Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Telesco The New Gm?/scenario Jmv's Show.keep Caldwell And Promote A Gm From Within (Merge)

GoColts8818

I was out driving about and I heard them talking about the Colts GM job on the radio and Clayton came on and said that he thinks when it's all said and done Irsay is going to promote Tom Telesco from within to be he new GM of the Colts. He sigthed that the Rams wer also interested in him and that he thinks Irsay will hire him because he does like the idea of keeping some of what they have been doing in place and that he feels the Polians mostly got fired because of their poor relationships within in the office and that Irsay felt like he reached the point of the Polians must go or he was going to start losing the rest of his front office support staff. The guy ended the interview saying if Telesco is the guy that is probably good news for Jim Caldwell and could very well be why Irsay kept him in place is that he had his eye on Telesco all along but left the door open incase someone else wowed him during the interview process and wanted to go in a different direction.

Thoughts? Sorry no link purely radio interview although I will admit going in just because Clayton said it doesn't mean it WILL happen.

I was out driving about and I heard them talking about the Colts GM job on the radio and Clayton came on and said that he thinks when it's all said and done Irsay is going to promote Tom Telesco from within to be he new GM of the Colts. He sigthed that the Rams wer also interested in him and that he thinks Irsay will hire him because he does like the idea of keeping some of what they have been doing in place and that he feels the Polians mostly got fired because of their poor relationships within in the office and that Irsay felt like he reached the point of the Polians must go or he was going to start losing the rest of his front office support staff. The guy ended the interview saying if Telesco is the guy that is probably good news for Jim Caldwell and could very well be why Irsay kept him in place is that he had his eye on Telesco all along but left the door open incase someone else wowed him during the interview process and wanted to go in a different direction.

Thoughts? Sorry no link purely radio interview although I will admit going in just because Clayton said it doesn't mean it WILL happen.

This sound slike something Irsay would do..

..and you are right..

Despite what many have said.....

Its my thought that Bill Polian did NOT get fired because of the QB situation...

..and he did NOT get fired because of 2-14...

..he got fired because Bill was very, very hard to work with in any way..and it was either he go..or a lot of other people would go.

This would also explain why Caldwell didnt leave with the Polians......Irsay likes Jim Caldwell and so do his players

You are all over it...Go-C

This sound slike something Irsay would do..

..and you are right..

Despite what many have said.....

Its my thought that Bill Polian did NOT get fired because of the QB situation...

..and he did NOT get fired because of 2-14...

..he got fired because Bill was very, very hard to work with in any way..and it was either he go..or a lot of other people would go.

This would also explain why Caldwell didnt leave with the Polians......Irsay likes Jim Caldwell and so do his players

You are all over it...Go-C

I can't take credit for this one just reporting what I heard John Clayton said. It makes sense to me but hey that doesn't mean it's locked in stone either.

Hope not, but Isray did say wants continuity, so much for the false New ERA, if it means Caldwell stays, and that will happen if hired with in-house GM. What a sham (there's a sucker born every minute) it will be with the appearnce of reaching out to outside teams personal and wind up with-in house staff GM-No changes on coaching, philosophy, smurf size D players, cover 2, etc. I mean Caldwell is lingering around like the shadow, probably knowing his job is safe no matter what-

I absolutely hate the thoughts of Caldwell remaining, but I know nothing about this Telesco guy except that he is pretty young.

He's received a lot of credit over the last five years ago from other people inside the Colts front office, from both Polians to the guys who have left (Mudd, Moore, Anile, etc.) to Irsay himself. He's interviewed with other teams for GM jobs over the last couple years.

I actually could see him taking over and doing a lot of things differently from how an old head like Polian or his son would have done them. I could see him getting rid of Caldwell on Day One and getting another fresh prospect in here at coach. I would assume that he'll be a GM somewhere within the next couple years.

He's received a lot of credit over the last five years ago from other people inside the Colts front office, from both Polians to the guys who have left (Mudd, Moore, Anile, etc.) to Irsay himself. He's interviewed with other teams for GM jobs over the last couple years.

I actually could see him taking over and doing a lot of things differently from how an old head like Polian or his son would have done them. I could see him getting rid of Caldwell on Day One and getting another fresh prospect in here at coach. I would assume that he'll be a GM somewhere within the next couple years.

Exactly just because he worked here under Polian doesn't mean he's going to be Polian. Also just because John Clayton said if we do hire him he thinks it's good news for Caldwell doesn't mean it will be good news for Caldwell. It's best for people to sit back and wait and see what happens before rushing to judgement one way or another.

