Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Schefter Says Chip Kelly May Not Return In 2016

krunk

eagles-35.png  Eagles | Chip Kelly may not return    Tue Nov 24, 06:35 PM

Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly may not return as head coach of the Eagles next year, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com. Schefter said momentum and signs seem to be piling up against a Kelly return to Philadelphia.

Footballguys view: Kelly was a bold hire by the Eagles, but it just hasn't worked out for him. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the team move on unless they can somehow make a deep run in the postseason.

Link to story

I would think the Eagles would fire him regardless. He has ruined their team.

He won 20 games his first two seasons with dog crap at QB....after the team had won 4 the yr before. If Belichick had done that it would be held up as proof of his genius. I'm not sure if he/his scheme is ultimately a fit for the NFL, but the narrative on him is out of whack.

He won 20 games his first two seasons with dog crap at QB....after the team had won 4 the yr before. If Belichick had done that it would be held up as proof of his genius. I'm not sure if he/his scheme is ultimately a fit for the NFL, but the narrative on him is out of whack.

I think you hit the nail on the head. His scheme and approach is college based. It worked for a couple of seasons because the NFL had not seen it and needed time to adjust. I think he may have had more success had he realized when he became head of personnel that you have to have talent to win. You can't trade away talent and replace it with mediocre or lousy talent.

And Belichick did not get that type of leeway his first few seasons. Certainly not in Cleveland and his first season and a half in NE. He had to earn it over the long haul. Of course it helped having #12 at the helm to make him "the genius." lol.

I think you hit the nail on the head. His scheme and approach is college based. It worked for a couple of seasons because the NFL had not seen it and needed time to adjust. I think he may have had more success had he realized when he became head of personnel that you have to have talent to win. You can't trade away talent and replace it with mediocre or lousy talent.

And Belichick did not get that type of leeway his first few seasons. Certainly not in Cleveland and his first season and a half in NE. He had to earn it over the long haul. Of course it helped having #12 at the helm to make him "the genius." lol.

I don't think it really has to do with the talent level. Poor QB play, offensive scheme that puts your D on the field a lot, team adjusting to Kelly's scheme probably has more to do with. Then again, I'm not an expert on the Eagles so I could be totally wrong.

I don't think it really has to do with the talent level. Poor QB play, offensive scheme that puts your D on the field a lot, team adjusting to Kelly's scheme probably has more to do with. Then again, I'm not an expert on the Eagles so I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, I think that is it. Trading for Bradford was a mistake that anyone could see from a mile away. He is no threat to run so it made the read option ineffective. Plus he has durability issues on top and now is of course injured leaving them lousy Sanchez. Then the scheme of going a mile a minute gassed his defense. I really thought this season he would balance the extreme hurry up with a more traditional offense and keep defenses off balance but perhaps he does not know how to do that or does not have the personnel.

It seems like he has had enough and is going back to college. Will be interesting to see who the Eagles pursue.

For grins, I'd love to see Chip Kelly pick up Johnny Manzeil for his system QB and see if they could team up to run roughshod over the NFC East in 2016 ...    haha

If Myles is bought out, Chip just might go to LSU...   If Nick Saban moves on, would Kelly consider Alabama?  Or, would he go to Tennessee and re-unite with Marcus Mariota?

So many options... the future... hard to see... :dunno:

I would think the Eagles would fire him regardless. He has ruined their team.

Yep, all that talent he just got rid of is mind blowing. Also, Chip's rapid succession of offensive snaps coupled with an exhausted defense has been a colossal disaster. Kelly is gone. You're absolutely right AMF. 

Sidenote: I do feel bad for RB Demarco Murray though who is still a talented workhorse back in the wrong system. Chip has no idea how to use a downhill north & south runner at all. 

He's too cute or clever for his own good. 

