proven coaching tree and we'd be better off than we are now.  Payton has taken low drafted talent and put up Star Wars numbers with it and Brees. He'd do that and then some with Luck and what we have. Just make sure our GM's mindset is to focus on the defense going forward and this organization would be ascending rather than floundering. 

31 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

You're probably right. I just don't see him trusting Dorsett yet. Maybe Dorsett is suffering from not having Reggie as a mentor like TY had. Maybe he's not looking for the ball more or we're not using him right?  Maybe I'm just trying to force him to be something that he's not? But I swear I see star potential in Dorsett and we're not getting it out of him.  He should be having the impact for us that Will Fuller is having for Houston and he's not and it's got me upset and blaming everyone for why it ain't happening. 

Dorsett is hurt, and is trying to work his way into the WR2 spot even though he isn't getting all the reps. He obviously has playmaking ability. Luck lobbed up that big TD pass like he trusted Dorsett just fine.

Keep in mind that Dorsett has been practicing at slot and Z since he got to the Colts, and now they're asking him to fill in at X for Moncrief. That's partly why Rogers is getting so many reps, because he's more of an X receiver than Dorsett. 

Will Fuller is having a really good start so far, though. He's even catching the ball regularly, which was a big knock on him coming out.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Dorsett is hurt, and is trying to work his way into the WR2 spot even though he isn't getting all the reps. He obviously has playmaking ability. Luck lobbed up that big TD pass like he trusted Dorsett just fine.

Keep in mind that Dorsett has been practicing at slot and Z since he got to the Colts, and now they're asking him to fill in at X for Moncrief. That's partly why Rogers is getting so many reps, because he's more of an X receiver than Dorsett. 

Will Fuller is having a really good start so far, though. He's even catching the ball regularly, which was a big knock on him coming out.

Thanks for the info Supe. I just get really invested in the team and when we're bad the entire NFL season sucks. I don't want back to back years of that crap even though last year we gave ourselves a shot. I just get so upset because if you watch football you know that on any given Sunday.... And every Sunday I see flashes of a team that can be so much better. Even with the lack of pass rush...  We're just not getting the most out of our players. This same 1-3 team if coached properly should be 4-0. 

39 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Reggie is right on.

We all knew what the weaknesses of this team were coming into the season...basically the entire defense. There are plenty of weapons on offense to put up points though.

It feels as though Pagano and the coaching staff are headstrong on idealism at the expense of maximizing the obvious strength and advantage this team can have over most teams in the NFL. 

This isn't the Ravens or Seahawks. We do not have the personnel to win with defense, a run game, clock management, etc. Pagano needs to realize this and let the offense loose. If it was being done this team (despite injuries and major weaknesses) could be 3-1 right now. Instead Luck and the offense have to play nearly perfect in order to win.

They aren't playing nearly perfect and don't have to either.  They just need to play the whole game like they do the fourth quarter which I think is Wayne's and many here's point.  The offense works the best in the hurry up, use that even if it's not what you want to be it's what you are and more importantly what your good at.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

LOL

Jeff George and Jim Harbaugh combined to play for 12 teams besides the Colts. Those players failing to win SBs isn't the Colts' fault.

The Colts actually had a good enough OL with Faulk, Dickerson and Edge. The Colts didn't fail to win SBs with those players because of deficient line play. More like deficient defense, deficient coaching, deficient QBing. In the later Faulk years and all of the Edge years, the OL was actually a strength. 

The OL didn't fall off until 2008. It's been too long, and it's ridiculous that the problem has spanned two front offices and three coaching staffs, but it hasn't been as long as you're trying to make it seem.

And what's more, the Colts did some good things on the OL this offseason. We'll see how it goes, but between Mewhort -- who is having a great season so far, and isn't even 100% -- and the 2016 class, there are some nice young pieces that are expected to get to the heart of the OL problem. 

Honestly I am not upset with line.  Yes their play hasn't been consistent but with the number of young guys playing and all the injuries that's to be expected.  Like you I think they might have finally fixed the line in the draft this year.  I really like what Kelly and Haeg have shown.  If Clark can develop into the tackle they saw when they drafted him that's a starting line right there.  

The one person who does concern me at the moment is AC.  He's just not playing well and that's disappointing.  Hopefully he can turn it around like he did last year.  

5 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Didn't see a thread about this, thought I'd share:

He's quite the proponent for running the hurry up more.

It's easy for Reggie Wayne to sit back and offer this advice.....

Without looking it up, I'd guess that last game Reggie played in the hurry-up offense from beginning to end would be........ Never.        It's rarely if ever done.

And while it can look good in limited doses,  if you do it for an entire game,  (A) it becomes tiring to the offense, and (B)  the risk of mistakes goes up....     sooner or later some bad stuff happens.

Remember in the last two games, Frank Gore has run for 70 yards and 56 yards in the 1st half.    That's exactly what we want.    What any team would want.

This is not as obvious as it would seem.

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think we all have known this for awhile. Figuring out the magic formula to not suck while screwing around with screens and runs in to the teeth of the front 7/8 is the question for the offense. I think some of the skill position players may be a bit overvalued by the fans. Lots of dropped balls today. 

