Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schefter Says Chip Kelly May Not Return In 2016

krunk

Chip played with Foles one season, knew what he had there.  Decided Bradford was a better choice.  He's right, but neither is good enough.  Sam can't run anymore and is injury prone. OTOH, Foles lost his starting job to Case Keenum.  Chip needs to go another route next year, because Sanchez isn't it either.

As far as Murray, Bradford and DeMarco were team mates and roomates at Oklahoma.  They were successful-

Sam Bradford Passing Oklahoma 2008  (Heisman winner)

G     Att     Comp     Pct.     Yards     Yards/Att     TD     Int     Rating     Att/G     Yards/G

14     483     328     67.9     4720         9.8     50     8     180.84     34.5     337.1

DeMarco Murray Rushing Oklahoma 2008

G     Att     Yards     Avg.     TD     Att/G     Yards/G

13     179     1002     5.60     14     13.77     77.08

And the changing of Kelly's offense toward that of HC Bob Stoops and OC Kevin Wilson (HC at IU now) BCS contending 2008 Sooners-

http://fishduck.com/2015/07/the-dawn-of-the-second-coming-the-oklahomafication-of-chip-kellys-offense/

Looking at it form this perspective, the 'mad genius' really did have a plan.  It just didn't pan out like they hoped, yet.

Agreed on Bradford. I didn't have an issue with him getting rid of McCoy for Alonso. The problem is that he turned around and gave $40m to 1) another RB 2) who isn't a good fit with his offense. The McCoy move was defensible when the idea that backs aren't worth that much money, and McCoy wasn't the kind of back he wanted. Kind of blew those arguments out of the water by signing Murray.

Agreed on Bradford. I didn't have an issue with him getting rid of McCoy for Alonso. The problem is that he turned around and gave $40m to 1) another RB 2) who isn't a good fit with his offense. The McCoy move was defensible when the idea that backs aren't worth that much money, and McCoy wasn't the kind of back he wanted. Kind of blew those arguments out of the water by signing Murray.

Bradford / Murray using Stoops / Wilson offense was very effective... in 2008 at Oklahoma.  Not so in 2015 in the NFL.  The players are different now, and losing Herremans and Evans-Mathis and not getting better replacements doesn't help.  I'm sure the Sooners O line manhandled their D line opponents much better than the Eagles O line has.  And Chip knew Murray was a one cut and go North runner, it's not like he designed plays to make the MVP Murray below average.

Everyone gave Dallas line credit for Murray, but what have their running backs done this year?  How protecting "9" ?  And I thought I hear Eagles O line being praised last year...  Now both look pedestrian at best.

Bradford / Murray using Stoops / Wilson offense was very effective... in 2008 at Oklahoma.  Not so in 2015 in the NFL.  The players are different now, and losing Herremans and Evans-Mathis and not getting better replacements doesn't help.  I'm sure the Sooners O line manhandled their D line opponents much better than the Eagles O line has.  And Chip knew Murray was a one cut and go North runner, it's not like he designed plays to make the MVP Murray below average.

Everyone gave Dallas line credit for Murray, but what have their running backs done this year?  How protecting "9" ?  And I thought I hear Eagles O line being praised last year...  Now both look pedestrian at best.

There's something to be said for chemistry along the offensive line. The Eagles got rid of 2/5ths of theirs, and Jason Peters has been dealing with one injury after another all year. 

And Dallas has a similar issue to the Colts, in that their QB puts himself at risk more than he should. 

However, speaking of Murray's fit with the Eagles, it's questionable practice to take a one-cut runner and make him take the majority of his carries from shotgun sets. That's a drastic departure from what he did all last season, and I believe the splits show that he's more effective this season running out of traditional sets. Chip Kelly may not have liked McCoy's fit with his offense last year, but I think McCoy fit twice as well as Murray does. 

And there's still the issue of money to a RB. 

ruined is an understatement. he got rid of jackson maclin and mccoy

How is Jackson doing in his new home?

And he didn't get rid of maclin. He got way over paid in kansas city.

As Superman pointed out. His biggest mistake was paying Murray that contract. Mccoy seemed like a much better fit.

How is Jackson doing in his new home?

And he didn't get rid of maclin. He got way over paid in kansas city.