Yeah, I think that is it. Trading for Bradford was a mistake that anyone could see from a mile away. He is no threat to run so it made the read option ineffective. Plus he has durability issues on top and now is of course injured leaving them lousy Sanchez. Then the scheme of going a mile a minute gassed his defense. I really thought this season he would balance the extreme hurry up with a more traditional offense and keep defenses off balance but perhaps he does not know how to do that or does not have the personnel.

It seems like he has had enough and is going back to college. Will be interesting to see who the Eagles pursue.

Bradford didn't turn out to be Kelly's answer at QB, but he is doing much better for Eagles than Foles is for the Rams.

Nick Foles

GS     Comp     Att     Pct     Yds     Avg     TD     Int     Sck     SckY     Rate                                    

2015 St. Louis       9       145     256     56.6  1,678     6.6      7       6       13     90         75.9

Sam Bradford

GS     Comp     Att     Pct     Yds     Avg     TD     Int     Sck     SckY     Rate

2015 Eagles          9       214     335     63.9   2,297    6.9     11     10      18     142        82.4

His system will work if the offense doesn't go 3 and out often, and backfires when it does.  Double edged sword.  Thire O has gone 3 and out way too much.  I wonder how Johnny Manzeil would look in Kelly's system?  Two black sheep teaming up to shut up the doubters?  Hmmmm......

Thanks for the link to the Shetfy interview Krunk. The thing I took away from it is this: Philadelphia is a smart & savvy football fanbase. They are fed up with Chip's aura of intellectual superiority & they are disgusted with the roster he assembled in it's place after proven playmakers like Shady Mccoy are gone from the city of "Brotherly Love" forever. 

Bradford didn't turn out to be Kelly's answer at QB, but he is doing much better for Eagles than Foles is for the Rams.

Nick Foles

2015 St. Louis       9       145     256     56.6  1,678     6.6      7       6       13     90         75.9

Sam Bradford

2015 Eagles          9       214     335     63.9   2,297    6.9     11     10      18     142        82.4

His system will work if the offense doesn't go 3 and out often, and backfires when it does.  Double edged sword.  Thire O has gone 3 and out way too much.  I wonder how Johnny Manzeil would look in Kelly's system?  Two black sheep teaming up to shut up the doubters?  Hmmmm......

I think his system can work, but it needs to be tweaked to more of what the Patriots do.  You can do a lot of up tempo but you also have to have some things schemed into the offense to slow down the pace, bang the football in the trenches and control clock. It can't just be uptempo all the time.

Yep, all that talent he just got rid of is mind blowing. Also, Chip's rapid succession of offensive snaps coupled with an exhausted defense has been a colossal disaster. Kelly is gone. You're absolutely right AMF. 

Sidenote: I do feel bad for RB Demarco Murray though who is still a talented workhorse back in the wrong system. Chip has no idea how to use a downhill north & south runner at all. 

What talent? A mediocre QB, a small overrated diva WR and Lesean McCoy who he replaced with the NFL MVP.

Nick Foles

Sam Bradford

I would rather take Kap for his system than the lil engine that could.

And just think Frank Gore was slated to be their starter before he decided to back out. Frank would be really kicking himself for making that move right about now if he stayed with his commitment.

What talent? A mediocre QB, a small overrated diva WR and Lesean McCoy who he replaced with the NFL MVP.

When Andy Reid was let go from Philly, there was talent on the Eagles roster BOTT. Chip just traded it all away & where is he now? About to get fired in January that's where...

And why sign RB Murray as a free agent if he refuses to use him correctly? Seems like a waste of owner Jeffrey Lurie's money to me personally. 

I also think it's clear that Kelly's nonstop, high tempo offense is a colossal failure on the NFL level too. In spurts, a fast tempo is fine, but not all 4 QTRs. 

If I was on the Eagles defense, I would be furious at Chip by now. Oh look, the offense went 3 & out yet again...God darn it! I'm so sick of the same crap every week. Grrr! 

