Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

harrison

OLD FAN MAN

another great game for harrison against denver. he was making running holes and getting out taking out lbs and anyone else he could, he may have turned into our starting center

Harrison was horrible against the Broncos, his habit and getting too far outside his area is getting luck absolutely smashed.  His run blocking is good if there is no one directly over him but after the first quarter the Broncos saw that he was over committing to the double and they were just sending looping stunts right through the area he vacated.  Not only did Luck get hit a lot yesterday but many of those hits came with a LB running free, right up the middle at full speed.

As far as the rest of the line; AC seems to have come out of his slump, Thornton is the Colts best lineman over the past several weeks, Reitz shows he is going to struggle against speed and Mewhort has really improved blocking at the second level.

Harrison was horrible against the Broncos, his habit and getting too far outside his area is getting luck absolutely smashed.  His run blocking is good if there is no one directly over him but after the first quarter the Broncos saw that he was over committing to the double and they were just sending looping stunts right through the area he vacated.  Not only did Luck get hit a lot yesterday but many of those hits came with a LB running free, right up the middle at full speed.

As far as the rest of the line; AC seems to have come out of his slump, Thornton is the Colts best lineman over the past several weeks, Reitz shows he is going to struggle against speed and Mewhort has really improved blocking at the second level.

Mewhort had some problems yesterday.

I agree that Harrison was not good against the Bronchos, but I would not say horrible. He definitely has an issue with picking up stunts, just the way you described. He was able to recognize the stunt a couple of times and made an effort to block the stunting player a little, however he was still to late in his recognition of the stunt, but he is improving. Hopefully he will continue to improve, just at a faster pace.

Announcers praised Harrison more than any other OL guy but what do they know about football vs our fans on this site. Personally I thought he was our best OL guy yesterday. They all need to step it up in pass protection or they will get Andrew hurt badly.

Which announcers were those so I know which ones to never listen to again?

Announcers praised Harrison more than any other OL guy but what do they know about football vs our fans on this site. Personally I thought he was our best OL guy yesterday. They all need to step it up in pass protection or they will get Andrew hurt badly.

Honestly, that's not saying much, especially if they're national media.  They just mouth what the majority of the sports ether says.  Not that I blame them.  It's not like they only follow one team.

In watching the game over again, I really didn't see much difference in Harrison.  He's fine helping out (but let's face it, most guys look good two on one).  One on one however, was marginal at best.  As others point out, he tends to lock into one responsibility and if that changes on the fly (like with stunts), he seems lost quite often.  I know he has a reputation for being physical and can maul an opposing blocker one on one, but I really didn't see much of that either.

I agree that Harrison was not good against the Bronchos, but I would not say horrible. He definitely has an issue with picking up stunts, just the way you described. He was able to recognize the stunt a couple of times and made an effort to block the stunting player a little, however he was still to late in his recognition of the stunt, but he is improving. Hopefully he will continue to improve, just at a faster pace.

His rookie year, Thornton was horrible picking up stunts.  Hopefully, this is something Jonatthon can learn.

Their job priority is to fill dead air.