Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wow, Chris Wesseling actually seems optimistic about our front 7!

Lawrence Owen

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000528114/article/colts-trade-conditional-draft-pick-for-de-billy-wynn

Chris Wesseling acknowledges the new faces of the Colts defense, and quotes praises for many of those guys.  even add's: "With those additions and the healthy return of five-time Pro Bowl pass rusher Robert Mathis, the Colts might stand a chance of competing with the Patriots in January" 

Glad the few Colts fans in these forums are not the only ones who see the potential anymore.... 

Good to see some recognition for signing and drafting defensive players. Some in the media act like the Colts didn't address the defense at all.

Every team in the league 'signed and drafted defensive players'.  The Colts did not do anything major to address the defense.. not by a long shot.

I actually feel okay about our LB corps, but our DL is pretty pathetic.  Sure, Parry and/or Anderson could end up being good players.  But to depend on a 3rd and 5th round pick to be your starters from day 1 is.. well, inexcusable.

Every team in the league 'signed and drafted defensive players'.

Here we go with the snarky responses. I'm completely aware every team signs and drafts defensive players. And I agree the Colts did nothing major to address the defense. My comment was purely a shot at the media. I feel as if some in the media act like the Colts did absolutely nothing to the defense.

Every team in the league 'signed and drafted defensive players'.  The Colts did not do anything major to address the defense.. not by a long shot.

I actually feel okay about our LB corps, but our DL is pretty pathetic.  Sure, Parry and/or Anderson could end up being good players.  But to depend on a 3rd and 5th round pick to be your starters from day 1 is.. well, inexcusable.

That 3rd round pick was considered by many as a 1st round talent to a 3-4 defense.  because he was considered not as good for a 4-3 as well, dropped his worth in the draft.

And if these guys performed well enough to not only play as starters, but to do so well as to have the previous starters released,..that is saying something.

IMO, Colts DID do something..they got guys they WANTED, that would fit the scheme, rather than what everyone else thought they should do.

Chris Wesseling? You had to dig deep to find someone lol

I grant you that.....been long time,..and Alot of 'Colts news and rumors" searching to finally see someone say something nice.

But in all fairness, No-one other than Mathis is proven as a Colt player in the front 7,...and that is the only real 'bad' news for the front 7,...just unproven...they could go either way.

I grant you that.....been long time,..and Alot of 'Colts news and rumors" searching to finally see someone say something nice.

But in all fairness, No-one other than Mathis is proven as a Colt player in the front 7,...and that is the only real 'bad' news for the front 7,...just unproven...they could go either way.

Trent Cole, Freeman, Langford, Jackson. All proven players, None are stars or will put up huge numbers and yes definitely could be upgraded but all produce when healthy

Not a proven 'Colt' player,...proven Eagles player.  How many times has a proven player left in free agency to another team and performance was lower?  

This is why i am somewhat against BIG signings,...you still take a chance he was big due to the guys beside him, or the scheme.

He is proven in what he is going to be asked to do which is hold the edge and pass rush, Now if Manusky starts asking him to go out and cover wr's then I'd say he is not proven (Not to mention I'd say Manusky lost his marbles....I have said this a time or two before about him watching him put Freeman out 1 on one with a WR).

I would more likely agree with you if for example we were bringing for example Kwann Short to play NT and asking him to hold his ground but we are asking Cole to drop back a couple yards in a zone which he did in Philadelphia and also get after the QB...which he is not Robert Mathis at but is pretty good. Many times when a player fails when going to a new team its because:

1.He chose the money over scheme fit and failed to live up to expectations because scheme don't match skillset

2.Coach is to stuck on his scheme to adjust his playbook to accommodate his new players skill

The first is on the player, The 2nd on the coach

Have you ever really listened found him or read his articles. Actually quote a knowledgable guy.

Colts absolutely stole this guy. One of my favorites to study pre-draft and reminds me of Kyle Williams: http://t.co/bdpDZUc32u

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein)

September 8, 2015

such as quoting Lance Zierlein's opinion of Parry?...his twitter even suggested that he thought Parry could end up BETTER than Kyle Williams!

such as quoting Lance Zierlein's opinion of Parry?...his twitter even suggested that he thought Parry could end up BETTER than Kyle Williams!

