Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Irsay/manning To Make Joint Decision On The Future

presto123

Obviously they can't make the call yet. You mean down the road after GM is hired?

No I mean it was reported today that Jim Irsay has been telling people he's interviewing that he's going to be the one to make the call on Peyton and not the new GM. I would say the latest news means Irsay and Manning are going ot make the decision about Manning's future and the new GM isn't going to have the final call on that. It's not really major news or surprissing if you follow the Colts.

No I mean it was reported today that Jim Irsay has been telling people he's interviewing that he's going to be the one to make the call on Peyton and not the new GM. I would say the latest news means Irsay and Manning are going ot make the decision about Manning's future and the new GM isn't going to have the final call on that. It's not really major news or surprissing if you follow the Colts.

Yeah really not much news. Irsay even said in the presser that he ALWAYS has final say on personnel decisions.

This makes me think that Polian was leaning toward letting Manning go and going with a rookie (Griffin?)

Irsay seems to respect Manning and feels some obligation to him. A new GM would have NO connection to Manning.

Irsay will make the call on Manning, Manning may be involved, but its Irsay's call.

Seems like a no-brainer.

...which may make it difficult to acquire the type of GM we want going forward. Perhaps the candidate(s) in question have turned us down because they want a say in what happens with Manning, the Draft, and the future. Irsay is simply not permitting it. Can't say I blame him, but it may dramatically shrink the potential GM candidate list.

...which may make it difficult to acquire the type of GM we want going forward. Perhaps the candidate(s) in question have turned us down because they want a say in what happens with Manning, the Draft, and the future. Irsay is simply not permitting it. Can't say I blame him, but it may dramatically shrink the potential GM candidate list.

You may be right.

However, even tho Irsay "dances to his own band", he's never seemed to act stupidly.

i think he would listen to a potential GM's opinion, and I'm sure he's seeking advice from other "experts". Theres no way he's making this decision solely on his own..

I doubt many GMs would have a problem keeping Manning and/or drafting Luck (viewed by most as a future good QB.

The fact that Irsay allowed Polian to "rule the roost" speaks volumes about this. I know some reporters have said Irsay wants to "take back his team", but I don't see him turning into a Jerry Jones. IMO, Irsay has made pretty good decisions in the last 10 years or so.

Perhaps, but maybe any potential GM that can't handle this one decision being made by the owner of the franchise isn't really the kind of guy that Irsay or we for that matter want in this organization. I mean, wouldn't this be akin to hiring another Polian type GM? I for one want someone who is flexible, open to new ideas, and not a egotist. In essense...Tim Tebow.

Or the Tim Tebow of GM's. :rolleyes:

This makes me think that Polian was leaning toward letting Manning go and going with a rookie (Griffin?)

Irsay seems to respect Manning and feels some obligation to him. A new GM would have NO connection to Manning.

Irsay will make the call on Manning, Manning may be involved, but its Irsay's call.

Seems like a no-brainer.

You are 100% correct...

..and I think that with him 'failing the physical' and working out at the Colts HQ every day...

Irsay will be the second person to know if Peyton is capable of playing at peak level again

You are 100% correct...

..and I think that with him 'failing the physical' and working out at the Colts HQ every day...

Irsay will be the second person to know if Peyton is capable of playing at peak level again

I also think Irsay deserves some credit for this. He'll shoulder the blame if the "Manning decision" doesn't work out.

It takes some of the pressure off the new GM.

Some of his tweets make you scratch your head, but the more I hear from irsay, the more I like him.

Maybe it means they are going to merge into one entity. One entity that has the skills of an owner & epic twitter skills, the other with the skills of a future HOF QB and some greatest QB skills ever. That's alot of skills!!!!!!!! His name will be Jim Manning.

Hm...who's brain wins? If it were up to Manning, he would be as far away from Twitter as possible. But Irsay seems to love it. Who wins that battle?

Maybe it means they are going to merge into one entity. One entity that has the skills of an owner & epic twitter skills, the other with the skills of a future HOF QB and some greatest QB skills ever. That's alot of skills!!!!!!!! His name will be Jim Manning.

Jim Manning lol that's funny

Seems like a no-brainer.

No, Polian doesnt believe in having a great vetran QB and replacing him with a rookie his first year... polian wanted to keep peyton and at the same time draft RGIII.... one thing i will never doubt polian on is his skills of evaluating QB's.. and i think come the combine Griffins stock is gonna rise alot.

