Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson & Caldwell

Warhorse

Keeping Caldwell for right now is far and away the most logical choice. There is enough going on right now without dumping all the coaches as well. Despite what some seem to think, the Colts are NOT the St Louis Rams - throwing out the baby, the bathwater, the bathtub, and starting over clean. If Grigson decides over time that he'd prefer another coach, he can let Caldwells contract expire and replace him next year - earlier in the offseason and after a proper search - when he is the established GM instead of a newbie who is still trying to figure out where the office supplies are kept.

Well, thats your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Thats why it almost never happens(a new GM keeping the existing coach). There is absolutely no better time to fire Caldwell than right now. IMO it would be a horrible idea for Grigson to keep caldwell hanging around, he is not a good coach and nobody will never convince me otherwise. I don't care if he's such a nice guy, being nice don't make a good coach and to keep him because they like the guy and thinks he's a wonderful person is a downright stupid idea.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thats your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree. Thats why it almost never happens(a new GM keeping the existing coach). There is absolutely no better time to fire Caldwell than right now. IMO it would be a horrible idea for Grigson to keep caldwell hanging around, he is not a good coach and nobody will never convince me otherwise. I don't care if he's such a nice guy, being nice don't make a good coach and to keep him because they like the guy and thinks he's a wonderful person is a downright stupid idea.

I agree. Right now I would take almost anybody with NFL experience over Caldwell.

The key element is whether or not Irsay and Grigson think that he is a good coach. If they do, why exactly would they fire him? They aren't going to do it to appease the fans, and they aren't going to do it just get a fresh start as if they are the Raiders coming off failed coach #42 and several years of abject failure. And it's not the perfect time to do it for the teams benefit in my opinion, it's actual a pretty lousy time for that. It's just the convenient time to do it politically for Grigson - but he's made it clear that he isn't all that worried about politics.

If we do keep Caldwell, he better not cost us another run at the Super Bowl.

I saw enough of this 2-14 season to know about his in-game adjustments. In the worlds of Charles Barkley, "TURRIBLE."

I actually saw quite a few adjustments especially on the offensive side. What I didn't see were many defensive adjustments until Murphy became the DC. So do you think it's possible that Caldwell met with Coyer and half time and said something to the effect of maybe you should try this or that or the other thing. And Coyer just refused and thus is one of the reasons he was fired during the season?

The key element is whether or not Irsay and Grigson think that he is a good coach. If they do, why exactly would they fire him? They aren't going to do it to appease the fans, and they aren't going to do it just get a fresh start as if they are the Raiders coming off failed coach #42 and several years of abject failure. And it's not the perfect time to do it for the teams benefit in my opinion, it's actual a pretty lousy time for that. It's just the convenient time to do it politically for Grigson - but he's made it clear that he isn't all that worried about politics.

Here's the thing, I have never once heard Irsay say he thinks Caldwell is a good coach(maybe he has, but I haven't heard it) everytime he talks about Caldwell he just says how good of a man he is and how smart he is, neither of which, makes him a good coach. To drag out the inevitable(IMO) and keep Caldwell at least another yr. does nothing but hinder the team from moving forward.

Here's the thing, I have never once heard Irsay say he thinks Caldwell is a good coach(maybe he has, but I haven't heard it) everytime he talks about Caldwell he just says how good of a man he is and how smart he is, neither of which, makes him a good coach. To drag out the inevitable(IMO) and keep Caldwell at least another yr. does nothing but hinder the team from moving forward.

On multiple occasions he has complimented the job he did last year (making the playoffs despite all the injuries) and the year before in the context of reminding people not to go overboard about this year. Don't forget that he has empirical evidence that Caldwell can take a team to the Super Bowl. More importantly, dumping Caldwell essentially means that there would be incredible upheaval on the offense. Why would you do that to Peyton?. I would say that even if he brings in a coach it would at a minimum involve offering Caldwell the offensive co-ordinator position (with probably an "assistant head coach" tag). Almost like what they did when Dungy came in. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

I actually saw quite a few adjustments especially on the offensive side. What I didn't see were many defensive adjustments until Murphy became the DC. So do you think it's possible that Caldwell met with Coyer and half time and said something to the effect of maybe you should try this or that or the other thing. And Coyer just refused and thus is one of the reasons he was fired during the season?

