Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question for some fans on here...

Why is it that at this point in the off season with the "good free agents" off the board, feel it's no big deal the Colts have done nothing? Several of u disagreed with my statement in other posts in regards to the afc south. As it sits currently we would easily be 3rd in the division.  Jacksonville has helped thier defense quite a bit and I'm sure they will add a cb yet,plus they added Chris ivory. This team killed us last year (so what luck was out,we couldn't stop them) and if they had a kicker they beat us twice. Houston now has a decent qb (no more hoyer the turnover machine),they add a great back in Miller who doesn't get hurt and was under utilized in Miami or his numbers would been better,plus few other pieces they signed with an already great defense, they did beat us last year. All we did is resign a few that could of went either way,signed a backup qb,and lost several that could of went either way. What been done to help the oline? Luck is no longer injury proof and who is to say this team with be on the same page all year,they were nowhere near that last year. My opinions anyway.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are other factors to take into consideration here, but let's just remember one thing. After we signed Andre, Gore, Langford and Cole, we were Super Bowl bound right? The pundits were hyping us up, this board was jacked with the signings.... The players still have to perform and they still have to play the games. Plus as long as Luck is healthy, I'll give us a fighting chance in any game

I think the Colts are taking the long term approach to fixing the roster.  Fans might not like this because it probably means they won't fill all the holes in one off-season. 

Part of of this is because they just don't have a lot of cap space right now to go out and buy big time free agents.  They spent most of it keeping Hilton, AC, Allen, and Adam.  They are also still working on a deal to keep Luck which will probably eat into the space they have left.  They also need to keep about 5.5 for rookies.  Add in another couple of million of in season moves and they probably only have like 5 to 7 million to play with assuming they extend Luck at some point.

The other part of this is that I think they are refocusing to building through the draft.  That has been the model that has worked for years in the NFL.  However it's going to require some patience from Colts fans because it's probably going to take a couple of years at least to get all the parts they need.

I have to agree that the Colts are not as good a team as they were a month ago where other teams have gotten better.   That's all just on paper though.   At this point though, I buy that paper.   Seems we are expecting too much in the draft.  

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

I have to agree that the Colts are not as good a team as they were a month ago where other teams have gotten better.   That's all just on paper though.   At this point though, I buy that paper.   Seems we are expecting too much in the draft.  

Except that they will have a new offensive system, defensive coordinator, and Oline coach; and  Art Jones and DA are healthy, and Dorsett is set to get AJ's minutes..  I think they are better on paper

There is still some good players left in FA. Heyward, Weddle, Stefan Wisniewski just to name a few. I think the plan is to wait a couple weeks for the initial FA wave to die down and then pick up some discount FA's who can fill the holes adequately enough for a few years. We'll try to get our best players through the draft. Fans may not like it, but this strategy works. Just look at NE, or GB. They are contenders year in year out.

I am also surprised they haven't made any FA moves yet besides re-signing their own guys and letting some walk.

I still think they are doing what they planned all along. Patience is the key.

This is going to be a two to three year thing. I still believe that the Colts will play well this year and that the plan the front office has should work.

If we are waiting to sign luck before making other moves what is the hold up? Both sides have known for over a year the luck deal needs to get done. Irsay is on record as saying he will get the highest deal in history. While we wait other teams are making improvements. I know the optimist will say no big deal, FA bust and so on and so forth, but the idea is to make your team better. Not every FA is a bust. There are actually players who help teams.

The Broncos just won the super bowl, a lot of that was drafted talent, but let's not act like that team did not add talib, ware, tj ward over a few years to get better.

Two years ago the Patriots added Darrel Revis. I have my doubts they win the super bowl without that addition. 

We have huge holes at corner, guard, center, and olb (pass rusher is a necessity). We are unproven at safety and Ilb and if Adams declines at all (very possible at his age) we are poor at safety. If we can address all these needs at the draft then it's a non-issue but that's very unlikely. 

Apparently, up to this point, the Texans, Titans, and Jags have gotten "better" in FA, while the Colts have gotten "worse".

I remember last year when the Jets, and Dolphins got "better" than the Pats during FA because they landed Revis and Suh...

And the Raiders get "better" in FA every single year...

I'm glad that the Colts aren't wasting money in FA (for once).

The Colts organization has made a turn. A turn that invites stability, value, & longevity by correct selection. Patience through draft. Extended winning programs follow this course vehemently with much success. The selective personnel are in place to make these changes. It all starts with this year's draft and will more than likely extend into several more. By listening to & watching the Colts actions so far, it certainly appears to this fan that they're deadly serious about what they've stated & acted upon after this last season.

