Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching All-Time Stats -- Pagano isn't bad

ColtsFanMikeC

Of all coaches who have coached more than 50 games in their career as a head coach -- Chuck Pagano ranks 22nd all time in winning percentage (62.9%), the only active coaches in the NFL who beat him are Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, and Bill Bellichek (Jim Harbaugh would count if you just mentioned 'active coaches').

So yea, Pagano has a better winning percentage than John Harbaugh, Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera, Andy Reid, etc.... who are still active -- (plus any of the 'inactive' coaches people talk about bringing in -- with Cowher being the only one over 60%).

People can say we play in the AFC South, but let's not forget that Pagano has beaten a lot of very good teams (undefeated Broncos in 2015 being most recent example).  Also keep in mind that Pagano has coached a roster which is less than ideal for his entire career and the only season which he is in jeopardy of not finishing at .500 or greater has been played mostly with a back-up QB, a terrible OL, and a defense with very little talent/play-makers.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Of all coaches who have coached more than 50 games in their career as a head coach -- Chuck Pagano ranks 22nd all time in winning percentage (62.9%), the only active coaches in the NFL who beat him are Mike Tomlin, Mike McCarthy, and Bill Bellichek (Jim Harbaugh would count if you just mentioned 'active coaches').

So yea, Pagano has a better winning percentage than John Harbaugh, Pete Carrol, Ron Rivera, Andy Reid, etc.... who are still active -- (plus any of the 'inactive' coaches people talk about bringing in -- with Cowher being the only one over 60%).

People can say we play in the AFC South, but let's not forget that Pagano has beaten a lot of very good teams (undefeated Broncos in 2015 being most recent example).  Also keep in mind that Pagano has coached a roster which is less than ideal for his entire career and the only season which he is in jeopardy of not finishing at .500 or greater has been played mostly with a back-up QB, a terrible OL, and a defense with very little talent/play-makers.

What is the winning percentage of Tom Coughlin, and how many rings he has?

1 hour ago, YourNextGM said:

Dude,  nobody cares about Pagano's stats.  LOL

My sentiments exactly. Singing Chuck's praises now is like bragging about your ex girlfriend to your new girlfriend & then wondering why you get no action courtesy of your latest main squeeze. 

Nostalgia has it's place sure, but not when that coach is no longer here running the show in INDY ColtsFanMikeC.

We all know Chuck will be sent packing. It's nice that you are willing to be his talent agent I guess. I'm sure Pagano appreciates your support. 

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

My sentiments exactly. Singing Chuck's praises now is like bragging about your ex girlfriend to your new girlfriend & then wondering why you get no action courtesy of your latest main squeeze. 

Nostalgia has it's place sure, but not when that coach is no longer here running the show in INDY ColtsFanMikeC.

We all know Chuck will be sent packing. It's nice that you are willing to be his talent agent I guess. I'm sure Pagano appreciates your support. 

Fact of the matter is, I don't think any coach in the NFL could succeed with what Pagano has been dealt (Belichek being the possible exception).

Our OL has been hurt and is atrocious.  We have played the majority of the season with a back-up or 3rd string QB.  We have no pass rush (lack of talent, no coach in the league would be able to coach what we have at LB and on DL to become a pass rushing force), and lack of skill in the secondary behind Vontae and Adams (Toler isn't terrible, but no matter who he plays for he isn't going to become all of the sudden become an all-star).  

7 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Curious though, do those games with Bruce Arians as our interim HC count toward's Pagano's HC'ing stats?

They do, but even with the season with Arians, Pagano has a 61% winning percentage.

Also, note that Arians lost in the wild-card round, whereas Pagano took us a round further each of the following seasons.

The Ravens are having a worse season than us -- I don't see anyone calling for John Harbaugh's head.

The Steelers are a wildcard team at best, and with a loss can very well miss the playoffs -- if they do, I guarantee Tomlin won't be axed.

The Saints have underperformed the past couple of seasons and there is a good chance Sean Payton stays with them -- if he doesn't, many people on this board are singing his praises like he should be the next coach here.

I get that there is a good chance Pagano goes, all I'm saying is he has done a good job here -- he hasn't been put in a position to succeed -- he inherited the worst team in the NFL and for 3 years in a row won 11 games and made it to the playoffs.  In year 4, he has played most of the season with a back-up QB, a makeshift and very under-talented OL, and a defense that has gaping talent holes all over it.