I'm curious as to what adjustments you saw?

On multiple occasions he has complimented the job he did last year (making the playoffs despite all the injuries) and the year before in the context of reminding people not to go overboard about this year. Don't forget that he has empirical evidence that Caldwell can take a team to the Super Bowl. More importantly, dumping Caldwell essentially means that there would be incredible upheaval on the offense. Why would you do that to Peyton?. I would say that even if he brings in a coach it would at a minimum involve offering Caldwell the offensive co-ordinator position (with probably an "assistant head coach" tag). Almost like what they did when Dungy came in. If it isn't broken, why fix it?

For one thing, im convinvced it is broken. Also, There is no way they would fire Caldwell as HC and make him the OC.

Secondly, Caldwell did not take the team to the super bowl and everybody knows that. It was Manning and that is 100% obvious. Caldwell, however did lose the superbowl. I know Caldwell supporters hate that argument, but I honestly do not care. Its the truth and anybody that denies it, simply does not live in reality. Yet, the same people will say "If Manning was playing this yr. we would have won 10+ games and made the playoffs", so you tell who is the real reason why this team has been successful. Here's a clue, it has nothing to do with Caldwell.

Lastly, Im not convinced at all that Manning will even be a part of the team next season, I know many Colts fans can't face that as a possibility, but it certainly is, so keeping Caldwell wont have any effect on offensive upheaval(as you say). That almost is comical because caldwell without doubt does not have that kind of influence.

Well he doesn't say, "Caldwell is a good coach." But here he explains what makes a good coach and explains how Caldwell does all those things well.

Every head coach has duties that are laid bare for public scrutiny on a regular basis. They also achieve things that bring about a great deal of acclaim. Every field general also does things away from the spotlight that are known only on the inside of an organization. Caldwell passes Irsay’s tests in those areas.

“I have kind of always been ‘old school.’ I have always believed in the strength of the general manager being very important' date=' as well as the head coach in strength being where it needs to be in terms of authority,” said Irsay. “I think that on some of the things that Jim Caldwell has done, sometimes (people) don’t see it. … He is a very bright guy. He is a great teacher. He is a very good personnel evaluator. He is greatly respected by the players, because they know the integrity that man has. You are talking about one of the finest men that I have ever met, I mean bar none, and our fans should know that. He is demanding. He will make some changes that need to be made, and he takes responsibility in terms of he never took the excuse out, ‘I do not have enough players’ or ‘someone is injured so I can’t win.’ He is not that type of guy. He prepares the team well.”

Irsay is attuned keenly to his people. He has observed Caldwell’s stoic demeanor on game days and considers it appropriate conduct. Irsay is not one to mistake sideline activity for achievement.

“I know the fans prefer to see someone on the sideline that is screaming and ranting more and those things,” said Irsay. “One thing you look for in head coaches that is an important quality is a consistency, the way they come into the building and deal with the players. You don’t want someone who is up and down and up and down. One of the key components of any head coach is the players know what they are going to get, the consistency. We had it with Tony Dungy. When people mentioned it with Tony Dungy that they wanted to see him rant on the sidelines more and throw things down. Tom Landry never did that either. He just sat there with his arms folded and his hat on. Tony is a Hall of Fame coach and Tom Landry is.

“I think there are a lot of positive qualities there (with Caldwell). At the same time, I really can’t give you a percentage or a certainty if Jim Caldwell will be back or not. … I will be as honest with him as I can. I told him that, and he was very excited and understood. He understood he might not be here, but he understood very well that he could be here, and that I am going to reach that decision as soon as I possibly can. Like I said, probably with a new general manager already here and giving counsel on what direction we should go on his evaluation. I am not ruling out anything for the franchise in terms of could there be a big name coach that gets a lot of control that comes in? Anything is possible. I do not see that as a strong, likely direction, but at this point I not going to eliminate anything that gives us a chance to be the best franchise we can be.”[/quote']

Yes

Well rather than running a L87 R dig 29 shift which didn't work at all in the 1st half they adjusted it to a L87 Ldig 32left post fly and Painter threw it in the dirt 5 yards in front of a wide open WR.