Yeah especially Allen he needs to be benched I don't care what they're paying him.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Without looking it up, I'd guess that last game Reggie played in the hurry-up offense from beginning to end would be........ Never.        It's rarely if ever done.

And while it can look good in limited doses,  if you do it for an entire game,  (A) it becomes tiring to the offense, and (B)  the risk of mistakes goes up....     sooner or later some bad stuff happens.

Remember in the last two games, Frank Gore has run for 70 yards and 56 yards in the 1st half.    That's exactly what we want.    What any team would want.

The hurry up is our best offense and the offense can handle it. We used to do it a lot with Manning. 

A lot of people say it'll tire your defense out which is true but you shouldn't use hurry up all game...use it in spurts not waiting till the 4th qtr to use it nonstop and hope for a comeback..it's easy to speed it up and slow it down our issue is we slow it down for 3 qtrs and hurry up the entire 4th and by then the defense has been gassed  And now suffers twice as much cuz now the offense scored quickly in the fourth which is why our defense doesn't come clutch late in games 

12 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone and instead blame the player himself. 

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone and instead blame the player himself. 

Dorsett is hurt.     He rolled his ankle this week,  Friday.

He was very limited in what he could do....

He took one for the team....

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, Reggie did play in a no huddle hurry up style offense from basically beginning to end with Peyton many times. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Coffee said:

Actually, Reggie did play in a no huddle hurry up style offense from basically beginning to end with Peyton many times. 

The Colts went no huddle from beginning of the game until the end?

Is that what you're saying?

Do the Colts know this?

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dorsett is hurt.     He rolled his ankle this week,  Friday.

He was very limited in what he could do....

He took one for the team....

If he was so injured to the point where he played worse because of it and limited our offense then why play? 

What's the excuse next game if he has like 3 catches and less than 50 yards? 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts went no huddle from beginning of the game until the end?

Is that what you're saying?

Do the Colts know this?

As a point of interest, yes in fact. Peyton Manning very famously called the majority of his plays from the line of scrimmage, never huddling. It was a hallmark of his tenure here. The Manning era was notable for it's use of no huddle, which was implemented through a very simple offensive scheme that relied on supreme timing and execution. Reggie Wayne was a big part of this offense as well, which makes him rather familiar with what's involved, I imagine.

20 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If he was so injured to the point where he played worse because of it and limited our offense then why play? 

What's the excuse next game if he has like 3 catches and less than 50 yards? 

We have 5 WR's on the roster....    Moncrief is hurt.     Street was an inactive...

Who are the other choices?

He played because we thought a hurt Dorsett would be better than the alternative.

He couldn't make sharp cuts on the ankle....    we didn't ask as much of him as we normally might because we didn't want to run the risk of him hurting the ankle worse....

Did you not see him catch a TD of about 65 yards?

19 hours ago, Superman said:

I've been here. Not a lot to talk about, IMO, without saying the same things and have the same discussions/arguments.

Aint this the truth.  Not to mention, since there's more complaining, there's more nonsensical topics you have to wade through before getting to a meaningful discussion.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I will tell you what is obvious...  It is obvious our OC is a complete * and on 4th and 1 we took out Frank Gore and went with a shotgun formation.  That my friend was OBVIOUSLY very very very stupid.  

29 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

As a point of interest, yes in fact. Peyton Manning very famously called the majority of his plays from the line of scrimmage, never huddling. It was a hallmark of his tenure here. The Manning era was notable for it's use of no huddle, which was implemented through a very simple offensive scheme that relied on supreme timing and execution. Reggie Wayne was a big part of this offense as well, which makes him rather familiar with what's involved, I imagine.

Beginning of the game to the end of the game?

Not only do I not recall this....    but in my 4 and a half years here as a fan,  I don't recall anyone saying this.....

I'm skeptical....

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I will tell you what is obvious...  It is obvious our OC is a complete * and on 4th and 1 we took out Frank Gore and went with a shotgun formation.  That my friend was OBVIOUSLY very very very stupid.  

I didn't like it either.....    but on balance,  Chud has been a very good OC.

But, I agree,  I didn't like that call,  and a few others....

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We have 5 WR's on the roster....    Moncrief is hurt.     Street was an inactive...

Who are the other choices?

He played because we thought a hurt Dorsett would be better than the alternative.

He couldn't make sharp cuts on the ankle....    we didn't ask as much of him as we normally might because we didn't want to run the risk of him hurting the ankle worse....

Did you not see him catch a TD of about 65 yards?

I saw him run a go route where the coverage % itself and let him streak wide open. Are you kidding me?  Literally any receiver worthy of being in the NFL would have caught that ball.  It was a perfect pass and quite literally no one within a mile of him even attempting to cover him. It wasn't because of spectacular route running it was because of a busted coverage.

The best part about that is on that one play Dorsett got over a quarter of yards for the season. From one catch. 

Hell even the coaches must've realized how one dimensional he is because they opted for Chester Rogers in 2 receiver sets over him. Hopefully it's because the pain in his ankle was too great and not because he's not a good wide reciever.