Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter Clears Waviers.

RealityIsLuck

Of course we should bring him back!     This isn't a hard decision.

Year in and year out people here think when a young player is cut trying to make the 53 that it's time to say goodbye.

They forget about being pulled back for the practice squad.       Never fails.      We have the same threads every year.

Of course we should bring him back! This isn't a hard decision.

Year in and year out people here think when a young player is cut trying to make the 53 that it's time to say goodbye.

They forget about being pulled back for the practice squad. Never fails. We have the same threads every year.

I just think Carter deserves a spot on the 53over Whalen . He had a better preseason than him

Only thing Whalen has over Carter is Special Teams

Wait, all I heard was there were going to be teams falling over themselves trying to sign him. Huh. Guys not

Just because he wasn;t claimed does mean he won't be signed. He had lots of interest from other teams before he signed with us. He still has 3 years left on his deal, maybe teams would rather not claim him on the 3 year terms and just wait and sign him on a 1 year deal. I still think there's a good chance someone shows interest/signs him.

He cleared waivers. I think you give up a draft pick on waiver signings

He's on the PS where now he can just get plucked. Still a chance he can be taken

I'm not familiar with practice squad but what if he joins our practice squad and someone1 tries to sign him can he reject??

They forget about being pulled back for the practice squad. Never fails. We have the same threads every year.

I just think Carter deserves a spot on the 53over Whalen . He had a better preseason than him

Of course we should bring him back!     This isn't a hard decision.

They forget about being pulled back for the practice squad.       Never fails.      We have the same threads every year.

Yes, beginning today at 1:00 pm EST, we can build a 10 man Practice Squad for those that meet eligibility-

"First, a player must have a minimum of six games – up from the current three games – on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player’s three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.

All other practice squad rules under Article 33 of the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement will remain in effect during the 2014 and 2015 seasons."

(Article 33: The Practice Squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a Practice Squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.)

I'm not familiar with practice squad but what if he joins our practice squad and someone1 tries to sign him can he reject??

I suppose they could, but why would a practice squad player refuse to sign to an NFL teams 53 man roster? PS players minimum salary is $112,200.00 per season ($6,600.00 per week). He is assured a minimum 3 weeks pay on the NFL contact he signs, even if released afterward.

He cleared waivers. I think you give up a draft pick on waiver signings

He's on the PS where now he can just get plucked. Still a chance he can be taken

A team does not lose draft picks on waiver signings. 

Saying Carter had a better preseason is a bit of a stretch.  He had more opportunities than Whalen who is a known entity and they wanted to see what Carter could do.  Apparently they were not in love with his skills - if you have seen him play at all, why would anyone be in love with him.  He was remarkably underwhelming.

And why minimize ST's?  That is a very important part of the game and Whalen was decidedly better there.  At the bottom of the roster guys make the team based on ST's.

And part of Grigson's job is roster management - they took a calculated gamble that Carter would be there after waivers and now they can keep the guy they wanted on the 53 in Whalen and get Carter on the PS where he can further develop.  Kind of a shrewd move.

He can now be signed to anyone's PS.  The PS has certain salary limitations but I believe a team can pay more if interested in keeping.  Further, once a player is on the PS and another teams signs him, he has to be on their active 53 man roster for at least 3 games.

I suppose they could, but why would a practice squad player refuse to sign to an NFL teams 53 man roster? PS players minimum salary is $112,000.00 per season ($6,600.00 per week). He is assured a minimum 3 weeks pay on the NFL contact he signs, even if released afterward.

Has he actually been signed to our PS?  It may be in his best interest to go somewhere else where he may get play time sooner.

He has to know that barring injury he's not going to see the field other than STs even if he gets called up.

A team does not lose draft picks on waiver signings.

Saying Carter had a better preseason is a bit of a stretch. He had more opportunities than Whalen who is a known entity and they wanted to see what Carter could do. Apparently they were not in love with his skills - if you have seen him play at all, why would anyone be in love with him. He was remarkably underwhelming.

And why minimize ST's? That is a very important part of the game and Whalen was decidedly better there. At the bottom of the roster guys make the team based on ST's.

And part of Grigson's job is roster management - they took a calculated gamble that Carter would be there after waivers and now they can keep the guy they wanted on the 53 in Whalen and get Carter on the PS where he can further develop. Kind of a shrewd move.

He can now be signed to anyone's PS. The PS has certain salary limitations but I believe a team can pay more if interested in keeping. Further, once a player is on the PS and another teams signs him, he has to be on their active 53 man roster for at least 3 games.

I'm not minimizing ST. I'm minimizing Whalen on ST who himself isn't the best either. If we were looking for a ST WR, should've just kept Quan Bray. He was the best returner all PS imo

I'm not minimizing ST. I'm minimizing Whalen on ST who himself isn't the best either. If we were looking for a ST WR, should've just kept Quan Bray. He was the best returner all PS imo

A bad argument altogether compounded by the Bray comment.  You do realize that part of ST's is covering kicks, right?  Whalen can / does have an impact on ST's without being a returner.  

A bad argument altogether compounded by the Bray comment. You do realize that part of ST's is covering kicks, right? Whalen can / does have an impact on ST's without being a returner.

Use a defender as a gunner and let Bray return the kicks

I thought we solved our returner issue when we drafted Dorsett but it seems they have shed away from that thought for some reason now.

Use a defender as a gunner and let Bray return the kicks

I thought we solved our returner issue when we drafted Dorsett but it seems they have shed away from that thought for some reason now.

What is it with the Bray love?  The guy at least right now is not close to an NFL player.  Stay away from this argument - it does not help your cause.

And what has made you believe they are going away from Dorsett as a returner?  He missed a game in the pre-season and they wanted to get looks at other, marginal guys.  I would be shocked if Dorsett is not the PR come Buffalo.

What is it with the Bray love? The guy at least right now is not close to an NFL player. Stay away from this argument - it does not help your cause.

And what has made you believe they are going away from Dorsett as a returner? He missed a game in the pre-season and they wanted to get looks at other, marginal guys. I would be shocked if Dorsett is not the PR come Buffalo.

Cause they used Boom in the 4th game and others . If they knew Dorsett would be the guy, why put Boom out there? Just throw someone back there and let's get ready for Buffalo

No sense in putting your #2 back in danger

Cause they used Boom in the 4th game and others . If they knew Dorsett would be the guy, why put Boom out there? Just throw someone back there and let's get ready for Buffalo

No sense in putting your #2 back in danger

Nope. Boom did KR and Dorsett did PR and both are the presumed starters at said positions.