As Superman pointed out. His biggest mistake was paying Murray that contract. Mccoy seemed like a much better fit.

jackson had a good season last year, but hes been hurt this year, maclin has actually been pretty productive in KC

There's something to be said for chemistry along the offensive line. The Eagles got rid of 2/5ths of theirs, and Jason Peters has been dealing with one injury after another all year. 

And Dallas has a similar issue to the Colts, in that their QB puts himself at risk more than he should. 

However, speaking of Murray's fit with the Eagles, it's questionable practice to take a one-cut runner and make him take the majority of his carries from shotgun sets. That's a drastic departure from what he did all last season, and I believe the splits show that he's more effective this season running out of traditional sets. Chip Kelly may not have liked McCoy's fit with his offense last year, but I think McCoy fit twice as well as Murray does. 

"There's something to be said for chemistry along the offensive line."

I'll name one. Wins.

I agree but I think there were other issues with McCoy that made Kelly want to ship him out. Getting Murray was not a good fit for their offense as they need a shake and bake guy that is good in the open field not a down field runner.

jackson had a good season last year, but hes been hurt this year, maclin has actually been pretty productive in KC

Maclin and Jackson have played a combined 16 yrs and have a combined 6 seasons of 1k plus. And the only time Jackson has caught more than 62 passes is when he played for Skip.

Let's stop making out like the Eagles let a couple studs go. Good players, but replaceable.

Going to Bama after Jimbo hires forum favorite Tricky Nick.

Les Myles is probably out at LSU.

Wishful thinking at best. 

Saban will either stay at Alabama or end up in Texas. There's no way he's going back to the pros when he can sit on his big check in college, that he wouldn't get in the pros. Not to mention, his one time coaching in the pros was a complete utter failure, cause he's not head coach material in the NFL. 

Texas has actually offered him money, where the rumors with the Colts are just rumors with no real appeal to them. 

Kelly will end up back in college if he truly don't return to Philly in 2016. 

Saban will either stay at Alabama or end up in Texas. There's no way he's going back to the pros when he can sit on his big check in college, that he wouldn't get in the pros. Not to mention, his one time coaching in the pros was a complete utter failure, cause he's not head coach material in the NFL.

Texas has actually offered him money, where the rumors with the Colts are just rumors with no real appeal to them.

Can I get a link to where Texas offered him real money?

1 it was a joke, since many fans want no part of Saban....although I wouldn't mind.

2 he would make plenty of money in the NFL.

3 categorizing his stint in the NFL as an utter failure is flat out wrong.

4 why would he leave Bama for Texas? That makes zero sense.

Solid stuff as usual Booger....

Maclin and Jackson have played a combined 16 yrs and have a combined 6 seasons of 1k plus. And the only time Jackson has caught more than 62 passes is when he played for Skip.

Let's stop making out like the Eagles let a couple studs go. Good players, but replaceable.

next youre gonna tell me mccoy isnt a stud. 

next youre gonna tell me mccoy isnt a stud.

There is a reason I left him out.....duh.

You really going to tell me Maclin and Jackson can't be replaced? Hell, Maclin never had a 1k season until he played for chip. Throw two ACL injuries and one can understand why the Eagles didn't wanna match what KC offered him.

1 it was a joke, since many fans want no part of Saban....although I wouldn't mind.

2 he would make plenty of money in the NFL.

3 categorizing his stint in the NFL as an utter failure is flat out wrong.

4 why would he leave Bama for Texas? That makes zero sense.

Solid stuff as usual Booger....

Wooooo, a little edgy today fella? Oh, I forgot, you love to argue anyway and can't ever take a joke.

I live in Alabama, newspapers have been all over the Texas rumors for months. They would offer him more money, and he would have absolute control just as he does up in Tuscaloosa. At the same time, the rumors of him going in the NFL, have been constantly shot down since there is no solid proof of it, while Texas has made claims to 'Break the bank' for him. He left LSU for Alabama when they decided to put more money on the table for him, this is from his history. 

He wouldn't make the kind of money in the NFL he makes in college. Obviously you don't know that Saban loves money more than he does anything, since he is the highest paid football coach in the country. No one in the NFL is going to pay him the 13 million a year that he gets in college. And he is well known for being a control freak coach that has to have 100% control. He's not going to go for the NFL and be stuck battling Irsay and the GM at Indy for control.

Would be hilarious though if he does end up coaching the Colts. The train wreck would be even funnier than it was when he coached Miami and had his players turn on him. 

