Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills Release Karlos Williams


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Per ESPN. I'd be 100% on board with bringing him in. Suspended for the first 4 games for pot I believe, but dude was a stud last year.

I believe he came into camp out of shape and overweight. He does have a lot of talent though, and if he can correct those issues while suspended, then he could be a major pickup for the team that does just that. It's a low risk/high reward move. normally cutting a 5th round pick from the prior year isn't a big deal, but I could make an argument that he was a top 10 rookie last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW. This is crazy to me. He's 23 years old, coming off a really good rookie season where he rushed for 517 yards, 7 TD's and a whopping 5.6 YPC!!!!!! We need to sign this guy ASAP. He's suspended the first 4 games, and had put on a little weight over the offseason, but I'll take a 23 year old RB who just averaged 5.6 YPC in 93 attempts as a rookie ANY day of the week. I seriously doubt we get involved, but somebody's gonna pick him up and they're going to get a steal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not opposed to this, but you have to be worried about his desire.  Does he really care?  He has a 4 game suspension, and he ballooned to 261 lbs when the Bills have him listed as 229.  Maybe he doesn't care about football, maybe he doesn't want to play for the Bills, I don't know.  But you have to wonder what's going on that a young, productive, talented back would get into this kind of situation

Link to post
Share on other sites

He had a high YPC around 6 and I do like big backs.  Seems like something Grigson would be interested in.

Shouldn't cost too much, but it's concerning that Mr. Ground and Pound himself decided to cut ties.  It would take Williams a while to get acclimated.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

For being overweight and lacking commitment. Very talented, but he had character question marks at FSU, even losing his starting job. And he's suspended for the first four weeks, can't be at any facilities or work with the team after final cuts. I wouldn't touch him right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Via Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, the Bills cut Williams in part because, after losing some of the weight he’d packed on while eating pickles and ice cream with his pregnant fiancee, Williams started gaining it back. Given that the weight gain was happening while in training camp and the preseason, the Bills decided that Williams simply wasn’t serious about football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/20/report-after-losing-weight-karlos-williams-was-gaining-it-back/

 

This sounds like another Trent Richardson situation at a lesser price tag as far as the failure to keep the proper weight and seriousness about football issues.  Williams is definitely worth looking into though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2016 at 5:15 PM, krunk said:

Via Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, the Bills cut Williams in part because, after losing some of the weight he’d packed on while eating pickles and ice cream with his pregnant fiancee, Williams started gaining it back. Given that the weight gain was happening while in training camp and the preseason, the Bills decided that Williams simply wasn’t serious about football.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/20/report-after-losing-weight-karlos-williams-was-gaining-it-back/

 

This sounds like another Trent Richardson situation at a lesser price tag as far as the failure to keep the proper weight and seriousness about football issues.  Williams is definitely worth looking into though. 

 

Considering he can be had at league min with no guaranteed money I don't understand why someone isn't kicking the tires on him.  

 

Maybe getting cut will wake him up and make him get serious about football.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Considering he can be had at league min with no guaranteed money I don't understand why someone isn't kicking the tires on him.  

 

Maybe getting cut will wake him up and make him get serious about football.  

It's the weight and commitment issues.  The 4 game suspension doesn't help either.  If I knew where his head was at I'd take him over Turbin.  However as of right now I'm not real sure his commitment level or what is going on inside his head mentally.  There must be something going on in his personal life we haven't found out about yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:17 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bills are having a marvelous August so far aren't they? No wonder why the Pats win that Division every season because the other 3 stooges in that Division have players that seem to get injured, mediocre to Bad QB's or players that get suspended and they cant cut the mustard.

And I thought the AFC south was the only division that was soft? :scratch:  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, krunk said:

It's the weight and commitment issues.  The 4 game suspension doesn't help either.  If I knew where his head was at I'd take him over Turbin.  However as of right now I'm not real sure his commitment level or what is going on inside his head mentally.  There must be something going on in his personal life we haven't found out about yet.

 

As far as I can see though you can bring him into camp, practice him and then when the season starts put him on the suspended list for 4 games.  If by the end of his suspension you don't think he's committed to playing football, dump him and you've lost nothing.  

 

Because of that suspension we don't even have to make room for him on the 53 man roster.  And Jim Irsay doesn't have to pay him any money until his suspension is up.  

 

Honestly we need a young RB who can start really bad and this is such a low risk proposition that I just don't understand why we arn't moving on it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

As far as I can see though you can bring him into camp, practice him and then when the season starts put him on the suspended list for 4 games.  If by the end of his suspension you don't think he's committed to playing football, dump him and you've lost nothing.  

 

Because of that suspension we don't even have to make room for him on the 53 man roster.  And Jim Irsay doesn't have to pay him any money until his suspension is up.  

 

Honestly we need a young RB who can start really bad and this is such a low risk proposition that I just don't understand why we arn't moving on it. 

He's visiting the Jets right now along with 5 teams

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/23/12616102/karlos-williams-visiting-jets-five-other-teams-interested

 

wont be surprised if the Jets sign him to replace Ivory. plus you know he's going to want to pay the Bills back. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's visiting the Jets right now along with 5 teams

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/8/23/12616102/karlos-williams-visiting-jets-five-other-teams-interested

 

wont be surprised if the Jets sign him to replace Ivory.

 

 

 

 

Jets already have Forte.  Although they maybe looking for someone young.  Reports are that Forte seems to be declining. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

And I thought the AFC south was the only division that was soft? :scratch:  :D

The NFC South is soft too. The Panthers are probably the only team that will finish above .500. Take them out of the Division and that is dumpster fire of a Division. The Saints are a .500 team and once Brees retires they will stink, Falcons and Bucs will be lucky to be .500. People talk about our Division being weak but the AFC East and NFC South are just as bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Considering he can be had at league min with no guaranteed money I don't understand why someone isn't kicking the tires on him.  