It doesn't help with Irsay and the media stirring things up about Pagano's future and his relationship with Grigson.  I think there is absolutely some merit to the fact that Grigson tries/has tried to take on responsibilities which should be left up to the head coach (total control of draft selections, setting the lineup, etc.), and if any of that is true it also shouldn't be held against Pagano.  Fact  is, very few (if any) coaches in this league would be able to perform with the line-up Pagano has been dealing with this season.  Luck and Hasselbeck should be lucky they are alive and should be * off at Grigson for doing nothing to address our OL this offseason, something that we as Colts fans and NFL fans in general knew was a major area of concern (seriously, signing Herremans was going to be our saving grace?? and nothing was done to address tackle depth or starting talent after Cherilus was released other than drafting a 7th rounder from Mars Hill??).

7 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

What is the winning percentage of Tom Coughlin, and how many rings he has?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

Coughlin has a .535 career winning percentage and has 2 SB rings.  He is also old, and IMO, doesn't have more than 1-2 seasons left in him (I also think he is out of touch with the behavior and attitudes of the players of this generation - no need to look much past O'Dell Beckham Jr.'s actions last week) -- if we are to make a coaching change, I sure hope we get someone who can be in this for the long haul with Luck, and not someone we need to replace after a season or two.

8 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

But..But.. HEEEEESSS BAAAAAADDDD

4 hours ago, TrueColt! said:

Michael Jordan stats were great too.....once upon a time. 

This is a ridiculous analogy.  Michael Jordan was a player who is probably the all-time best in his sport.  The reason his stats declined were due to old age and declining physical capabilities.

Pagano is a coach.  It is my opinion that the decline in stats this season is due to an untalented roster.  We have been playing most of the season with a back-up QB (who has often been playing through injury), an injured starting QB, or a third-string QB.  Very few coaches can win given that alone.

Now, take into account that our WR corps is built on speed (Andre Johnson, a Grigs' signing, has underperformed and besides Whalen, he is the only WR on our team that is built to thrive without relying on speed).  TY, Moncrief and Dorsett are all at their best when speed comes into play -- this often requires the long ball to be a component of the offense -- Hasselbeck (especially an injured Hasselbeck) has shown he doesn't have the arm to let it fly to these guys.  Luck has the arm, but doesn't have the line to give him enough time to let plays develop.

If we let Pagano walk, he will be coveted as a head coach elsewhere.  If he is put on a team with a good roster, I can almost guarantee he will succeed.

7 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Coughlin has a .535 career winning percentage and has 2 SB rings.  He is also old, and IMO, doesn't have more than 1-2 seasons left in him (I also think he is out of touch with the behavior and attitudes of the players of this generation - no need to look much past O'Dell Beckham Jr.'s actions last week) -- if we are to make a coaching change, I sure hope we get someone who can be in this for the long haul with Luck, and not someone we need to replace after a season or two.

Tom Coughlin?  How old is he?  Since when does age affect ability to coach?  Last time I remember he isn't on the field running around catching footballs so age is irrelevant.  It is how well you can game plan and use your tactical knowledge to the best of your ability.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Tom Coughlin?  How old is he?  Since when does age affect ability to coach?  Last time I remember he isn't on the field running around catching footballs so age is irrelevant.  It is how well you can game plan and use your tactical knowledge to the best of your ability.

Tom Coughlin will be 70 by the start of next season.  He has coached in the league for 20 years now.

Since his second SB with the NYG, he has gone 9-7, 7-9, 6-10 and right now is sitting at 6-8.  Being from a family of NYG fans, I follow them fairly closely.  It is pretty clear that he is out of touch with the mentality of today's players (again, look no further than to O'Dell Beckham Jr. last week -- he was totally out of control and Coughlin had no ability to put him in control).

At age 70 with 20 years in the league, retirement is most likely on Coughlin's mind.  Also, age shouldn't affect ability to coach except that age and health are often very strongly correlated -- coaching at the NFL level is a time-consuming and exhausting profession, I cannot imagine one being able to tolerate the work load, travel, and remain healthy much past the age of 70.

4 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Tom Coughlin will be 70 by the start of next season.  He has coached in the league for 20 years now.

Since his second SB with the NYG, he has gone 9-7, 7-9, 6-10 and right now is sitting at 6-8.  Being from a family of NYG fans, I follow them fairly closely.  It is pretty clear that he is out of touch with the mentality of today's players (again, look no further than to O'Dell Beckham Jr. last week -- he was totally out of control and Coughlin had no ability to put him in control).