When Andy Reid was let go from Philly, there was talent on the Eagles roster BOTT. Chip just traded it all away & where is he now? About to get fired in January that's where...

And why sign RB Murray as a free agent if he refuses to use him correctly? Seems like a waste of owner Jeffrey Lurie's money to me personally. 

I also think it's clear that Kelly's nonstop, high tempo offense is a colossal failure on the NFL level too. In spurts, a fast tempo is fine, but not all 4 QTRs. 

If I was on the Eagles defense, I would be furious at Chip by now. Oh look, the offense went 3 & out yet again...God darn it! I'm so sick of the same crap every week. Grrr!

Then why did Andy Ried go 8-8 and 4-12 with all that talent? Chip took it over and won 10 games. On offense those same guys had their best season under Chip...not Reid.

But I agree that his offensive philosophy might be hurting the defense.

Then why did Andy Ried go 8-8 and 4-12 with all that talent? Chip took it over and won 10 games. On offense those same guys had their best season under Chip...not Reid.

Chip won those same 10 games with the talent Andy accumulated BOTT. Players zone out a coach after about 8-10 years if they last that long that is. It's as simple as that. Their motivational speeches get old & tired after awhile. 

The Philly fan base is done with Chip Kelly because they know guys like Shady McCoy are being productive else where. I will concede though that Jeffrey Lurie should never have given Chip so much power to make personnel changes. That's not all Chip's fault. I will give you that point without any resistance BOTT. 

Best season under Chip? Who took the Eagles to a SB in 2004 season again? Andy or Chip? Case closed. Reid got Philly to a SB man. Kelly hasn't even sniffed one...

Chip won those same 10 games with the talent Andy accumulated BOTT. Players zone out a coach after about 8-10 years if they last that long that is. It's as simple as that. Their motivational speeches get old & tired after awhile.

The Philly fan base is done with Chip Kelly because they know guys like Shady McCoy are being productive else where. I will concede though that Jeffrey Lurie should never have given Chip so much power to make personnel changes. That's not all Chip's fault. I will give you that point without any resistance BOTT.

Best season under Chip? Who took the Eagles to a SB in 2004 season again? Andy or Chip? Case closed. Reid got Philly to a SB man. Kelly hasn't even sniffed one...

Come on Reid had McNabb that's way more than Chips had at QB. That's been his struggle since arriving in Philly.

Shady has been hit and miss this year because of injuries. He's finally looking healthy let's see for how long. It's better to get rid of them a year early than a year too late. I would not have paid Shady either. He's logged a lot of carries not a big back.

Reid is a great coach proven winner. I think KC makes the playoffs this year. I'm not saying Chip is as good a coach as Reid but the SB comparison isn't fair. A franchise QB is a must.

Rumor is Brian Kelly is leaving Notre Dame this year to take over the NYG. I would be happy to have Chip in South Bend if he leaves Philly.

Another college coach due for a bigger job is Leach. What he has done at Washington St is very impressive.

Part of his early success could have been the unorthodox way they run the offense. Not to the level of, say, the Dick Vermiel/Mike Martz Rams, but enough to screw with defenses for a while.

And with Reid's guys to run it...Kelly should be given credit for that.

But NFL DCs are, for the most part, very good at adjusting to unique schemes after a season or two....and its largely what we're seeing now.

Adding in the injury factor with guys like Jason Peters, Bradford and Kiko Alonzo doesn't help.

Kelly also created a "who's next" atmosphere with the sheer number of and the skill position-specific approach of his off season moves....generally not what one sees with a team arcing upward like the Eagles were.

On that note....Kelly may not be in quite the hot water he finds himself in had he simply done what many expected....which was to package a trade up for Marcus Mariota.

Or as you suggested, a move for Kaepernick.

At least then Eagle fans and a ravenous Philly media might see the method to his madness.

As it is now, I think a playoff miss could spell the end for Kelly in Philly and a ticket to either the Titans and a reunion with Mariota, or else its probably back to college where he'll have plenty of options and all the power he wants.