 

Maybe getting cut will wake him up and make him get serious about football.  

So why do you think Chuck can coach him when Rex couldn't?  Rex is known as a players coach just as Chuck is. The dude has a couple of good games but since then has shown no ability to control himself. IMO we have enough problems now without taking on more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So why do you think Chuck can coach him when Rex couldn't?  Rex is known as a players coach just as Chuck is. The dude has a couple of good games but since then has shown no ability to control himself. IMO we have enough problems now without taking on more.

Neither Chuck or Rex coach the offense   Just saying 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So why do you think Chuck can coach him when Rex couldn't?  Rex is known as a players coach just as Chuck is. The dude has a couple of good games but since then has shown no ability to control himself. IMO we have enough problems now without taking on more.

 

I'm not saying he can.  Although honestly I think Rex Ryan's teams have terrible discipline on the field.  That might extend to off the field as well. 

 

I'm saying that perhaps being cut might get the guy to take football more seriously.

 

It's just out and out stupid.  We give people who commit terrible crimes a 2nd chance in the NFL.  Shoot sometimes 3rd, 4th and 5th chances.  I mean look at Greg Hardy.  Karlos Williams gained 20 pounds, he didn't beat a woman within an inch of her life like Greg Hardy did.  

 

But the dude is 20 pounds overweight and the whole NFL world is suppose to just decide. . . eh he's done, nothing we can do here.  No thought to bringing him in and saying "Hey we have this contract but you can be cut without costing us a dime, so here is the rub. . . you show progress and you loose some weight by the time your suspension is over or your chance here is done.  

 

Eddie Lacy got fat, his coach told him to lose some weight and he lost some weight.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I'm not saying he can.  Although honestly I think Rex Ryan's teams have terrible discipline on the field.  That might extend to off the field as well. 

 

I'm saying that perhaps being cut might get the guy to take football more seriously.

 

It's just out and out stupid.  We give people who commit terrible crimes a 2nd chance in the NFL.  Shoot sometimes 3rd, 4th and 5th chances.  I mean look at Greg Hardy.  Karlos Williams gained 20 pounds, he didn't beat a woman within an inch of her life like Greg Hardy did.  

 

But the dude is 20 pounds overweight and the whole NFL world is suppose to just decide. . . eh he's done, nothing we can do here.  No thought to bringing him in and saying "Hey we have this contract but you can be cut without costing us a dime, so here is the rub. . . you show progress and you loose some weight by the time your suspension is over or your chance here is done.  

 

Eddie Lacy got fat, his coach told him to lose some weight and he lost some weight.  

You could be right. The weight issue is not the only problem. If he has received a suspension for cannabis it was at least his 3rd or 4th failed test. So overlooking that would not be smart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You could be right. The weight issue is not the only problem. If he has received a suspension for cannabis it was at least his 3rd or 4th failed test. So overlooking that would not be smart.

 

Fair enough. . . but he still IMO has value until he gets hit with the season long suspension.  

 

Don't get me wrong, the guy seems like he's throwing away his chance because of weed and eating.  But I don't think he's reached a hopeless level. . . not yet at least.  

 

And my thought it perhaps getting cut despite having had a good season will wake him up to the fact that if he doesn't clean up his act the NFL goes away.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2016 at 2:07 PM, CheezyColt said:

Per ESPN. I'd be 100% on board with bringing him in. Suspended for the first 4 games for pot I believe, but dude was a stud last year.

we dont need another TRich situation....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we dont need another TRich situation....

If this happens it wouldn't even be in the ball park of the TRich deal. No draft picks would be involved and league minimum with no guarantees. There is no comparison. Somehow I don't think you thought this out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If this happens it wouldn't even be in the ball park of the TRich deal. No draft picks would be involved and league minimum with no guarantees. There is no comparison. Somehow I don't think you thought this out.

no, what I meant was an out of shape running back with issues with weight control.  Let alone his off and away from football adventures.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, csmopar said:

no, what I meant was an out of shape running back with issues with weight control.  Let alone his off and away from football adventures.

I understand that point. But with the amount of risk involved (read: none) and our severe need for a young running back with potential, I think it'd be wise to bring him in and at least talk to him. He's already shown that he doesn't have TRich's lack of vision. There's going to be some good running backs in next year's draft, but in order to get one of them, we'd have to use a 1st or 2nd rounder that I'd rather use on a pass rusher or cornerback.

 

I just think this could be a potential coup. Then again, we've had our fair share of issues with players with "character concerns"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would pass on this kid. We have Gore and some young guys of our own namely Trey Williams. I doubt the staff is ready to give up on Ferguson. I don't see the need this season.

 

We should be able to grab a RB in next years draft without the weight problem and character concerns. If Rex cuts you and you have talent there's bigger problems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, akcolt said:

I would pass on this kid. We have Gore and some young guys of our own namely Trey Williams. I doubt the staff is ready to give up on Ferguson. I don't see the need this season.

 

We should be able to grab a RB in next years draft without the weight problem and character concerns. If Rex cuts you and you have talent there's bigger problems. 

I think Williams has some talent, but you're right it's real odd for Rex Ryan to give up on a young draft pick like that so fast.  Especially with how much he likes to run the football.  And for them to go and draft another back with a decent draft pick directly after Williams showed significant progress it almost makes you feel like they saw trouble last year behind the scenes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...