Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chester Rogers

Smonroe

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

I like the 6 you have and would be pleased if it worked out that way. I would go Smith over Rogers if I had to pick one. I hope we just keep both. 

I would not forget about Markus Leak when talking about the PS. He's a guy I had as a sleeper before camp. He's another big strong kid with good hands. I was hearing his name before he was injured. Obliviously he needs to get back on the field like now 

I would not.  Smith has dropped a few passes in the preseason....I would love to keep 6.  Not so sure the Front Office feels the same way. 

12 hours ago, Douzer said:

Rogers looks really talented, but really raw. He gets open, but he plays out of balance, has poor field awareness, poor situational awareness, and makes poor decisions with the ball. He's hyper, not in control of his feet or his focus and is a mess once he gets the ball. Smith on the other hand gets open, plays in control and is much more polished. I find it too hard to put Rogers ahead of Smith.

What have you been watching?  Rogers has been terrific.  I don't agree with anything here about Rogers, and neither does Rick Venturi.  I also love Smith, he is smooth.

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

What have you been watching?  Rogers has been terrific.  I don't agree with anything here about Rogers, and neither does Rick Venturi.  I also love Smith, he is smooth.

Yeah, he may not be elite in anything (being undrafted would be an obvious tell), but he's certainly not been "poor."  Watching the game Saturday, he's certainly stood out, maybe more than any other wide receiver after our first 3.  He's clearly been our best punt returner thus far and if he continues to perform well in that aspect, he will probably make the final 53 at bare minimum as a 5th receiver, and grow as a role WR.  

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, he may not be elite in anything (being undrafted would be an obvious tell), but he's certainly not been "poor."  Watching the game Saturday, he's certainly stood out, maybe more than any other wide receiver after our first 3.  He's clearly been our best punt returner thus far and if he continues to perform well in that aspect, he will probably make the final 53 at bare minimum as a 5th receiver, and grow as a role WR.  

Nice post.  The only thing may be that Bray has done very well at KO returns...I LOVE Rogers' hand as a punt returner.

4 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Nice post.  The only thing may be that Bray has done very well at KO returns...I LOVE Rogers' hand as a punt returner.

My thought was that you keep them both as 4 and 5 WRs.  I don't really see any other WR at this point I like more than those two guys, and you've got a good punt/kick returner to boot.  Of course, the rub is always that we can only keep 53, and should another guy emerge as a clear cut 4th WR that doesn't return, we probably keep Bray who can do both (or use a CB/RB to assist in return duties, which isn't ideal because no one's been particuarly good at returning punts besides Rogers, plus we're already short on CB).

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

My thought was that you keep them both as 4 and 5 WRs.  I don't really see any other WR at this point I like more than those two guys, and you've got a good punt/kick returner to boot.  Of course, the rub is always that we can only keep 53, and should another guy emerge as a clear cut 4th WR that doesn't return, we probably keep Bray who can do both (or use a CB/RB to assist in return duties, which isn't ideal because no one's been particuarly good at returning punts besides Rogers, plus we're already short on CB).

I agree on both.  Smith is the one some guys like better than Rogers.  He has looked smooth, but he has also had some drops.  May have been 'nerves' in the preseason game at Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I agree on both.  Smith is the one some guys like better than Rogers.  He has looked smooth, but he has also had some drops.  May have been 'nerves' in the preseason game at Buffalo.

Yeah, unfortunately for UDFAs like Rogers and Smith, drops get you cut pretty quick, unless you have S/T value or you have the talent to be placed on the PS and show you can work out the issue.  Even then, you get a pretty short leash in year 2.  There's still time for Smith to prove he's better (or Rogers to prove he isn't, for that matter).

13 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Rogers is further along at WR than Bray, but QB is 'special' on Special Teams.

Possible. It is all subjective at this point. 

Bray was on the team last year, so I give him the nod until the depth chart says differently. 

22 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Is anyone concerned that our receivers are a little "smallish"?

other than Moncrief of course.  I love the speed but will be interested to see them against aggressive, physical corners. Motion could help i guess

good hands and shorter is better than taller player drops i guess.

A little, but a good OC can combat that.....something the colts have been lacking the last few years.

18 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

One thing to remember is that Quan Bray excels on the kick off team.  He even said he enjoys hitting more than being hit. :)  

Doesn't everyone like to hit more than being hit? I know I did. When it's all said and done I think Bray makes the roster. I think we may go with 6 keep Smith and Chester too.  We have another strong group of UDFA's. I think our consecutive years streak of keeping an UDFA is a lock to continue.

I think Smith could be a really solid pro. I watched a lot of the Hawks my best friend is from Iowa. Those were some of the best naps I took if I disturbed the names I kept hearing were Smith and King  I was surprised he went undrafted even being underused in that system. It would be nice to bring them together next year. 

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Possible. It is all subjective at this point. 

Bray was on the team last year, so I give him the nod until the depth chart says differently. 

I am fine with that philosophy.  I am not concerned personally as to depth chart.  Rogers makes this team with the way he has played.  Bray is great on Special Teams, and Rogers has been superb receiving the ball as well as punt returns.  I trust his hand better than I do Bray's.

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

Doesn't everyone like to hit more than being hit? I know I did. When it's all said and done I think Bray makes the roster. I think we may go with 6 keep Smith and Chester too.  We have another strong group of UDFA's. I think our consecutive years streak of keeping an UDFA is a lock to continue.