45 minutes ago, Moncrief said:

I know there are other factors to take into consideration here, but let's just remember one thing. After we signed Andre, Gore, Langford and Cole, we were Super Bowl bound right? The pundits were hyping us up, this board was jacked with the signings.... The players still have to perform and they still have to play the games. Plus as long as Luck is healthy, I'll give us a fighting chance in any game

Yeah but not if he's on his back on every passing play.

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Apparently, up to this point, the Texans, Titans, and Jags have gotten "better" in FA, while the Colts have gotten "worse".

I remember last year when the Jets, and Dolphins got "better" than the Pats during FA because they landed Revis and Suh...

And the Raiders get "better" in FA every single year...

I'm glad that the Colts aren't wasting money in FA (for once).

Yeah they'll spend all there cap space on one player. Luck needs to take to less so he's not ripe to shreds on every passing plays. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Except that they will have a new offensive system, defensive coordinator, and Oline coach; and  Art Jones and DA are healthy, and Dorsett is set to get AJ's minutes..  I think they are better on paper

Who's going to block for our multi-million dollar QB?

3 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah they'll spend all there cap space on one player. Luck needs to take to less so he's not ripe to shreds on every passing plays. 

What?

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Who's going to block for our multi-million dollar QB?

Castanzo, Mewhort, Thornton, Holmes, and Reitz probably.

Just now, ColtRider said:

The Colts organization has made a turn. A turn that invites stability, value, & longevity by correct selection. Patience through draft. Extended winning programs follow this course vehemently with much success. The selective personnel are in place to make these changes. It all starts with this year's draft and will more than likely extend into several more. By listening to & watching the Colts actions so far, it certainly appears to this fan that they're deadly serious about what they've stated & acted upon after this last season.

I don't get the notion that using free agency invites instability.  This isn't basketball or baseball where players have long term guaranteed contracts.  Grigson's problem is he was horrible in free agency and mediocre at best in the draft.

16 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I'm in favor of this too.   It just seems that there are more holes to fill than the draft will provide.   I'm glad they haven't spent huge money on this first round of free agents, but hope they fill some holes prior to draft day.  

2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

It sounds like they want to build the o-line through the draft but it takes time for these to develope.

The Colts either need to upgrade the C position or the RG position.  I don't think both is an immediate need.  A couple of good Cs should be available in the 2nd round, and college Ts always project to NFL Gs, so there should be plenty of options for our second round pick.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't get the notion that using free agency invites instability.  This isn't basketball or baseball where players have long term guaranteed contracts.  Grigson's problem is he was horrible in free agency and mediocre at best in the draft.

Your last sentence is most likely true if he was the lone acting responsible road. By title it certainly lays blame. No argument there. The only reason for keeping RG around through Irsay's mind is up for that argument. I tend to think Grigson's responsibilities have changed. As to what that is ... anyone's guess. Mine is the final say in the draft which he more than likely does not possess anymore without consensual agreement.

I still think we can beat Houston and Jacks. Bortles has to prove to me he can maintain decent play, until he does they aren't beating us as long as Andrew is healthy. Same for Brock with Houston. The QB position remains the most important and we have the best one in the Division. Defense wins Championships or basically balance does as I have stated but if you have a Great QB you can win in the Regular Season. Houston nor Jacks is beating us here in Indy if Andrew is healthy.

6 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Or Castonzo, Mewhort, (new guy), (new guy) and Reitz.

Hopefully, yes.  And I like Reitz because he's a hometown guy, but I'd be Ok with him being a backup.  He's like a swiss army knife.  He can do just about anything, but he's not the best for, say, "chopping wood"...

So many posters keep saying the best way to build a team is by being patient and building thru the draft. I agree with this aproach to a certain degree but we don't have a team with out a starting QB (Luck). Everyone keeps saying as long as we have Luck we are going to be competitive in our division, have a winning team blah blah blah... To this i also agree, but if we don't adress our O-line we will not have Luck a full season and if we do it wont be a good Andrew Luck, it will be a rushed / sacked, picked off Andrew Luck like weve seen many times before. If we go all out in the draft to fix our O-line then our D suffers. We do need to start relying heavily on the draft for long term stability, but we still need to do a little fishing in free agency if we want to stay at the top of our division IMO.

1 hour ago, Moncrief said:

Id agree, except most posters here thought all those free agents would suck donkey.  The only guy I had any high expectations for was Johnson and he failed miserably. The only good player of the bunch ended up being Langford. Most of us who clamor for a little bit of free agency spending want it to be on young upstarts, not these has beens that you just listed off as proof of your point. 

