Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any free agents you are interested in for the Colts?

bap1331

If we let go of Andre Johnson, Art Jones, etc to free up cap space I wouldn't mind us getting

Eric Berry SS

Bruce Irvin OLB

Ryan Wendell/Stefen Wisniski C

In the draft find a replacement CB for Toler, a guard, and pass rusher. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On January 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM, byrddawg said:

Look at the centers 27 years of age and under.  That is the number one need of the Colts  When we had Peyton the second most valuable player was Jeff Saturday    Andrew deserves an opportunity to have as good as center as Peyton had

Saturday was more valuable than Marvin, Dallas. Steroid Bob, Mathis, Tarik, Freeney?  No

On 1/6/2016 at 3:38 PM, BProland85 said:

Don't need to sign a free agent DT this year. The draft is very deep there. I like Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, and A'Shawn Robinson. 

There is about a 2% chance A'Shawn is there for us to pick. I would love it if he was though.

O-line

need to snag a big-timer.  can't afford but one in FA and get a few quality but not-so-big-timers in the draft, need to commit to ramp up the O-line in draft and/or free agency or Luck may walk.  It's not a foregone conclusion he re-signs unless we can prove to him that he won't get killed in 2016 season thus shortening his career; do this by showing him the game plan for commitment to acquisitions during contract talks.  I realize it might be difficult to impossible to land big names like below and they could be specific o-line positions that are not ideal but just throwing out the one's (big-timers) that are FA or UFA.

Andre Smith 

Russell Okung

Cordy Glenn - left tackle however (probably will get the franchise tag but that's not 100 percent)

keep in mind I'm making assumptions that we clear out some good cap space.  must cut some dead-weight (AJ, Cole).  We will take in some dead-money but the cap room far outweighs it.  It is mandatory due to upcoming Luck $$$.

30 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Surprised no one has mentioned mario Williams.  Looks like bills will be releasing him.  

Not a scheme fit. He hated Rex Ryans scheme and ours is very similar. I doubt we go there.

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Doesn't Rex play a 3/4 but it's mostly zone blitz and not man blitz like ours?

No Rex loves man to man. Pagano learned under Rex Ryan I believe. They are both from the Ravens. Both play some zone but mostly man to man

I wouldn't mind if we spent a little cash in free agency on the OL, so that we can get Luck some established protection, and then hit the first three rounds of the draft on the defensive side of the ball. OLB,CB,ILB,S.

We really need another guy alongside Vontae though.. If we can grab another established corner, we will be golden.

18 hours ago, krunk said:

Not a scheme fit. He hated Rex Ryans scheme and ours is very similar. I doubt we go there.

I think he could fit the scheme fine.  The defense this year was closer to Wade Phillips' defense than to Rex Ryans, imo.  I don't know how much Williams liked playing in Phillips' defense but in the 5 games he played he had 5 sacks...that's the only time he's ever averaged a sack per game.  I'll grant you though that's a very small sample size.

Honestly though I'd think he could play either the Rush LB, like he did under Wade, or even play in a JJ Watt DE type role as well.  Of course that also depends on what changes may or may not be made to the defense in the coming offseason.

2 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I think he could fit the scheme fine.  The defense this year was closer to Wade Phillips' defense than to Rex Ryans, imo.  I don't know how much Williams liked playing in Phillips' defense but in the 5 games he played he had 5 sacks...that's the only time he's ever averaged a sack per game.  I'll grant you though that's a very small sample size.

Honestly though I'd think he could play either the Rush LB, like he did under Wade, or even play in a JJ Watt DE type role as well.  Of course that also depends on what changes may or may not be made to the defense in the coming offseason.

The main things Williams complained about this year was dropping into coverage too much.  You know he's going to be doing that here.  Don't know if it will be as much as Buffalo did.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

The main things Williams complained about this year was dropping into coverage too much.  You know he's going to be doing that here.  Don't know if it will be as much as Buffalo did.

well I'm hoping that Monachino doesn't drop our Rush LB into coverage as much as Manusky was doing.  However, putting him at the JJ Watt DE spot, Williams wouldn't drop into coverage much, if at all.  

Bottom line, I think that's something they could pretty easily work around, if they were to decide to try to go after him...which I'm not suggesting that they should, just that he could work in our scheme if they did.

34 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

well I'm hoping that Monachino doesn't drop our Rush LB into coverage as much as Manusky was doing.  However, putting him at the JJ Watt DE spot, Williams wouldn't drop into coverage much, if at all.  

Bottom line, I think that's something they could pretty easily work around, if they were to decide to try to go after him...which I'm not suggesting that they should, just that he could work in our scheme if they did.

I just don't want a disgruntled guy here.

21 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not so sure.  He was upset that Rex had him drop back into coverage often.  With us,  he'd be a pure pass rusher. Especially considering the lack of other legitimate pass rushers on the roster.  

I forget if I saw it on ESPN or cbssports, but one of them listed this stat...of the playoff teams 8 of the 12 were teams with top ten spending on their offensive lines...OL is imperative for us...I don't know who, Mack, Glenn, Trade for Joe Thomas (not likely) etc...but we have to get some guys to dominate up front 

On 1/9/2016 at 0:31 PM, Stillen said:

If we let go of Andre Johnson, Art Jones, etc to free up cap space I wouldn't mind us getting

Eric Berry SS

Bruce Irvin OLB

Ryan Wendell/Stefen Wisniski C

In the draft find a replacement CB for Toler, a guard, and pass rusher. 

what about restructuring Art Jones and Andre Johnson contract? Obviously if they refuse, we let go.

But i highly doubt Eric Berry or Bruce Irvin leave their teams respectively. Theyre highly valuable players but I can see Belichick letting go of any player on the Patriots except Collins or Brady but I think those players are over the hill already and irsay said he wants to get younger.

13 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Bengals' Leon Hall is up for free-agency this year, he could be a nice replacement for Toler. Their center (TJ Johnson) is also, but I don't know much about him.

Hes like 31. Hes almost passed his prime. Need somebody younger.

13 hours ago, Jason_S said:

lol, hes coming from the Ravens. They are much more aggressive than we are. Especially at LB