If Telesco will be promoted and we keep Caldwell, it seems obvious to me that we will also keep Manning (if healthy). But my gut feeling tells me that this is not how it will play out. Man, it's tough to follow up all that stuff from Germany :hissy: At least I am currently improving my vocabulary as I spend nearly half of the day with reading US newspapers/magazines online (IndyStar, SportsIllustrated, NY Times, Washington Post, this forum as well as all the other crazy stuff) haha

It is very possible, but upsetting all at the same time :(

If Telesco will be promoted and we keep Caldwell, it seems obvious to me that we will also keep Manning (if healthy). But my gut feeling tells me that this is not how it will play out. Man, it's tough to follow up all that stuff from Germany :hissy: At least I am currently improving my vocabulary as I spend nearly half of the day with reading US newspapers/magazines online (IndyStar, SportsIllustrated, NY Times, Washington Post, this forum as well as all the other crazy stuff) haha

What part of Germany.. spent some time in New Ulm..

Sorry to hijack..

How would you feel if Caldwell is his choice as coach?

Not good. The writing is on the wall for Caldwell. He was 2-14 last year. He's made coaching errors in key playoff games. I'm not sure how much "coaching" he does, but when you have one of the top payrolls in the league, as much talent as last year's squad had, and you go 2-14.... And it's the same mistakes and weaknesses year after year. I get it, he brought us to a Super Bowl year one. And the biggest difference in THAT game was coaching. Sean Peyton out-coached Caldwell, and it was significant. There are great coaches available, you have to make it happen in this business!

Well maybe Caldwell wasn't the probhlem and it was the Polians. I think the pulling the players and not going for a perfect season was Polian's decision but who knows. At least we saw that the players played hard for Caldwell in this lousy season and didn't quit and that says something about the coach. JMO of course but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens if this comes about. Who knows you may see a completely coach with the Polians gone. Time will tell I guess.

I personally think the QB fiasco was strictly the Polians and that maybe Caldwell would have played Orlovsky from the beginning but Polian drafted Painter so he started him and that Collins was a Chris Polian project from what I have heard. Hopefully things will turn our alright and we can get back to a winning season.

Polina not the one coaching during the game; That's JC-Playing hard? By getting blown out at times. If Tom becomes GM and Caldwell stays, media and fans will say just Irsay's decision- If Tom wants to assert his own authority, or whoever becomes the GM, should begin a new path of different coaches-How about Gregg Williams for HC-His D has usually been good.

NEW ERA, means NEW ERA. May be a split decision, outside GM (excuse don't know JC, want to evaluate another year)/keep Caldwell, in-house GM (know JC too well) then perhaps Bye Caldwell

Check out this link from Telesco's agent. Was with the Bills and the Panthers.

http://psr-inc.net/b...TomTelesco.html

You'd have to consider this guy a Polian protege considering that he's been following him for 20 years, and you'd have to assume that he's a key part of that draft evaluation system that Polian is always talking about. To me, that's a good thing, although I know that others on here want to go anywhere else.

Drafting tendencies aside, it pays to keep in mind that he appears to be comparable in age and experience to DeCosta, and equally desireable to other teams (being interviewed by the Bears and Rams). The grass isn't always greener.

Hope not, but Isray did say wants continuity, so much for the false New ERA, if it means Caldwell stays, and that will happen if hired with in-house GM. What a sham (there's a sucker born every minute) it will be with the appearnce of reaching out to outside teams personal and wind up with-in house staff GM-No changes on coaching, philosophy, smurf size D players, cover 2, etc. I mean Caldwell is lingering around like the shadow, probably knowing his job is safe no matter what-

Just because they promote from within, doesn't mean he has the exact same philosophies as his predecessor. Doesn't mean the team will draft the way it has or keep the same coaches or anything

I am hoping for a fresh start with a new GM from outside the organization. If Irsay do indeed pick Telesco I hope he scraps our present drafting philosophy of drafting injury prone, midgets and go with more athletic players. I also hope there is a whole new coaching staff with new schemes instead of the current crappy system we have in place. If it is Telesco and he turns out to be Polian Act II or Polian lite, what was the purpose of making the change in the first place?

I am hoping for a fresh start with a new GM from outside the organization. If Irsay do indeed pick Telesco I hope he scraps our present drafting philosophy of drafting injury prone, midgets and go with more athletic players. I also hope there is a whole new coaching staff with new schemes instead of the current crappy system we have in place. If it is Telesco and he turns out to be Polian Act II or Polian lite, what was the purpose of making the change in the first place?

Agree totally! Next man up should in no way shape or form apply to the FO or coach for that matter.

The purpose was to get the Polians out..

Apperently no one liked them and no open could work with them...Their PR skills were stone age

Its was addition by subtraction...and not meant to suggest a shift in player strategy..

Check out this link from Telesco's agent. Was with the Bills and the Panthers.

http://psr-inc.net/b...TomTelesco.html

You'd have to consider this guy a Polian protege considering that he's been following him for 20 years, and you'd have to assume that he's a key part of that draft evaluation system that Polian is always talking about. To me, that's a good thing, although I know that others on here want to go anywhere else.

