Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Peyton potential new owner of the Titans

SkyBane

So as I said in a previous thread, the Titan's ownership is being investigated by the league for gross mismanagement, possibly resulting in a forced sale. What I didn't mention was the rumor (here) that there is a push within the NFL to form an ownership group around Peyton Manning should a forced sale come to pass. Manning would be the central figure of the group, and have ownership power over all football decisions.

Basically, Manning would become the Titans

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

I know Manning is rich, but is he NFL-owner rich? Seems like wishful thinking from the Titans brass.

Don't forget, his wife Ashley is already an owner of a pro sports team in the Memphis Grizzlies. He also makes a stake as part owner of Papa Johns Pizza. That's a family with some money to throw around.

4 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Don't forget, his wife Ashley is already an owner of a pro sports team in the Memphis Grizzlies. He also makes a stake as part owner of Papa Johns Pizza. That's a family with some money to throw around.

True. I just usually think of old, white billionaires when I think of NFL owners lol. I think PM would like a break from football as well once he retires, but that's just my opinion on the matter. It'd definitely be interesting to see him involved in a big way in the AFC South again. I just don't think it's likely.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He would be part of an ownership group.  He would have plenty of investors if that is something he wants to do

I agree, jvan! Peyton could do just about anything NFL within reason & feasibility. Not too many players enjoy that luxury after their playing career. Peyton strikes me as a guy who has to be around the game he loves so dearly. Whatever that entails after is playing days are over surely would be successful IMO. The guy has a savvy about him along with the NFL/ business genius to do just about anything that hits his fancy.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a relative, actually an uncle that lives in Tennessee and he called earlier and we just talked about this topic on the phone. He seemed excited like this may happen. Go for it Peyton.

The Mannings are beloved in the state of Tennessee. Peyton was a boon to the vols back in his college days, and his wife bought the Grizzlies to keep them from moving out of Memphis. If the reports are true, the NFL wants Peyton involved with the Titans on a higher level to push a better product to the field, and given his history, I'd think it would at least be tempting.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He would be part of an ownership group.  He would have plenty of investors if that is something he wants to do

About 2 months back I read he may if he so decides to,  to be in some form of ownership / GM or something high up with titans , as someone already ,  noted wife owns Grisleys,  also hes Ten Volunteer alum, its one of the cities he called home and other reasons given and the titans oner/ management at the time were all for it & he is considered royalty there

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

Let's just say if it happened, it would create an interesting rivalry with Jim Irsay. 

Wouldn't that be something? Talk about drama? :)  Seriously though, it sure would be interesting from the viewpoint of ownership if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, bayone said:

About 2 months back I read he may if he so decides to,  to be in some form of ownership / GM or something high up with titans , as someone already ,  noted wife owns Grisleys,  also hes Ten Volunteer alum, its one of the cities he called home and other reasons given and the titans oner/ management at the time were all for it & he is considered royalty there

True that. I have a brother who lives in Tenn. and he said Peyton is so popular there he could run for Governor and more than likely win.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

True that. I have a brother who lives in Tenn. and he said Peyton is so popular there he could run for Governor and more than likely win.

He should just get into politics. It would be easy as heck for Manning in the South. OMG......they would be lining up on the streets just to see him

1 hour ago, Jules said:

This would suck. This is our division rival who we hate. I hate the Broncos too.

Peyton going on with these AFC teams (whether the rumors are true or not) is like finding out if my favorite ex boyfriend is with my sister.

That depends on how well you get along with your sister doesn't it Jules? Just joking! 

10 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

True. I just usually think of old, white billionaires when I think of NFL owners lol. I think PM would like a break from football as well once he retires, but that's just my opinion on the matter. It'd definitely be interesting to see him involved in a big way in the AFC South again. I just don't think it's likely.

I definitely agree with that QB. Peyton, once he retires from the league, needs a brief break from football. He will return to the NFL  in some front office capacity though eventually IMO. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I definitely agree with that QB. Peyton, once he retires from the league, needs a brief break from football. He will return to the NFL  in some front office capacity though eventually IMO. 

The problem with that line of thinking is that ownership positions only open up once in a blue moon. This is going to be a jump now or lose out for a long time opportunity if it's something he's interested in. It really all depends on whether he's interested or not, and whether the ownership group that's being pushed internally can match outside offers.