Do you want more examples?

BTW Which game are you referring to?

For one thing, im convinvced it is broken. Also, There is no way they would fire Caldwell as HC and make him the OC.

Secondly, Caldwell did not take the team to the super bowl and everybody knows that. It was Manning and that is 100% obvious. Caldwell, however did lose the superbowl. I know Caldwell supporters hate that argument, but I honestly do not care. Its the truth and anybody that denies it, simply does not live in reality.Yet, the same people will say "If Manning was playing this yr. we would have won 10+ games and made the playoffs", so you tell who is the real reason why this team has been successful. Here's a clue, it has nothing to do with Caldwell.

Lastly, Im not convinced at all that Manning will even be a part of the team next season, I know many Colts fans can't face that as a possibility, but it certainly is, so keeping Caldwell wont have any effect on offensive upheaval(as you say). That almost is comical because caldwell without doubt does not have that kind of influence.

Well, I think that Peyton will be back. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with not being able to "face that", it's simply a reasonable opinion based on everything that I've read, and from having had the same surgery myself in 2005. If he can't come back, I will "face that" just fine. And I think that with Peyton we easily have a top five offense - one that Caldwell has been associated with (working closely with Peyton) for TEN years. So yes, firing the entire coaching staff will cause offensive upheaval. What do you call an entirely different philosophy, playbook, etc? Peyton has more than enough things to deal with without that. If Peyton retires, and they decide to rebuild by releasing Saturday, Diem, Wayne, Clark, Garcon, Adaii, and Gonzalez than it's an entirely different story - but if you fire the coach now just in case that's what happens, you are going to have a serious problem if it doesn't. The safe, reasonable, and wise course of action is to let Caldwell play out his contract while Peyton attempts his comeback, and figure it out next year. The fact that some fans are screaming for blood and instant gratification has precious little to do with it.

You are normally a reasonable poster, but the highlighted portions (in particular the underlined portions) above are about the worst kind of manipulative, insulting, childish, irrational nonsense you will see on this forum. Sorry, but "everbody knows that". "It's the truth, and anybody that denies it simply does not live in reality".

If you have something more useful to contribute please do so, but if I try to respond to the above I'm going to end up with blood spurting out of my ears. Give me a break.

Yes

All I can say is watch the games again. Wayne especially got open a lot more in the 2nd half, Painter was not able to get him the ball. Many times they had Garcon running 12-15 yard routes in the 1st half and then shortened them to 6-9 yards in the 2nd half so they would not take as long to develop. Sometimes it was just the opposite if the line was playing well. Working with more 3 WRs sets and less 2 TE sets, sometimes going to fewer 3 WRs to 2/1/2 sets. Blocking assignments changed, many times they started using more cutbacks runs. The list goes on.

Now give me an example when they didn't make adjustments.

Well, I think that Peyton will be back. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with not being able to "face that", it's simply a reasonable opinion based on everything that I've read, and from having had the same surgery myself in 2005. If he can't come back, I will "face that" just fine. And I think that with Peyton we easily have a top five offense - one that Caldwell has been associated with (working closely with Peyton) for TEN years. So yes, firing the entire coaching staff will cause offensive upheaval. What do you call an entirely different philosophy, playbook, etc? Peyton has more than enough things to deal with without that. If Peyton retires, and they decide to rebuild by releasing Saturday, Diem, Wayne, Clark, Garcon, Adaii, and Gonzalez than it's an entirely different story - but if you fire the coach now just in case that's what happens, you are going to have a serious problem if it doesn't. The safe, reasonable, and wise course of action is to let Caldwell play out his contract while Peyton attempts his comeback, and figure it out next year. The fact that some fans are screaming for blood and instant gratification has precious little to do with it.

