Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whisenhunt for OC?

Knuckles79

Absolutely.   The guy has been very successful as OC.   He's got some impressive offensive stats.

In 2012 the Chargers were 31 in total offense.  Whisenhunt was hired and in 2013 they finished 5th in total offense.  

He won a Superbowl as the OC in Pittsburgh.

As Head Coach he took Arizona to the Superbowl.

Not as successful in Tennessee, but I'm not going to condemn a guy too much for that.

I say replace Pagano with Whisenhunt.

If the Colts are going to have a crappy defense anyway, get rid of the defensive head coach (Pagano) and bring in the offensive guy.

No, thank you....he is a run-the-ball / play-good-D kind of coach.

He wasn't a good fit for Mariota and he isn't a good fit for Luck.

Run the ball, you say? Play good defense, you say? Chuck is in "build the monster" heaven and he's licking his chops!

No, thank you....he is a run-the-ball / play-good-D kind of coach.

and that is bad?

I know as Colts fans we are conditioned to have a lousy running game and an even worse defense.   Doesn't mean we should accept or embrace it.  

No thanks to KW! However, I'd very much like to elect our own, SUPERMAN, as OC! Anyone think I'm kidding? The answer is a resounding, NO, I'm not! The guy is a genius IMO when it comes to Xs & Os. There's no doubt in my mind, at least, he'd run circles around our current PH. If what I've seen on paper (the forum) is any indication of what his football knowledge is, it's a no-brainer.

Call me crazy, call me irresponsible, call me a lunatic, or anything else for that matter for suggesting this ... the fact remains out of all of the people who could come in and run a decent offense, it stands to reason what I've seen is NOT beyond the approach of reality.

Absolutely.   The guy has been very successful as OC.   He's got some impressive offensive stats.

In 2012 the Chargers were 31 in total offense.  Whisenhunt was hired and in 2013 they finished 5th in total offense.  

Hmmm.

Not as successful in Tennessee, but I'm not going to condemn a guy too much for that.

If the Colts are going to have a crappy defense anyway, get rid of the defensive head coach (Pagano) and bring in the offensive guy.

I'm not opposed to Whisenhut, but was it Whiz or McCoy who was responsible for that turn around? And the offense in AZ got Todd Haley the HC job in KC.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pool as HC though.

No thanks to KW! However, I'd very much like to elect our own, SUPERMAN, as OC! Anyone think I'm kidding? The answer is a resounding, NO, I'm not! The guy is a genius IMO when it comes to Xs & Os. There's no doubt in my mind, at least, he'd run circles around our current PH. If what I've seen on paper (the forum) is any indication of what his football knowledge is, it's a no-brainer.

Call me crazy, call me irresponsible, call me a lunatic, or anything else for that matter for suggesting this ... the fact remains out of all of the people who could come in and run a decent offense, it stands to reason what I've seen is NOT beyond the approach of reality.

Crazy

Irresponsible

Lunatic

Nut Bag

High

Brain Dead

Lap Dog

He's actually a rock solid OC. People forget that about him when they look at his HC struggles.

And it's funny, because people did the same thing when it came to Wade Phillips. After his stint in Dallas was up everyone was all "nah, that guy is junk."

But how about it now? Anyone want Wade Phillips as their DC?

Dunno where he will land, but I'm guessing that as long as he's got some decent tools to work with he's going to remind people that he's a pretty damn good OC.

LOL

I'm very under qualified. 

The Colts don't have a crappy defense

The Colts don't have a crappy defense

I disagree.  

They allow the 4th most yards per game.

They allow the 12th most points per game.

They are number 1 in penalty yards.

They are number 1 in time of possession allowed.

They are number one in plays over 20 yards allowed.

They are 5th in rushing yards allowed per game.

They are 27 in sacks.

This along with the eye test shows me that they are still a crappy defense. 

A few weeks later, y'all would be calling to stone him on the outskirts of town.  Let's just let him do what he does- moderate, and post thoughtful ideas, and clean up forum messes. Cleaning up the Colts offensive woes mess might be even too much for the Superman! 

I disagree.  

They allow the 4th most yards per game. 

They allow the 12th most points per game. 

They are number 1 in penalty yards. 

They are number 1 in time of possession allowed.

They are number one in plays over 20 yards allowed.

They are 5th in rushing yards allowed per game.

They are 27 in sacks.

This along with the eye test shows me that they are still a crappy defense. 

And pretty much all of that boils down to 2 issues...the horrible luck the Colts had to start the season in terms of injuries to the secondary and the fact that the Colts have committed the 2nd most turnovers in the league.  The offense and special teams keep giving the ball back to opposing offenses, giving them more opportunities to be on the field that most teams get against other teams.  If you really want to do a fair comparison, compare the yards/points given up based on the number of drives opposing teams have had against them.  That will give you a more accurate measure of how the Colt defense compares to others around the league.

And pretty much all of that boils down to 2 issues...the horrible luck the Colts had to start the season in terms of injuries to the secondary and the fact that the Colts have committed the 2nd most turnovers in the league.  The offense and special teams keep giving the ball back to opposing offenses, giving them more opportunities to be on the field that most teams get against other teams.  If you really want to do a fair comparison, compare the yards/points given up based on the number of drives opposing teams have had against them.  That will give you a more accurate measure of how the Colt defense compares to others around the league.

I agree the turnovers have caused some of the issues, but this is not a good defense.  

They played pretty well Monday though.   So maybe there is hope.

A few weeks later, y'all would be calling to stone him on the outskirts of town.  Let's just let him do what he does- moderate, and post thoughtful ideas, and clean up forum messes. Cleaning up the Colts offensive woes mess might be even too much for the Superman!

Now you know me better than that, CBFL! I've always been one to call 'em like I see 'em. Been around the NFL for over 50 years now and I would tend to think I know intelligent coaching when I see it. I agree with you concerning your post, very much so. The analytical football mind that Superman possesses is, at least in my mind, very rare to see out on an open forum. The man commands and holds all of the Xs & Os like a well-oiled machine. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he ever got a shot at the NFL in some form or capacity.

It's amazing the amount of talent out in the world that never comes to light. And that goes for anything or anyone. My evaluation of his "coaching talents" in reality might spell doom in some eyes, however, you just cannot dismiss the talent. That's all I'm saying. Whether people agree with me is of no consequence to myself or others. I just put this into the smallest amount of limelight there is concerning football forums. He's well worth that, and most exceedingly more IMO.

Hope this clears up what I stated earlier. I'd take my chances with Superman's talent over Pep Hamilton. It's only my opinion, though. But, I happen to think a good one. If others disagree, so be it. I cannot change that.