Oh for the love of...

I'm making the point of judge a person by their body of work as a whole and then you cherry pick one quite.

Have you ever really listened found him or read his articles. Actually quote a knowledgable guy.

I listen to every podcast. I would say his player evaluation is that of random guy at a pub. I think he is still waiting for RG3 to return to his rookie form.......

The problem I see with Parry is he don't have great anticipation and burst off the snap or very good closing burst into the backfield. He does show good hand use I think but I don't think he has the anticipation or burst off the snap or closing speed. Also limited range...His lack of ability at times to break down one on one was actually highlighted by Venturi well once in the preseason on particular play......I like him as a player better then Chapman however

I listen to every podcast. I would say his player evaluation is that of random guy at a pub. I think he is still waiting for RG3 to return to his rookie form.......

Ha that was last year, I think he's given up the ghost now. Agree to disagree. I don't rate his X and O breakdown but I do respect his knowledge of the history of the game and he's better then the other members of that podcast IMO. Though he did irk me with his stance on certain events over the offseason

Sorry too for the above, I'm grumpy today.

Oh for the love of...

I'm making the point of judge a person by their body of work as a whole and then you cherry pick one quite.

Sorry, I was just highlighting one of Wesslings quotes of Lances in the article i posted.  Lance is someone i actually think knows football.

As for Wessling...he actually picks the Bills to win the game,....mainly because of the Bills defense.

Sorry, I was just highlighting one of Wesslings quotes of Lances in the article i posted. Lance is someone i actually think knows football.

As for Wessling...he actually picks the Bills to win the game,....mainly because of the Bills defense.

He's not the only one out there thinking that.

Let's face it, if Taylor proves to be even passable as QB they're very dangerous. Besides its the 1st season for Rex where he'll win a few big games and get overly excited saying they're going to the SB.

He's not the only one out there thinking that.

Let's face it, if Taylor proves to be even passable as QB they're very dangerous. Besides its the 1st season for Rex where he'll win a few big games and get overly excited saying they're going to the SB.

lmao...i hear EVERY reporter pretty much use those exact words...lol

Yeah, their defensive front is fearsome, but without Marcel, they are not as dominant.  As long as Indy doesn't let Buffalo dictate the game, Colts will be fine.  My biggest worry is our guards..>.<

Every team in the league 'signed and drafted defensive players'. The Colts did not do anything major to address the defense.. not by a long shot.

I actually feel okay about our LB corps, but our DL is pretty pathetic. Sure, Parry and/or Anderson could end up being good players. But to depend on a 3rd and 5th round pick to be your starters from day 1 is.. well, inexcusable.

Eh I don't agree our dline is much better looking than our Lb corps being that Freemen and Jackson SUCK in the middle because they can't cover nor do they flow to the ball carrier when given the opportunity walden and Cole will be solid but until Moore and Irving take over for the other two ilb I'd put our Dline above them.. It was shown in preseason when parry or Anderson got penetration Jackson and freemen sat and waited patiently for the back to come to them instead of filling the hole left by the line to tackle the back

That 3rd round pick was considered by many as a 1st round talent to a 3-4 defense.  because he was considered not as good for a 4-3 as well, dropped his worth in the draft.

And if these guys performed well enough to not only play as starters, but to do so well as to have the previous starters released,..that is saying something.

IMO, Colts DID do something..they got guys they WANTED, that would fit the scheme, rather than what everyone else thought they should do.

:applause:  Exactly!

So you want to whine before the first game is played? I also have news for you. 3rd and 5th round players have starting jobs all over the NFL.