5 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

The problem with that line of thinking is that ownership positions only open up once in a blue moon. This is going to be a jump now or lose out for a long time opportunity if it's something he's interested in. It really all depends on whether he's interested or not, and whether the ownership group that's being pushed internally can match outside offers.

Highly doubtful the league forces Bud Adams to sell.    If they do,    it will take awhile

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Highly doubtful the league forces Bud Adams to sell.    If they do,    it will take awhile

Bud Adams has been dead awhile, and the kids he left in charge are currently under investigation for mismanagement, so the process has already begun.

1 minute ago, SkyBane said:

Bud Adams has been dead awhile, and the kids he left in charge are currently under investigation for mismanagement, so the process has already begun.

The process will be a lengthy one,   ending with a long court battle.   It isn't gong to happen any time soon was my larger point

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The process will be a lengthy one,   ending with a long court battle.   It isn't gong to happen any time soon was my larger point

That's fair. But it also just really lends credence to the idea that Peyton could be in the running. With the "time away" people think he will take being about the time it would take for this to hit a point that the Titans go up for sale (which a few insiders seem to think is a foregone conclusion one way or another).

51 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Manning is different though because of his name, prestige, integrity, & squeaky clean pitch man persona associated with humor, winning, & family friendly products. Once 18 signs on, other donors with deep pockets will follow in droves. 

Any owner will welcome Peyton whenever he's ready to walk thru the door on his terms not theirs because his name = a sure thing or a lucrative, money making enterprise hand over fist. 

Just now, southwest1 said:

Manning is different though because of his name, prestige, integrity, & squeaky clean pitch man persona associated with humor, winning, & family friendly products. Once 18 signs on, other donors with deep pockets will follow in droves. 

An owner will welcome Peyton whenever he's ready to walk thru the door on his terms not theirs because his name = a sure thing or a lucrative, money making enterprise hand over fist. 

As an executive, sure. But if he want's to buy in to a team, an owner would have to be willing to sell. They usually aren't unless they're hand is forced by either inheriting it when they didn't care to run it, or the league offices. The current owners of the Titans have shown they don't really care to run the franchise, but also aren't willing to outright sell because of how lucrative it is. The NFL would rather not have a franchise just be left to rot through nobody caring (stupidity is another matter), so they may force a sale on the Titans. 

If Peyton wants an ownership in it, it's basically jump at that point, or forever hold his peace.

14 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

As an executive, sure. But if he want's to buy in to a team, an owner would have to be willing to sell. They usually aren't unless they're hand is forced by either inheriting it when they didn't care to run it, or the league offices. The current owners of the Titans have shown they don't really care to run the franchise, but also aren't willing to outright sell because of how lucrative it is. The NFL would rather not have a franchise just be left to rot through nobody caring (stupidity is another matter), so they may force a sale on the Titans. 

If Peyton wants an ownership in it, it's basically jump at that point, or forever hold his peace.

A nice post SB. All salient points except you're assuming that the Titans are his only option. What about the Broncos with Coors beer, Papa John's Pizza, & legal pot sales? I personally don't that Peyton wants sole controlling interest in a football franchise just a substantial chuck of it for profitability purposes like an auxiliary 401 K retirement income plan or piece of the pie. 

I get the Tennessee connection with his college roots there, but the American SW is a large market in Colorado too. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

A nice post SB. All salient points except you're assuming that the Titans are his only option. What about the Broncos with Coors beer, Papa John's Pizza, & legal pot sales? I personally don't that Peyton wants sole controlling interest in a football franchise just a substantial chuck of it for profitability purposes like an auxiliary 401 K retirement income plan or piece of the pie. 

I get the Tennessee connection with his college roots there, but the American SW is a large market in Colorado too. 

The current ownership of the Broncos wouldn't sell. Doesn't matter if he wants power or not, that's profit they are losing. Elway is probably the closest as anyone will get, and he's just an executive. The Titans look to be the next team for sale, so anyone who wants ownership in an NFL team will have to jump on that or wait years for another opportunity.

This isn't like corporations where you can just buy in via shares, these teams are entirely privately owned (with permission by the NFL). You need both the owner to sell, and the NFL's permission have ownership in an NFL team. If ownership is a route Peyton wants to go in, the Titans would be his first opportunity, and one close to home which would make it tempting.