Wooooo, a little edgy today fella? Oh, I forgot, you love to argue anyway and can't ever take a joke.

I live in Alabama, newspapers have been all over the Texas rumors for months. They would offer him more money, and he would have absolute control just as he does up in Tuscaloosa. At the same time, the rumors of him going in the NFL, have been constantly shot down since there is no solid proof of it, while Texas has made claims to 'Break the bank' for him. He left LSU for Alabama when they decided to put more money on the table for him, this is from his history. 

He wouldn't make the kind of money in the NFL he makes in college. Obviously you don't know that Saban loves money more than he does anything, since he is the highest paid football coach in the country. No one in the NFL is going to pay him the 13 million a year that he gets in college. And he is well known for being a control freak coach that has to have 100% control. He's not going to go for the NFL and be stuck battling Irsay and the GM at Indy for control.

Would be hilarious though if he does end up coaching the Colts. The train wreck would be even funnier than it was when he coached Miami and had his players turn on him.

What was edgy about my post? I just corrected your misinformation.

Where was the joke in your post?

You live in Alabama? Yet you don't know that Saban left LSU for The Dolphins, not Alabama.

Why would he be battling Irsay? As an owner he has always let the person he hires do his job.

I agree but I think there were other issues with McCoy that made Kelly want to ship him out. Getting Murray was not a good fit for their offense as they need a shake and bake guy that is good in the open field not a down field runner.

What is Darren Sproles role?  How about Matthews?  I'll grant you one thing... Ryan Matthews is a much better RB in Kelly's offense the Murray.  As of Nov 9, he had 19 more yards on 39 fewer carries. Too bad Ryan is always seems to get hurt, and has been out recently.  Maybe Murray should be his change of pace back.  Here is Mike Mayok's take on the situation-

"Point blank, I think Ryan Mathews is better suited for this offense and that takes nothing away from DeMarco Murray. There are horses for courses, right? Some horses run better in certain courses. And DeMarco Murray is a downhill—and it doesn’t always have to be the I-formation—but he’s a downhill guy and the Eagles are a very simple run game. They’re kind of an inside zone game with, sweep. And I think that Mathews understands both of those and I think Murray struggles with the wide plays. Anything where he’s going lateral I think he struggles."

Seems X's and O's can matter as much as Jimmie's and Joe's. Which also brings up the question:  Was last years offensive MVP DeMarco Murray overworked? (over 500 touches including penalties and playoffs, and many predicted a huge drop off)  Or was he overvalued behind Dallas impressive O line?  OTOH, was two time 1000 yard rusher Ryan Matthews undervalued, despite multiple injury riddled seasons and running behind a decidedly more mediocre Charger O line?  But Superman is right, they spent big money on Murray, and now are stuck with him for a good while... but at least feed him the rock but in a way he is productive.  and it seems at times they have found a way.  Checking on the numbers past the November 8 games (one before Matthews left with a concussion) and not including Murray's dreadful 21 for 11 start, Murray had rushed 85 times for 397 yards – a rock solid 4.7 average. OTOH, over the same time frame, Mathews is averaging 6.4 yards per carry in his change of pace role.  But Ryan's injury history screams he can't carry the load at that level without missing time from getting dinged.

To me, I think the failed experiment of Bradford (who is still a better QB than Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez) and Kelly's coaching abrasive style is more detrimental to the team than the acquisition of DeMarco Murray. The emergence of Agholor would be a big help to eliminate the Maclin / Jackson references.

What is Darren Sproles role?  How about Matthews?  I'll grant you one thing... Ryan Matthews is a much better RB in Kelly's offense the Murray.  As of Nov 9, he had 19 more yards on 39 fewer carries. Too bad Ryan always seems to get hurt, and has been out recently.  Maybe Murray should be his change of pace back.  Here is Mike Mayok's take on the situation-

"Point blank, I think Ryan Mathews is better suited for this offense and that takes nothing away from DeMarco Murray. There are horses for courses, right? Some horses run better in certain courses. And DeMarco Murray is a downhill—and it doesn’t always have to be the I-formation—but he’s a downhill guy and the Eagles are a very simple run game. They’re kind of an inside zone game with, sweep. And I think that Mathews understands both of those and I think Murray struggles with the wide plays. Anything where he’s going lateral I think he struggles."