No, Polian doesnt believe in having a great vetran QB and replacing him with a rookie his first year... polian wanted to keep peyton and at the same time draft RGIII.... one thing i will never doubt polian on is his skills of evaluating QB's.. and i think come the combine Griffins stock is gonna rise alot.

in a perfect world some sort of a move down the draft, getting rgIII AND an extra pick would just be sweet.

say, cleveland wants luck, and we swap with them for #4 and #23....or more.

polians last jmv interview was telling.

he said TWO cant miss QB's in the draft.

Oh really?

I seem to remember him letting harbaugh go to bring in an unproven rookie QB a few years back.

Lets see, what was his name? Oh yea, PEYTON MANNING.

And i seem to remember Leaf's stock rising after the combine too.

To quote Irsay...."Come on, get in the game."

PS... Polian drafted Collins too.

in a perfect world some sort of a move down the draft, getting rgIII AND an extra pick would just be sweet.

say, cleveland wants luck, and we swap with them for #4 and #23....or more.

polians last jmv interview was telling.

he said TWO cant miss QB's in the draft.

Yep its both Luck and Griffin.. problem is which one do you pick, i would take griffin, come the combine i think he's gonna out perform luck.. the extra picks with trading down is what that looks so good though... i really cant see how the colts can pass on that, if your gonna rebuild its the perfect move to make.

Oh really?

I seem to remember him letting harbaugh go to bring in an unproven rookie QB a few years back.

Lets see, what was his name? Oh yea, PEYTON MANNING.

And i seem to remember Leaf's stock rising after the combine too.

To quote Irsay...."Come on, get in the game."

First off why would his draft stock rise if he's already the top pick (ryan leaf) you cant compare leaf to griffin because griffin isnt the top pick....

Second please do not ever try to compare Jim to peyton again lol...... ever. If you look at peytons college stats compared to Jim youll see why it was a no brainer... polian knew what he was gonna get in peyton as well, the guy was a surgeon at Tennessee

And to my recollection it was Collins who took the giants to the superbowl wasnt it?

I think signing Collins was a panic reaction to Peyton's injury. They new, that Painter isn't enough, and Orlovsky has been underestimated.

Anyway I agree with WoolMagnet. I think Irsay wants to involve Manning in Colts' future. The "Manning-question" is a crucial part of rebuilding the team. My main concern is that Manning's state isn't improving as good, as it was communicated earlier, and he won't be at peak level soon. News about Manning's state is under evaluation, and we will draft Luck for sure, makes me doubtful... :(

I like Irsay's tweets, in an encoded way he lets us now, what he is up to. Just think of his tweet, before firing Polians...

Hm...who's brain wins? If it were up to Manning, he would be as far away from Twitter as possible. But Irsay seems to love it. Who wins that battle?

Good question, I definitely couldn't ever see Manning being a twitter junkie, lol! Two completely different thinking processes going on between the two.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 9, 2012 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, January 9, 2012 - personal shot

I also think Irsay deserves some credit for this. He'll shoulder the blame if the "Manning decision" doesn't work out.

It takes some of the pressure off the new GM.

Some of his tweets make you scratch your head, but the more I hear from irsay, the more I like him.

Too bad we can't say the same thing about you.

Agreed. What kind of message are you sending to potential GMs when the biggest and very first decision facing this team with them on board they do not get to make the call? What I have liked about Irsay over the tenure of the Polians is he let the football people make the football decisions.

This could signal to potential GMs that Irsay is going to get more involved and how many will want to put up with a meddling owner? As a fan I bash Jerry Jones because he is hands on way to much. I do not want to see our owner do the same thing.

I understand though why Irsay wants to be a part of it. This is the biggest decision facing this franchise since the 1998 draft. I know I would want to be part of it if I was the owner.

Yep its both Luck and Griffin.. problem is which one do you pick, i would take griffin, come the combine i think he's gonna out perform luck.. the extra picks with trading down is what that looks so good though... i really cant see how the colts can pass on that, if your gonna rebuild its the perfect move to make.

Trading the #1 pick and drafting RGIII is an attractive idea, but I don't think it's logistically feasible. There are at least four teams that desperately need a good QB (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, Washington), and they will probably all try to move up into the top three picks to get either Luck or RGIII. The Rams and Vikings don't need another QB and would trade the #2 or #3 pick in a heartbeat if the offer was lucrative enough. Even if the Colts trade down into Cleveland's #4 pick, both Luck and RGIII will be gone by the 3rd pick. The Colts could use the #4 pick to nab Kalil or Blackmon or trade down again and get a lesser-rated QB later the draft.

Agreed. What kind of message are you sending to potential GMs when the biggest and very first decision facing this team with them on board they do not get to make the call? What I have liked about Irsay over the tenure of the Polians is he let the football people make the football decisions.

This could signal to potential GMs that Irsay is going to get more involved and how many will want to put up with a meddling owner? As a fan I bash Jerry Jones because he is hands on way to much. I do not want to see our owner do the same thing.