I think Smith could be a really solid pro. I watched a lot of the Hawks my best friend is from Iowa. Those were some of the best naps I took if I disturbed the names I kept hearing were Smith and King  I was surprised he went undrafted even being underused in that system. It would be nice to bring them together next year. 

I agree on wanting 6 receivers to make the team.  When I said he likes to hit, I meant as a special teams tackler vs special teams KR/Punt returner. :)

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

I agree on wanting 6 receivers to make the team.  When I said he likes to hit, I meant as a special teams tackler vs special teams KR/Punt returner. :)

I am going to have to go back and rewatch the games. I haven't had the time I usually do. Bray is on punt and kick cover too? A little of topic: what happened to Junior Slyvestre? I was looking forward to seeing him this year. I don't remeber seeing him vs Balt but don't recall any injury news either. 

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I am going to have to go back and rewatch the games. I haven't had the time I usually do. Bray is on punt and kick cover too? A little of topic: what happened to Junior Slyvestre? I was looking forward to seeing him this year. I don't remeber seeing him vs Balt but don't recall any injury news either. 

Sylvestre is still on the team, but it's apparent that they like Edwin Jackson better.  The fact that they let a draft pick like Herrera go while keeping Sylvestre says to me they still like him.  I'm thinking he'll wind up on the PS again.

16 minutes ago, akcolt said:

You know, am am not sure on punt defense.  I think he is.  Someone may know.

JS is recovering from a severe ankle injury and is still on the roster.  No clue when he will be ready.  I like him too akolt!!  Here is a small paragraph from Stampede Blue.

Every year there are undrafted free agents who impress for the Colts (and for every team), and last year one of those players was inside linebacker Junior Sylvestre.  He was one of the stars of preseason for the Colts last year and actually led the team in tackles during the preseason, but he suffered an ankle injury and was placed on season-ending injured reserve as final cuts were being made.  He stood a good chance of making the 53-man roster, though it was still very much uncertain at the time he was placed on IR.  He was very much in the mix at the position and likely could have filled a depth role as a rookie.  Now, he's returning from injury and looking to once again compete.  He played collegiately at Toledo, where he played in 51 games (starting 30) and recorded 286 tackles, 7.5 sacks, an interception, eight passes defensed, and three forced fumbles.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Sylvestre is still on the team, but it's apparent that they like Edwin Jackson better.  The fact that they let a draft pick like Herrera go while keeping Sylvestre says to me they still like him.  I'm thinking he'll wind up on the PS again.

Exactly my thoughts....I did not see your post.  Good job!!

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I haven't had a chance to really watch both games. Krunk I don't remember even seeing him vs Ravens. I saw he put on more weight when the roster came out. The only ILB heavier was DQ maybe he lost some speed? He was all over the place last preseason. He was one of the guys I really wanted to see this year. 

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

I haven't had a chance to really watch both games. Krunk I don't remember even seeing him vs Ravens. I saw he put on more weight when the roster came out. The only ILB heavier was DQ maybe he lost some speed? He was all over the place last preseason. He was one of the guys I really wanted to see this year. 

He's played, but not extensively like the others.   I think he'll get cut but wind up on the PS for continued development.

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Edwin Jackson is just as fast as Sylvestre, has a nose for the ball carrier and he plays more with that Ray Lewis type of grit and hustle so I'm guessing that appeals to them a little bit more.  We'll see what happens but my hunch is Junior will wind up on the PS.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:45 AM, BrentMc11 said:

Lol agreed , as you stated earlier hes got glue for hands and as I mentioned in a different thread , he seems very at home in the slot , no fear across middle. He also has something you either have or you don't , speed and a lot of it .

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:01 PM, BlueShoe said:

I am pretty sure he is making the team. Have the WR's ranked as so:

Wide Receivers
1 13 T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International 5'9" 180
2 10 Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi 6'2" 222
3 15 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami 5'10" 185
4 11 Quan Bray WR Auburn 5'10" 182
5 3 Chester Rogers WR Grambling State 6'1" 180
6 5 Tevaun Smith WR Iowa 6'0" 205
7 8 Marcus Leak WR Maryland 6'0" 210
8 14 Joshua Stangby WR Ottawa (Kans.) 5'10" 185
9 2 MeKale McKay WR Cincinnati 6'3" 204
10 6 Daniel Anthrop WR Purdue 6'0" 193
11 9 Andrew Opoku WR Delaware 6'4" 215

Well Leak and Opoku are cut already I believe they need to give Mckay a legit shot with the ones.

8 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well Leak and Opoku are cut already I believe they need to give Mckay a legit shot with the ones.

This is how I see it now:

Wide Receivers          
1 13 T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International 5'9" 180
2 10 Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi 6'2" 222
3 15 Phillip Dorsett WR Miami 5'10" 185
4 11 Quan Bray WR Auburn 5'10" 182
5 3 Chester Rogers WR Grambling State 6'1" 180
6 5 Tevaun Smith WR Iowa 6'0" 205
7 14 Joshua Stangby WR Ottawa (Kans.) 5'10" 185
8 2 MeKale McKay WR Cincinnati 6'3" 204
9 6 Daniel Anthrop WR Purdue 6'0" 193
10 8 Justin Berger WR Wyoming 6'2" 198