Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We as fans should be fuming about the game today.

SilentHill

I know the sky is falling, as it should be.

When last season ended, we knew the Colts overachieved, making it to the AFC title game and then losing in a blowout loss @ New England, we knew there was a chance to win, but we also knew last season the Colts got smashed by almost every upper tier team they played. The loss @ NE last year was coming at us like a freight train, and while I know most of us tried to stay optimistic we all knew what was coming.

Then the off-season came around, we as fans surely thought, "Hey, there is no way the Colts are going to sit by idle and let that happen again, they are going to right the ship and get the problems fixed" Fast forward to present time, and after this Blowout loss @ Buffalo we know the cold hard truth. The Colts did absolutely nothing to improve with play calling and game planning. What were Pagano, Pep and Manusky doing all off season? Fishing in Alaska? Sure Grigson went out and hit the FA market signing a plethora of aging Veteran FA's and then spent our first round draft choice on a punt returner who cannot catch punts, but to me this is all minor in comparison to being COMPLETELY unprepared to play a football game. Did the coaches think this game against Buffalo was the 4th preseason game? Once again it took our coaching staff deep into the 3rd quarter to abandon their failing game plan, but as we've seen over and over and over again it was too little too late.

My question to those who are "complaining" about the negativity surrounding this loss, calling it "just one game" and mocking anyone who has a problem with the loss, is why should we as fans be OK with having the SAME problem for the past 3 seasons and NEVER seeing it be corrected? Should we just follow blindly and assume the team is doing it's due diligence? I know players and staff from the Colts read this forum, and I can just hope someone prints it out and uses it for motivation because something needs to change in this organization to get these things fixed.

For one it was not a blowout loss as the team fought in the end, I think the fans got caught up in the media and their expectations were too high. Honestly this is the type of game I expected. I just want the team to fight and get better each week. With this being the first game in a hostile environment with bad weather, I'm ok with this being a learning experience.

The problem with the "it's just one game" argument is that, yes, this is week 1, but the same problems from 2012 are apparent today. Week 1 of 2015, the 4th year of the rebuilding process, should not be the same old, same old. We have yet to address the issues that have forever haunted this team in the Grigson era. 

For one it was not a blowout loss as the team fought in the end, I think the fans got caught up in the media and their expectations were too high. Honestly this is the type of game I expected. I just want the team to fight and get better each week. With this being the first game in a hostile environment with bad weather, I'm ok with this being a learning experience.

Expectations too high? We made the AFC Championship last year, what are our expectations supposed to be exactly?

You don't get it. It's not the loss, go ahead and go back and read the OP. It's the fact that this staff has had ZERO progression from 2013 until now.

No progression? You're the one that pointed out they made the AFC championship game last year. They improve on talent and production each year. We just need to pull it together and not complain about progression after the first game of the season.

No progression? You're the one that pointed out they made the AFC championship game last year. They improve on talent and production each year. We just need to pull it together and not complain about progression after the first game of the season.

OK so, the TEAM made the AFC championship game, but the progression of the STAFF from 2013 until NOW has been as close to absolute 0 as you can get. Bringing in FA or Draft talent is not progression.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I think we are LUCKY that our game plan has worked against some teams and that we haven't had to make adjustments, but if you've noticed there haven't been many blowout wins in the Luck era, and that isn't because of a lack of talent, that is because of a lack of adjustments.

OK so, the TEAM made the AFC championship game, but the progression of the STAFF from 2013 until NOW has been as close to absolute 0 as you can get. Bringing in FA or Draft talent is not progression.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I think we are LUCKY that our game plan has worked against some teams and that we haven't had to make adjustments, but if you've noticed there haven't been many blowout wins in the Luck era, and that isn't because of a lack of talent, that is because of a lack of adjustments.

We won 8 games last season by more points than what the Bills beat us by today. We are a good team and we do make adjustments. How do you think we come back in so many games. I knew it would get to this point if we lost today but my goodness.