Part of his early success could have been the unorthodox way they run the offense. Not to the level of, say, the Dick Vermiel/Mike Martz Rams, but enough to screw with defenses for a while.

And with Reid's guys to run it...Kelly should be given credit for that.

But NFL DCs are, for the most part, very good at adjusting to unique schemes after a season or two....and its largely what we're seeing now.

Adding in the injury factor with guys like Jason Peters, Bradford and Kiko Alonzo doesn't help.

Kelly also created a "who's next" atmosphere with the sheer number of and the skill position-specific approach of his off season moves....generally not what one sees with a team arcing upward like the Eagles were.

On that note....Kelly may not be in quite the hot water he finds himself in had he simply done what many expected....which was to package a trade up for Marcus Mariota.

At least then Eagle fans and a ravenous Philly media might see the method to his madness.

As it is now, I think a playoff miss could spell the end for Kelly in Philly and a ticket to either the Titans and a reunion with Mariota, or else its probably back to college where he'll have plenty of options and all the power he wants.

You make it sound easy to package a deal for the 2nd pick in the draft. Why in the world would the Titans trade away a potential franchise QB?

But yeah, I agree that his offense is probably getting a bit figured out by defenses....as I stated earlier. But given time he might be able to adjust.....or maybe not.

{snipped content}

To the bolded part, I believe he fully investigated trading up.  But the Bucs would not budge off their #1 pick, and the costs to trade to #2 was too high with the Titans and it still wouldn't 100% ensure Mariota would even be there if Tampa decided to go with Marcus Mariota over Jameis Winston at the last minute.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/buccaneers/2015/05/09/eagles-chip-kelly-trade-draft-marcus-mariota-jameis-winston/27052859/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25170093/report-chip-kelly-made-big-offer-to-bucs-says-he-didnt-get-far-with-titans

To the bolded italicized part, I just don't believe the Eagles will dump him after just one year trying to get his system and his players installed.  There is a very minute chance Kelly would tell the Eagles goodbye after they offered to keep him on, but I really don't believe Chip's ego would let that happen.  I'm sure he doesn't want to go out like this season.  So my guess he gets one more draft and F.A. off season and see where they go next year.  Further regression would be doom.  If he gets the right personnel, and keeps them healthy, he might be back in the thick of the NFC East crowns again, being a thorn in the Cowboys and Giants sides.  Someone who wouldn't "Mortgage the Future" for Mariota sounds like a guy that has a plan and wants to stick around to see if it works.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/chip-kelly-wont-mortgage-future-on-marcus-mariota

Sam Bradford is a UFA for 2016, Sanchez is only a $2 million dead cap hit in 2016.The Eagles are not stuck with either or both of those guys.

Yeah his moves haven't panned out so far. They better win today or they are in big trouble. I think they lose actually. I still was puzzled is to why he would trust a QB like Sam Bradford to lead his team when the guy gets injured every season. I would've definitely kept Foles. I would've kept McCoy as well.

Chip played with Foles one season, knew what he had there.  Decided Bradford was a better choice.  He's right, but neither is good enough.  Sam can't run anymore and is injury prone. OTOH, Foles lost his starting job to Case Keenum.  Chip needs to go another route next year, because Sanchez isn't it either.

As far as Murray, Bradford and DeMarco were team mates and roomates at Oklahoma.  They were successful-

Sam Bradford Passing Oklahoma 2008  (Heisman winner)

G     Att     Comp     Pct.     Yards     Yards/Att     TD     Int     Rating     Att/G     Yards/G

14     483     328     67.9     4720         9.8     50     8     180.84     34.5     337.1

DeMarco Murray Rushing Oklahoma 2008

G     Att     Yards     Avg.     TD     Att/G     Yards/G

13     179     1002     5.60     14     13.77     77.08

And the changing of Kelly's offense toward that of HC Bob Stoops and OC Kevin Wilson (HC at IU now) BCS contending 2008 Sooners-

http://fishduck.com/2015/07/the-dawn-of-the-second-coming-the-oklahomafication-of-chip-kellys-offense/

Looking at it form this perspective, the 'mad genius' really did have a plan.  It just didn't pan out like they hoped, yet.