At age 70 with 20 years in the league, retirement is most likely on Coughlin's mind.  Also, age shouldn't affect ability to coach except that age and health are often very strongly correlated -- coaching at the NFL level is a time-consuming and exhausting profession, I cannot imagine one being able to tolerate the work load, travel, and remain healthy much past the age of 70.

You are right about coughlin not keeping up with the game.  But saying that age determines that ability is just not true.  Look at bill belicheck who is 63.

Just now, Narcosys said:

You are right about coughlin not keeping up with the game.  But saying that age determines that ability is just not true.  Look at bill belicheck who is 63.

I say in a previous post where someone compares Pagano to Michael Jordan that it is ridiculous because age doesn't affect coaches as it does players.

However, 63 and 70 are quite different.  Also, Belichek is coaching in a system where he has been comfortable for a long time.  If Coughlin were to come to Indy, he'd have to be dealing with a new coaching staff (at least to some extent, depending on who he brings with him), an entire new city, a new conference/division, and an entire new set of players -- not something easy for a 70 year old who has already shown he isn't keeping up with the game.

25 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I say in a previous post where someone compares Pagano to Michael Jordan that it is ridiculous because age doesn't affect coaches as it does players.

However, 63 and 70 are quite different.  Also, Belichek is coaching in a system where he has been comfortable for a long time.  If Coughlin were to come to Indy, he'd have to be dealing with a new coaching staff (at least to some extent, depending on who he brings with him), an entire new city, a new conference/division, and an entire new set of players -- not something easy for a 70 year old who has already shown he isn't keeping up with the game.

Tom Coughlin has also been coaching in a system for a long time.  I am not saying age cannot affect it, but your statement made it seem that it was directly linked and affecting coaching ability.  Bill Belichick disproves this statement, yet you find ways to excuse it.  Advancement of age does not directly relate to ones ability to tactically think and adapt.  It can be a factor, but it does not have a direct correlation for affect.  Meaning a rise in age does not necessarily mean a drop in intelligence the ability of ones own mind.

Just now, Narcosys said:

Tom Coughlin has also been coaching in a system for a long time.  I am not saying age cannot affect it, but your statement made it seem that it was directly linked and affecting coaching ability.  Bill Belichick disproves this statement, yet you find ways to excuse it.  Advancement of age does not directly relate to ones ability to tactically think and adapt.  It can be a factor, but it does not have a direct correlation for affect.  Meaning a rise in age does not necessarily mean a drop in intelligence the ability of ones own mind.

Age 63 and age 70 are very different.  The average retirement age in America is ~62 years old.  Coughlin is 8 years past that, whereas Belichek is only 1 year past that.  Belichek has been thriving for several years in a row -- Coughlin is about to have his 3rd straight non-winning season.  He has shown a lack of ability to adapt in a system he should be comfortable in -- how can you expect that he would do well adapting in a completely new environment?  He is from 'the old school', which I'm fine with, but if he can't adjust with what he's been working with, I don't see how it can be expected that he will be able to just come into a new environment and thrive.

10 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Pagano has also lost, badly to a lot of bad teams too.  And I would venture to guess that most of the games that he played against teams that came out with 10 wins or more at the end of the season, he lost.  

I also think that the talent on our roster is severely underrated by our fans.  Sure we don't have the most talented roster top to bottom, that much is obvious but our roster talent isn't that terrible.  We've let go of a lot of guys who have found roles on other teams.  

2012 you could say that was true as a lot of guys from that team where out of the NFL in 1 or 2 years.  But that hasn't been true of the 2013 and 2014 teams.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I just wanted to point out that coache's DVOA doesn't indicate his real success. Coughlin has lower DVOA still he took his team twice there.

Anyway I do belive tjat Coughlin will retire as a Giant.

I really don't see anyone better than Pagano out there. I'm of the opinion that patience is important. Teams that don't overact and stick to the plan tend to perform well. Look at the Bengals. Pagano has proven he can win in the playoffs, Marv Lewis has not. I'd say Marv should be on the hot seat in Cinncy if Pags is out in Indy. the options for new coaches seem weak this off season. I think Grigson and Pagano learned some lessons this year. I'm all for another chance. The one knock against Pagano I have, he doesn't seem * off when we get blown out.

39 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I just wanted to point out that coache's DVOA doesn't indicate his real success. Coughlin has lower DVOA still he took his team twice there.

Anyway I do belive tjat Coughlin will retire as a Giant.

How is DVOA (defense adjusted value over average) being used here?  I was just talking winning percent, am I missing something?

