Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is our defense actually better?

Chucklez

The eye test would say that yes, the defense is better than last year, but almost nothing would indicate that....

Our D gave up a total of 83 points by this time last year compared to the 93 this year.

• Our run D looks better to the eye this year, yet we are currently ranked 25th against the run..... We were 15th against the run last year..... the rushing yards allowed per game is up from 113.4 per game last year to 119.5 per game this year.....
  • Our secondary has been flat-out terrible, even considering the injuries... Currently ranked 23rd compared to 12th last season.
  • Sacks wise, up to this point last year we had 8 sacks, compared to 5 this year.... (currently ranked 27th)

I get that our D has been put into some bad situations by our offense this year and that in that context, they have actually done a good job.... but not ranked higher than 23rd in ANY meaningful category is not exactly encouraging....

Id say heck yes. If our Offense would win the TOP battle, they'd be great. Problem is that we are losing the TOP almost 2 to 1 on the year because our O is in 3 and out mode

The corners behind Davis have been hurt all year and the front seven has really stepped up.

Would help if the offense could sustain more drives.

Yup the offense has hurt the defense. The quick 3 and outs and turnovers leading to short fields has put the defense in tough spots. I think the D has played well considering the circumstances they are put in and the big injuries in our secondary. People need to keep in mind that we haven't seen Toler Butler and Davis play together yet this year.

Walden is the starter and Werner rotates in. My question is who will be rotating in now as Werners replacement? Will we look at putting Moore there? Or will it be Trent Cole? Who will it be?

Eventually it will be Mathis at Rush and probably Cole at Sam though he is not as consistent as Walden at containing the edge, I know 1 thing for sure and that's that it wont be Newsome

What would this team look like with a young Robert Mathis? Or any stud rush linebacker? Things would be different. That, in a nutshell, is the team's problem.  A healthy Colts secondary with a pass rush, and this Defense is tough. Because there is absolutely no pass rush, the D remains a question mark. 

What would this team look like with a young Robert Mathis? Or any stud rush linebacker? Things would be different. That, in a nutshell, is the team's problem.  A healthy Colts secondary with a pass rush, and this Defense is tough. Because there is absolutely no pass rush, the D remains a question mark. 

I think if we can get Toler Davis and Butler back on the field together the pass rush will look better. We will get up into the WR's more knock them off their spots an extra second can go a long way when it comes to getting to the QB.  

I believe if we can get healthy this D has a chance to be pretty good. Mathis will get better as the season goes along. He isn't going to get 19 sacks again but I think it is safe to say we haven't seen him at his best yet.  We should start to get something from Moore and Irving as they get healthy and have a better feel for the system. The more time the new pieces get together the better they will be. It has only been 4 games.

As you pointed out the Offense and ST's have to do their part too. The field position battle and our O going 4 and out can kill a D. If I remember correctly in the AFCCG NE had 2 td drives less than 26 yards and 2 more less than 55 yards due to turnovers and poor special teams play.

We will get it turned around.

Our defense is garbage. We haven't played any good offenses yet. The defense won't be any good until we have a consistent pass rush.

Another poster who just tosses his opinion around like it is the truth. The fact is we have only played one offense that is not currently in the 15 in points scored this year. We have played 2 offenses that are top 7 in points scored.

We need to get to the QB that is a fact. I think we will see a more consistent pass rush when the secondary gets healthy and we can play our game. We have yet to have Davis Toler and Butler on the field together.

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/offensive-stats

Another poster who just tosses his opinion around like it is the truth. The fact is we have only played one offense that is not currently in the 15 in points scored this year. We have played 2 offenses that are top 7 in points scored.

We need to get to the QB that is a fact. I think we will see a more consistent pass rush when the secondary gets healthy and we can play our game. We have yet to have Davis Toler and Butler on the field together.

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/offensive-stats

When you defense is counting on Greg Toler to be a difference maker, you know your defense sucks. Our pass rush is a disaster, and Toler, even though he is a CB, will not help the pass rush 

What happened to Newsome??? My expectations were so high after last year.. C'mon dude tighten up.

Our line is better. There not "great" yet, but they could be. WE HAVE TO GET TO THE QUARTERBACK.

No.1 Priority Protect the Quarterback

No.2 Priority Get to the Quarterback

Football 101

Secondary has the potential to be a lot better Geathers looks good so far. Smith when he gets back from injury Toler and Butler stay healthy there serviceable.

When you defense is counting on Greg Toler to be a difference maker, you know your defense sucks. Our pass rush is a disaster, and Toler, even though he is a CB, will not help the pass rush

When we get Davis Toler and Butler healthy we will be able to get up and press more. An extra second just one will make a difference. It will open up more blitzing. Watch and see how having your top CB's on the field helps the pass rush.

When we get Davis Toler and Butler healthy we will be able to get up and press more. An extra second just one will make a difference. It will open up more blitzing. Watch and see how having your top CB's on the field helps the pass rush.

I would agree with this normally, but our pass rush has been so abysmal so far this year that opposing QB's have had literally almost all the time that they could ever need to throw the ball without even being under pressure.... Sure we have had a few sacks and sure we have had a few pressures, but they are few and far between.

We made Tyrod Taylor look like Dan Marino back there because he had AAAALLLLL day to throw and pick us apart.

Toler being back wont make anywhere near as much difference as people think it will unless our pass rushers can figure it out....

Deal is,yes.our defense is better. Run defense is vastly better.  We give up a lot less per carry than last year to Rb's. we give up 3.8 ypc vrs RB's this year, as opposed to NE's NFL worst 4.9. -just put that stat in for a cherry topping-

Teams have ran a lot more times against us, but we give up less per carry. They run more this year  because we are not playing with the lead as much as  last year, our offense picks up, and those total carries drop vastly.

Pass defense hurts because of injuries, actually feel lucky to be where we are -2/2- due to that.  

Pass rush will get better as the year continues. We have a lot of young guys, new guys, and guys coming  back from injuries.  They more they get comfortable with themselves, the scheme, and the guys beside them, this will improve.

Our offense kills the defense though.  Considering they have had trouble sustaining drives, and putting points on the board, Our defense have really had to step up.  If/when the offense ever gets in sync, you'll see a difference in the defense stat sheet as well.