Eh I don't agree our dline is much better looking than our Lb corps being that Freemen and Jackson SUCK in the middle because they can't cover nor do they flow to the ball carrier when given the opportunity walden and Cole will be solid but until Moore and Irving take over for the other two ilb I'd put our Dline above them.. It was shown in preseason when parry or Anderson got penetration Jackson and freemen sat and waited patiently for the back to come to them instead of filling the hole left by the line to tackle the back

How do you know what this d-line is capable of. They haven't played a game yet.

How do you know what this d-line is capable of. They haven't played a game yet.

frankly I don't know but what I noticed in the preseason which is different from the previous two players cut on the line parry and Anderson got penetration consistently chapman and Hughes did nothing impressive but even during the switches of the lines the ilb corp looked horrible because they don't know how to fill in the holes they lack play recognition

I thought Grigson hasn't addressed the D?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:stir:

frankly I don't know but what I noticed in the preseason which is different from the previous two players cut on the line parry and Anderson got penetration consistently chapman and Hughes did nothing impressive but even during the switches of the lines the ilb corp looked horrible because they don't know how to fill in the holes they lack play recognition

They have yet to play a whole regular season game together. You, me or anyone else can say how they are going to jell together. As most it takes time to learn each others moves and tendencies. Just writing them off is pre mature. There was a reason linemen were cut and new ones took their place. Pre season tells us zero because there is not much of a game plan as a starting unit.

They have yet to play a whole regular season game together. You, me or anyone else can say how they are going to jell together. As most it takes time to learn each others moves and tendencies. Just writing them off is pre mature. There was a reason linemen were cut and new ones took their place. Pre season tells us zero because there is not much of a game plan as a starting unit.

you're right but even though it wasn't game planning how come chapman and Hughes could not penetrate any lines for that matter they've shown us more in preseason games than chap and Hughes have during thier regular and preseason games so I am looking forward to seeing how they progress but I'm always concerned with our little guys at ilb who don't know what to do when they see an obvious hole a rb is coming through lol

you're right but even though it wasn't game planning how come chapman and Hughes could not penetrate any lines for that matter they've shown us more in preseason games than chap and Hughes have during thier regular and preseason games so I am looking forward to seeing how they progress but I'm always concerned with our little guys at ilb who don't know what to do when they see an obvious hole a rb is coming through lol

Don't get me wrong as I am also concerned. The starters from last season wasn't doing a very good job at filling the gaps and that is exactly why the changes were made. Can't get any better when you don't try something different. Hopefully the coaches seen something in those new players that will turn out good. We all have to keep in mind that it will take time for these players to gel so to say. Only time will tell. If the Colts defense can just get to the middle of the pack I think the offense will excel. It would help if the offense can control the game and clock with a decent running game to go along with the passing game. There will be times when it might not look so good but playing together should make them get better with time. That's what I hope anyway. :)

We didn't depend on a 3rd and a 5th until they had a camp under there belts and outplayed other starters in preseason . A very simple concept .

We didn't depend on a 3rd and a 5th until they had a camp under there belts and outplayed other starters in preseason . A very simple concept .

We want only our 1st and 2nd rounders to contribute right away but beyond that, is it a disappointment if they make the starting unit? Someone call Antoine Bethea on the phone please because he contributed too early to help us win a SB in year 1 of being drafted. Tell him it was foolish of the Colts to rely on a 6th rounder as a starter.

Don't get me wrong as I am also concerned. The starters from last season wasn't doing a very good job at filling the gaps and that is exactly why the changes were made. Can't get any better when you don't try something different. Hopefully the coaches seen something in those new players that will turn out good. We all have to keep in mind that it will take time for these players to gel so to say. Only time will tell. If the Colts defense can just get to the middle of the pack I think the offense will excel. It would help if the offense can control the game and clock with a decent running game to go along with the passing game. There will be times when it might not look so good but playing together should make them get better with time. That's what I hope anyway. :)

I believe if Jackson gets benched we have a middle of the pack - top def we need to cover the middle of the field drastically

The defense was good last year... You can't rightfully expect a top 3 offense and a top 5 defense...

They had some tough games against good opponents, but still had a good season. I chalk up the stinkers to subpar coaching and injuries, myself.