Seems X's and O's can matter as much as Jimmie's and Joe's. Which also brings up the question:  Was last years offensive MVP DeMarco Murray overworked? (over 500 touches including penalties and playoffs, and many predicted a huge drop off)  Or was he overvalued behind Dallas impressive O line?  OTOH, was two time 1000 yard rusher Ryan Matthews undervalued, despite multiple injury riddled seasons and running behind a decidedly more mediocre Charger O line?  But Superman is right, they spent big money on Murray, and now are stuck with him for a good while... but at least feed him the rock but in a way he is productive.  and it seems at times they have found a way.  Checking on the numbers past the November 8 games (one before Matthews left with a concussion) and not including Murray's dreadful 21 for 11 start, Murray had rushed 85 times for 397 yards – a rock solid 4.7 average. OTOH, over the same time frame, Mathews is averaging 6.4 yards per carry in his change of pace role.  But Ryan's injury history screams he can't carry the load at that level without missing time from getting dinged.

To me, I think the failed experiment of Bradford (who is still a better QB than Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez) and Kelly's coaching abrasive style is more detrimental to the team than the acquisition of DeMarco Murray. The emergence of Agholor would be a big help to eliminate the Maclin / Jackson references.

Great analysis all around. I have heard reports that the Eagles are NOT going to fire Kelly. They still believe he is the guy for the job. The question remains if he wants to stay. Plenty of GMs make personnel mistakes and miss on getting right the QB. Kelly may just need more time but the Eagle fan base is brutal. They want him gone. I think he has tough skin and may stay believing he can get the right combo together for next year. He really needs to figure out what to do at QB. I have no idea about the QB prospects next year in the draft but he will need to do something to be able to contend.

Great analysis all around. I have heard reports that the Eagles are NOT going to fire Kelly. They still believe he is the guy for the job. The question remains if he wants to stay. Plenty of GMs make personnel mistakes and miss on getting right the QB. Kelly may just need more time but the Eagle fan base is brutal. They want him gone. I think he has tough skin and may stay believing he can get the right combo together for next year. He really needs to figure out what to do at QB. I have no idea about the QB prospects next year in the draft but he will need to do something to be able to contend.

BOTT (I believe) brought up an interesting guy for QB in Philly, Colin Kaepernick.  And I think Johnny Manzeil could thrive in Chip's system, or would be a great #2.  Now that they are figuring out the RB situation, getting one or both of those guys would be something to look in to. Other opportunities might arise as well. Maybe they take the reins of Agholor too. 

I agree, if Eagles keep him on, Chip Kelly's ego won't let him go out like that.  He will jumble the roster some more and have another go at it. (Bradford is a FA, cutting Sanchez results in only a 2 million dead cap hit). He might even make it work next time, with the right combo of QB and draft/FA additions.  His Eagles were top 5 in offensive yards and scoring his first two years in the league, so it can work.  We'll see...

For grins, I'd love to see Chip Kelly pick up Johnny Manzeil for his system QB and see if they could team up to run roughshod over the NFC East in 2016 ... haha

If Myles is bought out, Chip just might go to LSU... If Nick Saban moves on, would Kelly consider Alabama? Or, would he go to Tennessee and re-unite with Marcus Mariota?

So many options... the future... hard to see... :dunno:

My guess is Chip would go to USC. He'd be back on the west coast, and he still has recruiting connections in the area. It would make the most sense IMO.

My guess is Chip would go to USC. He'd be back on the west coast, and he still has recruiting connections in the area. It would make the most sense IMO.

But there is no substantiated report of the Eagles organization wanting to oust Kelly (only Philly fans).  And Chip won't leave as long as he is not fired.  Ego and confidence in himself just won't allow him.

But there is no substantiated report of the Eagles organization wanting to oust Kelly (only Philly fans).  And Chip won't leave as long as he is not fired.  Ego and confidence in himself just won't allow him.

The only team I could see him leaving the Eagles for is the Titans. He has full control in Philly, he's started reworking that roster, and they have cap space. I think they can get Kaepernick (or even Griffin) and get back to the explosive offense they had originally. He'd probably love to get back with Mariota, but if he can find a QB that works in his system, they'll be able to compete again in that division. They have skill guys, they have really good DL and LBs; they need to rework the secondary and the offensive line, but it's not like they don't have any talent.