So many posters are preaching patience ... "we are doing it the right way building solidly through the draft like NE, GB, Pitt, etc .."  The problem is 1) Grigson has not shown he has the ability to sustain us through the draft alone; and 2) We already heard this "have patience" speech except it was "have some patience Grigson had to rebuild the whole team and while dealing with our salary cap issues"; so we all waited and what did we get for our patience ???  A wasted rookie contract on our QB and another rebuild we need to "have patience with".

Can't wait for the "have patience Luck is only 30 speech"! 

33 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Id agree, except most posters here thought all those free agents would suck donkey.  The only guy I had any high expectations for was Johnson and he failed miserably. The only good player of the bunch ended up being Langford. Most of us who clamor for a little bit of free agency spending want it to be on young upstarts, not these has beens that you just listed off as proof of your point. 

You hit on something with a little bit of free agency. Some seem to keep over looking why a lot of these players become free agents in the first place. Age, under performing, greed and bad contracts are some of the problems we can do without.

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

A wasted rookie contract on our QB

Try to have some perspective man.  Russel Wilson had a dream rookie contract because he rode a great defense to a championship.

But outside of anyone name Manning, Brady, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, or Brees, nobody else has won a Super Bowl recently, much less on a rookie contract.  Luck came close, and has had a pretty epic rookie contract in terms of wins and stats.

8 minutes ago, esmort said:

So many posters are preaching patience ... "we are doing it the right way building solidly through the draft like NE, GB, Pitt, etc .."  The problem is 1) Grigson has not shown he has the ability to sustain us through the draft alone; and 2) We already heard this "have patience" speech except it was "have some patience Grigson had to rebuild the whole team and while dealing with our salary cap issues"; so we all waited and what did we get for our patience ???  A wasted rookie contract on our QB and another rebuild we need to "have patience with".

Can't wait for the "have patience Luck is only 30 speech"! 

So what is the answer? More whine? More trashing the FO? More bashing players? How many more threads started saying the same old stuff?  I think most of us know exactly what the problems are but sitting around whining and crying is not going to change anything. We can all have opinions and ideas on what we would do but that is a waist of time. As fans we have no choice but to wait and see. So Grigson hasn't signed what some think is an impact free agent? Would that pacify the fans if that took place? No, there would be something else to take it's place to whine about or someone else to bash.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Try to have some perspective man.  Russel Wilson had a dream rookie contract because he rode a great defense to a championship.

But outside of anyone name Manning, Brady, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, or Brees, nobody else has won a Super Bowl recently, much less on a rookie contract.  Luck came close, and has had a pretty epic rookie contract in terms of wins and stats.

Had the correct choices been made we could have a legitimate SB shot, but we know that didn't happen.  With that being said I would rather have used Lucks rookie contract to acquire the pieces that had primed us to be a perennial legitimate SB contender by last season or this season ... Instead of a couple of good seasons but not really a SB contender. Now we have to "be patient" again because Grigson jacked it up the first time. 

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

Had the correct choices been made we could have a legitimate SB shot, but we know that didn't happen.  With that being said I would rather have used Lucks rookie contract to acquire the pieces that had primed us to be a perennial legitimate SB contender by last season or this season ... Instead of a couple of good seasons but not really a SB contender. Now we have to "be patient" again because Grigson jacked it up the first time. 

OK, so what are you going to do? Keep preaching to those who already know this? You are not saying anything new. Grigson is the GM. You can dislike it all you care to but it changes nothing. Being a broken record serves no purpose.

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

Didn't mean to quote this.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what is the answer? More whine? More trashing the FO? More bashing players? How many more threads started saying the same old stuff?  I think most of us know exactly what the problems are but sitting around whining and crying is not going to change anything. We can all have opinions and ideas on what we would do but that is a waist of time. As fans we have no choice but to wait and see. So Grigson hasn't signed what some think is an impact free agent? Would that pacify the fans if that took place? No, there would be something else to take it's place to whine about or someone else to bash.

The answer is likely the eventual departure of Grigson. 

When there is little to nothing to be positive about, might as well let people vent.  What would you suggest as multiple positive topics for discussion concerning the Colts right now? 

5 minutes ago, esmort said:

Please name a SB winner that hasn't had to "be patient".

Nobody has repeated since the Pats, and they had to wait a decade after their "dynasty" to get another one.

If it was easy enough that you didn't have to "be patient", then every GM would check that box and avoid "being patient" with an ever-changing diverse staff.