I understand though why Irsay wants to be a part of it. This is the biggest decision facing this franchise since the 1998 draft. I know I would want to be part of it if I was the owner.

I don't think it is such a negative message to the GM candidates. Every candidate understands (or should understand?) that in this very question no owner would leave the decision only to a brand new GM who hasn't worked with PM before. Manning is an iconic player, and decision about his future is to complex and difficult, not to involve the owner.

This doesn't mean that future GM would be left out from this decision.

Besides, the team (Irsay) is short on time, and we even don't have candidate (candidates) yet. Talks on Manning shall start as soon as possible, until 8. march 2012. they have to decide to sign, cut, release or retire #18.

Who knows what that was about? There was a bit of a tussle yesterday on twitter between Irsay and @AdamSchefter yesterday

https://twitter.com/...092744828321793

Everybody seems keen to report on what the colts are doing.......thing is, they really do not know

Seems like Irsay successfully covers his intents.

To get news in this matter would be a #1 hit among reporters, and Adam S. obviously wants to score it.

I don't think it is such a negative message to the GM candidates. Every candidate understands (or should understand?) that in this very question no owner would leave the decision only to a brand new GM who hasn't worked with PM before. Manning is an iconic player, and decision about his future is to complex and difficult, not to involve the owner. This doesn't mean that future GM would be left out from this decision. Besides, the team (Irsay) is short on time, and we even don't have candidate (candidates) yet. Talks on Manning shall start as soon as possible, until 8. march 2012. they have to decide to sign, cut, release or retire #18.

I think anybody with common sense would understand why Irsay wants to be part of the decision making, but if he is telling them Manning and I will make the decision then to me that is a negative message to be sending out. If you have a faith in them to lead this franchise in the future you must have faith in them to make this decision.

Like I said though I can understand why he wants to be fully involved. With how much money is on the line now and in the future nobody can blame him for wanting to be so hands on with this.

Trading the #1 pick and drafting RGIII is an attractive idea, but I don't think it's logistically feasible. There are at least four teams that desperately need a good QB (Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, Washington), and they will probably all try to move up into the top three picks to get either Luck or RGIII. The Rams and Vikings don't need another QB and would trade the #2 or #3 pick in a heartbeat if the offer was lucrative enough. Even if the Colts trade down into Cleveland's #4 pick, both Luck and RGIII will be gone by the 3rd pick. The Colts could use the #4 pick to nab Kalil or Blackmon or trade down again and get a lesser-rated QB later the draft.

that is a definite risk-- a trade down might lose both. i dont see how miami or seattle move up though, too rich a price to get up there. with the OU and USC QB staying in school, they might have to go with either orton/flynn in free agency or wait till next year.

the price for our #1 is most likely higher than a #4 and #23 given the demand....

lets say we got clevelands top two and next years first....and someone moved up after that and got RGIII.

personally i think i would go with that bama RB with #4 over and let addai go. he was also one of the cant miss guys, fills a hole and should play immediately-- which i dont think a receiver can do in the colts offense. that would be a decent way to 'reload' for mannings last 3 years.

we should have an improved line in front of him-- the left side got some decent experience this season without killing him, a cant miss back to shore up the run and more pix....

No this can't be right he already said he was going to take Luck(not my words go read the threads in the draft tab), these people are easily influenced by the media. It's a joke. You think Irsay was gonna let it leak to Chris Mortensen(of all people) that he was gonna draft luck. No cause if he planned to trade Peyton he just turned him in to maybe a 2rd draft pick. Irsay is doing what a smart GM(he's not the GM, yes I kno) does he's playing his cards. And from the looks of it he's doing pretty good. He's got 2 hands, one says he's taking luck, actually it says if a good QB is available he's drafting him. The other says Peyton is staying, actually says the decision will be both to share.

Dang and just when everyone had it figured out, you go and drop this crap on them.

The highlighted part is clearly true because Polian was always giving out his draft strategy in January. Really nice guy that way - let the entire league in on his thinking.

Sarcasm off.

The highlighted part is clearly true because Polian was always giving out his draft strategy in January. Really nice guy that way - let the entire league in on his thinking.

Sarcasm off.

bill always was crystal clear in telegraphing the draft....

but by the same thinking NONE of what he said would be much more than a smokescreen.

all we are doing is speculating about a third option, which is sliding down, still getting a cant miss, and maxing out some pix.

that IS what this forum is for, right?

sarcasm uncalled for.

I assume it means that they will sit down together and have a very open and candid conversation. Each man will openly express himself, and in the end I believe their goal is to make the choice which is best for Peyton personally and best for the Colts organizationally.

exactly