Drafting tendencies aside, it pays to keep in mind that he appears to be comparable in age and experience to DeCosta, and equally desireable to other teams (being interviewed by the Bears and Rams). The grass isn't always greener.

This is an excellent point.

I made the point in another thread that Polian did not start drafting small players for a Tampa 2 system until Dungy, and it always blew my mind that he kept insisting on it after Dungy left. At both Buffalo and Carolina, he drafted players for a 3-4/zone blitzing scheme. Point is, I agree we need a change in philosophy on how we draft for D...even if we stick to Cover 2, we can move to a more Bears style which is still a legit D imo...and just because Telesco has worked under Polian for years doesn't mean he's a Dungy ball man.

That's strange that Telesco follows Polian around to 3 different teams, and instead of picking Telesco to be his protege, Polian picks his unexperienced son over him. That's kind of a slap in the face of someone who has been loyal, isn't it?

We still have the remnants of a Cover 2 defense. If Manning is back, Irsay and new GM might not want to scrap everything, so they may stick with what's in place until manning retires.

God this doesnt sound good to me , thought we would get a change

Just because Telesco would get the nod doesn't mean changes would not occur. Maybe this Telesco despised the way Polian handled the media and micro managed every aspect of the team and will allow his coaches to be the coach and accept accountability and expect players etc... to earn their checks. Maybe Caldwell is thought of as a person who is a good man, able to learn from his mistakes and have the ability to coach more effectively once he is allowed to make full coaching decisions. It may also mean he thinks Caldwell is a bad coach, good person but he makes a change due to his coaching flubs the past few years. At this point, I feel like fresh start and the fact that Telesco would be most in the know of how much Polian manipulated everything Caldwell has done over the 3 years. Who knows but I trust the new changes.

I would love that. A guy who knows how this organization ticks, demands respect from his peers in the organization and football circles and media likewise. I would be just fine with that. But I still think we can do better than Caldwell, IMO, for head coach.

Promoting from within is what Colts have always done in the past, it would not shock me if they went that way again for GM.

I dont mind promoting from within however Caldwell is a disaster as an HC and no good will come from keeping him. There will be coaches available cough cough zimmer, that would be much more beneficial to this organisation. If we keep Caldwell it will be another couple of very long seasons.

Not good. The writing is on the wall for Caldwell. He was 2-14 last year. He's made coaching errors in key playoff games. I'm not sure how much "coaching" he does, but when you have one of the top payrolls in the league, as much talent as last year's squad had, and you go 2-14.... And it's the same mistakes and weaknesses year after year. I get it, he brought us to a Super Bowl year one. And the biggest difference in THAT game was coaching. Sean Peyton out-coached Caldwell, and it was significant. There are great coaches available, you have to make it happen in this business!

The onside kick was outcoaching..

Pierre dropping a sure TD was outcoaching....

That's strange that Telesco follows Polian around to 3 different teams, and instead of picking Telesco to be his protege, Polian picks his unexperienced son over him. That's kind of a slap in the face of someone who has been loyal, isn't it?

We still have the remnants of a Cover 2 defense. If Manning is back, Irsay and new GM might not want to scrap everything, so they may stick with what's in place until manning retires.

That is odd. One would think Telesco would have been picked for the Colts GM when Polian was promoted to Vice Chairman. Instead the post went to Chris. Since both Polians kept absolute day to day control of all Colts related decision making to themselves, I wonder just how much experience and expertise Telesco has for the GM position - one that is extremely demanding now that we are in a rebuilding mode.

I would love that. A guy who knows how this organization ticks, demands respect from his peers in the organization and football circles and media likewise. I would be just fine with that. But I still think we can do better than Caldwell, IMO, for head coach.

Promoting from within is what Colts have always done in the past, it would not shock me if they went that way again for GM.

I hope Irsay decides to go in a different direction and go outside the organization for both a GM and a Head Coach. The last time Irsay made a game changing move was in 1998 when he fired Bill Tobin and Lindy Infante. Even Polian's harshest critics (like me) would have to agree that was a great move, at least in the early years. I would like to see an equally bold move this time.

I can only go by what I have read about Telesco, but from that I think it would be a great move. Bill Polian is a great talent evaluator. I don't know that anyone can argue with that. So if Telesco has learned from Polian and has that same eye, but maybe isn't as controlling and paranoid, I can't think of a better combination to have. He is a younger guy, relatively, for his position. I have heard him described as a blue collar, hard working guy that relates well with people. Seems like a good candidate.

I heard a very scary scenario today on jmv's show.Hear me out,if we are going to keep Caldwell and promote a GM from within, what really have we done other than fired a hall of fame GM. i am getting a feeling we all just got a ton of smoke blown up our you know what.If this is the case nothing has changed. Change means change and I dont see anything changing. We are gonna be stuck we Caldwell and a quality GM does not seem to be knocking down the door, ooooooooopppps we are in trouble.Can you say smoke screen???????