In short, yes, the Titans would be his only option if ownership is something he wishes to pursue.

9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Let's just say if it happened, it would create an interesting rivalry with Jim Irsay. 

Peyton lied to us when he said he was going to kick our butt for the next 14 years. He might be kicking it for the next 60! He will be like Dan Rooney from the Steelers. So old he can barely grab the Lombardi.

19 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

The current ownership of the Broncos wouldn't sell. Doesn't matter if he wants power or not, that's profit they are losing. Elway is probably the closest as anyone will get, and he's just an executive. The Titans look to be the next team for sale, so anyone who wants ownership in an NFL team will have to jump on that or wait years for another opportunity.

This isn't like corporations where you can just buy in via shares, these teams are entirely privately owned (with permission by the NFL). You need both the owner to sell, and the NFL's permission have ownership in an NFL team. If ownership is a route Peyton wants to go in, the Titans would be his first opportunity, and one close to home which would make it tempting.

In short, yes, the Titans would be his only option if ownership is something he wishes to pursue.

Personally, I never understand why some fans not you SB think that elite QBs like Manning wants an ownership interest in any team anyway.

Simply put, just because Peyton may want an ownership piece in the Titans it doesn't necessarily mean he's interested in day to day operations or even good at it because running a franchise requires a different set of skills. Look at Micheal Jordan. A HOF NBA superstar who needed some time before he figured out how to manage a team fiscally & soundly. 

It always baffles me how so many fans think HOF players wanna own a professional team or run it. Why? Being an exceptional athlete doesn't mean you can unlock, detect, or pass on that knowledge to rookies effectively. Knowing something internally & teaching it to someone else thoroughly is an entirely different animal in my estimation. Don't confuse the 2 scenarios. 

The other thing that makes me chuckle is when fans say maybe 18 can come back to INDY & be our QB coach. Wouldn't that be great? Ah no, not for Manning who's being dissecting game film for almost 20 + years. Let the guy enjoy being a dad & private citizen for a few years at least totally away from sports. JMO. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Personally, I never understand why some fans not you SB think that elite QBs like Manning wants an ownership interest in any team anyway.

Simply put, just because Peyton may want an ownership piece in the Titans it doesn't necessarily mean he's interested in day to day operations or even good at it because running a franchise requires a different set of skills. Look at Micheal Jordan. A HOF NBA superstar who needed some time before he figured out how to manage a team fiscally & soundly. 

It always baffles me how so many fans think HOF players wanna own a professional team or run it. Why? Being an exceptional athlete doesn't mean you can unlock, detect, or pass on that knowledge to rookies effectively. Knowing something internally & teaching it to someone else thoroughly is an entirely different animal in my estimation. Don't confuse the 2 scenarios. 

Well, this is really only a rumor, and only has traction because of the FOX sports report that the NFL is pushing internally to have him as a the central figure in an ownership group to buy (meaning he would hold the reigns). It's said nothing on Peyton's wants or views regarding it. At this point, it's all just rumors and speculation, but it's not just out of nothing.

53 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Well, this is really only a rumor, and only has traction because of the FOX sports report that the NFL is pushing internally to have him as a the central figure in an ownership group to buy (meaning he would hold the reigns). It's said nothing on Peyton's wants or views regarding it. At this point, it's all just rumors and speculation, but it's not just out of nothing.

Having a marquee name involved in a team buy out or investment group does have some clout & pull sure, but the other thing to keep in mind is like Jvan said selling an NFL franchise takes considerable time since the new partners interested in purchasing the team need to be vetted & flushed out in order to ensure that all the parters are legally above board with no red flags or suspicious activity or associations etc. etc. 

A lot of athletes don't want too wait that long for approval or have their backgrounds completely investigated & every stone kicked over. It's a long process & peoples patience can run thin waiting for a final answer too. It wouldn't surprise if Peyton decided to decline this Titans ownership opportunity personally. 

In addition, in my experience, highly competitive people who excelled on the field have a hard time dealing with failure or struggles working in a new role or capacity. When something is new & foreign & their new venture stumbles, it's a difficult pill to swallow especially when winning used to come easy to them as NFL QBs or they knew what to do to fix the situation & now they have no idea what to do in order to stop a team from losing.