You are normally a reasonable poster, but the highlighted portions (in particular the underlined portions) above are about the worst kind of manipulative, insulting, childish, irrational nonsense you will see on this forum. Sorry, but "everbody knows that". "It's the truth, and anybody that denies it simply does not live in reality".

If you have something more useful to contribute please do so, but if I try to respond to the above I'm going to end up with blood spurting out of my ears. Give me a break.

Me saying im not convinced Manning will be back next yr. has nothing to do with his injury. I think its a reasonable assumption that Irsay and Grigson will move on in a new direction without Manning. A few weeks ago I would not have said that, but with the recent developments, I think it is a real possibility.

I knew you would have a fit about what I said about Caldwell. Im never going to be able to convince you that Caldwell had nothing to do with the super bowl run, and you are never going to convince me he did. I was more than willing to give Caldwell his chance to prove that he was a legitimate NFL coach and not just the recipient of a remarkable gift handed down from Dungy, but sorry, he has yet to do it. I know you don't agree and thats fine, but IMO he will prove 'in time' that he is not.

All I can say is watch the games again. Wayne especially got open a lot more in the 2nd half, Painter was not able to get him the ball. Many times they had Garcon running 12-15 yard routes in the 1st half and then shortened them to 6-9 yards in the 2nd half so they would not take as long to develop. Sometimes it was just the opposite if the line was playing well. Working with more 3 WRs sets and less 2 TE sets, sometimes going to fewer 3 WRs to 2/1/2 sets. Blocking assignments changed, many times they started using more cutbacks runs. The list goes on.

I wasn't disagreeing with you before. I haven't really gotten a chance to watch many games this season, other than a few prime-time games and the Carolina game, a matter of fact I think that he gets a bad wrap for his play calling. There isn't much a coach can really do when he's working with Painter and O-Money as QB.

The only real problem I had with Caldwell this season is that we seemed to play way too conservative.

Me saying im not convinced Manning will be back next yr. has nothing to do with his injury. I think its a reasonable assumption that Irsay and Grigson will move on in a new direction without Manning. A few weeks ago I would not have said that, but with the recent developments, I think it is a real possibility.

I knew you would have a fit about what I said about Caldwell. Im never going to be able to convince you that Caldwell had nothing to do with the super bowl run, and you are never going to convince me he did. I was more than willing to give Caldwell his chance to prove that he was a legitimate NFL coach and not just the recipient of a remarkable gift handed down from Dungy, but sorry, he has yet to do it. I know you don't agree and thats fine, but IMO he will prove 'in time' that he is not.

I didn't have a fit at all about your opinion, just the obnoxious manner in which you chose to express it - but you are right in that there is no point in debating it further.

I would be very surprised if Irsay let Peyton go, because he has given no hint that it's even being considered, while he has made several strong statements supporting the idea that he he wants Peyton to finish his career as a Colt and that if he is healthy he will play. He has also made it clear that decision is his, not the GMs. Therefore I don't think that the change in GMs foretells a change in QBs. For all we know the starting point of every interview was "Peyton's coming back and we're drafting Luck, now tell me how you would deal with that situation, and what's your vision for the future of the organization."

I wasn't disagreeing with you before. I haven't really gotten a chance to watch many games this season, other than a few prime-time games and the Carolina game, a matter of fact I think that he gets a bad wrap for his play calling. There isn't much a coach can really do when he's working with Painter and O-Money as QB.

I didn't necessarily think you were disagreeing, that is why I started it with a joke.
The only real problem I had with Caldwell this season is that we seemed to play way too conservative.

I don't know, I can see both sides of the argument. I, personally, am of the school that if you know you are not going to score consistently, then go for the big play because you may just get lucky. But I understand the mentallity of trying to establish a rhythm, get in the grove of the game and give the defense a bit of rest.