You obviously have to give credit to Tom Coughlin for winning 2 SBs.  However, in order to win a SB, you have to make the playoffs.  He has made the playoffs 5 times (won 2 SBs) with the Giants and is about to miss the playoffs for his 7th time with the Giants (he makes the playoffs 42% of the time) -- Pagano is either 75% or 66% at making it to the playoffs (depending on if you count the Arians year), assuming we don't make it this year.  Personally, I'd rather a coach that will consistently bring us to the playoffs than one who will have us playing pretty sporadic football and take us there less than 50% of the time.  Once you're in the dance, anything can happen.

47 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Pagano has also lost, badly to a lot of bad teams too.  And I would venture to guess that most of the games that he played against teams that came out with 10 wins or more at the end of the season, he lost.  

I also think that the talent on our roster is severely underrated by our fans.  Sure we don't have the most talented roster top to bottom, that much is obvious but our roster talent isn't that terrible.  We've let go of a lot of guys who have found roles on other teams.  

2012 you could say that was true as a lot of guys from that team where out of the NFL in 1 or 2 years.  But that hasn't been true of the 2013 and 2014 teams.

I don't think the best way to measure our roster talent this year (Pagano's only losing season) based on how players who are not on it (i.e., those who we've let go and are in the league elsewhere) are playing.  And as far as guys we've let go that have found roles on other teams, I can't think of any except maybe Sergio Brown who are starting and playing significant roles on other teams (I guess DHB is having a pretty good year this year and Jerry Hughes has done all right with Buffalo -- who else though? RJF and Montori are in the league but I don't think they are anything more than rotational lineman).

Our roster this year is not good, especially when we are relying on our depth players to be starters.  It isn't terrible, but as many other posts and posters have pointed out we have been playing with either an injured starting QB or a back-up (often playing through injuries) QB almost all season.  Our OL is pretty horrendous, we have very little skill in the pass rush department, we've suffered multiple injuries to our DL (including our 2 best DL, Art Jones and Anderson) and we lack playmakers in the secondary.  

Excluding 2012 (Arians year), Pagano was 4-2 vs. 10+ win teams in 2013 (beat SF, SEA, KC, DEN and lost to ARZ and CIN) and was 2-5 in 2014 (beat CIN, BAL and all 5 losses were to 10+ win teams).  Pagano is also 3-2 in the post-season, making his overall record against 10+ win teams prior to this season 9-9 (.500).  If you add in this season (a very compromised season) he is 10-11 overall against teams with 10 or more wins (and may drop to 10-12 or 10-13 depending what NYJ and Pitt do, which will leave him somewhere between 43-48% against 10 win teams -- there are plenty of head coaches currently in the NFL with overall win records in that bracket).  

2 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

They do, but even with the season with Arians, Pagano has a 61% winning percentage.

Also, note that Arians lost in the wild-card round, whereas Pagano took us a round further each of the following seasons.

Those of us who have watched the Colts games know that they looked much better under Arians control.   Paganos illness saved his job in Indy.   Nearly everyone knew Arians was the better coach.

Do you have a source for Pagano being 22nd?    I couldn't locate a site that claimed that.   But I didn't look for very long either.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Those of us who have watched the Colts games know that they looked much better under Arians control.   Paganos illness saved his job in Indy.   Nearly everyone knew Arians was the better coach.

Do you have a source for Pagano being 22nd?    I couldn't locate a site that claimed that.   But I didn't look for very long either.

That is taking into account coaches since pro-football has started, 10 or more of the coaches above Pagano were coaching prior the the modern day NFL, also.  If you just click on the w-l% column, it will sort by that.

5 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

That is taking into account coaches since pro-football has started, 10 or more of the coaches above Pagano were coaching prior the the modern day NFL, also.  If you just click on the w-l% column, it will sort by that.

Thanks.   I love that website.    Use it all the time.

Having Barry Switzer next at #23 doesn't help Pagano's case.  :D

3 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Age 63 and age 70 are very different.  The average retirement age in America is ~62 years old.  Coughlin is 8 years past that, whereas Belichek is only 1 year past that.  Belichek has been thriving for several years in a row -- Coughlin is about to have his 3rd straight non-winning season.  He has shown a lack of ability to adapt in a system he should be comfortable in -- how can you expect that he would do well adapting in a completely new environment?  He is from 'the old school', which I'm fine with, but if he can't adjust with what he's been working with, I don't see how it can be expected that he will be able to just come into a new environment and thrive.