You make it sound easy to package a deal for the 2nd pick in the draft. Why in the world would the Titans trade away a potential franchise QB?

But yeah, I agree that his offense is probably getting a bit figured out by defenses....as I stated earlier. But given time he might be able to adjust.....or maybe not.

Sure, it's certainly not that easy to move up that far.....but GM/Coach Chip Kelly is now saddled with a whole bucket of these other "Chip Kelly guys" that the so-called genius insisted on.

If they were that much better than the players he dumped, then one would think they'd be winning the NFC East. 

Right now....they suck.

We'll see how long Jeff Lurie buys it.

To the bolded part, I believe he fully investigated trading up.  But the Bucs would not budge off their #1 pick, and the costs to trade to #2 was too high with the Titans and it still wouldn't 100% ensure Mariota would even be there if Tampa decided to go with Marcus Mariota over Jameis Winston at the last minute.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/buccaneers/2015/05/09/eagles-chip-kelly-trade-draft-marcus-mariota-jameis-winston/27052859/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25170093/report-chip-kelly-made-big-offer-to-bucs-says-he-didnt-get-far-with-titans

To the bolded italicized part, I just don't believe the Eagles will dump him after just one year trying to get his system and his players installed.  There is a very minute chance Kelly would tell the Eagles goodbye after they offered to keep him on, but I really don't believe Chip's ego would let that happen.  I'm sure he doesn't want to go out like this season.  So my guess he gets one more draft and F.A. off season and see where they go next year.  Further regression would be doom.  If he gets the right personnel, and keeps them healthy, he might be back in the thick of the NFC East crowns again, being a thorn in the Cowboys and Giants sides.  Someone who wouldn't "Mortgage the Future" for Mariota sounds like a guy that has a plan and wants to stick around to see if it works.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/chip-kelly-wont-mortgage-future-on-marcus-mariota

Sam Bradford is a UFA for 2016, Sanchez is only a $2 million dead cap hit in 2016.The Eagles are not stuck with either or both of those guys.

It could be that Lurie gives him one more year if they miss the playoffs....but if that fails....then its rebuild time again for the Eagles. Especially with ???s at QB.

Kelly was a risky experiment from the start....but Reid couldn't deliver a Lombardi either....so I guess it was worth a try. Maybe Kelly will turn it around but I ain't holding my breath.

Sure, it's certainly not that easy to move up that far.....but GM/Coach Chip Kelly is now saddled with a whole bucket of these other "Chip Kelly guys" that the so-called genius insisted on.

If they were that much better than the players he dumped, then one would think they'd be winning the NFC East. 

Right now....they suck.

We'll see how long Jeff Lurie buys it.

It's not like the guys he"dumped" are doing much. MCCoy is playing well, but I'm not sure he would be helping the Eagles much at this point. Hell, he led the league in negative/zero yard carries for the Eagles last year. Foles, Maclin, arent D Jackson aren't doing much for their new teams.

It's not like the guys he"dumped" are doing much. MCCoy is playing well, but I'm not sure he would be helping the Eagles much at this point. Hell, he led the league in negative/zero yard carries for the Eagles last year. Foles, Maclin, arent D Jackson aren't doing much for their new teams.

Nope....they aren't doing much.

Hey, I'll give Kelly credit for what he did his first two seasons in.....he caught a little lightening in a bottle with that offense....but right now, holy crap are they playing bad.

Who knows.....maybe Lurie gives him another shot next season and he can take a run at Kaepernick for QB....but the defense can't keep getting smoked like they did again today either.