I really think if Murphy would have been the DC for the entire season the Colts would have won 3 or 4 more games. Not that I think Murphy was a great DC but he was a little more unpredictable and would change the defense based on what the O was doing. Coyer cost the Colts games against the Bucs, The Browns, Cheifs and Panthers. And I believe if the Colts would have had anywhere near descent QB play they would have won an 3 or 4 more games (some cross over with the 3 or 4 games with Murphy)

Secondly, Caldwell did not take the team to the super bowl and everybody knows that. It was Manning and that is 100% obvious. Caldwell, however did lose the superbowl. I know Caldwell supporters hate that argument, but I honestly do not care. Its the truth and anybody that denies it, simply does not live in reality. Yet, the same people will say "If Manning was playing this yr. we would have won 10+ games and made the playoffs", so you tell who is the real reason why this team has been successful. Here's a clue, it has nothing to do with Caldwell.

Obviously Peyton won us every single game except the SB which Caldwell cost us because everyone could see that onside kick coming :lol: . Or Peyton won us games with Caldwell's help and the reason we lost that SB was bad catching and a costly Int and no one could seee that onside coming. :thmup:

Wayne and the rest of the gang were more wide open because the Colts were trailing and the defense was playing a prevent.

Arguing that Caldwell is a good coach is almost laughable. He blew the Super Bowl. He called one of the worst timeouts in the history of playoff football. He went 2-14 with a talented group of guys.

Who cares about adjustments. His adjusments led to a 2-14 record. He took over an all-star filled team and coasted to a loss in the Super Bowl. As soon as it was time to coach and not ride the greatest Qb of all time - boom - 2-14!! Grigson's tenure will be tainted if he doesn't fire Caldwell, it's now his team, let him pick his coach!

No problem, and it wasn't my intention to try and stiffle you, I was just explaining why you pushed by buttons. Take it for what it's worth. There are all kinds of posters on here, and your opinions are just as valid as mine or anybody elses. With this misserable season we have had there are a lot of contentious issues to discuss and a lot of frayed nerves doing the discussing.

Personally I'm OK with Caldwell, but I'd be OK with him being replaced as well. I just don't see it as being anywhere near the most important issue right now, and I'm concerned that if Irsay fires the entire organization they won't have time to address everything properly by the time the season starts. Plan ahead, make informed decisions, move one step at a time, I can find fault with some of Caldwells game management as well, but the fact that the team was still leaving their guts on the field and verbally defending him at the end of this horrible season says a lot. I've seen a ton of other coaches who I think would be a lot less desirable. If they get rid of him, they had better be 100% confident that it's an improvement.

I say there.......good form. Right then..........tally ho.

Thanks. Started with that name at the original CBS boards in 97.

Wow. People are obviously going to associate it with the movie (or the Broadway play), so back then it would have been an even more creative choice than I thought it was. Thats not the most common expression.

Keeping Caldwell for right now is far and away the most logical choice. There is enough going on right now without dumping all the coaches as well. Despite what some seem to think, the Colts are NOT the St Louis Rams - throwing out the baby, the bathwater, the bathtub, and starting over clean. If Grigson decides over time that he'd prefer another coach, he can let Caldwells contract expire and replace him next year - earlier in the offseason and after a proper search - when he is the established GM instead of a newbie who is still trying to figure out where the office supplies are kept.

This is a sound approach. Mac I like the way you think! Personally, I'm good with Caldwell. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough to see some of the coaching flaws that so many seem to take for granted. Sure there there was the time out mistake of season before last. It looked to me like JC had good control over the team. Many times teams experiencing losses to the degree of this past season give up and partake in finger pointing. We didn't see that. I certainly applauded the effort each and every week. The team was ready to play. I was proud of this team and I apologize to no one for feeling that way. I was most impressed with the defense that seemed to be always on a short field and always on the field. Rookies as starters were playing as veterans by year end. A revamped Oline produced an improved running game. A few young players looking as if they were becoming ineffectual actually stood out in their performance several times. A replacement Colts LB was near the top of all tacklers in the league. All of these are not only a reflection upon the players but the coaches as well. I'm good with next season being tell tale for JC.