Come on Reid had McNabb that's way more than Chips had at QB. That's been his struggle since arriving in Philly.

Shady has been hit and miss this year because of injuries. He's finally looking healthy let's see for how long. It's better to get rid of them a year early than a year too late. I would not have paid Shady either. He's logged a lot of carries not a big back.

Reid is a great coach proven winner. I think KC makes the playoffs this year. I'm not saying Chip is as good a coach as Reid but the SB comparison isn't fair. A franchise QB is a must.

Rumor is Brian Kelly is leaving Notre Dame this year to take over the NYG. I would be happy to have Chip in South Bend if he leaves Philly.

Another college coach due for a bigger job is Leach. What he has done at Washington St is very impressive.

Chip Kelly asked for & was granted complete GM & HC control. He got exactly what he wanted & he obliterated the Eagles roster of athletic talent all by himself. Andy Reid played no part in Philly's football demise at all. 

I also seem to remember that Kelly got to trade Nick Foles to St. Louis & acquire Sam Bradford of his own free will AKC. Reid was never given total GM control as Kelly was & he never burned that team's roster to ashes either. 

I feel zero sympathy for Kelly whatsoever. He made this bed, was awarded more control than Reid ever was in his tenure, & Philly fans have extreme disdain toward Chip for dismantling their oce proud franchise. 

He's better suited for the college game & he needs to remain at the university coaching level forever. 

The only team I could see him leaving the Eagles for is the Titans. He has full control in Philly, he's started reworking that roster, and they have cap space. I think they can get Kaepernick (or even Griffin) and get back to the explosive offense they had originally. He'd probably love to get back with Mariota, but if he can find a QB that works in his system, they'll be able to compete again in that division. They have skill guys, they have really good DL and LBs; they need to rework the secondary and the offensive line, but it's not like they don't have any talent.

I take this with a grain of salt but Ian Rapaport just opined on NFLN that an exit from Philly to Tennessee for Kelly shouldn't be ruled out.

He added that the move would likely come with the understanding that Chip DOES NOT assume the full control that he "enjoys" in Philadelphia.

It's just a rumor and the complications of a HC going from one team to another come into play....but if the Eagles continue to crash and burn, maybe Jeff Lurie cuts him loose after all?

Let's be honest....it's not like having the wrong QB is their only problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head. His scheme and approach is college based. It worked for a couple of seasons because the NFL had not seen it and needed time to adjust. I think he may have had more success had he realized when he became head of personnel that you have to have talent to win. You can't trade away talent and replace it with mediocre or lousy talent.

And Belichick did not get that type of leeway his first few seasons. Certainly not in Cleveland and his first season and a half in NE. He had to earn it over the long haul. Of course it helped having #12 at the helm to make him "the genius." lol.

A decade of secretly videoing practices & cheating when ever possible would make any coach a genius . :D

Lurie showed patience with Reid, and I don't see that changing with Chip after one year of full control. Fact is you need a QB to win in this league and they don't have one.

A guy to watch out for in Philly is Paxton Lynch. Big, strong, mobile and can really spin it.

You let go nick foles, shady McCoy, two oline man, and u let Jeremy Macklin walk! I don't care what system you're running you need the athletes to do it. Nick Foles isn't doing good in St. Louis but same for Bradford in philly. I think if they had kept Foles Mcoy and Maclin they would've been in the playoff talk at this point and they will be real contenders.

You let go nick foles, shady McCoy, two oline man, and u let Jeremy Macklin walk! I don't care what system you're running you need the athletes to do it. Nick Foles isn't doing good in St. Louis but same for Bradford in philly. I think if they had kept Foles Mcoy and Maclin they would've been in the playoff talk at this point and they will be real contenders.

I wouldn't have paid Maclin that kind of money either.

One of those linemen Herremans?

Foles? Really?

Nick Foles isn't good. They traded McCoy for Alonso. They let Maclin walk because he wanted more money than they thought he was worth, and they still have Matthews, Agholor, and other serviceable receivers. 

None of those three guys play defense, and the Eagles just gave up 45 points two weeks in a row. 

I'm not really a Chip Kelly fan, but those moves aren't the reasons they're playing bad.

I heard on the radio today that Clay Helton was named the head coach. (The "interim" tag was removed from his title.) So, that job is no longer an option for Kelly.