I'm not debating Coughlins' ability.  I'm talking about how you insinuated that a person's age determines their intellectual capability.  You stated he was too old (Bill Cowher, 58), to be able to coach, that he didn't have the capacity. I pointed to Belichick (63), who is older and still fully capable.  To be able to coach, you have to be able to think, plan, and find ways to best implement that plan according to your players. Age is not a deciding factor in that.  

Case in point, Bruce Arians, who is same age as Belicheck AND went into a new place, AND has proven to be successful since year one.  I am merely trying to have you acknowledge that age does not determine a person's ability to think. 

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I really don't see anyone better than Pagano out there. I'm of the opinion that patience is important. Teams that don't overact and stick to the plan tend to perform well. Look at the Bengals. Pagano has proven he can win in the playoffs, Marv Lewis has not. I'd say Marv should be on the hot seat in Cinncy if Pags is out in Indy. the options for new coaches seem weak this off season. I think Grigson and Pagano learned some lessons this year. I'm all for another chance. The one knock against Pagano I have, he doesn't seem * off when we get blown out.

The Bengals?  Accumilate a lot of high draft picks by stinking for years and then suck in the playoffs.  Sounds like a plan.

38 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The Bengals?  Accumilate a lot of high draft picks by stinking for years and then suck in the playoffs.  Sounds like a plan.

On Cincy, he is right that Marvin should be fired,   He is a coordinator at best.

People always talk about how Dalton sucks in big games.   Lewis has been losing big games since Dalton has been in middle school.

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

On Cincy, he is right that Marvin should be fired,   He is a coordinator at best.

People always talk about how Dalton sucks in big games.   Lewis has been losing big games since Dalton has been in middle school.

Yeah, I misread what he was saying.....oops.

52 minutes ago, Myles said:

If Cower was willing he would be my choice.  

I'd throw a bucket load of gold at Jim Harbaugh, but I don't think it would help.

I think Cowher is a slightly smarter meathead than Chuck, but was smart enough to hire good coordinators.

I am not really sure why Chuck would get credit for going 11-5 in 2012? Actually in the games he Coached he was 2-2 that season and 0-1 in the Playoffs. Arians was 9-3. Technically Chuck is 2-2, 11-5, 11-5, 6-8 in the Regular Season = 30-20 60%. 3-3 in the Playoffs 50%. That is Good but nothing special. When Arians filled in he went 9-3 75% and that was when Andrew was a rookie.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not really sure why Chuck would get credit for going 11-5 in 2012? Actually in the games he Coached he was 2-2 that season and 0-1 in the Playoffs. Arians was 9-3. Technically Chuck is 2-2, 11-5, 11-5, 6-8 in the Regular Season = 30-20 60%. 3-3 in the Playoffs 50%. That is Good but nothing special. When Arians filled in he went 9-3 75% and that was when Andrew was a rookie.

IMO the Colts players were playing for Chuck, not Bruce. The whole season after Chuck got sick the team including Bruce were using Chucks sickness to bring everyone together as a team. Bruce is doing a great job at Arizona but look at the roster he has? He has a more balanced team that the Colts have had for years. Some point the finger at the Colts and their weak division. Well the only competition the Cardinals have is Seattle and they are not what they once were. The Rams and the 49ers are pretty weak this season. Don't get me wrong as I like me some Bruce but judging Bruce and Chuck against each other is childish and just grasping at air.

I like Chuck and wouldn't be upset if they brought him back. However I don't get strong feelings Irsay is going to go that route.

It's very likely that at least head coach Chuck Pagano will be gone, with general manager Ryan Grigson possibly out as well.

One thing seems to be pretty clear: changes will be coming, and when they do, it will be owner Jim Irsay overseeing them.  That may not seem like any surprise at all (nor should it), but it does have implications.  The Indianapolis Star's Stephen Holder reported Sunday night that Irsay could hire the new head coach, while ESPN's Mike Wells also noted that Irsay will be very involved in the decision.

Obviously Pagano won't survive unless there's a miracle. Word on street is Irsay himself might hire the new coach even if Grigson stays.

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

December 21, 2015

Jim Irsay will be VERY involved in picking the next coach if/when that happens. https://t.co/qwY2kAo3db

— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL)

December 22, 2015

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/12/22/10652708/report-jim-irsay-might-hire-next-head-coach-regardless-of-ryan-grigson-status-colts

Too much information like this keeps getting produced and I don't believe it's all false.  We'll see.