If the defense is as good as last season's version, we will be in the SB, IMO.... Pats got worse, we got better on offense and I believe we are at least as good on defense (Robert Mathis).

Most in the media and many on this forum suffer from recency bias. The Pats games were outliers in a fairly stout season against some great RBs... We defended the pass well all year (except the one game against the Steelers).

We have issues vs. TEs and I'm certainly not saying that we are a lock for a top 10 unit... What I am saying is that the "can't stop the run " rhetoric is overblown and we should be a tougher opponent against NE this season.

Everything these days is political memery (thought I'd make up a word). Most of us watched the games. We saw the Colts get after QBs and shut down probowl caliber RBs all year, but many give that AFCCG too much weight in the equation, IMO.

I like the young guys on the D-Line... I think that this Chris dude is onto something.

The defense was good last year... You can't rightfully expect a top 3 offense and a top 5 defense...

They had some tough games against good opponents, but still had a good season. I chalk up the stinkers to subpar coaching and injuries, myself.

If the defense is as good as last season's version, we will be in the SB, IMO.... Pats got worse, we got better on offense and I believe we are at least as good on defense (Robert Mathis).

Most in the media and many on this forum suffer from recency bias. The Pats games were outliers in a fairly stout season against some great RBs... We defended the pass well all year (except the one game against the Steelers).

We have issues vs. TEs and I'm certainly not saying that we are a lock for a top 10 unit... What I am saying is that the "can't stop the run " rhetoric is overblown and we should be a tougher opponent against NE this season.

Everything these days is political memery (thought I'd make up a word). Most of us watched the games. We saw the Colts get after QBs and shut down probowl caliber RBs all year, but many give that AFCCG too much weight in the equation, IMO.

I like the young guys on the D-Line... I think that this Chris dude is onto something.

I like the the young fellas on the DL also. I think their is phenomenal potential with youth and athleticism. The big bodies didn't seem to bode well last year so I do like the new athletic look. They should be improved even with rookies because it's pretty tough to be worse than last years front.

Exactly...people read into the last game of he year too much.

the game we lost badly in:

Steelers: was close until the 2nd 1/2...we lost because we had NO decent depth behind our starting corners,..and 1/2 of them went down in that game early...and Big Ben took advantage.    Result: we drafted smith for depth.

Cowboys: Was the end of he year, we benched anyone and everyone who had a 'ding' so they would be healthy for the playoffs...including T.Y.

NE: They sit useing  6 linemen every game and run it down our throats. This is a coaching problem. NE says they will continue to do it until we stop it.

I don't know what our front seven is going to look like this year in terms of stopping the run. What I do know is that they are trying something different rather than hoping guys who haven't delivered to this point will come around. Take out Art Jones as he has been sidelined by injury the past couple of years and the only two guys from our d-line who impressed me at all last year were Corey a Redding who was aging and left in free agency and Kerr who is still here. Everyone else was just sorta there and Grigson has moved on from them and is trying new guys.

Yes they are young but they showed promise in the pre-season. I'd rather them learn on the job and know there will be mistakes then keep sending guys out there who you know aren't the answer but just hoping they will become the answer because they are experienced. Could Grigson maybe signed another vet or two in free agency? Maybe but at the time he expected to have Jones healthy and looking at maybe only having to start one rookie up front. That's why the Jones injury really stings.

As for the linebackers they made the backup middle linebackers at least better on paper. We will have to see if that translates to the field. OLBer they didn't add much in the run stopping department other than moving Werner which is what it is at this point. What they did do was add Cole and get Mathis back. They should only help the pass rush which should mean less blitzing guys who would have been blitzing can stay home to stop the run.

I know people might not have liked all the moves that were done to improve the front seven but it was really an overhaul. Now we will see how it pans out. I'll say this with some rookies getting the bulk of the time up front that might mean needing some,patience and not rushing to judgement either way after the Bills game. I also think Grigson is trying to balance win now with making sure the team doesn't fall apart in two years. So he's trying to find a young core of guys they can build around on defense. Might as well start with the group that needed an overhaul to start with.