This is a sound approach. Mac I like the way you think! Personally, I'm good with Caldwell. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough to see some of the coaching flaws that so many seem to take for granted. Sure there there was the time out mistake of season before last. It looked to me like JC had good control over the team. Many times teams experiencing losses to the degree of this past season give up and partake in finger pointing. We didn't see that. I certainly applauded the effort each and every week. The team was ready to play. I was proud of this team and I apologize to no one for feeling that way. I was most impressed with the defense that seemed to be always on a short field and always on the field. Rookies as starters were playing as veterans by year end. A revamped Oline produced an improved running game. A few young players looking as if they were becoming ineffectual actually stood out in their performance several times. A replacement Colts LB was near the top of all tacklers in the league. All of these are not only a reflection upon the players but the coaches as well. I'm good with next season being tell tale for JC.

They played week 17 like they were fighting for a playoff spot, while teams like the Chargers, Eagles, and Jets (all with far more respected coaches) were falling apart at the seams. I'm open to the possibility that there are better coaches out there, but I just don't get the hatred.

The problem is who are we going to hire in his replacement? Fisher is out. Gruden has repeatedly said he's staying in broadcasting. What other proven coach is there? Marty Schottenheimer? Oh yay put a coach who can't win Playoff games on a team that struggles in Playoff games. That's a good fit, lol. Seriously though, Schottenheimer is 68 and I'd definitely rather have someone younger.

There just aren't many quality candidates out there right now. We'd almost certainly have to go with an unproven coordinator. At least Caldwell HAS proved he can win. Regardless of what we think of him, he coached a team to the Super Bowl two years ago and he's a pick 6 away from being a Super Bowl winning head coach, think about that. Come up with any excuse you want, how he was carried by Peyton, whatever, doesn't matter. He was still the head coach of a Super Bowl runner up in his first year.

I would ask you to not go away, Max. There are more of us like yourself than you realize. Hang in there. I have read this forum for years, but stayed away as I was a mod on several other boards. I recently joined here as my two main boards, one in particular, has become so negative, that I have left. Sad really. But I have found some great fans here who are allowed to stand up for many of the views that you have. Stick around!

So how is it Caldwells fault that Peyton threw a pick 6? You do remember it was 24-17, Saints lead, late in the 4th and the Colts were driving for a tying score before Peyton got happy feet and saw pressure and forced a pass that wasn't there, right? HE was the reason we lost, not Caldwell. Yeah, I know, how dare I criticize our beloved Peyton. I'll probably get flamed for it, but I couldn't care less. Colts fans can't accept the fact that Peyton Manning lost us the Super Bowl so they blame it on Caldwell. OK.

Surely we want a GM / HC combination for the future? If we all agree on that, then we also need a coach that can lead a Manning-less Colts to the play-offs. I do not believe Caldwell is that man, based on form.

As a disclaimer, this is just MY opinion, so MAC doesn't tell me how I should post....

Wayne and the rest of the gang were more wide open because the Colts were trailing and the defense was playing a prevent.

Really? Every game the other team played prevent defense the entire 2nd half?
Arguing that Caldwell is a good coach is almost laughable. He blew the Super Bowl. He called one of the worst timeouts in the history of playoff football. He went 2-14 with a talented group of guys.
That sentence is laughable. He's not a good coach because the team he led to the SB lost. And he's not a good coach because he called a bad timeout on a team he led to the playoffs? That is laughable.
Who cares about adjustments. His adjusments led to a 2-14 record. He took over an all-star filled team and coasted to a loss in the Super Bowl.
If he id coast to the Superbowl then why didn't Dungy coast to the SB the two years prior?
As soon as it was time to coach and not ride the greatest Qb of all time - boom - 2-14!! Grigson's tenure will be tainted if he doesn't fire Caldwell, it's now his team, let him pick his coach!

He may very well pick another coach. He may not. Either way he handles it is fine by me, he's the GM.