IIRC, Pagano's pregame interview indicated that he was concerned about the rain.  I don't know the preparation routine for NFL games, but if the HC is concerned about the rain, can a team go into the game and quickly adjust the offense's play calling so that it doesn't look like you only prepared to play in a dome....same long-ish passes?

I'm not quickly to criticize Pagano as much as others here do.   But Irsay or Grigs have to take notice of the similar slow starting pattern to the games, the O in particular, and affix blame on the correct person(s).

You don't get it. It's not the loss, go ahead and go back and read the OP. It's the fact that this staff has had ZERO progression from 2013 until now.

I'll give you that I for one am surprised that the O-line isn't more than what it currently is. I mean, we're starting Lance Louis. He was what, out of football when we picked him up last year? And this isn't even a depth guy, he's our starter.

I'll also give you that I think our coaches aren't much in the way of game planners. Especially on offense. Immediately abandoning the run on a wet, windy day against the defense that lead the NFL in sacks last season is really not helping Luck to be an efficient quarterback. It seems like the coaching staff sometimes make things harder than they need to be.

Having said all that, I still think we make the playoffs. Win somewhere between 9 and 12 games, win the division, probably win at least 1 playoff game... But just hope we don't meet up with a savvy coach that can expose the weaknesses of this team in the playoffs (looking at you Belichick) because it's plainly obvious that we do have plenty of weakness.

When last season ended, we knew the Colts overachieved, making it to the AFC title game and then losing in a blowout loss @ New England, we knew there was a chance to win, but we also knew last season the Colts got smashed by almost every upper tier team they played. The loss @ NE last year was coming at us like a freight train, and while I know most of us tried to stay optimistic we all knew what was coming.

Speak for yourself buddy.  You don't speak for all Colts fans, and you are incorrect when you say "we knew the Colts overachieved".  Some might think they underachieved, and nobody "knew" a loss at NE was coming.

Stop with the nonsense.

The coaches are who we thought they were, and unless you know of better options sitting at home waiting for a phone call from Irsay, then they are who we are riding with this season.   Unless you want to cheat to win like Belichick, then we are going to lose games because every team we play is different and we don't have the answer for everything that every team throws at us.

I, for one, have noticed improvements from the coaches.  Except for a few notable bad days, the run defense has steadily improved in the last few years.  We can run the ball too, but sometimes the game dictates that we throw (like today).  Running the ball and stopping the run have been cried to the rooftops over the years, and it's actually starting to happen, so just BE PATIENT.

We won 8 games last season by more points than what the Bills beat us by today. We are a good team and we do make adjustments. How do you think we come back in so many games. I knew it would get to this point if we lost today but my goodness.

The real question is how did we end up down in all those comebacks? It was only after stuff was going bad for sometimes multiple quarters before we made the correct changes, and this seems lke a recurring nightmare since 2013.

I know the sky is falling, as it should be.

Then the off-season came around, we as fans surely thought, "Hey, there is no way the Colts are going to sit by idle and let that happen again, they are going to right the ship and get the problems fixed" Fast forward to present time, and after this Blowout loss @ Buffalo we know the cold hard truth. The Colts did absolutely nothing to improve with play calling and game planning. What were Pagano, Pep and Manusky doing all off season? Fishing in Alaska? Sure Grigson went out and hit the FA market signing a plethora of aging Veteran FA's and then spent our first round draft choice on a punt returner who cannot catch punts, but to me this is all minor in comparison to being COMPLETELY unprepared to play a football game. Did the coaches think this game against Buffalo was the 4th preseason game? Once again it took our coaching staff deep into the 3rd quarter to abandon their failing game plan, but as we've seen over and over and over again it was too little too late.

My question to those who are "complaining" about the negativity surrounding this loss, calling it "just one game" and mocking anyone who has a problem with the loss, is why should we as fans be OK with having the SAME problem for the past 3 seasons and NEVER seeing it be corrected? Should we just follow blindly and assume the team is doing it's due diligence? I know players and staff from the Colts read this forum, and I can just hope someone prints it out and uses it for motivation because something needs to change in this organization to get these things fixed.

I couldn't agree more SH, it's amazing anytime we criticise the Colts for play like we saw today people will come out and say we aren't true fans. I'm the same way, say it like it is and today the Colts were simply a dumpster fire. What an embarrassment in coaching and play.......very frustrating. We are supposed to be at the top of the AFC and after seeing what I saw today I'm just hoping that we can get out of the South. We think that we have the South wrapped up but watch it for those Titans.

I really don't want to seem like a pessimist but if you look at that playoff run from last year objectively we really didn't face a team with a real passing threat and good X's and O's coach until NE in the AFCCG. Dalton is a slightly above average QB and they didn't have AJ Green or Gruden. Also don't forget Cincy had the worst pass rush in the league to boot. Peyton was clearly hurt and couldn't throw beyond 15 yards in the Denver game. It was still a good run but I think the flaws were still there.

The real question is how did we end up down in all those comebacks? It was only after stuff was going bad for sometimes multiple quarters before we made the correct changes, and this seems lke a recurring nightmare since 2013.

But we eventually got it turned around. Can't be Mr. Perfect all the time.

that's exactly what happen I knew all along we were going to struggle and I still was upset at the Loss, but I already figured we could lose to a defense that good.... yet and still we left plays out there. .. stupid penalties, special teams woes, horrid ilb play we only lost by 13 in a game where odds were heavily stacked against us and we still had opportunities to comeback

Speak for yourself buddy.  You don't speak for all Colts fans, and you are incorrect when you say "we knew the Colts overachieved".  Some might think they underachieved, and nobody "knew" a loss at NE was coming.

Stop with the nonsense.

The coaches are who we thought they were, and unless you know of better options sitting at home waiting for a phone call from Irsay, then they are who we are riding with this season.   Unless you want to cheat to win like Belichick, then we are going to lose games because every team we play is different and we don't have the answer for everything that every team throws at us.

I, for one, have noticed improvements from the coaches.  Except for a few notable bad days, the run defense has steadily improved in the last few years.  We can run the ball too, but sometimes the game dictates that we throw (like today).  Running the ball and stopping the run have been cried to the rooftops over the years, and it's actually starting to happen, so just BE PATIENT.

[/quote

Did you even watch the game? The play calling was bad. The defense got burnt by a guy making his first start. I bet the patriots are licking there chops contemplating the b**t whipping there going to give the colts, Nonesense ya right Nonsense is picking a w/r in the first round when you need o and d-line .

How much did our 1st rounder help today or for that matter will for the rest of the year?

I wouldnt blame Luck for not resigning with the colts, he wont last another couple of years getting hit like that all the time.

This is what I don't understand how some of ya'll can say we still have the same problems since 2012 but really it's not the same....the o-line did the best they could buffalo threw everything they could the whole game and luck got sacked like one or two times? Back in 2012 we couldn't even handle a 4 man pressure and the defensive line has improved mccoy didn't have a great game the big issue that still stands is not sticking with the running game and tackling.....we have to tackle better too many second chances

Did you even watch the game? The play calling was bad. The defense got burnt by a guy making his first start. I bet the patriots are licking there chops contemplating the b**t whipping there going to give the colts, Nonesense ya right Nonsense is picking a w/r in the first round when you need o and d-line .

How much did our 1st rounder help today or for that matter will for the rest of the year?

I wouldnt blame Luck for not resigning with the colts, he wont last another couple of years getting hit like that all the time.

Calm down.  Are there pieces of the sky all over your yard right now?  We went 0-2 last year.  So did the eventual champs.  I'm sure the coaches will make necessary adjustments after a loss like that.  We're only 0-1, like 15 other teams, so put the torch and pitchfork away.  If we go 0-6 or 0-9, get 'em back out.